Tyrod Taylor Film Session vs. Eagles

cover1

Thanks Erik. Always enjoy you and your teams perspectives

The O line was really sore point to the game. Not sure what the point was using the combinations they were fielding.
Such as , why is Henderson getting reps over Dawkins at LT ?

Ducasse. I hope they were making the point he is not a serviceable option

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

His last? Come on Doc. The Bills traded him there s/b no reason to on Darby.

I think the kid has talent.

I loved Darby as a rookie. And then he played like crap last year in the same exact scheme, which was incredibly disappointing. Now reports come out about him not buying into the system, not being in the best shape, and then he plays well against his former team, albeit in pre-season.

so, if i were reading between the lines here, your saying Peterman will start the season opener?

Sure...if half the team somehow gets injured or killed before then.

I loved Darby as a rookie. And then he played like crap last year in the same exact scheme, which was incredibly disappointing. Now reports come out about him not buying into the system, not being in the best shape, and then he plays well against his former team, albeit in pre-season.

Sure...if half the team somehow gets injured or killed before then.

so you are saying it Is possible

I don't know what to tell you other than Tyrod will 100% be the starter all year unless he gets hurt. You can B word about it, or you can root for the guy to win some games even with all the obstacles thrown his way. I will always root for the starter to succeed.

He will be the starter till he plays himself off the field.

It's almost as if McD already knew he wanted to get his own QB next year that fits the WCO he wants to run. If he really wanted to commit to Tyrod and put him in a position to succeed then he probably wouldn't be trying to make him do things he's clearly not good at.

Might be that the coaches are challenging TT in order to find out if he can be a long term answer at QB. If he can't do what they want, then they still might tailor the offense to fit him in the regular season. If he doesn't markedly improve and they don't do that, then he won't be starting here for long this season.

I finally got to watch the Peterman portion of the Eagles game. I must agree he made some nice throws.

Might be that the coaches are challenging TT in order to find out if he can be a long term answer at QB. If he can't do what they want, then they still might tailor the offense to fit him in the regular season. If he doesn't markedly improve and they don't do that, then he won't be starting here for long this season.

I think this is realistic.

Isn't he kind of doing that? Whatever you call it sure doesn't look like starter quality.

Actually thought he looked ok game 1 against the vikes

Didnt look good against the eagles

Schwartz did a LOT of blitzing for a pre season game....and we didnt do anything to gameplan that from what I could see.

Love Schwartz but most teams vanilla D their stuff in preseason and he was not doing that.

I agree with you, there should be more talk about Wood. He is over rated and has always get blown up by top tier DTs when pass blocking. I thought Groy played great last year. Time to move on...

He had a good year in 2015. Wondering if he is still recovering some. Even if his leg is full healed, he may still need time to acclimate once again to playing on it.

I think Groy is the heir apparent to Wood. Not sure he assumes the starter role (barring injury) this year, but next year I think he's the starting OC.

Why? Because you don't agree? Is it the grammar

They are bad because you are blind. Jones is terrible. Would be the worst starter in perhaps NFL history and that's saying a lot. He may pan out 10 years from now... that's how far he has to go. By reports he also has some pretty poor work ethic which is probably why he got traded. Teams don't have time nor staff to try and develop two QBs. There just isn't that many reps to go around. So, it was either Peterman or Jones. Peterman isn't even ready to start for an NFL team and he is light years beyond Jones.

Fwiw Shady has always been a terrible pass pro back.......and just as bad at short yardage........not his things.

But what you are seeing is that teams will attack Tyrod if they think he is going to stay there......and hope to disrupt the timing of the run game in the process.

The Bills OL is not naturally effective at pass blocking......hasn't been for years......expecting them to be better is wishful at best.

Without Sammy there I really don't know what Dennison can do about it.........play action doesn't work if there is someone in your face the minute you get your head around........and defenses aren't going to back off for fear of giving up an underneath completion to one of the Bills bevy of possession receivers.

In Lynn's offense he could just put Tyrod in shotgun all day and run-pass-option and make defenses play coverage long enough to open up some wide open throws.

I expect they will have to hybrid it up and scrap some of the things to make it work........they were already doing some shotgun the other night.......which runs contrary to the whole "QB footwork as the basis for timing in the offense".

I'd like to see Shady's grades as a pass protector last year, I was impressed that he looked decent out there.

For TT, i agree. The play calling will morph into something other than what you'd expect out of RICO.

McD and Dennison forcing Tyrod to run a timing offense is similar to Rex dropping Dareus into coverage.

No, its asking the guy to be a real QB and not this continuation of college style b/s that hasn't gotten us anywhere.

