Aaron Williams

If he can still play, and is fully healthy I wonder if the Bills have tried to bring him back on the cheap? Especially if hes not the starter and is only playing 20-30 snaps a game.

The search function is your friend.

Forget about it, it won't happen. This isn't about money or ability or anything else like that, this is about control. This is McDermott's team, he doesn't want any kind of influence or distraction of any kind. AW is an old tie to the past and could cause a division amongst the fan base, teammates etc etc. McD is firmly putting his thumbprint on this franchise and there is no looking back. With that being said I love AW and wish him nothing but the best in whatever he chooses to do but I hope that that he never dons a helmet ever again for his own safety, I would never want to see him get hurt again, the guy is a diamond and is a true Bill.

I've seen "fully healthy" mentioned. He will never be fully healthy. His neck is jacked up and will likely always have issues in my extremely unprofessional opinion. That being said, I'd love to have him as a part time player. Problem being, he is better than Poyer and would likely earn the starting job and get hurt again. If McDermott limited his snaps, I think he'd be a fine addition to a weak safety unit

I just don't want to attend a game and see him laid out and damaged any more than he is. I was at the NE game when it first happened. Terrible to watch. He's healthy enough to lead a normal life. That's a victory and a gift at this point. Time to move on.

Ia calling for a ban on those whom don't use the search function. They diminish the quality of thought and effort in to the board that clearly shows a lack of desire to fit in,aadapt or even care.

Forget about it, it won't happen. This isn't about money or ability or anything else like that, this is about control. This is McDermott's team, he doesn't want any kind of influence or distraction of any kind. AW is an old tie to the past and could cause a division amongst the fan base, teammates etc etc. McD is firmly putting his thumbprint on this franchise and there is no looking back. With that being said I love AW and wish him nothing but the best in whatever he chooses to do but I hope that that he never dons a helmet ever again for his own safety, I would never want to see him get hurt again, the guy is a diamond and is a true Bill.

It's a mistake to think that you know exactly how new management feels.

Not that everyone isn't one hit away from a career ending injury but he's already had a few "could have been career enders" and is still relatively healthy. Agree, it is time for him to look beyond football.

Edited by Steve O

It was an unnecessary cheap shot

Happens all the time,

AW very very very very very (x 1million) unfit to be on the field if he couldn't sustain that play.

Everyone involved feels sick about it.

totally legal crack back.

ok but still an unnecessary cheap shot

Happens all the time,

AW very very very very very (x 1million) unfit to be on the field if he couldn't sustain that play.

Everyone involved feels sick about it.

That hit would have injured anyone. Hit him in the head

ok but still an unnecessary cheap shot

That hit would have injured anyone. Hit him in the head

You are upset because it happened to a beloved Bill.

I get it...

That was a perfectly normal football play that ended in disaster.

totally legal crack back.

I get it...

Its a play that the NFL is "trying" to get rid of, there is nothing "normal" about it, its an illegal hit, he was penalized for it in-game and fined for it post-game.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000728793/article/jarvis-landry-fined-24309-for-illegal-hit-on-aaron-williams

https://www.si.com/nfl/2016/10/27/jarvis-landry-hit-aaron-williams-nfl-unnecessary-roughness

ARTICLE 7. PLAYERS IN A DEFENSELESS POSTURE

b. Prohibited contact against a player who is in a defenseless posture is:

1. forcibly hitting the defenseless player’s head or neck area with the helmet, facemask, forearm, or shoulder, even if the initial contact is lower than the player’s neck, and regardless of whether the defensive player also uses his arms to tackle the defenseless player by encircling or grasping him. 3. illegally launching into a defenseless opponent. It is an illegal launch if a player (i) leaves both feet prior to contact to spring forward and upward into his opponent, and (ii) uses any part of his helmet to initiate forcible contact against any part of his opponent’s body. (This does not apply to contact against a runner, unless the runner is still considered to be a defenseless player, as defined in Article 7.)

Its in the NFL rule book: http://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/2016-nfl-rulebook/#article-7.-players-in-a-defenseless-posture

This (https://youtu.be/M18Oun-TXfA) hit is the definition of illegal crack back and illegal football play.

