Bills Hire Sean McDermott as New Head Coach

It's a good thing--you've gotta give the coach the resources that he wants in each of those fields. If nothing else, it gives him a comfort level that the day-to-day things are being handled as he sees fit.

I get that. Hopefully it just means the hiring of those people and not the management of those people was my point. Don't want him doing more than he has to.

I get that. Hopefully it just means the hiring of those people and not the management of those people was my point. Don't want him doing more than he has to.

I don't see much in the ways of management--it's more about setting the expectations in the offseason for how certain things will be handled logistically and administratively.

@SalSports

One of differences in org structure you may see in Bills next regime is support staff such as equipment, medical, video will be under HC...

Medical is an interesting one. It was reported during Marrone's time that both him and Whaley wanted modern medical practices within the organization, but the old regime wanted to keep things the way they were. Marrone and Whaley felt "stim and ice" was an old outdated practice.

Equipment is another as it was apparent the Bills did not know how to play in the snow this year.

@RQUINN619

Sean McDermott 'encouraged' by Bills hiring process, front office structure

In a column by ESPN’s Dan Graziano, he reported on the process that’s occurred since McDermott first made contact with the Bills. McDermott’s representatives have apparently been in contact with Buffalo’s front office since their first discussion.

By Graziano’s account, McDermott, who coached under Ron Rivera with the Panthers, has been encouraged with everything he’s heard about Buffalo, from their front office structure to the day-to-day operations.

McDermott reportedly isn’t worried as much about seeking control as he is with who is responsible for specific duties and how everyone in the organization will work together to turn the team around.

Medical is an interesting one. It was reported during Marrone's time that both him and Whaley wanted modern medical practices within the organization, but the old regime wanted to keep things the way they were. Marrone and Whaley felt "stim and ice" was an old outdated practice.

Equipment is another as it was apparent the Bills did not know how to play in the snow this year.

Yep. Exactly.

This is where I'm at.

McDermott was a leading voice in encouraging Kuechly not to play again this year...and said all the right things. Would have been more interesting if the Panthers had been in the playoff race.

By the way...Look for the Bills to go after AJ Klein LB hard in free agency....

@RQUINN619

Sean McDermott 'encouraged' by Bills hiring process, front office structure

https://t.co/PDcTAqEOaq

Without reading too much into this little blurb that feels like a guy that cares about attention to detail. He is looking for clarity and more black and white. Conceptual people (like me) deal more in shades of gray. That can leave certain things falling through the cracks. Attention to detail is one of the most important traits that I want from this regime. (Now I read way too much into the quote)

Without reading too much into this little blurb that feels like a guy that cares about attention to detail. He is looking for clarity and more black and white. Conceptual people (like me) deal more in shades of gray. That can leave certain things falling through the cracks. Attention to detail is one of the most important traits that I want from this regime. (Now I read way too much into the quote)

Up until this year Quinn was a blogger for BillsMafia/FamBase, and BuildingTheHerd. This year he got the national media nod, and for the most part I think he does great work.

He's a poster on here too.

What, that can't be right. I heard from TBN that everything in the front office and organization was a tire fire and that we should let it burn!!!

This the kumbaya that is always spun when a coaching is getting hired. When you step away from the ledge and look at the facts; the same dysfunctional people that were hired while RW owned the team are for the most part still there. These are the same people who said that when Rex walked in the room, they could finish each others sentences. They were lock step in alignment, etc.

The best move the Pegs could have done was clean house once Marrone left; they didn't. they had another chance this year; they didn't. Same people, same culture really will give you the same results...

Everyone's decidedly middling on this choice and a lot of it depends on who the coordinators are .. but let me give you a take from a Panthers fan (adopted team)...McDermott has had a lot of talent on the front 7 in Carolina but he has also dealt with a lot of change. The turnover has been what you would expect in NFL but he has lost both front four and secondary members every year and still thrived. The core has been a solid LB core led by Keuchly and Davis--both of whom are really talented. McDermott has made the slight adjustments every year to make new personnel work and has gotten great production from both 1st round draft picks and players like Mario Addison an undrafted free agent.

The guy adapts scheme and role to the player -- the gap assignments and alignment remain the same but the roles change based on who is in the role.

Some things I think will happen. Keep in mind that the current Bills have more talent than what he started with in Carolina.

