Watkins admits he was selfish, upset after wins.

JM2009

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What would you rather, go 8 and 8 and barely be a part of the game plan? Or go 6-10 and light it up knowing you'll be making extra 10s of millions of dollars your next contract?

If you were to ask me and I was either the Bills HC or part of the FO and I had a player on the team that cared more about his production than wins, then you can bet your bottom dollar I would look to ship him out as well.

Because not only is that a flaw from Watkins in that particular thought, but it speaks to an overall mentality. These sort of thoughts don't exist in a vacuum, it's part of the makeup of a human being. If someone is selfish about something like that, then you better believe that this isn't the only thing he has this sort of mentality with.

I think the fact that he has participated in a level of introspection and has recognized that he may have not have behaved the way he could have is a good first step. I think he also recognizes that he is operating on more thin ice now than he was before. Being traded can be interpreted as a vote of no confidence and I'm sure that it stings him personally. And that if he is not able to put up the numbers that people expect him to put up on this second team then he probably realizes that the excuse train will eventually come to a screeching halt. And if he becomes a malcontent while he has lackluster production, well then forget about it. I believe he recognizes that he is at a critical juncture in his career.

Does he become what he believes he was destined to become? Which is an elite receiver. Or does he become a really talented guy that never lived up to his pedigree?

Why didn't they throw more balls his way?

You may want to ask Goff the same thing.

This argument that Watkins doesn't deserve targets is absurd. So agree to disagree. I can tell you that if McCoy came here from Philly and was getting less than 10 touches a game, he wouldn't be happy. And he wouldn't be wrong in talking about it to coaches (not the media).

The point you and so many others miss here is that Watkins has not proven he can play at at a high level consistently in the NFL. No doubt he has talent. Shady was when he got here a proven talent and he still is. As time goes on Watkins is showing himself to be selfish and his on the field performance does not justify forgiveness of it.

I halfway don't blame him. How many players piss their talents away, or have it pissed away for them by the team they play for? The red, white & blue circus the Ryan Bros. ran would make anyone despondent.

Brought to you by apologists for america.

Edited by Billsmovinup

If you were to ask me and I was either the Bills HC or part of the FO and I had a player on the team that cared more about his production than wins, then you can bet your bottom dollar I would look to ship him out as well.

Because not only is that a flaw from Watkins in that particular thought, but it speaks to an overall mentality. These sort of thoughts don't exist in a vacuum, it's part of the makeup of a human being. If someone is selfish about something like that, then you better believe that this isn't the only thing he has this sort of mentality with.

I think the fact that he has participated in a level of introspection and has recognized that he may have not have behaved the way he could have is a good first step. I think he also recognizes that he is operating on more thin ice now than he was before. Being traded can be interpreted as a vote of no confidence and I'm sure that it stings him personally. And that if he is not able to put up the numbers that people expect him to put up on this second team then he probably realizes that the excuse train will eventually come to a screeching halt. And if he becomes a malcontent while he has lackluster production, well then forget about it. I believe he recognizes that he is at a critical juncture in his career.

Does he become what he believes he was destined to become? Which is an elite receiver. Or does he become a really talented guy that never lived up to his pedigree?

I 100 percent agree with you regarding being a head coach or being in the front office.

I was purely talking about a player's perspective.

Now I don't agree with Watkins publicly saying he was selfish, but I am just saying if I am a player on a team who is not heading towards the playoffs, of course I am going to want more balls thrown my way.

I don't agree with the way he did it at all by calling out the coaches, but I can't blame him for wanting more targets.

Who wouldn't, especially when tens of million of dollars are on the line, and your team is going nowhere?

Edited by billsfan11

At least he's admitting to being a lockerroom cancer which was some fans insisted wasn't the case.

Probably also another reason Beane and McD wanted him gone.

No real revelations here. He wanted to be great, and was used to being great and to winning in college . So he admits he was sometimes angry even after a win when he didn't get the ball. No different than plenty of good NFL receivers have been through the years. Hardly a locker room " cancer". It's called managing egos , which just about every winning coach in the NFL has had to do. There's a reason the term " diva receiva " was coined. This stuff is so overblown. Think the tight knit Super Bowl Bills didn't have egos? Championships are rarely won with teams full of choirboys. It's still a bad trade because it was made due to money. Not because the Bills would be better. If they somehow turn the 2nd round pick into a player that is of similar quality, it could be a fair trade. For now, it's not good. Haters gonna hate.

