Bills trade Ronald Darby for WR Jordan Matthews, 3rd rd pick

YoloinOhio

Darby can play. Matthews isn't good. Let me ask you this: which organization is consistently better, Buffalo or Philly? I think we both know the answer to that.

I don't know.....neither team has won a Super Bowl.

ok...we did good! lol

We are looking at a possible Top 3 pick with the tank in full effect on this team. I can also see KC having a 7-8 win season which bodes well for us as well. I expect the hammer to drop on others as well like Wood, TT, Shady are all in play. The 3rd Rd comp pick will happen when Holmes, Tolbert and Hodges get cut. Quite the surplus going into next year's draft. Will it amount to anything? Stay tuned.

I'm fine with this deal...not thrilled, but ok.

The Watkins trade was complete garbage, however.

I totally agree... trading up in the draft to get Watkins was a mistake.

big-troll-smiley-emoticon.jpeg

I like the trades. Darby had zero picks last year and had a bad year. Who really knows how Sammy's foot is? I'm leaning toward our new coaching staff, who know a lot more about these two than us. Darby wasn't a good fit for zone. Sammy wasn't a good fit for contact. It will be a fun year for sure.

What i like most about these trades tho is they help us both now and in the future. We added high draft picks for the future. But we also get more productive players for the current team. As Gaines and Matthews have been more productive than Watkins and Darby.

It basically boils down to this:

If the Bills end up getting a true bonafide franchise QB next year, then the trade ends up being the best move this franchise has done in a very long time.

We have two first round and a second already. If the Bills get a true bonafide franchise QB next year the best move would have been to pair him up with a bona fide superstar WR.

We have two first round and a second already. If the Bills get a true bonafide franchise QB next year the best move would have been to pair him up with a bona fide superstar WR.

That is if you are thinking this to be in a vacuum. There are more variables than that, maybe this trade makes us worse than we would have been, which is very possible.

Hypothetically speaking, if we end up being a 4 -7 win team, that enhances our odds of getting the franchise QB that we want. Maybe with Sammy we would be a 6-9 win team, which would decrease our odds of getting that franchise QB.

Either way, if we end up getting that franchise QB, most people will look back at the moves this franchise made in 2017 as the beginning of it all.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

That is if you are thinking this to be in a vacuum. There are more variables than that, maybe this trade makes us worse than we would have been, which is very possible.

Hypothetically speaking, if we end up being a 4 -7 win team, that enhances our odds of getting the franchise QB that we want. Maybe with Sammy we would be a 6-9 win team, which would decrease our odds of getting that franchise QB.

Either way, if we end up getting that franchise QB, most people will look back at the moves this franchise made in 2017 as the beginning of it all.

Hey! There's no room for logic here! Haven't you heard? The sky is falling!!

People in Philly are going "Ok, seriously, what's wrong with that we don't know about? Because no one trades their #1 CB a month before the season for Jordan Matthews. I mean, he's a contributor, but we are absolutely a better team after this trade"

So now we have three slot WR and no one who can stretch the field deep. FML

Im as positive as anyone, but today is pretty hard to swallow. To pull this **** on the fanbase 4 weeks before the start of the season is a kick in the nuts.

Only possible spin: we are a run first team therefore elite WR are not needed. Sammy prob wasnt coming back next yr and we get a draft pick back for him along with a CB, who if healthy, is prob better than Darby.

People in Philly are going "Ok, seriously, what's wrong with that we don't know about? Because no one trades their #1 CB a month before the season for Jordan Matthews. I mean, he's a contributor, but we are absolutely a better team after this trade"

So now we have three slot WR and no one who can stretch the field deep. FML

Darby is pretty bad.

Im as positive as anyone, but today is pretty hard to swallow. To pull this **** on the fanbase 4 weeks before the start of the season is a kick in the nuts.

Only possible spin: we are a run first team therefore elite WR are not needed. Sammy prob wasnt coming back next yr and we get a draft pick back for him along with a CB, who if healthy, is prob better than Darby.

After season tickets have been renewed. After single games have been sold. After Sunday Ticket had been purchased. After promotion of Sammy on Bills marketing, selling him to fanbase, selling his jersey.

It's a bull sh__ move at this point.

I'm with you. I'm usually downing the Kool Aid, but even I'm having trouble swallowing this.

After season tickets have been renewed. After single games have been sold. After Sunday Ticket had been purchased. After promotion of Sammy on Bills marketing, selling him to fanbase, selling his jersey.

It's a bull sh__ move at this point.

Yup

I'm with you. I'm usually downing the Kool Aid, but even I'm having trouble swallowing this.

X2

The trades could either be a stroke of genius or another LOLBILLS giveaway of talent. It should concern the Rams that the Bills traded away Watkins. The Bills must know that Sammy's foot and ability to stay healthy must not be a sure thing. I think the Bills front office is trying to have their cake and eat it too. The Bills are betting on a healthy Matthews over 16 games being more of a contributor than Sammy over 7-10 games if they feel Sammy is more than likely to get hurt. They are also betting on Gains returning to form another year removed from injury and just being a better fit than Darby.

If Watkins gets hurt while Matthews has a solid year and Gains steps in and plays well this trade is a stroke of genius. They get better production this season while adding 2 high picks to their draft cache in 2018. It's a good type of calculated risk to take.

Of course, there is a chance that Sammy is healthy and a stud while Darby plays really well for the Eagles. While Matthews is solid but unspectacular and Gains isn't anything. Then the success of the trade highly depends on the team's ability to use those draft choices to rebuild. But this trade allows the Bills to possibly be better or the same in the short term while adding picks that could help them in the long term.

Am i missing something on why people are not liking this trade?