Landry knew it as he went to make the hit and after he saw the results of the hit, think he didnt want H20 afterward because he wasn't thirsty?

p.s. I hope for Williams's sake he takes his money and current health and finds a new career.

Edited by P51

Its a play that the NFL is "trying" to get rid of, there is nothing "normal" about it, its an illegal hit, he was penalized for it in-game and fined for it post-game.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000728793/article/jarvis-landry-fined-24309-for-illegal-hit-on-aaron-williams

https://www.si.com/nfl/2016/10/27/jarvis-landry-hit-aaron-williams-nfl-unnecessary-roughness

1. forcibly hitting the defenseless player’s head or neck area with the helmet, facemask, forearm, or shoulder, even if the initial contact is lower than the player’s neck, and regardless of whether the defensive player also uses his arms to tackle the defenseless player by encircling or grasping him. 3. illegally launching into a defenseless opponent. It is an illegal launch if a player (i) leaves both feet prior to contact to spring forward and upward into his opponent, and (ii) uses any part of his helmet to initiate forcible contact against any part of his opponent’s body. (This does not apply to contact against a runner, unless the runner is still considered to be a defenseless player, as defined in Article 7.)

Its in the NFL rule book: http://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/2016-nfl-rulebook/#article-7.-players-in-a-defenseless-posture

This (https://youtu.be/M18Oun-TXfA) hit is the definition of illegal crack back and illegal football play.

Landry knew it as he went to make the hit and after he saw the results of the hit, think he didnt want H20 afterward because he wasn't thirsty?

p.s. I hope for Williams's sake he takes his money and current health and finds a new career.

Thank you P51.

The NFL is still fun to watch without this kind of violence. We all realize violence is part of the game, but it can be limited with specific regulations.

Some may rather watch more extreme violence in football while others may prefer a less violent form.

It seems advantageous for us to side on the less violent type of football for legal reasons (recent lawsuits, etc.) and, more importantly, for player safety. Again, we all know the arguments for the violence, but all that is suggested is a form of football that is less violent by rule, and also by players being aware enough to make a wiser decision in the heat of the moment. Obviously, the game moves fast and players cannot think deeply about each action and its consequence. Therefore, rules are necessary, but so is player awareness. We see players hold up on hits or avoid contact and perhaps that type of football is better for bigger reasons (health being one).

I think the major rift is between those who view ultra violent hits as "just part of the game" or "@*$k the players, they get paid and signed up for it," and those who are a bit more concerned about health and sportsmanship.

Landry's hit was ultra violent and extreme. Whether it was necessary or not, whether it was legal or not has no relationship to the brute violence of the hit. Some prefer to watch without witnessing this sort of violence. Others range from unconcerned to agreement with this sort of violence. I suppose this is what we bring to the game as individuals. I would surmise that those who rather a safer game with lighter violence are different types of people than those who support a more violent game.

I love watching football, but the Landry hit and others like it kind of bother me. I can think of the hit on the Bengals punter and so on, and I think "why did he do that?" These types of hits are fairly rare. Maybe one a weekend, sometimes none, sometimes a couple. But certainly not the norm.

I fully realize that I am not forced to watch this sport. I know this. But if regulations can be in place that greatly limit this type of violence, I agree with them. Personally, I do care about the health of the players from local children's leagues to high school to pro.

Regardless of legality, the teams involved, etc. this hit by Landry is bothersome. It is hard to shrug off so easily as many can. Of course, I am alluding to a bigger discussion about human violence and tolerance for violence and so on. But I'll save that for a different context.

Thank you for the concise clarification. I cannot watch it it again personally. i did just get a bitter taste in my mouth, just seeing the still.

I get it...

Not really. Speaking for myself, I hate when I see Bills players do this sort of thing. It's dirty and there's no need for it. The sport is violent enough already and has far, far too many injuries. I think these plays should result in 2-game suspensions. That's the only thing that will end them.

Thank you P51.

We all realize violence is part of the game, but it can be limited with specific regulations.

It seems advantageous for us to side on the less violent type of football for legal reasons (recent lawsuits, etc.) and, more importantly, for player safety.

