2017 Team by Team Salary Cap Tracker

papazoid

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/2017/

Buffalo has the 24th most estimated cap space for 2017 @ $31.5 mil (NE has $71.5)

$168 mil @ est salary cap (some believe it will go to $170)

$5 mil @ roll over from 2016

$173 @ adjusted total salary cap 2017

$140 @ top 51 contracts (with TT & without Gilmore)

$1.5 @ dead money (that's very good)

$141.5 @ total top 51 & dead money

$31.5 @ available cap for 2017

The Pats are pretty good at the salary cap thing :(

Yeah that NE team is good at everything. Which is why when Brady's battery finally does run out, it still might not get better,

If the Bills have 31M in space, why cut Tyrod? Doing so would free up money to spend on whom? And once you spend that money, you still have no QB.

I for one don't want to give 15M to Gilmore.

31M gets you a couple of UFA DB's, you can improve the RT position and target a WR, and get a new kicker. Plus you draft a WR or 2, perhaps another QB, a couple of DB's.

brady gronk blount and edelman are all underpaid, cant really think of anyone on their def who gets paid alot besides mccourty. They are gonna have to start paying these guys sometime. Unless kraft works out other arrangements

brady gronk blount and edelman are all underpaid, cant really think of anyone on their def who gets paid alot besides mccourty. They are gonna have to start paying these guys sometime. Unless kraft works out other arrangements

As long as they have Brady they don't have to overpay anyone but the steroid delivery guy.

Yeah that NE team is good at everything. Which is why when Brady's battery finally does run out, it still might not get better,

If the Bills have 31M in space, why cut Tyrod? Doing so would free up money to spend on whom? And once you spend that money, you still have no QB.

31M gets you a couple of UFA DB's, you can improve the RT position and target a WR, and get a new kicker. Plus you draft a WR or 2, perhaps another QB, a couple of DB's.

They have 24 UFA. That means they have a ton of roster spots to fill with that 31. It's not as much space as you think

He already has. Brady's little project next to the stadium makes sure he gets paid in ways that the NFL doesn't have to know about.

I agree that the Patriots are good at everything but Brady being so good does allow them to spend less elsewhere. They lose that when the Mary hangs up his tutu. Also I wouldn't be surprised if little Bill rides off into the sunset with him.

So you dont want to give Gilmore 15M a year why? Not worth it?

But want to give a QB that is not good enough a guanteeed 2 year contract

So you dont want to give Gilmore 15M a year why? Not worth it?

But want to give a QB that is not good enough a guanteeed 2 year contract

The problem comes to the replacement. We cut Tyrod, we need a valid replacement. I could go with Romo or Cousins or some other high caliber QB, but I can't stomach a Kaepernick or Hoyer in 2017. We might as well tank at that point.

So yes, keep Tyrod if there is no replacement plan, because he gives us the best chance to win.

I agree that the Patriots are good at everything but Brady being so good does allow them to spend less elsewhere. They lose that when the Mary hangs up his tutu. Also I wouldn't be surprised if little Bill rides off into the sunset with him.

He is turning 40 in August. Not much longer thank god.

The problem comes to the replacement. We cut Tyrod, we need a valid replacement. I could go with Romo or Cousins or some other high caliber QB, but I can't stomach a Kaepernick or Hoyer in 2017. We might as well tank at that point.

So yes, keep Tyrod if there is no replacement plan, because he gives us the best chance to win.

News flash they are not winning next year.

Go get your QB in draft and get s cheap vet that does exactly what TT does

Cuz they find cheap free agents that fit their system and dump superstar players like Jamie Collins and Chandler Jones that will cost them a butt load of money. If you can get production out of guys like Edelman, Ninkovich, Dion Lewis, etc. you won't ever need to break bank to get production.

Amen

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/2017/

Buffalo has the 24th most estimated cap space for 2017 @ $31.5 mil (NE has $71.5)

NE has bigger cap space than losing teams and IS in a major media market? Damn Kraft's making tons of money over there. That's how you manage a team. That's the very definition of having your cake and it too. He's living the friggin dream. I hope he's paying Belicheat a good cut of the cap space money Belicheat is saving him.

I have little doubt that one of the reasons Brady agrees to play for far less than his market value is that they have a handshake deal to hire him on in some capacity where he gets a handsome paycheck but doesn't have to do much/anything after he retires.

They have Brady listed as receiving $1M salary ($14M cap hit), which is ridiculous. Gronk plays for $7M. It's pretty sick.

Part of it is if you're winning, players want to stay with a winner. But a lot of it is NE has a stable system for a long time and can trade off expensive "star" players for extra draft picks, so they can take extra shots on goal at drafting replacements while making their salary cap hits someone else's problem.

They have 24 UFA. That means they have a ton of roster spots to fill with that 31. It's not as much space as you think

It depends, dunnit? Here's the FA list http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/buffalo-bills/

Which of those FA started? Of the FA who started, which were starting to replace injured players? Which do you want back?

Of those 24 UFA, there may be 12 or so the Bills could want back (+/- how they might fit in the new scheme and what we can get as upgrade). Of those, 1 is top-tier, maybe 3 or 4 are going to want to get paid and we keep 2, and 6 or 7 are vet-minimum type guys who contribute good depth. Then there are guys who were rookies and didn't play, but you would like to see step up and play so maybe you keep them and let the FA go.

That's how I see it anyway. And how it should work.

