Jim Kelly disrespected by Shady stretching during Anthem

JerseyBills

Just Saw this on ESPN, Kelly said if you want to kneel that's fine , but what Shady did really bummed me out, I lost respect for him.

Not verbatim but you get the idea..

Sorry if this has been stated in this thread already, but nowhere in the article does Kelly say, or is it indicated, that Shady disrespected him (Kelly) personally, as your thread title indicates. Kelly thought he (Shady) was being disrespectful of the flag, and the attached ceremony....there is a big difference there...

• Replies 654
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will always love Jim Kelly, he is the QB I grew up with and I think he is a great guy. This however strikes me as a "Kids get off my lawn" moment. Shady was stretching, and I think he can be reflective while also avoiding pulling a hammy. Jimbo spoke without thinking, non story.

How about we just realize that nobody is going to change their opinion and just do away with the anthem or keep players in the locker room until afterward? If it is true that their actions have nothing to do with disrespecting the anthem, flag, country, or refusing to show pride, why do they choose to " protest " during the anthem? Anyone? Why not do it say, during the first commercial break?

Sorry if this has been stated in this thread already, but nowhere in the article does Kelly say, or is it indicated, that Shady disrespected him (Kelly) personally, as your thread title indicates. Kelly thought he (Shady) was being disrespectful of the flag, and the attached ceremony....there is a big difference there...

Per ESPN: http://www.espn.com/nfl/team/_/name/buf/buffalo-bills

"A passionate Jim Kelly told 97Rock in Buffalo he lost respect Sunday for LeSean McCoy after McCoy stretched his legs while kneeling during the national anthem. "I like LeSean McCoy, don't get me wrong, but I totally, 100 percent I disagree with what he did," Kelly said. "You want to kneel? Fine. But when you go and do what he did yesterday, that sort of bummed me out. And I lost a lot of respect for him."

I hear you, I was a Marine and get that part. But one has nothing to do with the other.

My problem is the selective outrage. Telling people not to "disrespect the flag" ends up being just another vehicle to shout people of color down. They have a legitimate grip, one I support fully. They are treated differently than those of us that are white.

I say selective because in order to shut down decent "we" say it's disrespectful to the country and our troops. Welp, I can go to Wal Mart and buy a pair of star spangled boxers and a 30 pack of flag covered Budweiser. I mean I know nothing says I love my country more than sweat stains all over the stars and stripes from peoples nether regions. Or the drunk dude pissing in the sink in the bathroom during the anthem.

I fully support what they are doing because the cause in my opinion is just. That's why I chose to serve. To defend those that need it. That is not why everyone does. Just like white people or brown people Veterans are not a monolithic group.

My point is simply that we should remove the hyperbole Simply have the the discussion at hand.

I think it takes a lot of guts to do what Kapernick did. He had a lot to loose and he lost it. He can be wrong and everyone has a right to agree or not. But this issue is not going to go away.

You identified a couple of my pet peeves here: I know a number of people who say it's "disrespectful" for the athletes not to stand during the anthem, but are perfectly happy to wear a flag-covered ballcap and flag-print wifebeaters, cover a flag covered paper plate with mustard, and wipe hamburger grease off their 'stache with a flag-print paper napkin after eating a burger pinned together with a disposable flag-bearing toothpick.

On the other hand, St Louis (my current home) is witness to the fact that more is needed than talk. There's been talk for the last three years at least, since the Michael Brown shooting. At some point it needs to move past talk and into some concrete actions, of which (in my opinion) there are many on which both sides could likely agree. But the protests don't necessarily bring them to light effectively, and they polarize people, since most of us that might be in favor of police cameras, changing "excessive force" review procedures, and changing the use of traffic violation fines and housing code violations as significant sources of municipal revenue, are opposed to seeing small businesses vandalized or even rowdy demonstrations on private property like hotels and malls.

How are people trying to "enforce their standards" on others?

There are no laws being proposed to take away people's ability to protest. There are no laws being proposed to force people to stand for the anthem.

Yes, the president wanted the NFL owners to take a stand, and not allow these kinds of protests during games. Personally, I think the league/owners should have that right.. IF they want to make that kind of rule (I would get fired for making political protests at my job). But the NFL is not taking that stance, so it's really irrelevant.