Not for nothing, the sooner people acknowledge the fact, the success of the offense last year was a majority on the ground-the better off we are.

Last year's offense is not meant to be the norm. We need a better passing attack.

I think the west coast offense and timing narrative is all BS. We saw Tyrod run a similar version of this playbook under Lynn last season. A lot of the same concepts he is going to run this season. The biggest difference will be the playaction and rollouts

Love your work Erik but I don't agree on that I am afraid. This offense requires much more precision in footwork and in timing than the Roman offense. What Nate was saying in the podcast (which again I really enjoyed even if I didn't agree with all of it) about the need to get your drops right is critical in this scheme. Even more so, in my opinion when what you have is a cadre of "possession" type receivers who are not necessarilly going to get open on pure talent in the way a Sammy Watkins might. If the drops are wrong the timing is wrong and the receivers will not necessarilly be as open as they should be at the point he throws the ball.

I think it is absolutely right and fair to say this is not the full offense we will see when the seasob starts and I don't for a second expect to see Tyrod look as bad as he did on Thursday for 16 games when he has a first choice line infront of him and the full playbook to work with. But I still find the fit in this offense concerning. I have been concerned about it pretty much all offseason this is not a reactionary response to Thursday.

Love your work Erik but I don't agree on that I am afraid. This offense requires much more precision in footwork and in timing than the Roman offense. What Nate was saying in the podcast (which again I really enjoyed even if I didn't agree with all of it) about the need to get your drops right is critical in this scheme. Even more so, in my opinion when what you have is a cadre of "possession" type receivers who are not necessarilly going to get open on pure talent in the way a Sammy Watkins might. If the drops are wrong the timing is wrong and the receivers will not necessarilly be as open as they should be at the point he throws the ball.

I think it is absolutely right and fair to say this is not the full offense we will see when the seasob starts and I don't for a second expect to see Tyrod look as bad as he did on Thursday for 16 games when he has a first choice line infront of him and the full playbook to work with. But I still find the fit in this offense concerning. I have been concerned about it pretty much all offseason this is not a reactionary response to Thursday.

I watched every pass from Siemian and the west coast offense narrative is overblown. In fact, I even wrote an article about how Taylor actually stacks up better than most QBs that have played in this system. Lynn ran a lot of the same concepts that they did in Denver last year. Be sure to check some of the video clips towards the end of the article as well...

http://www.cover1.net/2017/08/tyrod-taylor-its-the-throws-he-doesnt-make/

https://twitter.com/Cover_1_/status/900835363383652353

Edited by cover1

I watched every pass from Siemian and the west coast offense narrative is overblown. In fact, I even wrote an article about how Taylor actually stacks up better than most QBs that have played in this system. Lynn ran a lot of the same concepts that they did in Denver last year. Be sure to check some of the video clips towards the end of the article as well...

Thanks for this :thumbsup:

Thanks for the link to the piece. I think this strengthens my view though rather than contradicts it. There are going to be classic west coast concepts in this offense. We can argue about how many and in what volume etc... the proof of that will come once someone is counting the Ws and we know it is their true offense out there. But what those clips show is those plays are there and when Tyrod's footwork is good and the ball is out on time he can hit them. There were a couple of really good examples early against the Vikings and there was one that you guys identified in the 1st Qrtr against the Eagles that you (or maybe Nate) called his best throw of the game. I called that as soon as he made it in the game thread here. It was a perfect example, good drop, ball out on time, threw to a spot. But the evidence that he can do it consistently is simply not there so far. Going back and looking at his throws the first two pre-season games he gets it wrong as much as he gets it right. It isn't to say Tyrod can't complete those throws... he can.... but it doesn't naturally play to his strengths and didn't in the bits that Lynn tried to introduce last year either. The question is how consistently can Tyrod do it?

No, its asking the guy to be a real QB and not this continuation of college style b/s that hasn't gotten us anywhere.

Not for nothing, the sooner people acknowledge the fact, the success of the offense last year was a majority on the ground-the better off we are.

Last year's offense is not meant to be the norm. We need a better passing attack.

Also need better WRs. The Bills have a bottom tier WR corp. until proven otherwise.

Yay, more Tyrod excuses.

You got told of quite well yesterday about your lazy posting by numerous posters, disappeared, and here we are again.

Also need better WRs. The Bills have a bottom tier WR corp. until proven otherwise.

You got told of quite well yesterday about your lazy posting by numerous posters, disappeared, and here we are again.

Right, who is the lazy one who saves other peoples posts and responds with the same rhetoric 1000x? Go away!