Ryan gave brother Rob "run of the place" in 2016.

JM2009

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Absolutely. Sean's defense wasn't better than Rex's last year. Should have kept Rex until we had an upgrade.

I hear 2018 will be a much better pool of coaches to choose from. Don't want to risk picking a mediocre or bad coach.

Saban is gonna declare in 2018, it'd be like hiring Marrone all over again in 2013 to pick an HC now.

Edited by FireChan

This may be an unpopular post, but hear me out.

Rex Ryan has only been a HC for 6 years in the NFL. Who is to say a HC can't improve after six years and become the franchise HC? Especially when he had 2 years at basically .500 as a Bill. I know he had 6 years to get the mental things down, the timeouts over the middle, the command of the team, but it was only his second year in Buffalo. I think we should've at least kept Rex as a bridge HC until we could find one better. I would hate to walk away from Rex and watch a guy like Rob Chudzinski go 4-12 if a rookie HC doesn't pan out. Let's face it, there just aren't many good NFL HC's out there and maybe if we improve the weapons around Rex, Rob stays healthy etc. he can really shine.

LOL - this is perfect - absolutely hilarious. Thanks for the laugh.

....seriously?....Wrecks Ryan is cut from the same blowhard cloth as his old man......decent defensively but suckitude 101 as HC material..like father like son IMO....Buddy's claim to fame was the 46 with the '85 Bears.....said Ditka was a jerk.....what did the Blowhard do as Eagles' HC?.....you cannot sit there and seriously post any positives about Wrecks....look at the Jets East and his "Barnum & Bailey" like pressers.....totally lost mockery outside of his capabilities.....so if he was primed to improve, how did he end up at the ESPN playpen instead?........BTW a sports product sinking faster than whale s)^T anyway..........

AFL - This is just his funny take on Tyrod - it had nothing to do with Rex at all.

If Rex Ryan hurt himself infront of me I would just step over him and continue walking.

You're kinder than I am. In this scenario I may treat him as he treated his coaching opportunity with the Bills. Depends on where it happens and what the fines for public defecation are in that locale.

Edited by transient

JM, it is as others have mentioned and as i told you way back on BBmb, there are copyright and DCMA/Fair Use Act laws that really do not allow one to 'steal' another website's complete work. the guidelines here are merely enforcing those laws. again, as i explained to you in the past, this website and the poster posting are liable. you should be thanking the administration here for potentially saving your fanny from litigation. it is, imo a bannable offense should it be an ongoing issue for a member.

but, what do i know. jus' my 2 centavios...

:lol:

well played.

Well the Mod here informed me it's fine to post the link and just a few excerpts, along with my opinion. You claimed the link also couldn't be posted. No point in posting any new information if you can't at least post the link. I just always liked to post the article also for those who couldn't access the link. I did it as a favor for others.

You're just being negative. Why, oh why, are so many posters so negative all the time?

Because of the material we are given from OBD.

Criticism of Pegula for hiring Ryan is well deserved, the 'first time' owner excuse is BS. That's why you let your football department make these kind of decisions.

Sets our team back a few years... again.

Edited by klos63

Because of the material we are given from OBD.

Criticism of Pegula for hiring Ryan is well deserved, the 'first time' owner excuse is BS. That's why you let your football department make these kind of decisions.

Sets our team back a few years... again.

I agree.

The Brinson CBS story is based on a Gary Meyers/NY Daily News article that states in part:

According to a well-placed source, Rex Ryan basically dedicated the 2016 season to resurrecting the reputation of his brother Rob, who most recently had been fired by the Cowboys and Saints. Rob was not the Bills defensive coordinator but had the run of the place...

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/report-rex-ryan-gave-brother-rob-run-of-the-place-during-bills-disastrous-2016/

The "well-placed source" is someone with some unspecified connection to the Bills. It could be Sully. Or an OBD landscaper. Or DW's barber. We don't know.

