Marrone said ideally Bortles throws Zero passes in a game...

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To the surprise of no one, the real boss of the Jags isn't Maroon.

@NFL

From head coach to executive, Tom Coughlin is still running the @Jaguars his way: relentlessly. http://on.nfl.com/HWsuMn

(via @judybattista)

DHUbuGbXUAAwe8o.jpg

That was a good read. It's going to be interesting to watch Jacksonville and Coughlin, especially if things don't go too well. He is a coach thru and thru and he's such a control freak. I think much of how this Marrone-Coughlin working relationship goes will depend on how long Marrone is able to put up with Coughlin going over every minute detail and how the power/control dynamic plays out long term. Marrone' a bit of s control freak himself. Edited by BillsFan4

I don't see the Jags winning more than 4-5 games. I think the floor for the Bills is 6 wins, so I'm going with Buffalo.

It's honestly hard to say. The culture in the Buffalo locker room was probably the lowest its been at the end of the Rex era. McD may change that around but it's honestly hard to say..

Marrone on the other hand, to his credit, is a strong culture changer. He did good work on that front in Buffalo, and together with Coughlin, they may whip that talented team into shape and have them bust out.

I saw the 2016 team as a boom or bust roster. I see the 17 roster the same way, except I think their "boom" is 9 wins, and bust is 4. I could see the Jags making noise at 8 or 9 wins.

Edited by jmc12290

....quite the vote of confidence for Bortles.............

By all accounts, Jaguars QB Blake Bortles has not been very good in training camp. There was his five-interception practice. There was a woeful performance against the Patriots during a joint practice. Then Bortles threw two more picks in a recent session before coaches sat him down to rest his arm.

And now this…

Star receiver Allen Robinson growing frustrated with an inaccurate pass that caused him to collide with a spectator on the sideline.

“F—ing keep that s–t in bounds, bro,” Robinson says. “Goddamn.”

Jaguars fans aren’t the only ones frustrated with their quarterbacks play so far, it appears.

Unfortunately, the front office elected not to bring in any competition for Bortles, which is a shame. Jacksonville has a talented roster that could be competing for a playoff spot with a decent quarterback. The team currently does not have one of those on the roster.

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

Yep. If there was a lesson from the Superbowl it was no lead is safe when you are ideologically determined to pass every play.

learned that when Houston let the Bills back in the big comeback playoff game

I haven't read all of this thread but - this is what Marrone does, this is his playbook to a "t." He sets himself up for leveraged failure where he either (i) fails and has a ready scapegoat ("You gave me Blake Bottles, what do you think I am, a miracle worker?"); or (ii) succeeds against all odds and is anointed a miracle worker. He did this in Buffalo, quickly shredding the confidence of EJ and setting him up to fail, and now he's done it again in Jax, abusing his QB in press conference after press conference.

I'm not saying EJ or Bortles are any good - they aren't. But with Marrone at the helm, neither of them ever had a chance, anyway.

I haven't read all of this thread but - this is what Marrone does, this is his playbook to a "t." He sets himself up for leveraged failure where he either (i) fails and has a ready scapegoat ("You gave me Blake Bottles, what do you think I am, a miracle worker?"); or (ii) succeeds against all odds and is anointed a miracle worker. He did this in Buffalo, quickly shredding the confidence of EJ and setting him up to fail, and now he's done it again in Jax, abusing his QB in press conference after press conference.

I'm not saying EJ or Bortles are any good - they aren't. But with Marrone at the helm, neither of them ever had a chance, anyway.

The flip side is that Marrone feels he has no chance with them either. And he's 100 percent correct. They are both horrible quarterbacks.

Do you think he's honest with his bosses about that? I don't. I think he hedges.

I honestly don't know. He is correct that they both stink, however. I do imagine that he's honest with Coughlin, who he is longtime friends with. Plus Coughlin is a legend and a likely hall of famer.

Damn that's cold!

@ProFootballTalk

From @PFT_Live, @CSimmsQB says Blake Bortles "was not put on earth to throw the football" http://wp.me/p14QSB-amHz

@BuckyBrooks

Bucky Brooks Retweeted ProFootballTalk

Bortles was primarily recruited as a TE prospect by D1 schools... Maybe HS recruiting analysts know more than we think they know..1f914.png

Damn that's cold!

@ProFootballTalk

From @PFT_Live, @CSimmsQB says Blake Bortles "was not put on earth to throw the football" http://wp.me/p14QSB-amHz

@BuckyBrooks

Bucky Brooks Retweeted ProFootballTalk

Bortles was primarily recruited as a TE prospect by D1 schools... Maybe HS recruiting analysts know more than we think they know..1f914.png

Wait a minute. Buffalo Barbarian was all over Bortles during that draft. Does this mean Connor Cook might not pan out?