Shaq Lawson Another Whaley Mistake?

Irv

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shaq is very good at the run defense. He's an upgrade from a player like Kelsay. He'll never be a big sack guy but he'll get a few each year.

Kelsay was a legendary drought player, Jaraun's 'lunch pail' classic player but sorely overrated.

But yes at worse that's Lawson's floor, I think he'll end up being much better even if he's not a huge sack guy.

A 300lbs guy is lean? Then who is fat or large?

Which brings me to the question... why has no NFL team taken a flier on a 450 lbs sumo wrestler? They are athletes and agile. Their job is to not be moved from a point in space.

At least bring one to camp... imagine trying to move that guy off of the center!! Sumo guy plays on 1st down only and goal line stands!!!

We will see that some day. (Unless the concussion thing, etc., brings a radical rugby-style reform to the NFL.) I see no end to the ever increasing size of line players. When I was a kid in the 1970s DTs rarely went above 270. 1980s: Refrigerator Perry was an amusement at 330-350. 2010s: Dareus is listed at 331; no DT on the current roster is under 290. Again, unless the rules committee makes some kind of radical change, I predict we'll see the first high-300s guys within a decade, and then what's to stop Sumo guy?*

*By the way, I also want to see the morbidly obese hockey goalie thing happen. ;) Pro sports used to be so much more fun in the Bill Veek "hey let's bring in a dwarf" days ... now being a losing franchise is just dull.

Number 19 pick overall. I give him a pass last year because he was hurt. I get that. But through 5 games he has 2 sacks and 12 tackles. When I watch him he just seems really slow. Is it the system or is he just not that good? Really low output for such a high draft pick. Disappointed.

If you dont understand technical aspects of football then sure I guess you could have this opinion

Number 19 pick to "set the edge". Pathetic.

Dominant pass rushers who can also defend the run and make an immediate impact rarely, if ever, fall into the bottom half of the first round --one went first overall last draft. And finding reliable starters with cap friendly contracts in the bottom half of the 1st round is what smart drafting is all about.

Box score scouting get teams into trouble, especially when it comes to pass rushers, like when the bills took Aaron Maybin over Brian Orakpo because he had a higher sack numbers in his last year of college. By being able to set the edge Lawson can play all three downs, and still provide some pass rush. Not bad at all for a 19th pick.

Edited by MURPHD6

Number 19 pick overall. I give him a pass last year because he was hurt. I get that. But through 5 games he has 2 sacks and 12 tackles. When I watch him he just seems really slow. Is it the system or is he just not that good? Really low output for such a high draft pick. Disappointed.

Watch the game a little closer or get all-22. He is good.

4 games = 8 sacks a season. Very good for a known edge setter.

But don't worry Whaley guys wear a scarlet letter shaped like a Star of David and likely not long for this team roster. Relax he will be an All Pro for the Chiefs or Eagles soon enough.

And stop with the Whaley mistake bull ****. Whaley assembled a playoff roster and Rex blew up the defense stopping that result.

Edited by cba fan

Set that edge baby! The most overrated and overused phrase on this forum.

You must not understand football to make such a statement. When the edge isn't properly set it means outside contain is lost and that leads to the defense getting gashed for big gains by an opponent's run game.

You must not understand football to make such a statement. When the edge isn't properly set it means outside contain is lost and that leads to the defense getting gashed for big gains by an opponent's run game.

Unfortunately there are a lot of people who don't...its like I want to bang my head into the wall reading some of the nonsense people say that has no basis in reality if they had small amounts of technical knowledge of things

Unfortunately there are a lot of people who don't...its like I want to bang my head into the wall reading some of the nonsense people say that has no basis in reality if they had small amounts of technical knowledge of things

It's an essential and fundamental aspect of playing the position. How that is lost on anyone with a semblance of understanding I don't know and to post it with such confidence. :doh:

He's a good player. Probably not going to be a superstar but solid starting role player.

This is good enough for me. He does his job and fills a role. It is about more than just the number of sacks. It is about making the team as a whole better, which he does.

Thanks

Edited by BillsEnthusiast

Dude, you need to stop box score scouting.

