Peter King: Darby Hadn't Bought Into New Bills' Regime

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@RyanTalbotBills

Ronald Darby hadn't bought into new #Bills regime, says MMQB's Peter King http://bit.ly/2wIpoQl

Tell you where I am with King? The Bills can't keep blowing this up. I would be guaranteeing Beane and McDermott 4 years and saying only absolutely no progress would stop me giving them a 5th. In the end someone has to stop the roundabout from spinning.

I think this was a much bigger part of the trades for both Darby and Watkins than people are giving credit for. Not the sole reason, but considering everything else for each, I think it was a deciding factor to pull the triggers.

Probably scheme. He is a man CB, McD plays zone. At least they recognized that it wasn't a fit, same with Gilmore.

certainly makes sense. i just wasn't sure if it was more of a personality/philosophy issue between the groups.

Everyone would say Darby is a better corner than Gaines, and Watkins is a better wideout than Matthews. I don’t worry about the Darby deal for Buffalo, because he hadn’t bought into the new administration of Beane and head coach Sean McDermott, and because he wasn’t a great scheme fit for McDermott’s zone coverage. Buffalo did get a gutty, durable (Matthews played 46 of 48 games in three NFL seasons) possession receiver who will take Watkins’ spot in the Bills’ offense. The Watkins deal could hurt in the long run, for two reasons. He’s healthy this year after being plagued by a nagging foot injury. And the veterans on the Bills loved him, and won’t be happy with this deal. I can’t imagine LeSean McCoy singing kumbaya over this trade for the future. He wants to win now.

The reality of this situation, though, is that the Bills are not going to win now, even if Darby and Watkins had been playing great. Playing for 2018 is smarter. And Buffalo also had to worry about Watkins and the cap. Because the team didn’t exercise the fifth-year option for Watkins, ensuring that he’d be a free agent after this season, Beane would have had to try to sign Watkins late this season (when the team has just $8.1 million remaining under the cap) or likely face franchising him next spring. So they risked Watkins playing great this year and looking dumb for letting him go … or trading him now for real value. A pick around number 40 or 45 in 2018 appealed more to Beane.

Interestingly, Beane didn’t tell McDermott about his tentative deal with the Rams before their game against Minnesota. Imagine the Rams’ shock when, on the first four plays of the game on offense for Buffalo, Tyrod Taylor threw to Watkins. Beane wanted McDermott, in his first game as coach, not to be shackled but rather to be able to use his 90 players the way he saw fit. They didn’t discuss the chance for the trade until after the game.

certainly makes sense. i just wasn't sure if it was more of a personality/philosophy issue between the groups.

Just read the whole quote, King says not buying in and also the scheme. So maybe there is something else. Maybe not happy about losing 2 friends, Gilmore and Roby. Roby was like his brother.

Crew cuts for all!

My GF would like that ;)

Just read the whole quote, King says not buying in and also the scheme. So maybe there is something else. Maybe not happy about losing 2 friends, Gilmore and Roby. Roby was like his brother.

Speaking of Robey-Coleman...did you see him get run over by McFadden ?

He didn't look to eager to tackle him after that ;)

I definitely read it as two separate issues - scheme fit and 'buying in'/attitude. I don't think Darby or Sammy 'bought into' the new regime, and because of that I imagine they didn't have quite the right attitude McD was looking for (either overtly or just generally).

In Beane's PC discussing the trade one of the things he said was

"There's a lot of guys that have jumped right on board, doing the things that Sean and his staff have asked and we look forward to continuing to work with those guys."

I took that as a lightly veiled shot at the guys who were leaving

McDermott likes physical corners who will tackle a lot more than in his previous two years.

Darby hasn't shown he will shy away from tackling but he's a smaller corner....maybe not wanting to be that involved in that much hitting. Just a guess....

I definitely read it as two separate issues - scheme fit and 'buying in'/attitude. I don't think Darby or Sammy 'bought into' the new regime, and because of that I imagine they didn't have quite the right attitude McD was looking for (either overtly or just generally).

In Beane's PC discussing the trade one of the things he said was

"There's a lot of guys that have jumped right on board, doing the things that Sean and his staff have asked and we look forward to continuing to work with those guys."

I took that as a lightly veiled shot at the guys who were leaving

To be honest with you I like this. Are Watkins and Darby better than Matthews and Gaines? Yeah. Does the difference mean more loses? No. This is an ultimate team sport. Everyone needs to be on the same page, see Rex's teams.