By Colin Kaepernick's own words (and don't forget, he was the origin of this protesting), the whole purpose was because he "refused to show pride" in this country, because of what he perceived as injustice. So it's funny that NFL players around the league are now saying this protest has NOTHING to do with lack of pride, lack of patriotism or disrespect for the country. That's a crock of bull. If Kaepernick would have protested on his own time, or found a way to do it without knocking the flag or America - this would have never gotten out of hand.

The only reason that this "got out of hand" is because of the guy with the orange hair.

The NFL has no leverage to order the players to stand. If they don't, then what ? Are they all fired?

Shady has and always will do what Shady wants to do. He has a different opinion than most. He is more outspoken. I also think he is a bit of a loner by nature. I personally was surprised by it. Do i think it's any different than kneeling no. I personally am with those that are protesting. The swamp has turned into a cesspool.

Look how quickly everyone turns their back on Jimbo

I love Jimbo, warts and all. I just don't think it's smart of a Bill's employee to criticize another employee. Especially when he's essentially preaching team unity. I'm curious what Terry/Kim think.

I love Jimbo, warts and all. I just don't think it's smart of a Bill's employee to criticize another employee. Especially when he's essentially preaching team unity. I'm curious what Terry/Kim think.

That's my thought as well. How can Jimbo preach unity and then say he's lost respect for a specific player? That's antithetical to his whole argument, but seems totally like Jim in that he's can't see the irony in what he saying...

Per ESPN: http://www.espn.com/nfl/team/_/name/buf/buffalo-bills

"A passionate Jim Kelly told 97Rock in Buffalo he lost respect Sunday for LeSean McCoy after McCoy stretched his legs while kneeling during the national anthem. "I like LeSean McCoy, don't get me wrong, but I totally, 100 percent I disagree with what he did," Kelly said. "You want to kneel? Fine. But when you go and do what he did yesterday, that sort of bummed me out. And I lost a lot of respect for him."

My point was, the thread title seems to imply that McCoy personally dis-respected Jim Kelly. He didn't. Jim Kelly, I guess, was offended by McCoys' protest style. LeSean McCoy wasn't protesting Jim Kelly...if that means McCoy disrespected Jim Kelly, somebody's reading comprehension is way off. Is it mine? What am I missing?

Yeah Kaepernick is a real hero takes a lot of guts to do what he did he had it so bad his real parents did not want him he was adopted by a white family who gave him the world yeah and he's oppressed give me a break I wish I was that oppressed

His protest isn't about his personal plight and never has been.

Imo if you look a little deeper it's about him connecting with a community he's never felt a part of. He grew up in a white family in a well to do white suburb. His first exposure to black culture was in college and he saw he didn't fit in. So he joined an all black fraternity to the surprise of a lot of his teammates. His fraternity influenced a lot of his current beliefs and they have a history of activism. He felt different growing up as a person of color in an all white suburb, felt different in college not fitting in with his teammates, he just really wants to fit in somewhere. It's tough growing up an orphan feeling unwanted. Add to that feeling different your whole life being biracial and not fitting in with any one group. Makes you try harder to fit in. Or maybe he really just wants to change the world even though he has never been oppressed himself. Edited by kdiggz

Lost a lot of respect for #12 today. He's always been a simpleton country bumpkin, which was part of his charm, but he's just as prone to ignorance as anyone despite the adoration of an entire geography. Problem is, white American's love for this inanimate object is connected, rightly so or not, to the formation of this country by slave owners. It's creation and existence are embedded in whiteness and the actions of white racists. So any attempt by non-white's to challenge this symbol is a challenge to whiteness, but one conveniently veiled as "freedom" (tell that to the slaves who weren't free when the flag was created) and liberty. Nowhere is this mentality more engrained than the rural Appalachia that #12 grew up in and includes, geographically, the southern part of this state and where the seeds of this country's racism were planted.

So Kelly's done to me. Don't care anymore what he says. Sadly, this division in our country being enjoyed by this bum in office is making us pick sides and distance ourselves from friends, family, and now athletes we liked.

