• Yes. No Brainer
    • No. Too Injury Prone

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is that you, Marrone?

It has been a terrible trade up.

Watkins still has yet to put in a season better than Steve Johnson's three 1,000 yard seasons in a row, who all the fans turned on during the end of his run here.

Its bad all around. The Bills pay double for a WR in a stacked class that has been outperformed by the two WRs taken after him, he has been hurt - ribs, ankle, foot, we still have no QB that can get him the ball, we have game plans Watkins is used as a decoy the entire game (Patriots), or a safety rolls over the top and the Bills decide to take him out of gameplan (Chiefs).

Tyrod said last year that they can't force the ball to Watkins because they need to get other people the ball too. SMH Tyrod.

The Bills still don't use Watkins, and Watkins himself always has some issue with heath. He is always playing through something, or not 100%. McDermott just talked about running the ball and working hard, so nothing is going to change. Watkins being here does not lead to more winning, so its been a failure of a trade-up.

Anyone that considers Sammy Watkins a Top 5-10 receiver in this league is a true homer. At some point, the guy has to prove he can stay on the field before being put in that category.

He played 13 games in 2015. He played only 8 games last year, contributing a whopping 430 yards and 2 touchdowns.

And he will likely miss training camp once again recovering from foot surgery.

With that said, the Bills only have a few weeks (May 2) to make the decision. And at this point, they have very little to lose by granting his option.

But if the trend continues, I certainly wouldn't be extending the guy after his contract is up.

I would pick it up, if you spend two first round picks and a 4th (I think that was the late pick) and you do not even keep him past the 4th year that is a massive failure imo. I think you have to see it through the end of 5yrs just based on the hope of it panning out

I wouldn't pick it up unless he plays every game. MANY WR's play entire SEASONS without missing.

That's not an option, the decision has to be made soon.

IMO there's no reason why they shouldn't pick it up. It's reasonable enough for a good WR to give you a period to decide on whether to re-sign him or not. $13 mil against the cap is similar to what Jeffrey got.

Edited by Chilly

Anyone that considers Sammy Watkins a Top 5-10 receiver in this league is a true homer. At some point, the guy has to prove he can stay on the field before being put in that category.

Statements like this tell me that some folks still don't know how to evaluate performance.

Example: did you know that Sammy Watkins lead the entire NFL in yards/target for the cumulative seasons of 2014 and 2015?

He's outpacing the league on a per-target basis. His only issue has been availability, and even then, he's missed the same number of games through 3 seasons as Julio Jones did (and Demaryius Thomas and Antonio Brown as well).

Is Sammy about to become the new whipping boy to the nuckle draggers?

Geesh

Pretty much! Your not allowed to break a bone in your foot and try and play with screws in that foot.

JJ and Sammy both have the exact same beginning to both their early careers. Look at Julio now! Sammy is capable of easily being a top 5-10 talent if we actually give him 10-15 targets a game. Has Sammy ever had 15 targets in one game like most to all top 10 WR's get every game?

Edited by Real McCoy

Statements like this tell me that some folks still don't know how to evaluate performance.

Example: did you know that Sammy Watkins lead the entire NFL in yards/target for the cumulative seasons of 2014 and 2015?

He's outpacing the league on a per-target basis. His only issue has been availability, and even then, he's missed the same number of games through 3 seasons as Julio Jones did (and Demaryius Thomas and Antonio Brown as well).

So you are saying QB IS the problem? So draft one at #10?

So you are saying QB IS the problem? So draft one at #10?

When you use phrasing like "the problem", you're effectively trying to pigeonhole the discussion.

There are many reasons why Watkins isn't targeted as much as his peers (at least not as often--the final 9 games of 2015 notwithstanding). Among them:

- Lack of availability

- a run-first offense

- and yes, that the QB isn't as free-wheeling or confident

If you knew my mentality, you know how I feel about drafting QBs: if you don't have a franchise guy, and you believe that someone in the draft can be that guy, then absolutely, you take him at 10. You don't, however, draft a QB just for the sake of drafting one, nor do you play games and hope that the guy you believe can be franchise falls to round 2.

I wouldn't pick it up unless he plays every game. MANY WR's play entire SEASONS without missing.

Figured you would make a comment like that. Too funny

On the topic. Yes, pick up the option. No brainer for sure. I have doubt this is even being discussed

Edited by NewEra

What's there to decide? Pick it up...easily a top-10 (if not top-5) WR when healthy.

Cap figure could be a reason. I'd rather get Watkins inked to a 6 year deal prior to the end of his deal than pay him $13M base one year THEN have to spread another deal out over six years. The franchise tag is not THAT much higher than $13M.

I see a couple possibilities here:

1) The team would rather see how the year plays out with that foot and if all goes well, just work on an extension midseason, or worst case scenario tag him and work on an extension in the offseason

2) The team is considering drafting a new WR1 in the first with the expectation to cut ties with Sammy after this season or look to deal him like the Patriots did with Chandler Jones. It is even possible that they are fielding offers or making offers themselves to gain picks in this upcoming draft.

This is the ultimate no brainer. They can't possibly be this stupid.

As an aside, the Bills must be thinking WR no later than 44.

I see a couple possibilities here:

1) The team would rather see how the year plays out with that foot and if all goes well, just work on an extension midseason, or worst case scenario tag him and work on an extension in the offseason

2) The team is considering drafting a new WR1 in the first with the expectation to cut ties with Sammy after this season or look to deal him like the Patriots did with Chandler Jones. It is even possible that they are fielding offers or making offers themselves to gain picks in this upcoming draft.

There is no WR in this draft in the same universe as a healthy Sammy.

I think you kinda have to pick it up and hope for the best. But I would wait until as late as possible to pick it up.

Given his general attitude thus far I can imagine what a nightmare he would be to try and sign to a long term deal. Stephon Gilmore 2.0 as far as his attitude about Buffalo. Sometimes it's the things the players don't say about their team and fans that are loudest.

I wouldn't. He's not proven anything and you can always throw money or tag him year 5 if he shows he can play. In any case, let the draft happen and see what materializes Theresa a minimum and then make that call. But depending on the terms, he might be a better value if he posts anoth 600 yd season.

I not convinced McDermotts offense needs a Sammy Watkins.

Edited by Over 28 years of fanhood

I wouldn't. He's not proven anything and you can always throw money or tag him year 5 if he shows he can play. In any case, let the draft happen and see what materializes there.

I not convinced McDermotts offense needs a Sammy Watkins.

Man, McDermott must be some kind of coach if his offense doesn't need a Sammy Watkins and his defense doesn't need a Stephon Gilmore.

Man, McDermott must be some kind of coach if his offense doesn't need a Sammy Watkins and his defense doesn't need a Stephon Gilmore.

While it had little to do with mcD... name the panthers WRs during their Super Bowl run?

And I am willing to bet they can find SOMEONE who can start 8 games in a season and put up 50/gm for less than sammys fifth year tender

Edited by Over 28 years of fanhood

Good question. He hasn't even come close to hitting his prime.

He will enter the Hall of Fame as a Patriot after the Bills "smartly" get rid of him. :doh: We misused him. He was injured. But he's an elite talent when healthy.

Edited by PromoTheRobot