Bills Hire Sean McDermott as New Head Coach

So much for Pegulas staying out of the coaching search :)

Anyone who believes the owner of a billion dollar business would not be involved in selection of one the most important positions in the organization is seriously delusional.

Anyone who believes the owner of a billion dollar business would not be involved in selection of one the most important positions in the organization is seriously delusional.

That's not the point. Of course Pegula's will sign off on the final decision. That's not in question.

But after getting roasted this week about the Rex issue and views that they may have swayed the last coaching decision, and them saying quite publicly that Whaley & Monos will handle the coaching search - where is the very first coaching interview being conducted?

If Reich can develop a QB and he kept Lynn as OC to keep the running game intact. And was able to bring in Gus Bradley to run the defense, I'd be fine with this hire. If not, peace out.

Help me here, what's the attraction of Bradley? The Jags D has been dismal swamp and there have been media reports hailing Marrone as a huge step up for accountability and pushing the team towards winning.

Why is Bradley all that and a bag of chips on D?

i still don't want him.

Why don't you want McDermott? You're a smart guy and know your D. I'm not saying I do want him, just asking.

It came across to me as though Whaley would be compiling the list of his candidates for the HC position, and obviously all parties would be involved in interviewing the prospective candidates. This does not seem like a change in strategy.

It depends upon how different opinions are weighted. At least this time there will be 2 football guys in the room.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

I'm actually reasonably comfortable with McDermott. He's had a fairly consistent performance (relative - as someone pointed out earlier ups and downs are nearly unescapable), and breathes football. I'd like to see our D under him for sure. Wonder if it's possible to retain Lynn as OC.

Help me here, what's the attraction of Bradley? The Jags D has been dismal swamp and there have been media reports hailing Marrone as a huge step up for accountability and pushing the team towards winning.

Why is Bradley all that and a bag of chips on D?

Why don't you want McDermott? You're a smart guy and know your D. I'm not saying I do want him, just asking.

It depends upon how different opinions are weighted. At least this time there will be 2 football guys in the room.

I'll type more tomorrow if you remind me

He over achieved last year, had no ability to rush a passer, needs an amazing set of LB's and has good corners

Still his team's wore out and they teams come back late. Every week teams climbed back on them.

Take away Norman and they're this bad now?!? Cmon! But they'll have Gilmore next year, they'll be better

In all of my years in watching football to this day when the Bills played the Panthers in EJs rookie year I was as impressed with the Panthers defense that day as I have ever been with an NFL defense. The reason being is they had about 6 starters out and it got to the point they had to put linebackers in a safety or vice versa due to all of the in game injuries and they were still relentless. I was just very impressed with how they didn't give up or miss a beat. At the time I attributed that to Ron Rivera but McDermott deserves equal credit.

I did some digging and I found the workup of McDermott's scheme and I have to say I'm a fan based on what we have: http://www.catscratchreader.com/2012/2/28/2831884/the-panthers-defense-a-treatise-on-the-jim-johnson-4-3-part-i

It's closer to Pettine's 4-3 under: Dareus moves back to one gapping the 1 tech. Hughes plays the role of 9 tech DE. They need a 7 tech DE on the strong side, so I would either use Lawson there, or have him be the Sam (which is where the other Lawson used to play).

He plays a zone defense so hopefully he can help out Darby.

Edit: Looking it over, I would put Douzable at the 7 tech, Lawson at SLB, Ragland or Preston at MLB and Ragland or Zach at WLB.

I think that gives us our front 7 back.

I still think 3 tech is how you get the most outta the 100 million dollar man.

That's not the point. Of course Pegula's will sign off on the final decision. That's not in question.

But after getting roasted this week about the Rex issue and views that they may have swayed the last coaching decision, and them saying quite publicly that Whaley & Monos will handle the coaching search - where is the very first coaching interview being conducted?

Whaley said the interview panel will consist of him, monos, terry and Kim. I think you are confusing two different things. Whaley is heading up the search. The actual interview process consists of a lot of things prior and following the actual interview - compiling the candidate pool, doing homework on the candidates, reaching out with initial conversations, etc , (I.e heading up the search)... then the actual interviews take place. It's a 4 person panel interview.

The ownership never said that they were staying out of the interview process. The only person who will not be involved as opposed to last time,as they clearly laid it out, is Russ Brandon due to his new roles across both teams and PSE.

Edited by YoloinOhio

In all of my years in watching football to this day when the Bills played the Panthers in EJs rookie year I was as impressed with the Panthers defense that day as I have ever been with an NFL defense. The reason being is they had about 6 starters out and it got to the point they had to put linebackers in a safety or vice versa due to all of the in game injuries and they were still relentless. I was just very impressed with how they didn't give up or miss a beat. At the time I attributed that to Ron Rivera but McDermott deserves equal credit.

They run a very simple system (on both sides of the ball), which allows their players to play fast. IMO in today's NFL, it's the right way to go.

They run a very simple system (on both sides of the ball), which allows their players to play fast. IMO in today's NFL, it's the right way to go.

I think it has been the way for a very long time.... the one piece of advice Marv always says he would give to new Head Coaches is "throw away three quarters of your playbook - you don't need it."

Whaley said the interview panel will consist of him, monos, terry and Kim.

I don't think he said that.

---

A: Well, this search will be different. The first one, I was an assistant [General Manager]. The second one, we did by a committee approach. This one will fall squarely on my shoulders with the help of Jim Monos.

Q: Who was part of that committee two years ago?

A: It was myself, Russ Brandon, Kim and Terry Pegula.