Bills Showing Interest in Josh Gordon?

OJ Howard and Josh Gordon would make our offense look that much more formidable and give us some size at the skill positions. Wouldn't hate it if something like that happened.

I would like that soo bad. Gives us alot of ammo. But would be like a Percy Harvin signing with Josh Gordon with his problems..... But would be great if he moved and went clean rest of his years.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like that soo bad. Gives us alot of ammo. But would be like a Percy Harvin signing with Josh Gordon with his problems..... But would be great if he moved and went clean rest of his years.

If he remains clean you're looking at potentially having 2 elite WRs for cheap. When we currently don't have a legitimate #2 opposite of Sammy. We need to atleast try to get him if reinstated. Browns are clearly moving on as they should. Some team stands a chance at making the rest of the NFL feel regret. I'd give him a better chance at staying clean then Martavis Bryant, simply because Gordon's further along in the process of recovery, older and let's hope wiser.

These are the types of chances winning teams take.

Edited by Eric Moulds on my A**

If he remains clean you're looking at potentially having 2 elite WRs for cheap. When we currently don't have a legitimate #2 opposite of Sammy. We need to atleast try to get him if reinstated. Browns are clearly moving on as they should. Some team stands a chance at making the rest of the NFL feel regret. I'd give him a better chance at staying clean then Martavis Bryant, simply because Gordon's further along in the process of recovery, older and let's hope wiser.

These are the types of chances winning teams take.

I don't see this happening. McCoach has been clear he wants character guys on his team. Gordon is anything but.

I don't see this happening. McCoach has been clear he wants character guys on his team. Gordon is anything but.

And now restarts the discussion of the definition of "character" in this situation.

A lot of people thought that Marv Levy wanted "high-character" meaning "choir boy". But he clarified as specifically wanting "high FOOTBALL character". That means someone who lives to play the game, who will be first in last out, who will sacrifice their social standing for now in order to dedicate themselves to their profession. That doesnt mean they are perfect little angels off the field. For examples, if Marv wanted choir boys, then Kelly, Bruce, Bennett, and Thurman would have all been cut.

Temptation exists everywhere. Atleast Buffalo is small and could provide a better support system. He can't get lost in the shuffle here.

Completely untrue. You clearly dont know about the underworld of buffalo. Deep on Filmore, the Best street area. 31? I know for FACT that there were Bills down there and they were smoking and drinking and gambling. Dont let the wings and Niagara Falls fool you. You can get real caught up real quick in this little city

When was the last time he played an NFL game? He may be toast. You don't just leave the game for 2.5 yrs and not miss a beat.

He'll have some rust sure, but being he's only 25, I doubt he's forgotten how/unable to run and catch.

And now restarts the discussion of the definition of "character" in this situation.

A lot of people thought that Marv Levy wanted "high-character" meaning "choir boy". But he clarified as specifically wanting "high FOOTBALL character". That means someone who lives to play the game, who will be first in last out, who will sacrifice their social standing for now in order to dedicate themselves to their profession. That doesnt mean they are perfect little angels off the field. For examples, if Marv wanted choir boys, then Kelly, Bruce, Bennett, and Thurman would have all been cut.

That's exactly right about character that coaches mean. Bad part about Gordon is he has demonstrated no football character by simply not being able to resist a nonaddictive drug for the game he loves like what 6 times? I dont think anyone cares about the weed use... Its the lack of control and thus his lack of love for the game displayed that keeps him in doubt.

It doesnt sound like the Browns are giving up on Gordon just yet:

Are the Browns willing to part ways with eternally suspended wideout Josh Gordon?

It doesn't sound like it.

"We're not in a position at wide receiver to turn down a guy like Josh if we feel like he's settled himself," Browns executive VP of football operations Sashi Brown said Tuesday at the Annual League Meeting in Phoenix, per the Akron Beacon Journal.

.....Hugh has given up on him......so everything hinges on the upcoming reinstatement hearing.....if reinstated and knowing Hugh gave up (even though Pryor is gone), why offer anything if his release is imminent?....

^^^^

Last season, Browns coach Hue Jackson told reporters the team planned to "close that chapter" on Gordon, saying: "We're moving on."

Brown, though, sang a different tune on Tuesday night.

"Josh, assuming that he'd play at the level we started to see glimpses of last preseason and certainly when he was in the league before, would be a talent I think no team in the NFL would turn down if he got back in," Brown said. "Our decision with Josh is just understanding where he is in his process and being able to add him."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000796096/article/sashi-browns-not-in-position-to-dump-josh-gordon

He WAS talented. Years ago.