The story might be completely true. Or partly true. Or not true at all. We don't know that either.

We all seem to want to believe the worst of Rex now that he's gone. But I like to have credible sources before I form an opinion. And in this case, I just don't care.

There was an article or two with player sources saying that some defenders thought things were going to be really good in Rex's second year and that Rob came in and changed things up, changed up plays and verbiage and generally screwed things up. This fits right in with that criticism.

Whole thing's a shame.

Exactly, I never understood all the uproar over that press conference. Wasn't it obvious why Ryan got fired?

Not when we're getting new info even now that may have impacted the decision.

It really was bizarre that Whaley didn't even ask why, or said he didn't.

The Brinson CBS story is based on a Gary Meyers/NY Daily News article that states in part:

According to a well-placed source, Rex Ryan basically dedicated the 2016 season to resurrecting the reputation of his brother Rob, who most recently had been fired by the Cowboys and Saints. Rob was not the Bills defensive coordinator but had the run of the place...

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/report-rex-ryan-gave-brother-rob-run-of-the-place-during-bills-disastrous-2016/

The "well-placed source" is someone with some unspecified connection to the Bills. It could be Sully. Or an OBD landscaper. Or DW's barber. We don't know.

The story might be completely true. Or partly true. Or not true at all. We don't know that either.

We all seem to want to believe the worst of Rex now that he's gone. But I like to have credible sources before I form an opinion. And in this case, I just don't care.

Come on, man. You're right that sources sometimes give wrong or misleading info. But none of your theoreticals there, Sully, etc. would be considered a well-placed Bills source.

Don't care? Fair enough.

But pretending that any unnamed source isn't credible isn't any more reasonable than insisting that any report with a source is absolutely correct.

Edited by Thurman#1

Well the Mod here informed me it's fine to post the link and just a few excerpts, along with my opinion. You claimed the link also couldn't be posted. No point in posting any new information if you can't at least post the link. I just always liked to post the article also for those who couldn't access the link. I did it as a favor for others.

no, i never said you couldn't post the link, that would be kind of silly wouldn't it? i think maybe you misunderstood me back then.

Spot on.

I think you can perhaps give them some leeway as first time owners, for the Ryan hire.

While they may have fallen for the charm of Ryan, they did actually have a plan in place, that said basically, as first time owners, they wanted to hire a guy with previous HC experience.

That being the case, they then made a bad choice, as they could've hired either Jackson or Schwartz, who would both have filled the criteria, and, imho, done a better job.

Ultimately, it may prove to be a blessing in disguise, if McDermott does pan out, as he could be our HC for a very long time.

It would seem that the dysfunction being referred to often, was occurring, but that rather than it being the fault of the GM, it was the result of the Ryan hiring, and the addition of his twin to the staff.

Why? They need to listen to the football people when hiring a coach. Not Brandon and marketing people

There was an article or two with player sources saying that some defenders thought things were going to be really good in Rex's second year and that Rob came in and changed things up, changed up plays and verbiage and generally screwed things up. This fits right in with that criticism.

Stephon Gilmore actually gave the game away, perhaps unwittingly, a few weeks before the end of the season. He said that he had 5 DC's in 5 years in Buffalo.

I can understand that, but this is a new report that just came out today. And I've been told that posting links and such and articles is wrong. Bizarre place. It almost seems you can start a made up topic and that's fine, but not one that is credible with proof.

Pay no attention.

Man thank God the Pegulas had the sense to drop the axe before it went on any longer. Thanks for the article

^^

This.

The Rex that was fired by the Jets was the same one hired by our owner. The outcome was predictable. To the owners' credit he acted rather quickly in correcting his mistake. That demonstrates that he is serious in creating a winner.

