Team needs?

So what are the positions we focus on now in the draft with all of the signings?

Me trade down if possible.

1. Jabrill Peppers - S, Michigan or O.J. Howard - TE, Alabama or Malik McDowell - DT, Michigan State

2. Zay Jones, WR, East Carolina OrTeez Tabor, CB, Florida or Obi Melifonwu, S, Connecticut or Dion Dawkins, T, Temple

3. Cooper Kupp, WR, Eastern Washington Or Chris Godwin, WR, Penn State or George Kittle, TE, Iowa

After that I don't care. Any thoughts?

IMO the biggest starting needs are, in no particular order

On offense RT, WR2, and WR3

On defense C2, S1

To a lessor degree Nickel Corner if Hyde is our starting safety, and if not, S2, and OLB

For the future a DT to eventually replace Kyle

jc

So what are the positions we focus on now in the draft with all of the signings?

1. Jabrill Peppers - S, Michigan or O.J. Howard - TE, Alabama or Malik McDowell - DT, Michigan State

2. Zay Jones, WR, East Carolina OrTeez Tabor, CB, Florida or Obi Melifonwu, S, Connecticut or Dion Dawkins, T, Temple

3. Cooper Kupp, WR, Eastern Washington Or Chris Godwin, WR, Penn State or George Kittle, TE, Iowa

Peppers is not good at football

Peppers is not good at football

This.

Please help me understand the fascination with this guy. He's not good in coverage, and he's too small to play linebacker. I get how a versatile LB/S is valuable in McDermott's defense, but this guy doesn't appear to be a very good football player. Am I missing why he is worth being taken in the first round?

This.

Please help me understand the fascination with this guy. He's not good in coverage, and he's too small to play linebacker. I get how a versatile LB/S is valuable in McDermott's defense, but this guy doesn't appear to be a very good football player. Am I missing why he is worth being taken in the first round?

Shows what you know.

Once upon a midnight dream, there was tweener, who everyone questioned.

"He's not a first rounder," they said.

"He doesn't have enough production," they said.

Well, his name was Maybin, and he WAS drafted in the first round!

How you like them apples.

Edited by LeGOATski

We need the following to happen..

1. Draft a superstar player in round one, regardless of position.

2.Draft a great player in round 2, regardless if position.

3. Draft a reliable starting player in round 3, regardless of position.

4.Tom Brady and Bill Belichick experience one or more of the following:

A. Criminal incarceration

B. Retirement

C. Alien Abduction

D. Entrapment in an alternate reality, such as Alice in wonderland, Chronicles of Narnia, or Wizard of Oz

This.

It's a ton of hype, a name people know, he played both sides of the ball at Michigan which gets attention, but I don't think he was ever the best player on either side of the ball for them.

QB is a priority but there aren't any "Andrew Lucks" in this draft. The team, from the owners on down, are not going to go for a "tank" to get in position to get a top QB next year. The team has been built to compete, except for idiot coaches, the last few years and is in desperate need of a franchise QB.

So what do they do??

They can keep drafting pieces to fit around the current QB, which is likely, or they can go for it with one of the QB's available this year. Watson and Trubisky are probably in the Dalton/Tannehill mold, Kizer is the project and Mahomes is the wildcard. 2 will most likely be gone before 10 (Jets/Browns) but if any of Mahomes/Trubisky/Watson are there, you grab them at 10, or trade down a few spots, and start your future right there. Whaley will probably catch hell but he desperately needs a franchise QB, and he can get one to Learn for a year, or more, behind Taylor. The rest of the draft he can piece the rest of the team together but, it's possible, the future of the organization starts around the 10th pick in this years draft.

I'm going to catch hell but this needs to happen at some point.

IMO

We need a weak side LB, a WR and corners.

That's why I'm in favor of trading down.

My ideal scenario would involve this

Houston loses out on the Romo deal, Cousins remains in DC, NE doesn't trade Jimmy G to Cleveland.

SF picks a QB. With Cleveland and Arizona right behind us, Houston offers their first pick (25th) a third this year, next year's first, but in this deal we give up a 4th next year and our 6th this year. All to get a QB

Recap: our 10th pick, our 6th round pick and next year's forth for Houston's 25th pick, a third and next year's first.