Actually box score scouting would be flattering.......he has more sacks this year than times he's actually touched a QB.

Being an edge setting DE is a nice occupation............Courtney Upshaw has been doing it for Baltimore and Atlanta for years and he makes around $1.2-$1.5M per year.......signs year to year contracts............that's good for a first round pick........amirite? :flirt:

Bottom line..........if he can't be a productive pass rusher Shaq will not be worth very much to NFL teams.............and being the closest guy when a QB runs out of bounds near the LOS or touching a QB's foot after he is down.......how he got his sacks this season........... is not really the kind of pass rush production that sets you apart.

Edited by #BADOL

I can't believe this guy isn't Bruce Smith 2.0; he was the 19th pick! BUST!!!

Ogbah taken after Shaq has 7.5 career sacks to Shaq's 4.

There have been many historical pass rushers taken in the late first/early second who have had more success than Shaq.

Edited by jmc12290

A 300lbs guy is lean? Then who is fat or large?

Which brings me to the question... why has no NFL team taken a flier on a 450 lbs sumo wrestler? They are athletes and agile. Their job is to not be moved from a point in space.

At least bring one to camp... imagine trying to move that guy off of the center!! Sumo guy plays on 1st down only and goal line stands!!!

Washington is not pudge. He's just a big dude

Having played 4 games that's 8 sacks and 48 tackles pacing.

In 2016 that's 8th in sacks and 2nd in tackles among all defensive lineman

Grades out as a very strong run stopper/edge setter.

He may not ever have the flash you want but is still valuable as 1/11th.

He was an AWFUL fit in the old scheme. Not a star in any scheme, but he a solid 4-3 end

You're not watching the games then. Shaq has been a great edge setter on this D and is great in run support. Number 19 pick should be a starter, not some automatic superstar. You, like many on this board, have much too thick rose colored glasses when it comes to the draft.

Just lock the thread right here. Nothing more needs to be said...

That sounds all well and good, but 2016 was an aberrational year for sacks in general.

In 2015, 8 sacks would've been a 5 way tie at 22nd in sacks.

In 2014, 8 sacks would've been a 6 way tie at 26th in sacks.

In 2013, 8 sacks would've been a 6 way tie at 36th in sacks.

Edit: whoops, you're comparing Shaq versus a much smaller sample size.

Shaq with 8 sacks would've still been a 9 way tie at 22nd in sacks in 2016.

Edited by jmc12290

You've been watching him play..........do you honestly feel he was on his way to 8 sacks this year?

In a fraction of the playing time street free agent Eddie Yarborough has put more pressure on the QB.

This is a pass rusher friendly scheme.

When Shaq is the biggest problem this team has I'll see you at the Superbowl victory celebration party.

Well, first rounders are the focus of "bust" talk.........so if they get rid of Dareus the only two original first rounders left to disappoint will be 3D and Shaq.

By your formula:

CHAMPIONSHIP!

That sounds all well and good, but 2016 was an aberrational year for sacks in general.

In 2015, 8 sacks would've been a 5 way tie at 22nd in sacks.

In 2014, 8 sacks would've been a 6 way tie at 26th in sacks.

In 2013, 8 sacks would've been a 6 way tie at 36th in sacks.

You're counting total sacks from all positions.

Among just D-linemen, it would have ranked as follows:

16th in 2015

15th in 2014

20th in 2013...

You're counting total sacks from all positions.

Among just D-linemen, it would have ranked as follows:

16th in 2015

15th in 2014

20th in 2013...

Why would we not?

Our 19th pick wasn't contingent on drafting DL only.

You've been watching him play..........do you honestly feel he was on his way to 8 sacks this year?

In a fraction of the playing time street free agent Eddie Yarborough has put more pressure on the QB.

This is a pass rusher friendly scheme.

Well, first rounders are the focus of "bust" talk.........so if they get rid of Dareus the only two original first rounders left to disappoint will be 3D and Shaq.

By your formula:

CHAMPIONSHIP!

Can't have any first round busts on your team if you cut them all.

Edited by jmc12290