What's refreshing is the dramatic change of atmosphere with the new coaching hire and the staff he has assembled. There is a maturity, seriousness and intelligence that wasn't present under the prior circus act. I don't see McDermott tolerating players coming late to meetings or not being attentive (sleeping) while they are going on. I'm confident that because the coach is disciplined the players will also behave in a more disciplined manner. The one player who should be helped with this more accountable environment is Dareus. If he doesn't adjust to this more rigorous environment I don't see him lasting with this team.

I wont be surprised if they move Dareus next yr if doesn't get his act together next yr.

I think a lot like the Tyrod articles - the "truth" is somewhat hidden by the bias of the writer and the bias of the reader.

I personally did not like the Rex hire from the beginning - I thought he was a joke coach in NY and did not want the clown show in Buffalo.

I also recognize that he is a larger than life personality and he really speaks to the mentality of a small town die hard fan.

I do not know if this article is 100% true, but it really seems to fit into Rex mentality and Rob feeds that more than anything. I think the thought process of the article is pretty spot on and as people said before last season started - maybe having Rob on board would free Rex up to actually be a HC and not a higher paid DC, but it also feeds into his baser desires to do crazy things like go to a baseball game days before a football weekend.

Exactly, I never understood all the uproar over that press conference. Wasn't it obvious why Ryan got fired?

Not to the General Manager...

Why? They need to listen to the football people when hiring a coach. Not Brandon and marketing people

You mean other than the General Manager?

This article should not be a surprise to anyone. What it does show is the incompetence and useless staff at the Buffalo News. Skurski, Sullivan who have such little insight, little concern other than laziness. There is no one on this board who did not see Rex gaining weight. There is no Bills fans that did not know the brotherhood of the Ryan's was more important than the Bills. Does It really take a national reporter to undercover the underlying issues. Come on Sullivan, you should be totally embarrassed.

Rex Ryan has only been a HC for 6 years in the NFL. Who is to say a HC can't improve after six years and become the franchise HC? Especially when he had 2 years at basically .500 as a Bill. I know he had 6 years to get the mental things down, the timeouts over the middle, the command of the team, but it was only his second year in Buffalo. I think we should've at least kept Rex as a bridge HC until we could find one better. I would hate to walk away from Rex and watch a guy like Rob Chudzinski go 4-12 if a rookie HC doesn't pan out. Let's face it, there just aren't many good NFL HC's out there and maybe if we improve the weapons around Rex, Rob stays healthy etc. he can really shine.

I have a feeling that your opinion is very unpopular, that much we can agree on. Are you not one of the Taylor haters? You are quick to want to get rid of our quarterback because he is not good enough and cannot win big with him. Yet you are so willing to have hung onto a head coach who has been a disaster.

Head coach and Quarterback are the two most important positions for an NFL team to be successful. Very good head coaches make a big difference in an organization (see SF before/after Harbaugh). But you would be willing to essentially give up on trying to find a good head coach because there are not many of them. Hate to break it to you but there are not that many good quarterbacks out there either. We have to remember that Wilson was not willing to pay big for his head coaches for many years. He needed to luck out and find cheap coordinators or retread head coaches. This greatly diminished our chances of finding a good HC. We have new owners and they failed their first time out because they got swindled by Rex who is an excellent salesman. They were inexperienced and quickly realized they had made a poor choice in selecting Rex. Rather than continue on with the mistake, they moved on after just 2 years. They took their time with this search and have found a coach the Bills have never hired. Someone who is young, energetic, personable, driven, smart, willing to learn from others, experienced for his age, been around successful Head Coaches, been successful as a coordinator etc...

Thinking about the post Levy coaches we have hired, were there not warning signs from the beginning? They had either failed at other locations (Jauron, Gailey, Rex), were undisciplined (Rex) or maybe rubbed people the wrong way (Marrone and Williams). We always felt like "i guess this was the best we could do" or "they were the only ones willing to take the job". With McDermott, it feels completely different. Coaches, players, fans and media around the league universally think McDermott is a good coach and will be successful. Nobody ever seems to say anything bad about the guy as a person or coach. It makes me think that we actually have a chance to have a HC that can turn this team and organization around. At least this time we got a HC that "checked all the boxes" rather than settling for flawed coaches again.