We draft Foster, who I could see falling after the combine. 2nd round we pick Zay Jones and a CB like Witherspoon in the third and another WR or CB in the third.

Then next year we have two firsts, so if Tyrod struggles we have the picks to move up to get a better pick and QB. If he doesn't struggle, then we will have two picks to fill other holes.

Getting vets on a one year deal wouldn't be a bad move either i.e. Stevie Johnson if he's healthy and the corner from Tampa.

We then could carry additional cap room into Free agency next year

Safety and it's not close. Especially playing Brees, Brady twice, Matt Ryan, Derek Carr, and Rivers. Plus Cam Dalton Luck Tannehill and a matchup with Travis Kelce.

CB is #2. And since 5 of these guys will be gone in addition to Davis and the 2 DEs....I'd look into trading back, drafting OJ Howard, a DT, or RT.

My over under on wins by the way is 5. The schedule in addition to the secondary being a mess--we better hope the front 7 is beast--that means significant impact from Lawson and Ragland and Dareus being the 2014 Dareus.

TE is not even close to being a need right now.

WR, CB, S, OT, ILB are bigger needs than TE.

We need the BPA

So if the BPA at 10 is a running back, you're taking a running back? What if the BPA in round 2 is another running back? You going running back in rounds 1 and 2? Might not be too crazy, running back is super deep this year. That's a bold strategy on your part though. Edited by metzelaars_lives

We need the BPA

I wouldn't take BPA if it's a RB or DE.

Safety and it's not close. Especially playing Brees, Brady twice, Matt Ryan, Derek Carr, and Rivers. Plus Cam Dalton Luck Tannehill and a matchup with Travis Kelce.CB is #2. And since 5 of these guys will be gone in addition to Davis and the 2 DEs....I'd look into trading back, drafting OJ Howard, a DT, or RT. My over under on wins by the way is 5. The schedule in addition to the secondary being a mess--we better hope the front 7 is beast--that means significant impact from Lawson and Ragland and Dareus being the 2014 Dareus.

I would never make a draft pick based on the upcoming years schedule. That's nuts. It looks like Hyde and Poyer will be our safeties. Hyde may slide down and play some nickel cb but I think he plays more safety. I'd rank LB>CB>safety> WR> RT as our biggest needs.

We need speed at LB. we need another CB, trusting Seymour to be our #2 is a bit of a reach at this point imo. WR would be ahead of Safety in another offense and with a different QB. RT needs to be upgraded but it may not happen this year. Weird draft for RT prospect imo.

This.

McDermott's defense was in nickel 71% off the time last year. That's all.

I'm hoping that's why we signed Hyde, to be the nickel DB, he's a good one

But I think he's a potentially weak starting safety so we badly need a young one with a higher talent ceiling

If not I agree 100% we need a #1 corner and also a starting nickel corner

I disagree about ILB being a need

We have both Ragland and Brown

I also agree TE and DE is not a need

And I still think we need a starting WR#3 on top of a starting WR#2

Lots of starting holes and only 3 high draft picks...

jc

It's a ton of hype, a name people know, he played both sides of the ball at Michigan which gets attention, but I don't think he was ever the best player on either side of the ball for them.

He's no Myles Jack. That's for sure.

So if the BPA at 10 is a running back, you're taking a running back? What if the BPA in round 2 is another running back? You going running back in rounds 1 and 2? Might not be too crazy, running back is super deep this year. That's a bold strategy on your part though.

RB is not likely to be BPA in the first, but sure.

Whaley and Co. take need into consideration when constructing their big board. I believe he explained this in a video a couple years ago.

If RB happens to be at the top when it's their turn, then take the RB. Trust the board.

Of course, you can use logic. If two guys are close and you just drafted one of their positions a round earlier, then take the position you didn't draft.

It sucks that I had to actually explain this to an adult.

This.

Well I'm sold. Is he open to wearing number 43?

