Ryan gave brother Rob "run of the place" in 2016.

JM2009

Based on my eyes.

Tyrod adds more to the position with his legs, contributes immensely to the run game. He has a better arm and much better deep ball then those two and it's not even close.

Siemian had a shoulder injury last year. QB's need to throw more than go patterns and outs.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Based on what? Tyrod is protected by the NFL's top rushing offense and is not asked to do as much as other QB's. When he is called upon to make plays in a 2 minute drive or the 4th quarter he wilts.

Protected? TT is a big reason why the Bills lead the league in rushing.

They are. But don't tell me that Lesean need TT. It's the other way around.

lol Miami game offense puts up 600 yards of offense. That Jets game without TT, the entire offense was putrid. But TT plays no part in it.

Not this again.

Over 1000 yards rushing and 10 rushing TDs are meaningless, I know.

Who cares about the Jets game. Bills team quit after Ryan was fired.

They quit because their starting QB, after having the best game of his career, was benched, which showed the organization didn't want to win.

Why are you adding up years? Just post stats for one year at a time.

They quit because their starting QB, after having the best game of his career, was benched, which showed the organization didn't want to win.

Who cares. This team with TT failed over and over and over and over. They never won when they needed to.

I think we tend to discount articles based on bad sources when they don't fit our own narratives. I think we believe them when they fit the picture we've already formed in our minds.

And that, I'm guessing, is what's happening here.

I think a lot of us want to believe Rex was a dysfunctional coach because that would imply the talent on the roster was better than 7-9. So maybe McD has enough to work with to lead us to the playoffs.

Come on, man. You're right that sources sometimes give wrong or misleading info. But none of your theoreticals there, Sully, etc. would be considered a well-placed Bills source.

Don't care? Fair enough.

But pretending that any unnamed source isn't credible isn't any more reasonable than insisting that any report with a source is absolutely correct.

I don't have a high opinion of sport media. I think a writer in NY may indeed considered a BN writer "a well-placed source." If the source was inside the organization, I think he probably would have said so.

But, you're right, the source could be a very good one. Maybe a player. I just wouldn't make an assumption one way or the other.

I think a lot like the Tyrod articles - the "truth" is somewhat hidden by the bias of the writer and the bias of the reader.

I personally did not like the Rex hire from the beginning - I thought he was a joke coach in NY and did not want the clown show in Buffalo.

I also recognize that he is a larger than life personality and he really speaks to the mentality of a small town die hard fan.

I do not know if this article is 100% true, but it really seems to fit into Rex mentality and Rob feeds that more than anything. I think the thought process of the article is pretty spot on and as people said before last season started - maybe having Rob on board would free Rex up to actually be a HC and not a higher paid DC, but it also feeds into his baser desires to do crazy things like go to a baseball game days before a football weekend.

There's been other hints that the D was screwed up by too many cooks in the kitchen, players receiving contradictory instructions, etc. So I do think there's probably a core of truth to the article. But I think the 'run of the place' and 'co-head coach' remarks are maybe over the top. But who knows?

I'll bet the source is Rex himself.

This would be funny. Rex spreads the story that he fell on his own sword in an effort to save his brothers career. "I love my brother and wanted to give him a chance to reestablish himself." Fraternal loyalty at it's finest! Rex isn't actually a bad coach. He's a selfless, suffering altruist!

Edited by hondo in seattle

This article should not be a surprise to anyone. What it does show is the incompetence and useless staff at the Buffalo News. Skurski, Sullivan who have such little insight, little concern other than laziness. There is no one on this board who did not see Rex gaining weight. There is no Bills fans that did not know the brotherhood of the Ryan's was more important than the Bills. Does It really take a national reporter to undercover the underlying issues. Come on Sullivan, you should be totally embarrassed.

Somehow I think it is less naïveté and more ax to grind. Rex talked to the press. Pegula and Whaley have publicly exhibited their disdain for local media. IMO, in response the media has adopted an "eviscerate you in fiction", or at least in half-truths and petty attacks, approach to their interactions with DW and TP, and to a lesser extent even KP. So much so that, at the time of his firing, they were trying to paint Rex as a sympathetic figure whose firing was a sign of the dysfunction at OBD, instead of the more realistic and obvious view that his presence was in large part responsible for it, supported by the mess he left in NYC.