Edited by racketmaster

I have a feeling that your opinion is very unpopular, that much we can agree on. Are you not one of the Taylor haters? You are quick to want to get rid of our quarterback because he is not good enough and cannot win big with him. Yet you are so willing to have hung onto a head coach who has been a disaster.

Head coach and Quarterback are the two most important positions for an NFL team to be successful. Very good head coaches make a big difference in an organization (see SF before/after Harbaugh). But you would be willing to essentially give up on trying to find a good head coach because there are not many of them. Hate to break it to you but there are not that many good quarterbacks out there either. We have to remember that Wilson was not willing to pay big for his head coaches for many years. He needed to luck out and find cheap coordinators or retread head coaches. This greatly diminished our chances of finding a good HC. We have new owners and they failed their first time out because they got swindled by Rex who is an excellent salesman. They were inexperienced and quickly realized they had made a poor choice in selecting Rex. Rather than continue on with the mistake, they moved on after just 2 years. They took their time with this search and have found a coach the Bills have never hired. Someone who is young, energetic, personable, driven, smart, willing to learn from others, experienced for his age, been around successful Head Coaches, been successful as a coordinator etc...

Thinking about the post Levy coaches we have hired, were there not warning signs from the beginning? They had either failed at other locations (Jauron, Gailey, Rex), were undisciplined (Rex) or maybe rubbed people the wrong way (Marrone and Williams). We always felt like "i guess this was the best we could do" or "they were the only ones willing to take the job". With McDermott, it feels completely different. Coaches, players, fans and media around the league universally think McDermott is a good coach and will be successful. Nobody ever seems to say anything bad about the guy as a person or coach. It makes me think that we actually have a chance to have a HC that can turn this team and organization around. At least this time we got a HC that "checked all the boxes" rather than settling for flawed coaches again.

:oops:

I thought the Rex hiring at first was a good choice. All he had to do was stay with a very good 4-3 built D with Schwartz still under contract ,bring in a good OC and Taylor. What he did to a good D was just insane. Did he want to get fired and walk away very rich ?

Edited by ALF

The brother issue is over-blown as a factor in the chaos environment that Rex created. Rex didn't need his brother to cultivate an environment lacking discipline and intelligence in New York. Rex didn't need his brother around to create a loose environment that had players working against one another rather with one another in either of his coaching locations.

A marginal player punches the starting qb in the locker room breaking the players jaw and knocking him out for much of the season. Rex was so impressed with that type of thuggish behavior that he brought him on board to his new team in western NY.

Rex was a loudmouth fraud before he came to Buffalo and before he had a chance to add his brother to his staff. His clown act and record was on display before he was hired. The owner made an inexplicable boneheaded mistake with the hire who left his previous team in shambles. In the two short years that the talkative coached worked in Buffalo he set the franchise back by years.

Rex was an incompetent without his brother on the staff and he was an incompetent with his brother on the staff. The brother certainly didn't help to improve the situation but the disaster was all due to the fool on the sidelines wearing the cool sunglasses. So let's not blame the sloppy looking brother for Rex's predictable demise as a coach.

My hopes for last season weren't high when I read he was gaining weight again just because of his brother. It was so weird, so illogical and so wasteful that I knew there were serious problems there that fans couldn't have known about.

To me, something happened between season one and two because you get the impression mentally, he went off the rails a bit with his indulgence for vengeance or whatever coming at the expense of his employer.

My take? Rex knew he was a fraud. But he had a cushy gig and an owner who'd give him anything. So he decided to take advantage until the train hit the wall. Edited by PromoTheRobot

My take? Rex knew he was a fraud. But he had a cushy gig and an owner who'd give him anything. So he decided to take advantage until the train hit the wall.