Lost a lot of respect for #12 today. He's always been a simpleton country bumpkin, which was part of his charm, but he's just as prone to ignorance as anyone despite the adoration of an entire geography. Problem is, white American's love for this inanimate object is connected, rightly so or not, to the formation of this country by slave owners. It's creation and existence are embedded in whiteness and the actions of white racists. So any attempt by non-white's to challenge this symbol is a challenge to whiteness, but one conveniently veiled as "freedom" (tell that to the slaves who weren't free when the flag was created) and liberty. Nowhere is this mentality more engrained than the rural Appalachia that #12 grew up in and includes, geographically, the southern part of this state and where the seeds of this country's racism were planted.

So Kelly's done to me. Don't care anymore what he says. Sadly, this division in our country being enjoyed by this bum in office is making us pick sides and distance ourselves from friends, family, and now athletes we liked.

Wow. Your post above is filled with so much nonsensical drivel, it's both comical and breathtaking.

And your hate for President Trump is duly noted. The fact is that about half the country thinks that the last President was an incompetent fool, and race baiter, who did nothing for racial unity in this country, even though he was half black.

Sadly, this division in our country being enjoyed by this bum in office is making us pick sides and distance ourselves from friends, family, and now athletes we liked.

No one is making you distance yourself from friends or families other than you and your actions.

Just that simple.

All you have to do is tune it out. Stop clicking on links to stories by ego-centric sports writers trying to stir the pot for their own ideologies. Stop watching any news show that doesn't just report on news.

Turn it out. Don't take the bait. If everyone did this, the entire BS story goes away.

The only reason that this "got out of hand" is because of the guy with the orange hair.

The NFL has no leverage to order the players to stand. If they don't, then what ? Are they all fired?

They do have the power to do that, actually. It's wildly impractical for lots of reasons. Don't pretend the NFL as an employer doesn't have certain rights.

Wow. Your post above is filled with so much nonsensical drivel, it's both comical and breathtaking.

And your hate for President Trump is duly noted. The fact is that about half the country thinks that the last President was an incompetent fool, and race baiter, who did nothing for racial unity in this country, even though he was half black.

yes, the white conservatives that couldn't stand that a black man was President

And this is why this issue will never die. Because there will forever be people too intellectually lazy to do anything other than repeat things they're told by people who NEED the country to be divided.

They do have the power to do that, actually. It's wildly impractical for lots of reasons. Don't pretend the NFL as an employer doesn't have certain rights.

No, they do not have the power to stop it. The players are members of a labor union and their employment is subject to the terms of a collective bargaining agreement that prevents the owners from firing disciplining them for expressing their views in the ways that the protesters have done. But don't feel bad; that is a concept that our president apparently does not grasp, either.

Exactly the way I feel. Shady could've used a little better judgment but these athletes have every right to express themselves. It was great to see the solidarity of the players expressed in different ways by different teams across the league. But stretching during the anthem wasn't one of them.

Edited by LABILLBACKER

Imo if you look a little deeper it's about him connecting with a community he's never felt a part of. He grew up in a white family in a well to do white suburb. His first exposure to black culture was in college and he saw he didn't fit in. So he joined an all black fraternity to the surprise of a lot of his teammates. His fraternity influenced a lot of his current beliefs and they have a history of activism. He felt different growing up as a person of color in an all white suburb, felt different in college not fitting in with his teammates, he just really wants to fit in somewhere. It's tough growing up an orphan feeling unwanted. Add to that feeling different your whole life being biracial and not fitting in with any one group. Makes you try harder to fit in. Or maybe he really just wants to change the world even though he has never been oppressed himself.

There are a lot who feel that way. It isn't really just a black vs. white issue... it's a right vs wrong issue. I wish the Trump supporters would spend as much time trying to figure out the psychology and true motives of their hero, the president of the United States, as they would an 20-something NFL football player.

Edited by Buftex

There are a lot who feel that way. It isn't really just a black and white issue... it's a right vs wrong issue. I wish the Trump-bots would spend as much time trying to figure out the psychology and true motives of their hero, as they would an 20-something NFL football player.

Says the Soros-bot. :lol:

LMAO. Another total crock of crap. So I guess DT got elected only because of "white conservatives'" votes!? In reality, DT got more black and Hispanic votes than Romney did in 2012, and of course he got plenty of support from both independents and women.