I think we tend to discount articles based on bad sources when they don't fit our own narratives. I think we believe them when they fit the picture we've already formed in our minds.

And that, I'm guessing, is what's happening here.

I think a lot of us want to believe Rex was a dysfunctional coach because that would imply the talent on the roster was better than 7-9. So maybe McD has enough to work with to lead us to the playoffs.

I don't have a high opinion of sport media. I think a writer in NY may indeed considered a BN writer "a well-placed source." If the source was inside the organization, I think he probably would have said so.

But, you're right, the source could be a very good one. Maybe a player. I just wouldn't make an assumption one way or the other.

There's been other hints that the D was screwed up by too many cooks in the kitchen, players receiving contradictory instructions, etc. So I do think there's probably a core of truth to the article. But I think the 'run of the place' and 'co-head coach' remarks are maybe over the top. But who knows?

This would be funny. Rex spreads the story that he fell on his own sword in an effort to save his brothers career. "I love my brother and wanted to give him a chance to reestablish himself." Fraternal loyalty at it's finest!

Good points. Rex failed here but let's not pretend he was the only problem. The roster was very thin last year and when a few injuries happened Bills were in deep trouble.

Agreed on the last part.

I think the ****ty defense and ****ty coaching played a bigger part in that then Tyrod did.

Defense not good enough.

Coaching not good enough.

Quarterback not good enough.

No point in trying to get into percentage of blame. Time to make it better.

This is rather amusing. Someone with the name FireChan would be willing to keep Rex. Oh well, we all go off the rails once in a while.

I was thinking the same thing until I realized that FireChan was joking.

I thought it would be a terrible look to dump Rex after a year. I also bought the line that he wasn't "running his real defense" yet.

Fair enough. I'd have fired him at the end of year 1. I was done with him after the Jags game here in London. I know the EJ turnovers and the phantom PI, and the no call on the hold on Hughes, played a part but they started inside their own 10, Bortles had done nothing since half time and Rex called 3 man rush almost every snap. It was atrocious coaching. If I was the owner the mind would have been made up that day - this was not the same Rex Ryan who earned a reputation as one of the most feared DCs in the game. That Rex was gone, we had an imposter. I'd have let him coach out the year and given him his cards.

I liked Rex when he 1st got here, I bought in... but he is just a bad coach. Then add Rob to the mix, who is even worse. Yuck!

Rex's only upside was players loved him. I don't want a coach to be loved. I want him to be respected. Just look at the Patriots, no one loves Hoodie...

Honestly, I thought the past two years this team had the talent to go really deep into the playoffs. Maybe even into the big game. He screwed this up so bad that now we are in a mini rebuild.

How did he fool every one 2 years ago? ....

I liked Rex when he 1st got here, I bought in... but he is just a bad coach. Then add Rob to the mix, who is even worse. Yuck!

Rex's only upside was players loved him. I don't want a coach to be loved. I want him to be respected. Just look at the Patriots, no one loves Hoodie...

Honestly, I thought the past two years this team had the talent to go really deep into the playoffs. Maybe even into the big game. He screwed this up so bad that now we are in a mini rebuild.

I've heard former Raven and Jet players express their love for Rex. I don't sense the same type of love from Bills players.

My guess, based admittedly on scant - but consistent - evidence, is that Rex lost his drive and probably did delegate and relax too much during his tenure with the Bills.

It wasn't a complete disaster. We might have finished 8-8 if we played Tyrod in the season finale. A number of NFL teams were worse than the Bills. But Rex was not performing at peak and I suspect the players sensed it.

Depends what you expect. I don't grade my starting QB based on EJ Manuel. Unfortunately, because of Manuel a lot of Bills fans are grading the QB on a curve.

Most fans here knows better than comparing QB's to EJ. At least on this site,you're reaching with that statement.