I seem to remember you were in favour of giving him the 2nd season Promo. Not fishing - this is a genuine question - at what point did you think the Bills needed to make a change?

This is rather amusing. Someone with the name FireChan would be willing to keep Rex. Oh well, we all go off the rails once in a while.

This article should not be a surprise to anyone. What it does show is the incompetence and useless staff at the Buffalo News. Skurski, Sullivan who have such little insight, little concern other than laziness. There is no one on this board who did not see Rex gaining weight. There is no Bills fans that did not know the brotherhood of the Ryan's was more important than the Bills. Does It really take a national reporter to undercover the underlying issues. Come on Sullivan, you should be totally embarrassed.

Don't worry. Jerry will tell you to bring an umbrella after the flood.

I seem to remember you were in favour of giving him the 2nd season Promo. Not fishing - this is a genuine question - at what point did you think the Bills needed to make a change?

I thought it would be a terrible look to dump Rex after a year. I also bought the line that he wasn't "running his real defense" yet.

I'll bet the source is Rex himself.

I don't think you can really compare the situation between Rex Ryan and Tyrod Taylor.

Most people that support keeping Tyrod Taylor around still know he isn't the long-term answer. Most aren't expecting him to improve next year by leaps and bounds. Most know we aren't going to have a Top 10 passing attack with him under center. Most aren't against the Bills drafting his eventual replacement either this year or next.

At the same time, Taylor brings enough other skills to the table (running ability, lack of turnovers) that switching to a guy like Mike Glennon, Jay Cutler or Josh McCown would have been a significant downgrade. With him under center, our offense has been good enough to win games with - meaning we could potentially break the streak by keeping him around instead of starting over. And many also feel that throwing a rookie into the fire immediately would be detrimental to the young player's development.

None of this applies to Rex. He is a .500 level coach that was taking our team backwards.

I can understand that, but this is a new report that just came out today. And I've been told that posting links and such and articles is wrong. Bizarre place. It almost seems you can start a made up topic and that's fine, but not one that is credible with proof.

Unless you are a moderator or a member of the inner circle, then you are not allowed to start new thread. You are wasting space on the internet and the old times here don't know how to scroll the page down to find the thread they want.

I don't think you can really compare the situation between Rex Ryan and Tyrod Taylor.

Most people that support keeping Tyrod Taylor around still know he isn't the long-term answer. Most aren't expecting him to improve next year by leaps and bounds. Most know we aren't going to have a Top 10 passing attack with him under center. Most aren't against the Bills drafting his eventual replacement either this year or next.

At the same time, Taylor brings enough other skills to the table (running ability, lack of turnovers) that switching to a guy like Mike Glennon, Jay Cutler or Josh McCown would have been a significant downgrade. With him under center, our offense has been good enough to win games with - meaning we could potentially break the streak by keeping him around instead of starting over. And many also feel that throwing a rookie into the fire immediately would be detrimental to the young player's development.

None of this applies to Rex. He is a .500 level coach that was taking our team backwards.

This is all we could have had? Again, Nick Foles or Trevor Siemian can do what Taylor does for far less than 30 million over 2 years with 8.5 million in dead cap if we cut TT next year.

Edited by jeffismagic

Lol.

Trevor Simeon and Nick Foles are not as good as Tyrod.

Based on what? Tyrod is protected by the NFL's top rushing offense and is not asked to do as much as other QB's. When he is called upon to make plays in a 2 minute drive or the 4th quarter he wilts.

Rex brought all of this on himself and deserved to get fired. It was mentioned that this was a 9-5 job for Rex. Rex was on the hot seat last year and put all his faith in his brother to turn things around. Instead of grinding it out and trying to save his job he left it to others to do it for him. It blew up in his face and that is on him. Rookie mistake by the new owners which sucks but hopefully they learned from it and McDermott can turn team around.