I think the major rift is between those who view ultra violent hits as "just part of the game" or "@*$k the players, they get paid and signed up for it," and those who are a bit more concerned about health and sportsmanship.

No problem, violence is part of the game for sure, naturally its a violent sport, and it is being regulated to a certain extent. IMO the problem is when hits like this happen and are not "part of the game". I have never seen or heard of a coach teaching stalk blocking to a WR and telling him: "Dont break down and strike (Hands) the DB's chest and utilize attitude and effort, oh no, rather leave your feet, launch your head/shoulder into the DB's head and neck area, now that's how you stalk block!!" No coach in his right mind, nor any I have ever been around from Pee Wee to the Pro's have ever coached the latter, none, its an unnatural act within the sport to the best of my knowledge. That is not what any player on the giving or receiving end signs up for.

It reminds me of a conversation I had with a random guy at a hockey Carolina game a couple years after the Bertuzzi/Moore incident and I was so dumbfounded I couldnt respond. This guy says to me something to the affect: "Moore signed up for it (referring to Bertuzzi attacking Moore from behind and ultimately ending his career), they fight in hockey and its a violent sport, its just hockey (kinda like its a "hockey play")." WTF??? There was nothing related to the sport in that incident either...

Aaron Williams and Steve Moore did not sign up for either of the things that happened to them in regards to these situations, Williams did "sign up" for the tackle on Edleman that injured his neck, that is a freakish type thing that happens with in the natural context of the game IMO.

Thank you for the concise clarification. I cannot watch it it again personally. i did just get a bitter taste in my mouth, just seeing the still.

No worries, I only watched it again to make sure I remembered it as it was. I stopped playing in college partially, as the result of a similar hit (personal protector on punt, freshman hotshot decided he wasnt going to block and two guys crushed me at the same time, left their feet connected with my head/neck/chest area instead of blocking the punt), the resulting concussion and neck/back issues was a huge factor in my deciding to stop playing. I've never watched it, get the same taste thinking about it having happened, even though I do not remember much of that afternoon or evening.

Not really. Speaking for myself, I hate when I see Bills players do this sort of thing. It's dirty and there's no need for it. The sport is violent enough already and has far, far too many injuries. I think these plays should result in 2-game suspensions. That's the only thing that will end them.

I really think they should have a rule like they do in college for "targeting", make it an official rule, 15 yard penalty regardless. Review it "intention" and if its deemed intentional (there is some grey area but that can be figured out) automatic ejection and what I would do if I was the NFL is review it at the league level for a multi-game suspension depending on the hit itself and I agree that would go a long way toward ending it.

I would factor into would be the "football play" part of it, like a receiver dropping his head at the last second bracing for the hit and the defender not having time to adjust, that to me is natural part of the game and would not deserve a suspension. A $24K fine is light pat on the @$$ for Landry, barely punitive at all IMO, and a ejection, maybe meeting with the league and reviewing the hit and a subsequent suspension and missing game checks makes me think maybe Landry fits up Williams the right way which is taught and thinks twice about launching himself at the head/neck area of a defenseless player. That is if the NFL is truely "serious" about player safety IMO.

I agree completely that the sport is violent enough naturally and there are too many injuries that occur within the natural state of the game and the extra curricular stuff needs to be gone, one way or another.

I hope no one still questions " intent to injure " on that play. I did watch it too many times. and am quite strong in my opinion about Landry.

The League should err on the side of player safety and call it every time. Landry's hit was ejection material. they can figure out the punishments beyond that after further review.

That tape should be "The Example" taught at Referee School this year.

I wonder what his Coaches told him after that. Is it a Team culture?

Because thats a whole 'nother can of worms to be sorted

Signed,

Still upset and distraught..

Hope Aaron's Doctors are right, for his sake.