IMO current team needs are:

*QB (not a slam on Tyrod but the team obviously doesn't view him as a franchise QB so they need to get their QB of the future/ Tyrod contingency plan early in the draft either this year or next) Also CB1, WR2, LB, S

And I wouldn't call them "needs" but definitely areas where the Bills could benefit a lot from an upgrade: RT & TE2

They also need to draft KW's replacement soon, and add some depth at D-line, LB, and maybe DB

We need the BPAI wouldn't take BPA if it's a RB or DE.Safety and it's not close. Especially playing Brees, Brady twice, Matt Ryan, Derek Carr, and Rivers. Plus Cam Dalton Luck Tannehill and a matchup with Travis Kelce.CB is #2. And since 5 of these guys will be gone in addition to Davis and the 2 DEs....I'd look into trading back, drafting OJ Howard, a DT, or RT. My over under on wins by the way is 5. The schedule in addition to the secondary being a mess--we better hope the front 7 is beast--that means significant impact from Lawson and Ragland and Dareus being the 2014 Dareus.I would never make a draft pick based on the upcoming years schedule. That's nuts. .
Don't misunderstand....I agree....I'm just using the upcoming schedule as an additional reason.The main reason is the secondary is the worst position on the team..WRs is a close 2nd.

Safety is a huge concern. I fear we will be watching a lot of big plays being given up next year if we can't figure that out. Losing Aaron the last couple years to injury and then permanently this off-season has, in my opinion, consistently created the biggest hole on our team.

After that: WR, CB, RT, and LB in that order.

I think the secondary, as a whole, is the biggest need.

The only way the Bills make the playoffs next year is to improve significantly on defense. To keep the score low. If they can keep the opposition under 21 points a game, the Bills have a good chance of being a quality team. If, however, the opposition scores in droves, we all know Tyrod is NOT the type of guy -- and the Bills don't have the type of offense -- to play from behind and win shootouts.

Offensively, I personally think that JUST adding a legit WR2 would be enough. A TE2 and a RT would be great, but they're not the same level of NEED. They're more of "would be nice to have"s.

Secondary? WR2? NEEDS. Big ones, if the Bills hope to compete in 2017.

Edited by Logic

QB is a priority but there aren't any "Andrew Lucks" in this draft. The team, from the owners on down, are not going to go for a "tank" to get in position to get a top QB next year. The team has been built to compete, except for idiot coaches, the last few years and is in desperate need of a franchise QB.

So what do they do??

They can keep drafting pieces to fit around the current QB, which is likely, or they can go for it with one of the QB's available this year. Watson and Trubisky are probably in the Dalton/Tannehill mold, Kizer is the project and Mahomes is the wildcard. 2 will most likely be gone before 10 (Jets/Browns) but if any of Mahomes/Trubisky/Watson are there, you grab them at 10, or trade down a few spots, and start your future right there. Whaley will probably catch hell but he desperately needs a franchise QB, and he can get one to Learn for a year, or more, behind Taylor. The rest of the draft he can piece the rest of the team together but, it's possible, the future of the organization starts around the 10th pick in this years draft.

I'm going to catch hell but this needs to happen at some point.

IMO

I wouldn't be surprised if only 1 QB was off the board by pick #10... Everything I have heard and or read says Cleveland takes Myles Garrett with the 1st pick... They are also rumored to be hot to acquire Garrapolo from NE... That pretty much leaves SF and NYJ as the other two teams that potentially grab a QB before pick #10... I think we will see only one of them pull the trigger on a QB that early...

I think they will sign another low key lb and cb in free agency filling most of their needs. However they can still use upgrades or more depth at most positions: wr, rt , lb, cb , s , te , and qb. Thats why its so hard to predict what they are gonna do at the draft, seems like they could go 5 different positions in each round

Edited by Pbomb

Whaley and Co. take need into consideration when constructing their big board. I believe he explained this in a video a couple years ago.

I remember this video well and I believe Whaley was explaining BPA very differently than how TBD views BPA. He said BPA means who is the BPA for the Buffalo Bills. The BPA for one team may not be the BPA for another. He places need and scheme into this equation.

At this point a Vet backup QB is something I feel we need to address. If the reports were true about Jones, I feel a little less then confident about him. I would like to see a vet come in and stabilize the backup pos. When EJ was here we were always 1 hit away from an auto-loss...I don't feel much better right now. Go out and get a guy like Chase Daniel or even Fitz.

BPA that is not a RB or DL. I would probably add OL to the list to exclude but this year the talent at OL is terrible and they will exclude themselves. Same goes for QB. There is not a QB worth a first round pick. However Trubisky will get drafted and someone will trade into the last first round and take Mahomes if he gets past Denver.

That leaves BPA amongst CB, S, WR, LB, and TE - plenty of choices there.