Because of the material we are given from OBD.

Criticism of Pegula for hiring Ryan is well deserved, the 'first time' owner excuse is BS. That's why you let your football department make these kind of decisions.

Sets our team back a few years... again.

My comment was in jest. Those of us who said before last season what everyone is now saying about Rex got hammered for being "negative". That sort of thing doesn't always come across in print though.

not to really knock the thread JM. but it is pretty much irrelevant now with the circus rolled up and long gone. they're under a new regime now that seems to be putting things together pretty well so far under McD.

should be an exciting season ahead.

off the rails. why would you say that? sure the first wave may of been a little over whelming but it seems to have settled down some. I just wonder if some, like yourself, may of rather shut the door in the face of the new members rather than welcome them?

of and have, have two totally different meanings!

My comment was in jest. Those of us who said before last season what everyone is now saying about Rex got hammered for being "negative". That sort of thing doesn't always come across in print though.

I thought it may have been, but these days, who knows?

So would a good product.

But the Bills don't have a clue how to field one so they do their best sell job and of course the guillible fan base buys in.

A good coach is one of the first steps going toward a good product. (And yes, before you go off, a good QB is also an important ingredient.)

IMO a good coach is someone who makes wins out of losses and whose game plan and scheme overcomes lack of talent

And that's why Rex was fired by Pegs only after 2 years

I think he would still be here regardless of TT's play and all the failings of our offense

Because I give Rex credit for overseeing more points scored and a better efficient offense than what he took over in 2015

Which would have been the only reason to retain Rex

That is in contrast to having taken over a 2014 #2D and utilizing a new scheme and coaching that got much less out of the talent

When they continued that unabated in 2016 Pegs saw enough

I believe it was the PIT game when our owner came to the same conclusion most of us already had during the prior season

That's Rex's philosophy wasn't getting the most of our existing talent and he wasn't making wins out of loses

And having his brother around didn't change anything

jc

People are quick to say the players loved Rex. Who are these players? 10% off the players on Rex's teams? Media say so and who else? Ravens players when he was DC? I just don't get the propoganda. People are quick to say players love Rex.

Which Bills players loved Rex over the last two years? Serious, not a rhetorical question.

People are quick to say the players loved Rex. Who are these players? 10% off the players on Rex's teams? Media say so and who else? Ravens players when he was DC? I just don't get the propoganda. People are quick to say players love Rex.

Which Bills players loved Rex over the last two years? Serious, not a rhetorical question.

This was the biggest problem with Rex as an HC.

My own personal theory was that he got used to having players on his side in NY. He had a lot of vets left over from his first two successful years and they had a strong locker room presence behind him. He took that for granted when he went to Buffalo. He thought Dareus and Preston Brown and Mario were gonna be as insanely loyal to him as David Harris and that whole crew. The problem was, Rex didn't earn the backing of the Bills locker room like he did in NY. He just expected it. And they turned on him by the end of the first year, because he gave them no reason to believe in him.

Edited by FireChan

I seem to remember you were in favour of giving him the 2nd season Promo. Not fishing - this is a genuine question - at what point did you think the Bills needed to make a change?

I was also in favor of giving him a second season and for most of the year a 3rd. After the Raiders game I started to waffle, then after the 200 yards given to Leveon I started leaning away slightly. After the Miami game though I was all for letting him go. Not having 11 on the field AGAIN in a critical spot, letting a team in it at the end AGAIN, giving up 200 yards on the ground AGAIN. It appeared, that as another poster stated, Rex didn't really care. I ended up at the same place with Mario Williams. When you don't care enough to give maximum effort you can go. Others opined that Rex cared more about the title than being a football coach. I now agree with them. He was in love with being a celebrity. His teams lacked consistency because imo he lacked consistency in game prep. Some weeks you could tell he was invested and others he looked like he didn't give a sh*t. He took cronyism to a whole new level. It sucks that it didn't work, it sucks that he didn't put in the effort to make it work, it sucks that the Bills had to find a new coach (and system) 2 years later, but it doesn't suck that Rex won't be the HC next year.

Edited by section122