The Bills real problem as I see it is they have too many players expected to be starters or core contributors who can not be relied upon - Henderson due to Crohn's and suspensions, Dareus due to potential suspensions, A Williams due to injury history, maybe Sammy Watkins. Something like 8 or 9 of the players on that FA list were brought in to replace injured players. So do we count on the injured guys, or can't we?

News flash they are not winning next year.

Go get your QB in draft and get s cheap vet that does exactly what TT does

Bobby, once again: who is this cheap vet that "does exactly what TT does"? Remember to be cheap, he has to be available and not in demand by other teams.

Let me help, here's the list: http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/quarterback/

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

I have little doubt that one of the reasons Brady agrees to play for far less than his market value is that they have a handshake deal to hire him on in some capacity where he gets a handsome paycheck but doesn't have to do much/anything after he retires.

i mean he has a 22 mil cap hit in 2018 and 2019. and he got a 28 mil signing bonus last year so it's not like he's taking a pay cut. but at this point he's chasing rings not money as he's made a couple hundred mil not counting ads. and the pats have the number 1 scoring defense so it;s also not like they're asking him to do a whole lot. best run team out there.

They have Brady listed as receiving $1M salary ($14M cap hit), which is ridiculous. Gronk plays for $7M. It's pretty sick.

Part of it is if you're winning, players want to stay with a winner. But a lot of it is NE has a stable system for a long time and can trade off expensive "star" players for extra draft picks, so they can take extra shots on goal at drafting replacements while making their salary cap hits someone else's problem.

I'm always curious as to why the union doesn't complain more about Brady's salary structure. He's skewing the average for quarterbacks in a big way. It probably affects guys who get franchised.

The issue with tyrod has never been 2017, honestly. It's the fact that to keep him means committing to a big hit in 2018 and 2019 too

The issue with tyrod has never been 2017, honestly. It's the fact that to keep him means committing to a big hit in 2018 and 2019 too

not really. if we manage to draft the franchise qb they will be on the rookie contract. tyrod does have a fairly large hit but if we cut him after the 2018 season its a 10 mil dead cap hit or we could split it over 2 years and make it 4 mil hit in 19 and 6 mil in 20. not fun to have dead money but if we do manage to get the franchise qb in this draft or the next the last thing we will be worried about is 1 year of bad dead money.

Seriously, the NFL should be monitoring this. If the Pats ** long run has Brady playing at a significant saving in the cap era and they prosper from it the whole time......just saying. I thought Brady was making $9 million a year when his peers made $20. The Pats ** not only continue to circumvent the system, but, do it in front of us while they laugh at us.

I'm always curious as to why the union doesn't complain more about Brady's salary structure. He's skewing the average for quarterbacks in a big way. It probably affects guys who get franchised.

Because they would be trying to tell a player to defer payments in order to skew the franchise tag up instead of take his bonus up front and that's an absurd request

Seriously, the NFL should be monitoring this. If the Pats ** long run has Brady playing at a significant saving in the cap era and they prosper from it the whole time......just saying. I thought Brady was making $9 million a year when his peers made $20. The Pats ** not only continue to circumvent the system, but, do it in front of us while they laugh at us.

He got a 28m bonus this year and 1m in salary

not really. if we manage to draft the franchise qb they will be on the rookie contract. tyrod does have a fairly large hit but if we cut him after the 2018 season its a 10 mil dead cap hit or we could split it over 2 years and make it 4 mil hit in 19 and 6 mil in 20. not fun to have dead money but if we do manage to get the franchise qb in this draft or the next the last thing we will be worried about is 1 year of bad dead money.

That's a big if and you are neglecting addressing having a backup qb at 17m in 2018 and then another 10m in dead money in 2019 if we get that guy this year

So the best case of finding a guy that can takeover in this year's draft ends with a backup qb for one year eating 27m in cap space. I'll be thrilled to have our qb and the dead money is a distant afterthought if we have a 15 year starter in place but you can't write off 27m for 1 year of backup qb play as a non issue. We can easily fit tyrod this year but it's not just a this year choice.

Edited by NoSaint

Because they would be trying to tell a player to defer payments in order to skew the franchise tag up instead of take his bonus up front and that's an absurd request

He got a 28m bonus this year and 1m in salary

That's a big if and you are neglecting addressing having a backup qb at 17m in 2018 and then another 10m in dead money in 2019 if we get that guy this year

So the best case of finding a guy that can takeover in this year's draft ends with a backup qb for one year eating 27m in cap space. I'll be thrilled to have our qb and the dead money is a distant afterthought if we have a 15 year starter in place but you can't write off 27m for 1 year of backup qb play as a non issue. We can easily fit tyrod this year but it's not just a this year choice.

well it would be similar to the cowboys this year only less cap hit. they have their guy but have some cap issues. the boys can straight cut romo and save 5 mil or june 1 cut him and split over 2 years. again it would suck to have dead money but it's part of the business.

well it would be similar to the cowboys this year only less cap hit. they have their guy but have some cap issues. the boys can straight cut romo and save 5 mil or june 1 cut him and split over 2 years. again it would suck to have dead money but it's part of the business.

Except it would kind of be the cowboys plus an extra year in the situation potentially. If the rookie took over year 1 ala dak we would be stuck year two and then able to make a move year 3

But yea, similarities I definitely agree. Tyrod being younger and far less established presents wrinkles too potentially (good and bad)