The point you and so many others miss here is that Watkins has not proven he can play at at a high level consistently in the NFL. No doubt he has talent. Shady was when he got here a proven talent and he still is. As time goes on Watkins is showing himself to be selfish and his on the field performance does not justify forgiveness of it.

This. He has not approached anything close to a superstar. The amount of excuses for this is crazy. Why isn't Goff throwing to him?

What would you rather, go 8 and 8 and barely be a part of the game plan? Or go 6-10 and light it up knowing you'll be making extra 10s of millions of dollars your next contract?

Okay, assuming I now have become Watkins, then I would hope I would be a team player after already having earned millions of dollars. I'm admittedly biased because I, as a diehard Bills fan, would do more for the organization than would the actual Watkins.

I do think you're missing an option where the talented WR buys into team play and makes a lot more money because his team actually wins... maybe even more than 8 games.

This argument that Watkins doesn't deserve targets is absurd. So agree to disagree. I can tell you that if McCoy came here from Philly and was getting less than 10 touches a game, he wouldn't be happy. And he wouldn't be wrong in talking about it to coaches (not the media).

I said McCoy deserves more targets than does Watkins. The only person who said "Watkins doesn't deserve targets" at all was you.

But for the fun of it: McCoy logged 314 and 312 attempts in 2013 and 2014, respectively, with Philly, but then 203 and 234 attempts in 2015 and 2016, respectively, with Buffalo. BTW he's on pace for 272 attempts this year (less than those two Philly years), but, as I posted, has been complimented by the coach in the media for his team-first attitude.

Hope this doesn't sound harsh, but people that don't get this sentiment have probably never been the star player on their team. Regardless of what level you played at. Saying you're not happy after a win that you contributed little to does not mean you're happy with a loss where you contributed a lot to.

Watkins has that "FU, I'm better than you attitude" that drives many great athletes. An objective observer can see he is a criminally underused talent. A big part of that is bad luck with injuries.

I firmly believe you need guys like that to win. He is good and he knows it. Nothing wrong with that. He was still the first guy to congratulate his teammates after a TD.

Hopefully they get a rare talent with that 2nd round pick. Otherwise, it's still a horrible trade.

This. He has not approached anything close to a superstar. The amount of excuses for this is crazy. Why isn't Goff throwing to him?

Simple. He is the new guy. There isn't much of a comfort level there yet, especially with an inexperienced QB. He's going to look for his trusted targets, Gurley, Kupp that's he's thrown to for awhile. It will improve over time. The last game, I saw a play where Watkins was wide open in the end zone for a sure TD. Goff looked left and passed to Kupp, who was open but had to beat defenders to score the TD. He should have thrown it to Watkins, but didn't. The Rams offense is legit and has lots of weapons. He won't get tons of targets, but it will go up over time. It matters being in practices with a QB over OTAs and a full training camp.

I was happy to see him and Gilmore leave and said so at the time. Bills were smart to get what they did for him before he left anyway. Egoists who only wanted to promote themselves and were not team players. Good riddance.

Trust the process

Worst phrase ever award.

Hope this doesn't sound harsh, but people that don't get this sentiment have probably never been the star player on their team. Regardless of what level you played at. Saying you're not happy after a win that you contributed little to does not mean you're happy with a loss where you contributed a lot to.

Watkins has that "FU, I'm better than you attitude" that drives many great athletes. An objective observer can see he is a criminally underused talent. A big part of that is bad luck with injuries.

I firmly believe you need guys like that to win. He is good and he knows it. Nothing wrong with that. He was still the first guy to congratulate his teammates after a TD.

Hopefully they get a rare talent with that 2nd round pick. Otherwise, it's still a horrible trade.

Agreed. Good take.

While I don't disagree with much of what you wrote, the only way this becomes a horrible trade is if Sammy becomes a clear-cut top 5 WR for the next 7-8 years who plays most of the games.

Who knows what Watkins deal is, personally I would have preferred to keep him this season especially now that we very well may be in the playoff picture.

But I'll also go out on a limb and predict he won't be back with the Rams next year either especially since they have a ton of options and he's not getting the ball much there. Not sure any team is going to offer him a huge contract though.

Hes an !@#$ and always has been IMO. The minute his agent allowed him to start a website selling his merchandise (SW14 tshirts and bull ****) you could tell he was more concerned with his image and $ than being a team player for a common goal.

Now what do I do with my SW14 bracelets and paperweight?