FREEKING Watkins trade

jester43

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Clay? the guy who rarely sees the field except punt returns?(and fumbled one yesterday)

You don't have to buy it. Have the Bills attempted one deep ball through two games? That was Tyrods bread and butter the past couple seasons.

Either the scheme isn't designed for it or nobody's getting open deep or a combination of both.

Either one is detrimental to the offense.

I saw a bland, unimaginative, and predictable offense yesterday. I won't completely marginalize the loss of offensive weapons, but offensive coaching was a train wreck. Predictable first down runs (poorly designed ones), No easy completions on quick reads, few short patterns (other than outlet recievers), very few slants, crossing routes, etc, no moving TT outside of the pocket, and the inability to find Shady better ways to get the ball. I was very unimpressed. McD is a defense coach, and Dennison doesn't have much experience as an offensive coordinator. Hopefully offensive coaching improves greatly. Once again, I won't marginalize the talent that we may have lost, but coaching needs to do better. KC has a QB who is rarely ever presents a deep threat (Just don't use the outlying Pats game as an example) yet a good offensive coach like Andy Reid makes it work. They have constructed an offense where more is designed underneath. You have to construct an offense that suits your roster. Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

Clay? the guy who rarely sees the field except punt returns?(and fumbled one yesterday)

You don't have to buy it. Have the Bills attempted one deep ball through two games? That was Tyrods bread and butter the past couple seasons.

Either the scheme isn't designed for it or nobody's getting open deep or a combination of both.

Either one is detrimental to the offense.

It's the scheme/OLine coaching hurting us more than anything. We'll see if progress is made through the season.

I did not want Sammy traded. But yesterday Sammy had two catches for 30 yards and no TDs. Let's not get crazy about what difference he would have made yesterday, because we have no way of knowing.

The offense was bad overall. O line play was bad, which seems to be epidemic in the league right now. As for TT, he is what he is, but if you're going to want him to throw from the pocket then have him sit and watch guys like Brees or Russell Wilson or even go back to a Thiesman and see how a shorter QB can function in the pocket. Maybe he needs to take deeper drops,. Maybe he needs to take one step back and get the ball right out before rushers can gain steam. Roll him out more. Run more misdirection plays for Shady when you have a defense that is as good at pursuit as the Panthers were.

Why do the Bills hate people with talent? If not for that idiotic trade we're 2-0. Does anyone not think he hauls that last pass in EASILY??? We probably also still have Boldin, and at least a CHANCE to score some points today. My ass is chapped about this one... :wallbash:

The Bills hate players with talent because they have to pay them well to keep them ... and the Bills (and too many Bills fans) have 1001 excuses for why the Bills can't "afford" to do that when other teams manage to exactly that.

I am not a fan of Rico right now. He needs to coach to our strengths. Where's the rollouts? We ran a LOT...where was the PA Pass? No creativity. We lost so he doesn't get the pass I was going to give him.

I agree. It was a terrible game plan. Then again, it was Dennison's second game calling plays in the NFL. Who knows if he's even cut out to be an OC without Gary Kubiak by his side.

To me it's not Sammy's stats that you compare. I think the question you ask is whether or not the Panthers would have played with 8/9 in the box and left their average corners on an island against Watkins? I think their defensive game plan would have been different and McCoy would have seen less 8/9 man boxes, which could have opened up some running lanes at least. For McCoy to have the minimal impact he had on this game is a disgrace. But there was nothing he could do about that.

I felt Darby would be replaced adequately and he has been. But you can't replace what Sammy brought this offense.

Well actually Sammy had 30 yards yesterday. Jordan Mathews on the other hand had er...um... 30 yards.

Yup he;s been lighting it up out west:

Check out these HOF stats from his first 2 games:

http://www.nfl.com/player/sammywatkins/2543457/careerstats

7 catches 86yds 0 TD's

Sammy is elite in every category except the stat sheet.

Joking aside I'm not sure how it can be said they'd have won with him. They lost plenty of games with him on the field.

I agree. It was a terrible game plan. Then again, it was Dennison's second game calling plays in the NFL. Who knows if he's even cut out to be an OC without Gary Kubiak by his side.

Terrible? They were in it at the wire with a shot at the win against a very good team on the road.

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

Well actually Sammy had 30 yards yesterday. Jordan Mathews on the other hand had er...um... 30 yards.

Sammy is elite in every category except the stat sheet.

Joking aside I'm not sure how it can be said they'd have won with him. They lost plenty of games with him on the field.

Terrible? They were in it at the wire with a shot at the win against a very good team on the road.

I'm talking about the offense game plan. If we were in the game because of anything the offense did, I guess I don't understand football at all. Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

I am not a fan of Rico right now. He needs to coach to our strengths. Where's the rollouts? We ran a LOT...where was the PA Pass? No creativity. We lost so he doesn't get the pass I was going to give him.

TT is good at the play action pass but when the run can't get going and the passer can't pass, what's the difference?

The Sammy Watkins drafting was the worst trade deal in the history of trade deals...maybe ever!

Trading two first round picks for a wr when you have nothing that resembles a QB on your roster, it's like buying condoms and declaring yourself celibate, there's just no point

The Sammy Watkins drafting was the worst trade deal in the history of trade deals...maybe ever!

Trading two first round picks for a wr when you have nothing that resembles a QB on your roster, it's like buying condoms and declaring yourself celibate, there's just no point

I like a little hyperbole. It was a bad trade and it set the franchise back (maybe). You assume the Bills would have drafted a good player with that 2015 pick.

I like a little hyperbole. It was a bad trade and it set the franchise back (maybe). You assume the Bills would have drafted a good player with that 2015 pick.