Edited by TheTruthHurts

The Bills Have to Stop Blowing Up Their Team

First thing I thought Friday when I saw Beane had traded Watkins and Darby: Owners Terry and Kim Pegula have to mentally commit to Beane and McDermott for the next five years. Period. The mayhem in Buffalo must stop.

• Five general managers in the past decade. GMs of the Bills since 2007: Marv Levy (2007), Russ Brandon (2008-09), Buddy Nix (2010-12), Doug Whaley (2013-17), Brandon Beane (current).

• Six coaches in the past decade. Coaches of the Bills since 2007: Dick Jauron (2007-09), Perry Fewell (2009), Chan Gailey (2010-12), Doug Marrone (2013-14), Rex Ryan (2015-16), Sean McDermott (present).

The only issue to me is, yet again we are losing players based on scheme fit. This is why the consistent turnover is really holding us back more than anything.

I don't mind the Darby trade in a vacuum, but we need to bunker down and try and see something through without changing the philosophy ever couple years.

The only issue to me is, yet again we are losing players based on scheme fit. This is why the consistent turnover is really holding us back more than anything.

I don't mind the Darby trade in a vacuum, but we need to bunker down and try and see something through without changing the philosophy ever couple years.

Amen.

@salsports said on WGR at 7:30am today that Bflo's FO sincerely believes they will be better for the trade this season, just not today. He listed some reasons...possibility of injury, locker room and scheme.

He made a point of saying he did not necessarily agree with that.

I heard that and it's nice that they believe this, but I'm highly skeptical. I'd bet anything that the players aren't buying it.

I think this secondary is going to be a total mess and Darby knew it. The Frazier cover scheme is horrible. Will be exposed all year.

If the front four plays under to their potential those guys in the secondary are going to have a lot of fun.

Edited by Binghamton Beast

Stop changing schemes every freaking two years.

I agree with you wholeheartedly... however, I think there was just so much buffoonery w/ Rex that they had to change. Going back to something close to previous 4-3 scheme was simply necessary. They had a top 5 D.

If the front four plays under to their potential those guys in the secondary are going to have a lot of fun.

In a fantasy world that is true. If your secondary is crap, no front four will make them great. We seen how easy it was for teams to get the ball out quickly against us.

In a fantasy world that is true. If your secondary is crap, no front four will make them great. We seen how easy it was for teams to get the ball out quickly against us.

Well Rex's defense is nothing like McDermott's.

The reason the getting the ball out quickly worked against Rex is because we put corners on an island and they had a lot of communication and checks going through it.

If getting to the ball quickly was an easy way to neutralize a pass rush, the need for edge rushing defensive ends/OLB would be null.

No, it's not in a fantasy world.

Also, I guess you forgot the numerous times where DB's were torched last season and they would stRt looking around at each other as if to blame someone. THAT is a terrible scheme.

No, it's not in a fantasy world.

Also, I guess you forgot the numerous times where DB's were torched last season and they would stRt looking around at each other as if to blame someone. THAT is a terrible scheme.

Thats a dumb player. Its man to man. Get a frickin man and stay with him.

Well Rex's defense is nothing like McDermott's.

The reason the getting the ball out quickly worked against Rex is because we put corners on an island and they had a lot of communication and checks going through it.

If getting to the ball quickly was an easy way to neutralize a pass rush, the need for edge rushing defensive ends/OLB would be null.

They do become null versus great QBs.

I think this secondary is going to be a total mess and Darby knew it. The Frazier cover scheme is horrible. Will be exposed all year.

Im more worried about our LB's. Our back 4 will play very conservative, come up and tackle. Our LB's will be the liability. I think teams will pick us apart with short stuff.

Well IMO this season is a wash anyway.

Pegula just have to stop blowing the team up. Hard to have a long term vision when that vision changes every two years

I agree, unless they can see that this franchise is without doubt going in the wrong direction they have to give them a minimum of 4 years.

Only one elite passer in our division and I only see 4 or 5 other top dogs on the schedule.

Ryan

Rivers

Brees

Carr

Luck

The rest are TBD or are average

Winston

Newton

Smith

Dalton

and TBD for the others

I fail to see how Matthews (even if his sternum wasn't chipped), when you take away Sammy Watkins, makes the Bills any better... there are some who act like Watkins was this constant "Dez Bryant" size headache for the team...at some point, this franchise has to do something, to constantly get the benefit of every doubt...maybe it all pays off with the 9 million draft picks we have later, but right now it feels like a lot of bumbling around....and just a conscious effort by the new regime to get rid of as many players possibly, that Doug Whaley drafted. It's just stupid.