Bills Hire Sean McDermott as New Head Coach

That's fair

Also, winning culture. McDermott was coaching in the Superbowl a year ago. He has instant credibility. We haven't hired an NFL coach with success within the last year since Roman and he worked out pretty good. This defense needs a coach with credibility to buy in.

• Like (+1) 1

The Bills have already done the headline splash and unfortunately it didn't work in their favor. I think this quote from Rivera sums things up well. "Sometimes when you hire people, you need to look at not whether or not they’re the hot guy, but what they’ve done consistently over a period of time."

McDermott has fielded a top 10 defense four years running:

2015: The Panthers ranked sixth in total defense, fourth against the run, sixth in points allowed, sixth in sacks and first in interceptions.

2014: The Panthers were 10th in total defense in a season that began with star defensive end Greg Hardy playing only one game and going on the commissioner’s exempt list while dealing with a domestic violence issue. McDermott also had to replace to big pieces of his secondary -- safety Mike Mitchell and cornerback Captain Munnerlyn.

2013: The Panthers finished second in total defense, second against the run, second in points allowed, first in sacks and fifth in interceptions. By far McDermott's best defense.

2012: The Panthers finished 10th in total defense and ninth in sacks despite a 7-9 record.

I don't mind McCoy as OC but everything depends on a QB. If they go away from TT and don't get a Brees or Rivers, this offense is likely to suck. The running game will suffer and we will waste the two years Shady has left. If somehow they pull a rabbit out of their hat and get a QB I will be in favor. But right now I think we will be under .500 and waste a lot of talent.

Also, winning culture. McDermott was coaching in the Superbowl a year ago. He has instant credibility. We haven't hired an NFL coach with success within the last year since Roman and he worked out pretty good. This defense needs a coach with credibility to buy in.

Winning culture myass. The Panthers are a rollercoaster organization that gets by that way mainly because they play in a regularly sh*tty division. The Panthers took this year off.......that's not winning culture.

Winning culture myass. The Panthers are a rollercoaster organization that gets by that way mainly because they play in a regularly sh*tty division. The Panthers took this year off.......that's not winning culture.

Fair enough, but it still gives him credibility with the D.

I doubt Hughes and co will think that.

Edited by FireChan

McDermott seems to have a pretty solid reputation.

However, is everyone overlooking the fact that his defense went down the drain when Norman left? I need someone to explain why this isn't a red flag.

I watched every Panthers game this year...They struggled at times...At times they were great...Playing the rookies in the secondary cost them no question...But the D-line did not help, especially early on in the season when they were counting on them to get pressure...They used their 1st Rd pick on Butler to add to that D-line that is already stacked with talent, and it really got off to a slow start...

But overall that Panthers D has been great under McDermott...It's hard to blame him for what happened last year in total...No Norman, tons of three and outs on Offense because the Offensive line was just brutal, and Kuechly missed 6 plus games...They were in a tough spot at #30 with no top CB's left so they went with their BPA...In hindsight they should have listened to me and taken Chris Jones if they were going to go D-Line...He's more versatile than Butler and much more disruptive when he wants to be...I guess because they already have Star they did not want Jones...But Jones is SO much more than just a 0 or 1...Oh well... B-)

Leroi is selling this in the shout box right now...

Said we are in Charlotte right now negotiating with him to be the HC and McCoy is OC. Whaley led the search, Monos sold it and everyone is in agreement...

Also said we interviewed for 9 hours in MYC with McDermott and decision to move on from TT was made weeks ago. last he heard was Brees for a replacement, but that was months ago...

BREES? WTF?

Fair enough, but it still gives him credibility with the D.

I doubt Hughes and co will think that.

No, he was a SB loser and DC for an up and down franchise carried by the league's most dominant offensive player........CAAAAAMMMM.

The minute things go wrong they will be able to look at those results.

Or the fact that he didn't think he needed Josh Norman...........and found out HE DID.

Those are more accurate takes that the players will have on McDermott.

Players respect winners and don't trust player haters.

McDermott will be just another McDude with everything to prove to those guys.

No, he was a SB loser and DC for an up and down franchise carried by the league's most dominant offensive player........CAAAAAMMMM.

The minute things go wrong they will be able to look at those results.

Or the fact that he didn't think he needed Josh Norman...........and found out HE DID.

Those are more accurate takes that the players will have on McDermott.

Players respect winners and don't trust player haters.

McDermott will be just another McDude with everything to prove to those guys.

There's just no way that Rex and McDermott are going to be received the same way in the locker room. A Schlub like Dareus saw the Panthers on tv last year on the super bowl. He didn't blow out McDermott by 40. That's a huge difference.

I don't mind McCoy as OC but everything depends on a QB. If they go away from TT and don't get a Brees or Rivers, this offense is likely to suck. The running game will suffer and we will waste the two years Shady has left. If somehow they pull a rabbit out of their hat and get a QB I will be in favor. But right now I think we will be under .500 and waste a lot of talent.

But they've only shown to have .500 or under talent. Okay, Marrone got them to 9-7 because the Pats pulled Brady at halftime in week 17.

But they've only shown to have .500 or under talent. Okay, Marrone got them to 9-7 because the Pats pulled Brady at halftime in week 17.

It's actually pretty difficult to win more than 8 or 9 games without a great QB. Having consistently gotten to about .500 without one is a fairly persuasive indicator that we do have a talented roster, otherwise.

It's actually pretty difficult to win more than 8 or 9 games without a great QB. Having consistently gotten to about .500 without one is a fairly persuasive indicator that we do have a talented roster, otherwise.

That is true we have talent, the problem is the talent is all very the place and these coaches can't seem to get them to mesh together. Maybe the next coach can.

That's a fair point. But not a good argument against making a change at QB, if anything it just solidifies the need.

If McDermott is hired, it will be the most awkward, boring HC opening press conference in history with McDermott, Pegula, and Whaley.

why? Not a flashy rex hire so its wrong. Who cares about the press conference, i'd be happier knowing its not some gimmicky hire to sell tickets