Well I wouldn't go that far

Well I wouldn't go that far

But I do think we should have been drafting qb after QB till we find one...heck draft them in every round cause your not going to be good without one

They would have just taken Darby in rnd one instead of rnd two ;)

I could have sworn we where bad with Sammy too

Illusion,smoke and mirrors.

When he was here he could throw the ball and then run real fast to catch it ;)

Edited by JMF2006

First, don't you get sick of reading/posting all of this water under the bridge bs? It is done. This is your team. No amount of bitching on your part will bring back Watkins or Darby. Second, if you don't know what play was called and the route Zay was supposed to be running, how the hell can you call anyone out on that play? This is mind numbing to me. How many countless posts pontificating on things you don't have complete information on. Talk about an exercise in futility.

First post here:

Sammy Watkins wasn't going to get this team over the hump this season. We're STACKED for the 2018 draft and there's loads of talent supposedly coming out.

We'll have plenty of ammo to move up and snag a QB if that's what the plan is, or stay put and add 6 players in the first 3 rounds.

Why do the Bills hate people with talent? If not for that idiotic trade we're 2-0. Does anyone not think he hauls that last pass in EASILY??? We probably also still have Boldin, and at least a CHANCE to score some points today. My ass is chapped about this one... :wallbash:

Maybe Watkins hauls that one in, but there are no guarantees. It was a bad throw. Its what happens when you put a smaller "slot" receiver on the outside, he didn't have the height to stretch out for a better attempt at the grab. No reason for Zay to hang his head. That loss in on TT.

To me it's not Sammy's stats that you compare. I think the question you ask is whether or not the Panthers would have played with 8/9 in the box and left their average corners on an island against Watkins? I think their defensive game plan would have been different and McCoy would have seen less 8/9 man boxes, which could have opened up some running lanes at least. For McCoy to have the minimal impact he had on this game is a disgrace. But there was nothing he could do about that.

Anyone who saw the game yesterday and still thinks McCoy was the key to the Bills offense the past couple seasons need their collective head examined.

The offense has lived and died on what Tyrod can make happen for two years.

Yesterday......after trying to lean on the run game and short passes........they finally had to just put the ball in Tyrod's hands........and without a deep ball threat........those hands are not good enough to overcome an overwhelmed OL and RB corps.

Watkins stretching the defense would have made this a completely different game on offense.

I agree completely.

But I also think that the Panthers left a good 10-17 points on the field with woefully inaccurate unforced errors on passes by Cam and missed opportunities like the Kaelin Clay fumble(why was that dude playing over Tate?).

Game wasn't as closely played as the score indicates.........but with Watkins the offense probably looks different for all 4 quarters.

First post here:

Sammy Watkins wasn't going to get this team over the hump this season. We're STACKED for the 2018 draft and there's loads of talent supposedly coming out.

We'll have plenty of ammo to move up and snag a QB if that's what the plan is, or stay put and add 6 players in the first 3 rounds.

Welcome to on-field play means nothing. The idea of having an exciting offense is passe. Oh and 2017 means nothing, because only the draft is important.......

I think that we all need to relax and give things some time. Even as a fan of the Sammy trade, I'll admit that our receiver corps isn't supremely talented. However, I think that's it's premature to reach conclusions. We just completed the second game of the year. Lets not act like this is the first time we've seen a hideous offensive performance. Last years Ravens opener immediately comes to mind. If you think that this type of ugly play will become the norm, you are entitled to your opinion. I just believe that it's too early to say that this offense is a mess because of the loss of Sammy. It's not as if this offense clicked against elite defenses with Sammy either.

Several years ago TT was a break out star. He was often referred to as our best QB since Kelly. TT's combination of athletic ability, and deep ball ability made him a dangerous player. At that time I predicted that TT would struggle as more tape was available of him. TT has stellar athletic ability, but has always struggled processing the intricacies of the game. This combination does not bode well for long term success. This is why some predicted that TT would consistently decline over time. I believe that we have seen that constant decline as his starting career has progressed. If we are seeing TT's final season, it will be very difficult to know how much of it had to do with the trade imo.

Not sure if is being mentioned so apologize if repost

the Sammy Watkins trade was a look to the future as well....he was not going to resign here.

Right, that's why it's crazy to reach conclusions about the trade two games into the season. Why do some find it improbable that the team knew more about Sammy's future than random message board fans?

I was thinking the same thing. DO we win this game if we had Sammy? I didn't see the game unfortunately, but I have to think we do a lot better than what happened yesterday.

We will never know. I can't say that Sammy wouldn't have helped, but it's just as wrong to say that he would have. Everything is just pure speculation. There are so many "if's" in life that can never be proven. We've had great games where Sammy was a major contributor. We've also had losses where the offense was completely stagnant with Sammy on the field. No one knows what would have happened. No one should claim that they do. It's been time to move on for over a month now.

Anyone who saw the game yesterday and still thinks McCoy was the key to the Bills offense the past couple seasons need their collective head examined.

I read somewhere that Mike Gillislee was the key to the Bills offense

He is way way way way better then what we have. Heck if Matthews was their #2 receiver then the Bills are better on Offense.

To have one of the offenses in the NFL year after year after year and be excited for 250 yards in the air is pathetic.

Watkins easily could have been extended but this management team doesn't like the idea of a star WR......

Yep, on track this year for 56 catches and 700 yards. OK small sampling but he is is not ripping it up

He also has a QB with little NFL games under his belt who is still trying to figure out how to throw in the NFL. Nobody on that team had many catches, you guys act like another WR on the Rams is dominating the touches and Sammy is struggling. No one had more than 3 catches on the Rams yesterday and Sammy led them in catches week 1.