Bills Hire Sean McDermott as New Head Coach

Yeah, I think that the young talent developing is enough for them to gear up for a run. They are probably a little closer than they thought but if they are still 3 years away they may consider it. Denver or Houston would be more likely though. To be clear, I don't think it's likely (less than 10% & maybe less than 5%) but not impossible. I thought that it was impossible 2 years ago.

I actually think Gilmore ends up here.

I agree on Gilmore. They have 31m in cap space and the biggest free agent is nick fairley?

Add a good corner to pair with breaux, and a dynamic linebacker along with a good special teams coach and youre most of the way to being a solid playoff team in 1 year not 3.

You could do that with foster at 11, and Gilmore and still have $20m in cap space to add a mid tier pass rusher, maybe some o line help etc...

He's a bore who will punt his way to being fired within two years.

He's been with riverboat Ron - maybe he learned something from that?

I agree on Gilmore. They have 31m in cap space and the biggest free agent is nick fairley?

Add a good corner to pair with breaux, and a dynamic linebacker along with a good special teams coach and youre most of the way to being a solid playoff team in 1 year not 3.

You could do that with foster at 11, and Gilmore and still have $20m in cap space to add a mid tier pass rusher, maybe some o line help etc...

No doubt that they can be a playoff team. They could have been this year. Do they have enough to contend for a title in the next couple of years? Maybe, but the pass rush will HAVE to improve. If they aren't title contenders for 2-3 years, you are looking at a 40 year-old Brees (that's why it doesn't make sense in Buffalo either).

The defense appears to be taking steps but they were still 31st in points allowed. They have a ways to go. Maybe those couple of steps can get them to the middle of the league? If so, they will be tough. I see the Saints as a 10-6 type team if things go right next year. Also, I think that Derek Barnett ends up their pick at 11 (although I wouldn't rule out Foster).

Edited by Kirby Jackson

No doubt that they can be a playoff team. They could have been this year. Do they have enough to contend for a title in the next couple of years? Maybe, but the pass rush will HAVE to improve. If they aren't title contenders for 2-3 years, you are looking at a 40 year-old Brees (that's why it doesn't make sense in Buffalo either).

The defense appears to be taking steps but they were still 31st in points allowed. They have a ways to go. Maybe those couple of steps can get them to the middle of the league? If so, they will be tough. I see the Saints as a 10-6 type team if things go right next year. Also, I think that Derek Barnett ends up their pick at 11 (although I wouldn't rule out Foster).

Sounds like we aren't far off from each other's opinion if we are even off at all. At that point such a big part is health as to whether a contender. Otherwise a middle of the pack defense and elite offense with franchise qb puts you as a contender and not just a team that backed into the playoffs

McDermott seems to have a pretty solid reputation.

However, is everyone overlooking the fact that his defense went down the drain when Norman left? I need someone to explain why this isn't a red flag.

I hate to be a Debbie Downer but McDermott doesn't do much for me. I hope that I'm wrong. I do like the McCoy hire though.

This is where I am at. I'm not a big fan of this. Not a big fan of moving on from TT if that is true. McCoy has a good track record but not a guy I'm excited about. I'm usually optimistic but this is very uninspiring to me. I will back them and root for them.

This is where I am at. I'm not a big fan of this. Not a big fan of moving on from TT if that is true. McCoy has a good track record but not a guy I'm excited about. I'm usually optimistic but this is very uninspiring to me. I will back them and root for them.

Can someone take a stab at selling KTD and I on this? Why should we be excited? What are we missing?

It's not so much an age thing. Brees doesn't have a strong arm and has not been a good QB outside of domes the last couple years

Brees is old. But the guy just threw for 5,000 yards for the fifth time. Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Matt Stafford and Dan Marino have each done it once. Kelly, Montana, Elway, Favre, etc NEVER threw for 5,000 yards.

Brees, as of this year, is still good.

What would have been inspiring? All the available candidates out there had warts.

Just remember, it could be worse. We could be Jacksonville.

Can someone take a stab at selling KTD and I on this? Why should we be excited? What are we missing?

Smart football that matches our strengths, at least on defense. I don't need flashy. Marrone wasn't flashy but he ran a tight ship and mostly put players in a position to succeed. This team has talent. We don't need great coaches who are incredible, just competent people to demand success and run a team that doesn't make mistakes.

Smart football that matches our strengths, at least on defense. I don't need flashy. Marrone wasn't flashy but he ran a tight ship and mostly put players in a position to succeed. This team has talent. We don't need great coaches who are incredible, just competent people to demand success and run a team that doesn't make mistakes.

That's fair