Fairburn: Tyrod Taylor on the Verge of a Breakout Month?

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fact: Week 7 - Bortles has more TDs than Taylor.

Fact: Week 7- Bortles has 8 less sacks than Taylor.

Fact: Week 7 - Neither Bortles nor Taylor has a single rushing TD.

Fact: Bortles has more rushing yards than Tyrod on roughly half the carries

Fact: Bortles has been asked to do significantly less than Tyrod on a per game basis this year. The only QB with fewer attempts per game than Bortles is Carr, and Carr missed half a game due to injury.

Fact: Bortles is averaging 190.7 yards per game, Tyrod is averaging 189.2.

Fact: Bortles has 6 turnovers to Tyrod's 2.

Frankly, I'd rather we get back to the offense of the last couple of years ago. A successful run game, with Tyrod creating a few big plays through the air. He's never going to be a guy who is going to throw for big yardage on a regular basis, and we'll lose if we try to force the issue, no matter the defense.

That's all well and good, but it's not that simple.

Fact: Bortles has more rushing yards than Tyrod on roughly half the carries

Fact: Bortles has been asked to do significantly less than Tyrod on a per game basis this year. The only QB with fewer attempts per game than Bortles is Carr, and Carr missed half a game due to injury.

Fact: Bortles is averaging 190.7 yards per game, Tyrod is averaging 189.2.

Fact: Bortles has 6 turnovers to Tyrod's 2.

Exactly. When our starting QB is equally as effective as Blake !@#$ing Bortles, that's not good.

But hey ... he's ready to BREAK THE !@#$ OUT!!!!

Can't wait to see it.

That's a nonsense narrative. Carry on.

So, considering yards per game is essentially equal, you're telling me you'd take 2 more TDs at the expense of 4 more turnovers? Seems like a losing proposition.

No. I'm simply stating that both of them suck and neither will be a starter in 2018. Because they suck.

Exactly. When our starting QB is equally as effective as Blake !@#$ing Bortles, that's not good.

But hey ... he's ready to BREAK THE !@#$ OUT!!!!

Can't wait to see it.

UNLEASH the Hounds ...

Oh wait ... Mike Vic is in town... bad idea

Key word - "effective." Equal. At best.

I keep reminding people

effective is not the same as efficient. 10/10 passing is efficient. @ 3 ypp, it's not effective

The Bills season, and likely his position on the roster, probably depends on it (barring some incredible run late in the year. This team, with the current state of the roster, cannot depend on just the defense to win games. I've been saying for weeks now that execution has been the number one issue, especially on offense. If they can do a better job up front, and get the run game back on track, then the Bills should be contending for a spot in the postseason.

If I were Taylor and the players on offense, I would have used this bye week to propose the coaches to install more of the concepts on offense that worked last year, especially more pulling linemen and more option runs. I get that Dennison's plan is to set up play-action, and needs to stick to the run in order to do so, but it hasn't been very creative, IMO. Lineman may have been pulling more frequently in recent games, but still not near as frequent. And again, option runs may help, since they've been very effective with Taylor and McCoy. I haven't noticed many draws, either.

But even if those aren't incorporated so much, the offensive line needs to do a better job blocking, especially in the run game. One missed block seems incredibly critical in this scheme, as defenses know how and where to attack it. Better execution there would be huge for this offense IMO. Less dropped passes would be nice, too.

And as for Taylor, he's playing very well at times, but it seems his poor performances outweigh those games. It's time for him to be the QB that many thought he could become at this stage of his career. He has a defense now that can be leaned on, but as the old saying goes, defense wins championships...but they don't always get you to the championship game.

That would be amazing! If you are a Bills fan then you want TT to have breakout games, make the tough throws, lead the team to wins! If he does this with consistency people will begin to stop posting criticism of his play. The problem is he hasn't been good, often or consistently. In the NFL, especially the QB position, is a show me position. Until TT shows he is can, Bills fans will remain disappointed and skeptical.

I dont even know why a team would blitz Taylor, just drop into zone with tight windows and watch Taylor go happy feet.

The incentive for defenses to blitz comes into play more on zone-read looks, where the D really needs to get to McCoy and maintain edge integrity so as not to allow a big play. In obvious passing situations, you're right.