Zay Jones. 5 of 23 is pitiful

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It’s a huge transition for WR going from college to pros. Many great receivers have taken several years to successfully transition. If not for the sorry state of our receiving corps, he would/should be benched. It’s bad right now - not just the drops, but stumbling out of breaks, failure to run correct routes and/or gain separation etc etc. We can only hope he turns it around, sooner rather than later

I read he's only been credited with 1 drop.

The others were deemed uncatchable by stat trackers.

Tyrod needs to be better, only completing 24 passes to WRs through 5 games....

Our whole WR team is basically tied with Chris Hogan for catches, yards and TDs.

Our whole WR team is basically tied with Chris Hogan for catches, yards and TDs.

Horse crap. I can think of 3 off the top of my head.

He's a rookie... Eric Moulds was pretty awful his 1st 2 seasons too and he turned out OK... Marv Levy never used to let rookies play much... He always said that "the best thing about rookies is after their 1st season they become vets"... Give the kid time to adjust to the pro game...

You read...

But have you actually watched Bills games this season?

If you have actually watched the games, the one drop stat is inaccurate.

He's a rookie... Eric Moulds was pretty awful his 1st 2 seasons too and he turned out OK... Marv Levy never used to let rookies play much... He always said that "the best thing about rookies is after their 1st season they become vets"... Give the kid time to adjust to the pro game...

Great post. I agree. The focus is somewhat unfairly on him due to injury and front office moves. Frustrating for us and him im sure.

I can think of 3 easily. Carolina last play if you want to blame him, Denver where we got a TD off him missing the catch and I believe it was Denver or ATL he was streaking up the middle and dropped a 15+ yarder.

He does get a hand on most of the balls, but they are very badly thrown and no where near the catch radius of an average receiver. Also, look at the list of top pass catchers in college, most of them haven't done ****. Too high expectations for a limited WR with a limited QB

He does get a hand on most of the balls, but they are very badly thrown and no where near the catch radius of an average receiver. Also, look at the list of top pass catchers in college, most of them haven't done ****. Too high expectations for a limited WR with a limited QB

Don't give me that. He's dropping easily catchable balls on too many occasions. It's excuse making or blame shifting to the QB.

He has a ways to go. Still think he has the talent and ability to be a #1 Wr. Putting those expectations on a rookie from a small school has not been the smartest of moves thus far. Historically, Wrs take a while to adjust. Some of the best Wrs ever have had drop issues early on. Comes down to Jones getting through it and succeeding.

Edited by Mat68

Preseason: Zay might be an upgrade over Sammy.

5 games into rookie season: Zay is the worst receiver in the nfl.

I think he will be fine. Sports, especially at the pro level, is all about confidence. He doesnt have any right now. By all accounts, he is a good hardworking dude.

He also plays in a terrible passing offense. But I believe in him as a player.

I was hoping the new regime understood that trading up in the draft is a bad idea. A lesson learned, I hope. Stay where you're at, take the best player, take as many players as you can. Rinse and repeat. Trading up for a receiver with no elite traits because of his college production at a small school was a horrible choice.

He does get a hand on most of the balls, but they are very badly thrown and no where near the catch radius

Gotta disagee.

He's dropped a number of catchable balls and/or lunged/leaped at balls he should have continued running through to make the catch, ultimately dropping them due to poor body position. It's also possible that some of those 'outside the catch radius' throws you cite were due to mis-running the pattern or bad sight reads on his part.

The kid better see a sports psychologist because right not his head appears to be a mess...

It's a fact that he's dropped a few catchable passes that have been right in his hands. To deny that is not fact based at all.

I dont disagree. I will say as a former washed up wr, if you only get a few opportunities a game to get your hands on the ball, you get in your head because you need to want to make a big play on every opportunity you get.

And if you drop a Pass, Your qb should get in your ear and tell you that Im coming right back to you and youre going to make a play for us. Our WRs go quarters without touching the ball.

He reminds me of Steve Sax and Chuck Knoblach throwing to first or Mackey Sasser throwing back to the pitcher. He has the WR version of the Yips. I'm confidant he'll get over it, but right now, he's plagued and a problem

Kinda odd that he had no problems catching the ball in preseason. So what was different?

IIRC he wasn't running with the starters, so level of competition. And it was the preseason, with no game planning or in-season DB coverage intensity. In other words, a 'slower', easier game...