The Bills needed a WR. Matthews has pretty much identical numbers as Watkins since coming into the league(avg wise). Matthews has been more durable. Matthews is a big body receiver who might do well in this offense.

McDermott believes he can do more with less when it comes to CB's. McDermott's system i believe is not so CB driven as Rex's was. Bills get a third rounder back.These days starters or solid contributors are coming out of the third round a lot. Matthews is playing for his next deal, thus motivated.

McD and Beane want to build their team. I like it.

• Like (+1) 1

Exactly! You are getting comparable production with the WR swap. Gaines is better suited than Darby for this style of D. AND we get 2 high chess pieces. Depending on how KC & Philly finish we could have 6 picks in the top 80 or so next year.

Look I'm not saying he's Watkins. Sammy was elite. But Jordan doesn't suck.

There was talk Matthews was going to be their #4 wr this year. The Eagles' fans I know couldn't wait to upgrade from him.

The trades could either be a stroke of genius or another LOLBILLS giveaway of talent. It should concern the Rams that the Bills traded away Watkins. The Bills must know that Sammy's foot and ability to stay healthy must not be a sure thing. I think the Bills front office is trying to have their cake and eat it too. The Bills are betting on a healthy Matthews over 16 games being more of a contributor than Sammy over 7-10 games if they feel Sammy is more than likely to get hurt. They are also betting on Gains returning to form another year removed from injury and just being a better fit than Darby.

If Watkins gets hurt while Matthews has a solid year and Gains steps in and plays well this trade is a stroke of genius. They get better production this season while adding 2 high picks to their draft cache in 2018. It's a good type of calculated risk to take.

Of course, there is a chance that Sammy is healthy and a stud while Darby plays really well for the Eagles. While Matthews is solid but unspectacular and Gains isn't anything. Then the success of the trade highly depends on the team's ability to use those draft choices to rebuild. But this trade allows the Bills to possibly be better or the same in the short term while adding picks that could help them in the long term.

The Rams were probs my laughing when the Bulls called. "Do you want a potential top 5 receiver for your young qb for EJ Gaines and his 2 career INTs?"

"Yes Sean, we will take that offer."

Then, the Rams start laughing and high fiving.

There was talk Matthews was going to be their #4 wr this year. The Eagles' fans I know couldn't wait to upgrade from him.

To be fair, he has been a consistent performer for them. Until this off-season he was the best receiver they had.

Then they signed Alshon and Torrey Smith and a former 1st round pick finally showed signs of life. So he is disposable

To be fair, he has been a consistent performer for them. Until this off-season he was the best receiver they had.

Then they signed Alshon and Torrey Smith and a former 1st round pick finally showed signs of life. So he is disposable

He and Ertz were their only 2 pass catchers. He got numbers simply because of volume and lack of anyone else. He had some killer drops.

If we had Sammy, I'd like the move. But we now have 3 of the same type of WRs whose styles don't fit the qb at all.

He and Ertz were their only 2 pass catchers. He got numbers simply because of volume and lack of anyone else. He had some killer drops.

If we had Sammy, I'd like the move. But we now have 3 of the same type of WRs whose styles don't fit the qb at all.

I agree with the "if we had Sammy" logic. If we hadn't picked up Boldin, I would have said that it sucked to lose Darby but we had a strong WR group with a nice combo of Watkins-Jones-Matthews.

Now...Boldin-Jones-Matthews...with Boldin and Matthews with nothing in 2018 gives be a heart attack

Basically, we traded decent starters and guys with foot problems. And we got picks. What is wrong with that?

Jordan Matthews was going to be a #4 wr and Sammy, if healthy, has more potential than any draft pick we are going to get.

Perhaps, we get lucky with a draft pick. But Sammy's upside is higher than anyone involved in this trades. Most of the time, you don't get better by trading elite talent.

Do the Bills staff value Kevin Seymour more than most fans? I'm not sure Gaines makes the 53? Sammy's potential is way past Jordan Matthews. But Matthews isn't as bad as some make him out to be. I snapped when I first saw the trade. Now it's making a lot more sense. Sammy was my favorite current player so I'm bummed he's not here. But I'm for what's best for the Bills overall. Time will tell . Trust the process 😁

I agree with the "if we had Sammy" logic. If we hadn't picked up Boldin, I would have said that it sucked to lose Darby but we had a strong WR group with a nice combo of Watkins-Jones-Matthews.

Now...Boldin-Jones-Matthews...with Boldin and Matthews with nothing in 2018 gives be a heart attack

Yup. I'm fine with the Darby part but this is slow receiving core. If they kept Sammy and added Matthews, this would be one of the strongest groups in the NFL. But the Bills don't like nice things.

Jordan Matthews was going to be a #4 wr and Sammy, if healthy, has more potential than any draft pick we are going to get.

Perhaps, we get lucky with a draft pick. But Sammy's upside is higher than anyone involved in this trades. Most of the time, you don't get better by trading elite talent.

Unless you know for a fact that you cant resign him....and based off Beane's comments.....Watkins wasnt signing

Unless you know for a fact that you cant resign him....and based off Beane's comments.....Watkins wasnt signing

They could have franchise tagged him and then got into his ear about how special he is. They had to come up in with this fake tough guy act.

And do we just have to take Beane's word as gospel? Of course, he's going to spin it. Sammy was saying all the right things in camp about being here.

Edited by C.Biscuit97

How could we know for a fact we couldn't re-sign him until it happened John?

Because Beane and his puppet master TBG said so!

I would actually like this trade if we didn't trade Sammy. We could have had one of the best WRs core in the NFL. Instead, we are now the Eagles of last year. Meh.