Watkins admits he was selfish, upset after wins.

JM2009

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a bunch of BS.

Every player who has ever played the game wants to do well and have stats and help team win.

Yes they are happy when they win but they want to help the team win and are unhappy when they do not perform. Especially in pro sports where your performance dictates if you continue to get a paycheck. Most keep this quite and inside, but it is there.

You say "every player" as if everyone who ever suited up did so for the very same motivations. That's far from true.

Some players are more team-orientated and others are more me-oriented. Sammy admits he was toward the wrong end that continuum.

A lot of us suspected as much when Beane and McD quickly sent him packing. Teams typically perform better - all other things being equal - when the players are selflessly team-oriented - so Sammy had to go.

I'm glad, though, that Sammy acknowledges the problem - hopefully he can now correct it.

Edited by hondo in seattle

You say "every player" as if everyone who ever suited up did so for the very same motivations. That's far from true.

Some players are more team-orientated and others are more me-oriented. Sammy admits he was toward the wrong end that continuum.

A lot of us suspected as much when Beane and McD quickly sent him packing. Teams typically perform better - all other things being equal - when the players are selflessly team-oriented - so Sammy had to go.

I'm glad, though, that Sammy acknowledges the problem - hopefully he can now correct it.

Andre Reed wanted the ball on every play and was in Jim Kelly's ear all of the time. He was often a moody PITA. He'd have to go too I'm guessing.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

He was a cancer. An immature self centered jerk. But we got rid of him because we were tanking the season remember? As I said before, great trade. I do hope he gets it together and matures. He had the potential to be a great talent. It still remains that he need to be HoF to justify what Whaley gave up in the draft. So far, not so much...

http://billswire.usatoday.com/2017/10/06/bills-sammy-watkins-selfish-rams/

"Watkins went on to acknowledge that he was selfish during his time with the Bills as he was dealing with a foot injury and that it hurt relationships with his coaches and fellow teammates. He even went as far to say that at times, he cared more about his own individual production than the team winning games."

If he did say all that , then I'm glad he's been traded there's no way I want anyone on this team who cares more about his own stats then the team W's ......

I was pissed with the initial shock of losing Watkins. After a day or two, I was like we could use him but I didnt mind the trade. We got decent return for him. Now I just dont care anymore. The Bills will bolster the position with players who fit. This is year one and they are already doing a good job.

I'm not sure how to take this.

When i was 18 I only wanted to win... but if I only had 7 carries and we lost I'd usually be pretty upset after... usually because I didn't maximize my opportunities

If we won I could care less tho.

I feel for him. I can honestly say now that he will never live up to his draft hype. It must be hard, he was touted the best prospect since Julio Jones

I have no ill will... just wish he was 200% committed to the team when he was here

Okay, assuming I now have become Watkins, then I would hope I would be a team player after already having earned millions of dollars. I'm admittedly biased because I, as a diehard Bills fan, would do more for the organization than would the actual Watkins.

I do think you're missing an option where the talented WR buys into team play and makes a lot more money because his team actually wins... maybe even more than 8 games.

I don't know man. It is easy for us fans to say because we are going for that team.

If you are an individual with millions of dollars on the line, it becomes a completely different scenario.

I do think he handled it very immaturely, but I can't say I blame him when it comes to his own stats to a certain degree.

It is only human to stress out about lack of targets, when it would be costing him millions and millions of dollars

The key phrase is "hurt relationships with his coaches and fellow teammates". It's one thing to want the ball, it's another to allow that to hurt relationships with teammates. That's a huge issue. I've seen people use comparisons to guys like Andre Reed. Sure, Reed wanted the ball all of the time as well, but did it actually hurt his reputation in the locker room? None (I think) of us are in that locker room. We have no idea how he may have rubbed people the wrong way. Comparing Watkins to other receivers doesn't prove a point. Everyone is different. He may have went about expressing his displeasure in a more negative manner than others.

Gurley is probably the best all around RB in football right now. Yes, I would take the Rams offensive weapons over the Bills in a moment if they could trade players. You can't just plug a WR in with a very inexperienced QB with a partial trading camp and no OTAs and expect instant results. It's very relevant. If the Rams lacked other good players ,he would be looked to more frequently. If you think the Bills and Rams offenses are comparable you might want to actually watch the Rams games. The Rams have a potent offense. The Bills Offense sans Watkins is just very boring.

While the Bills could certainly use Watkins talent and familiarity. Let's not make any excuses for Watkins. Kupp and Woods are also new guys to the Rams. Yes those two had more time, but I think the bottom line is that he may just be a pretty good receiver but not even close to elite, and that's why his production is inconsistent.

We have a talented oft injured wide receiver admitting to being a me first guy. Add in the fact that the player was coming up for free agency, the Bills did the right thing. I wonder if Watkins had to say these things, GM's talk.

Keyshawn Johnson wrote a book about it. TO, randy moss, Ocho cinco... and Sammy is over the line?

Percy Harvin choke slammed a position coach.

Dez Bryant is always a mess and demanding the ball

It's a position of big egos and relying on making yourself the center of attention because you rely on others giving you attention. This quotes barely a blip. The trick is figuring out how to manage these guys.

Keyshawn Johnson wrote a book about it. TO, randy moss, Ocho cinco... and Sammy is over the line?

Percy Harvin choke slammed a position coach.

Dez Bryant is always a mess and demanding the ball

It's a position of big egos and relying on making yourself the center of attention because you rely on others giving you attention. This quotes barely a blip. The trick is figuring out how to manage these guys.

The only one of those guys to ever win a SB was Keyshawn and that was after his ego was largely deflated.

It's understandable from a personal standpoint that Watkins would have these feelings, but that doesn't necessarily mean you want that in your locker room. Especially when you're trying to change the culture with a team-first mentality.

Okay, assuming I now have become Watkins, then I would hope I would be a team player after already having earned millions of dollars. I'm admittedly biased because I, as a diehard Bills fan, would do more for the organization than would the actual Watkins.

I do think you're missing an option where the talented WR buys into team play and makes a lot more money because his team actually wins... maybe even more than 8 games.

I said McCoy deserves more targets than does Watkins. The only person who said "Watkins doesn't deserve targets" at all was you.

But for the fun of it: McCoy logged 314 and 312 attempts in 2013 and 2014, respectively, with Philly, but then 203 and 234 attempts in 2015 and 2016, respectively, with Buffalo. BTW he's on pace for 272 attempts this year (less than those two Philly years), but, as I posted, has been complimented by the coach in the media for his team-first attitude.

To the Watkins half- let's say instead you are dropped on a random team not of your choosing. The front office is constant chaos. You've had nothing but run first schemes. The team has brought in two bumbling brothers to be in charge your offensive coordinator was fired after week 1, and you are expected to play injured but not get the targets to look good on film while the coach only so-so has your back on the injury..... would you be frustrated about your targets?

To the McCoy half- the best thing that could possibly happen to his earning potential is scaling back his touches towards 250 instead of 300+

He will keep his high salary an extra year or two because of it. It's tying your goals to his goals to get the right outcome. If we forced 400 touches on him and we're going to essentially end his career he would not be happy. Likewise if we made him a short yardage back only and he had 75 touches for 300 yards. You find roles that help the player and help you simultaneously