Fairburn: Tyrod Taylor on the Verge of a Breakout Month?

I really think this is the crux of the argument and unless we get to the AFC championship or Super Bowl it will always exist.

It's not a simple argument or answer but it is a simple difference, at least to me. And these are of course in very general and generic terms. People that don't think Tyrod is good, or "a franchise quarterback" that everyone agrees all teams want and need, or that you "can win with him" will invariably compare him to other good QBs that have won. That's a legitimate stance. And it's also something he won't normally look well in. Although, even looking at it that way he is rated higher than people give him credit for.

And he has a crappy line, no real WR and one TE who is hurt. But that doesn't seem to matter.

But again, it's a legitimate argument that he is not a great pocket passer, he is not as accurate as most if not all franchise quarterbacks (which is true), he holds the ball too long (which is true), he doesn't risk "throwing guys open" which a lot of great quarterbacks do.

All of that is true.

But it's comparing him on an unfair level. The guys these people want can't do the things he does. Routine completions by Tyrod when he avoids the rush are sacks against the guys Tyrod detractors like. He very rarely turns the ball over. Teams are 3-34 this year with three or more turnovers. Jamies Winston, whom everyone seems to want and compare and is very, very good, had two himself and three as a team.

We don't seem to value not turning the ball over.

Tyrod could have 300 yard games and 2-3 TDs games but they would come with a price. Like a lot of turnovers.

Look at our sklll players. It's insane.

This is very well put :thumbsup:

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tyrod could have 300 yard games and 2-3 TDs games but they would come with a price. Like a lot of turnovers.

The reality is I'm not sure he could. And I am not one of the 300 yard warriors who thinks 300 yard games must equal wins.... but Tyrod is who he is. I don't think he can suddenly become a guy who stands back there reads the whole field and finds the open guy. I totally agree with you that the flip side of the coin is he can do things that other Quarterbacks who can do that can't.... and he has kept us in games over the years that a "traditional" drop back passer loses. He has also been a major factor in us losing games that a "traditional" drop back passer wins.

One thing is for sure though, I think he has contributed more to wins this season than in previous years. Most of his wins in 2015 and 2016 were days when the defense played well and the running game worked. The days the defense sucked (there were plenty of them) or the run game stalled Tyrod couldn't overcome. Two of our 4 wins so far have been games where he either had no run game to speak of (Denver) or the defense had a let down (Tampa). The Denver game and the second half of the game yesterday are versions of Tyrod that I could envisage winning a playoff game even.... the key is to be more consistent.

You also have to credit the Bills coaches and FO though.... they have realised the run game needed more variety and changed it and they have realised Tyrod needs speed receivers rather than a plethora of possession guys and brought in DT.

@JoeBuscaglia

Cut the Peterman clamoring, Tyrod deserves a ton of credit for the #Bills win. That and more in my 7 observations: http://www.wkbw.com/sports/bills/joe-b-7-observations-from-buffalo-bills-tampa-bay-buccaneers-10_22_17-

@AP_NFL

Tyrod Taylor answered his critics in comeback win over Bucs @john_wawrow

http://pro32.ap.org/article/qb-taylor-answers-critics-rallying-bills-beat-bucs

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. (AP) — Rather than focus on his critics, Bills quarterback Tyrod Taylor said he was going to spend the week concentrating on beating the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

It was time well spent.

Tyrod deserves a bunch of credit for this game he really surprised me and I am not one to give him much credit at all. I hope he can keep it up I would love to see him prove many wrong including myself. He won't get a bunch of praise from me till I see a playoff season out of him he is pointing in the right direction though. This is the type of game I expect from my QB.

Go Bills

@JoeBuscaglia

Cut the Peterman clamoring, Tyrod deserves a ton of credit for the #Bills win. That and more in my 7 observations: http://www.wkbw.com/sports/bills/joe-b-7-observations-from-buffalo-bills-tampa-bay-buccaneers-10_22_17-

@AP_NFL

Tyrod Taylor answered his critics in comeback win over Bucs @john_wawrow

http://pro32.ap.org/article/qb-taylor-answers-critics-rallying-bills-beat-bucs

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. (AP) Rather than focus on his critics, Bills quarterback Tyrod Taylor said he was going to spend the week concentrating on beating the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

It was time well spent.