Kyle Williams will want to play in this system

Marcel Dareus will thrive in this system. Watch some tape of Kawann Short and Star Lotulelei

Jerry Hughes and Shaq Lawson will be hand on the ground rushers

Lorenzo Alexander will be retained

The LB group needs to change to a quicker gap fillers with coverage skills -- look for AJ Klein to be a FA target -- not sure P. Brown and Ragland fit- I think Zach Brown is actually a better fit.

Gilmore likely will not be retained

Look for the Bills to draft a Shaq Thompson type LB - McDermott's real creative juices flowed with Shaq

With a ball control offense this D could be dominating again. I would be fine with McCoy or retaining Lynn if he doesn't get another offer.

I think the guys a good young coach. I think he will be here for a long time. He's got the teaching skills, creativity and has been part of two great cultures - Eagles under Reid and Panthers under Rivera. He is not going to set the world on fire in pressers or make brash promises but he has a lot more fire than Jauron or Gailey and a lot more culture building skills than Marrone.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

After what happened to the Panthers' D in 2016 with the departure of Norman, I have to wonder if Gilmore becomes a higher priority for McDermott and the Bills.

Not at his asking price, and that is the issue.

After what happened to the Panthers' D in 2016 with the departure of Norman, I have to wonder if Gilmore becomes a higher priority for McDermott and the Bills.

If our Safety situation was better; it might be easier to let him walk since you could scheme your way around it. With us, you almost certainly have to let Tyrod walk to sign Gilmore and I think that is a trade off I would make...

Darby, Robey-Coleman, Listenbee, Meeks, Williams, Graham just does nothing for me...I feel it's better if you add Hooker/Adams/Peppers, but I would feel really good with Gilmore tossed in there...

Everyone's decidedly middling on this choice and a lot of it depends on who the coordinators are .. but let me give you a take from a Panthers fan (adopted team)...McDermott has had a lot of talent on the front 7 in Carolina but he has also dealt with a lot of change. The turnover has been what you would expect in NFL but he has lost both front four and secondary members every year and still thrived. The core has been a solid LB core led by Keuchly and Davis--both of whom are really talented. McDermott has made the slight adjustments every year to make new personnel work and has gotten great production from both 1st round draft picks and players like Mario Addison an undrafted free agent.

The guy adapts scheme and role to the player -- the gap assignments and alignment remain the same but the roles change based on who is in the role.

Some things I think will happen. Keep in mind that the current Bills have more talent than what he started with in Carolina.

Kyle Williams will want to play in this system

Marcel Dareus will thrive in this system. Watch some tape of Kawann Short and Star Lotulelei

Jerry Hughes and Shaq Lawson will be hand on the ground rushers

Lorenzo Alexander will be retained

The LB group needs to change to a quicker gap fillers with coverage skills -- look for AJ Klein to be a FA target -- not sure P. Brown and Ragland fit- I think Zach Brown is actually a better fit.

Gilmore likely will not be retained

Look for the Bills to draft a Shaq Thompson type LB - McDermott's real creative juices flowed with Shaq

With a ball control offense this D could be dominating again. I would be fine with McCoy or retaining Lynn if he doesn't get another offer.

I think the guys a good young coach. I think he will be here for a long time. He's got the teaching skills, creativity and has been part of two great cultures - Eagles under Reid and Panthers under Rivera. He is not going to set the world on fire in pressers or make brash promises but he has a lot more fire than Jauron or Gailey and a lot more culture building skills than Marrone

Sounds good other than the Ragland comment. My first thought was great, the guy was another wasted pick. What now.

I dunno. I think it will all depend on the price tag. If he really requires top 5 money he's probably gone. You don't need elite talent in a zone coverage scheme and Gilmore is admittedly more of a bump and run one on one matchup kind of guy.

I dunno. I think it will all depend on the price tag. If he really requires top 5 money he's probably gone. You don't need elite talent in a zone coverage scheme and Gilmore is admittedly more of a bump and run one on one matchup kind of guy.

The Panthers sure as hell missed Norman much more than they anticipated.

You can still have a blend of zone and man coverage and give even more flexibility to your defensive design...

I wonder if the "2nd interview" is not really a job interview about McDermott's qualifications for the position.

Maybe it's more about contract details, chain of command, roster authority, roles and responsibilities, and so on.

Likely about those things you pointed out in the 2nd sentence as well as locking down key assistants.

The Panthers sure as hell missed Norman much more than they anticipated.

Well they did lose more than just Norman fyi. I don't really hate Gilmore like a lot of people here do and I think he is a decent corner, my personal opinion is that we could get similar production in this system from a cheaper FA and leave ourselves some cap room.