Didn't want to commit to the NFL or the team who owned his rights. I'm 100% sure he'd screw up a 7th time if he even gets another chance. Plz not here.

Edited by r00tabaga

....not always a given....remember Marv signing FA Kawica Mitchell at 12:01AM?......he wanted to be 1st in line BUT there was NO ONE behind him.....

Hue, when recently interviewed admitted that if Gordon is reinstated they would have to heavily consider keeping him. After being burned this many times they recognize his league leading talents, the same ability that was on display last preseason, is worth giving another chance. If the Browns don't keep him there will be more than half of the NFL willing to hear what it takes to get him. I want to be at the front of that line. I'm sure I'm not alone. Could it backfire, yep. But he is one of the best receivers in the league and the benefits outweigh the risks IMO.

Hue, when recently interviewed admitted that if Gordon is reinstated they would have to heavily consider keeping him. After being burned this many times they recognize his league leading talents, the same ability that was on display last preseason, is worth giving another chance. If the Browns don't keep him there will be more than half of the NFL willing to hear what it takes to get him. I want to be at the front of that line. I'm sure I'm not alone. Could it backfire, yep. But he is one of the best receivers in the league and the benefits outweigh the risks IMO.

...my apology bud....completely missed Hugh's change but it makes sense with Pryor bolting to Deadskins...............

• 3 weeks later...

I feel like this is an option that we forget could be a possibility and a real answer at WR. McDermott seems a high character guy, but maybe they take a flier if he becomes available. Was also thinking Martavis Bryant could be an option as well. Both have had problems for sure, but either could allow us to go after other options in the draft and not make WR a priority. It also may be the reason McCoach has said the WR2 is on the roster. Possibly he thinks we might have a shot at one of these two guys. Thoughts?

• 4 months later...

Wanted to dredge this up with September approaching and Gordon's possible reinstatement. With the NFL now interested in examining THC as a medical alternative, are his past shortcomings looked upon in a different light by Goodell?

If so and he is reinstated, do the Browns keep him?

Finally, if they try to move him do the Bills make a play.. IK, character concerns aside we have an opportunity to get an absolute stud (albeit out of football for awhile) for what I'd assume to be discount compensation.

Getting Gordon would definitely make Sammy's departure easier to swallow for those who are still licking the wound.

I think we romanticize Gordon a little too much. No offense Beastmode...I understand why you brought this up with the recent events.

Gordon had one big season which was in 2013....4 years ago. He last played in 2014...3 years ago.

To expect him to be at the same level as multiple seasons ago I think is far fetched.

Lol. No way would this regime touch him. It's more than substance abuse, it's laziness and lack of commitment to his team and the game.

If he is clean than the substance abuse isn't an issue or he's overcome that. Isnt it likely that this substance abuse was the reason behind the laziness and lack of commitment. With that in the rear view and the last opportunity to redeem himself, I'd say that could be fuel to play with a chip on his shoulder and reclaim the crown he held.

I agree that McD is probably thinking what you are but someone is gonna give him a shot and it could pay off huge.

If he is clean than the substance abuse isn't an issue or he's overcome that. Isnt it likely that this substance abuse was the reason behind the laziness and lack of commitment. With that in the rear view and the last opportunity to redeem himself, I'd say that could be fuel to play with a chip on his shoulder and reclaim the crown he held.

I agree that McD is probably thinking what you are but someone is gonna give him a shot and it could pay off huge.

he hasn't played in 4 years

as long as he doesn't kneel quietly during the anthem, all will be forgiven.

I get the talk about how he hasn't played since 2014 and is now 3 years removed from his big season in 2013 and going on his 4th if he doesn't play this year.

HOWEVER, the kid is only 26 still and Philly once gave up on a guy named Cris Carter who turned his life around too and made it all the way back, and Gordon's issues are far from as bad as Cris was.

So, I would be more than willing to risk 5th or a low round pick on him in a heartbeat, assuming he gets reinstated. But, all the talk out of Cleveland is that if he is reinstated they will give him an opportunity there. They don't really have anything to lose and everything to gain if he can keep from getting suspended. If I was Cleveland, given he is only 26, I would rather take a chance on him then get some low round pick for him as they have a ton of draft assets already, they don't really gain much from a low pick. If he can even be 75% of what he was then they will have a pretty good WR to say the least. And last time he came back he was already showing his dominance right away.

I seriously doubt they trade him unless someone takes a real chance and offers a pick they can't refuse like a 3rd or higher, which isn't going to happen given the level of risk. He will either be a Brown or out of the NFL IMO.