No problem, violence is part of the game for sure, naturally its a violent sport, and it is being regulated to a certain extent. IMO the problem is when hits like this happen and are not "part of the game". I have never seen or heard of a coach teaching stalk blocking to a WR and telling him: "Dont break down and strike (Hands) the DB's chest and utilize attitude and effort, oh no, rather leave your feet, launch your head/shoulder into the DB's head and neck area, now that's how you stalk block!!" No coach in his right mind, nor any I have ever been around from Pee Wee to the Pro's have ever coached the latter, none, its an unnatural act within the sport to the best of my knowledge. That is not what any player on the giving or receiving end signs up for.

It reminds me of a conversation I had with a random guy at a hockey Carolina game a couple years after the Bertuzzi/Moore incident and I was so dumbfounded I couldnt respond. This guy says to me something to the affect: "Moore signed up for it (referring to Bertuzzi attacking Moore from behind and ultimately ending his career), they fight in hockey and its a violent sport, its just hockey (kinda like its a "hockey play")." WTF??? There was nothing related to the sport in that incident either...

Aaron Williams and Steve Moore did not sign up for either of the things that happened to them in regards to these situations, Williams did "sign up" for the tackle on Edleman that injured his neck, that is a freakish type thing that happens with in the natural context of the game IMO.

No worries, I only watched it again to make sure I remembered it as it was. I stopped playing in college partially, as the result of a similar hit (personal protector on punt, freshman hotshot decided he wasnt going to block and two guys crushed me at the same time, left their feet connected with my head/neck/chest area instead of blocking the punt), the resulting concussion and neck/back issues was a huge factor in my deciding to stop playing. I've never watched it, get the same taste thinking about it having happened, even though I do not remember much of that afternoon or evening.

I really think they should have a rule like they do in college for "targeting", make it an official rule, 15 yard penalty regardless. Review it "intention" and if its deemed intentional (there is some grey area but that can be figured out) automatic ejection and what I would do if I was the NFL is review it at the league level for a multi-game suspension depending on the hit itself and I agree that would go a long way toward ending it.

I would factor into would be the "football play" part of it, like a receiver dropping his head at the last second bracing for the hit and the defender not having time to adjust, that to me is natural part of the game and would not deserve a suspension. A $24K fine is light pat on the @$$ for Landry, barely punitive at all IMO, and a ejection, maybe meeting with the league and reviewing the hit and a subsequent suspension and missing game checks makes me think maybe Landry fits up Williams the right way which is taught and thinks twice about launching himself at the head/neck area of a defenseless player. That is if the NFL is truely "serious" about player safety IMO.

I agree completely that the sport is violent enough naturally and there are too many injuries that occur within the natural state of the game and the extra curricular stuff needs to be gone, one way or another.

...the Stingley slaughter by Tatum in a pre-season game was tantamount to extra curricular.......Stingley died a quadriplegic at 56 and Tatum never apologized.... ..Tatum was an amputee from diabetes and died at 63........sad in every way..

I've seen "fully healthy" mentioned. He will never be fully healthy. His neck is jacked up and will likely always have issues in my extremely unprofessional opinion. That being said, I'd love to have him as a part time player. Problem being, he is better than Poyer and would likely earn the starting job and get hurt again. If McDermott limited his snaps, I think he'd be a fine addition to a weak safety unit

For all intents and purposes Landry ended his career last fall. He will never be able to lead with his helmet. And as much as I admire AW for all his time in Buffalo, he probably won't even see a vet min. deal....

For all intents and purposes Landry ended his career last fall. He will never be able to lead with his helmet. And as much as I admire AW for all his time in Buffalo, he probably won't even see a vet min. deal....

...problem is the kid is a baller.....a head 'n heart guy who will maintain he is 110% healthy according to his docs....tempting at vet min?.....yup......but I doubt it.............

I hope no one still questions " intent to injure " on that play. I did watch it too many times. and am quite strong in my opinion about Landry.

The League should err on the side of player safety and call it every time. Landry's hit was ejection material. they can figure out the punishments beyond that after further review.

That tape should be "The Example" taught at Referee School this year.

I wonder what his Coaches told him after that. Is it a Team culture?

Because thats a whole 'nother can of worms to be sorted

Signed,

Still upset and distraught..

Hope Aaron's Doctors are right, for his sake.

hope they are as well. I'm with you on the hit. totally uncalled for and as dirty a hit as it gets!