Right on man.

He better do extra study on every game because critic's don't stop after one week. It's a long season he needs to take it one game at a time. Study hard brother.

Go Bills

Edited by xRUSHx

Tyrod is a pretty good QB. He is likely never going to be an elite top 5-7 QB, but he certainly is the best Bills QB to come along in a long time. Tyrod's detractors kind of forget how **** the Bills QB position was long before Tyrod got here. Tyrod offers the Bills a solid good competitive QB at an affordable rate, Tyrod also offers the Bills a chance to develop the QB position while having a good option in place at QB. The Bills can draft and develop QB's while Tyrod is here. Eventually the team can unseat Tyrod with a true high end QB or if Tyrod improves and the Bills are winning with him they can trade QB's that develop behind him.

Taylor certainly answered his critics...which includes me.

I was so proud of him....tears to my eyes.

Offensive game plan was adjusted what worries me is there a counter game plan to stop what was just used. We also played a team McD knows well and was home so that is a big advatage for this year one HC. Raiders are a top playoff team McD doesn't know as well this team will have to be at the top of there game, Tyrod is still climbing that hill but many more are on top pulling for him after this game. I agree a tear for sure. Go Bills

Offensive game plan was adjusted what worries me is there a counter game plan to stop what was just used. We also played a team McD knows well and was home so that is a big advatage for this year one HC. Raiders are a top playoff team McD doesn't know as well this team will have to be at the top of there game, Tyrod is still climbing that hill but many more are on top pulling for him after this game. I agree a tear for sure. Go Bills

Gameplans are opponent specific to take advantage of schemes and/or personnel advantages. We don't know what the Raiders are at this juncture.

@TyDunne

Tyrod Taylor is gaining believers at OBD. Here's Zay Jones on "one of the greatest playmakers" in the NFL, and why Taylor is different...

Every single player that talks about Tyrod heaps praise on him. As long as the guys on the team believe in him he can be successful. I love cheering for this guy!

The whole post was great but specifically this part. I looked through 300 yard games and found only 2 of the 49 came on less than 30 attempts and each of those were 29 attempts. Further down the rabbit hole 23 of the 49 were without ints. I don't know that I would trade Jameis' 70 extra yards of offense for 2 turnovers. Jameis is a much better passer than Tyrod I don't think that is arguable but there is more to being a quarterback than just passing. Taking care of the ball is an incredibly important aspect.

Tyrod deserves a bunch of credit for this game he really surprised me and I am not one to give him much credit at all. I hope he can keep it up I would love to see him prove many wrong including myself. He won't get a bunch of praise from me till I see a playoff season out of him he is pointing in the right direction though. This is the type of game I expect from my QB.

Go Bills

Right on man.

He better do extra study on every game because critic's don't stop after one week. It's a long season he needs to take it one game at a time. Study hard brother.

Go Bills

I give you a lot of credit for this post. I know it doesn't mean anything to do so but I just wanted to point it out. As one of Tyrod's biggest critics it is nice to see you show up and be supportive after a well played game. Not all of the anti-TT guys do that. Cheers! :beer::thumbsup:

it also came down to rico willing to make adjustments after the meeting. he deserves some credit as well.

Absolutely. Ive been a critic of Dennison, rightfully so, but it looks like he fixed the run game because of his willingness to adapt. Thats an uncommon trait in NFL coaches so I respect it.

Even though deep down I still feel that Peterman is the better option both in the short and long term, Taylor is the obviously still the guy and his 4th quarter play yesterday was L.A.R.G.E.

Will be interesting to see what happens with him and Deonte Thompson going forward. Don't sleep on Logan Thomas emerging as a weapon for this offense either.

Go Bills

Right on man.

Go Bills

That's pretty big of you. I mean that sincerely.

:beer:

Dennison should know the Raiders pretty well though.

Go Bills

Right on man.

Go Bills

afro.gif

He's been showing a willingness to adapt since the Panthers' game when he changed the approach to better suit Tyrod.

as he should of and did. which was cool.