Bill O'Brien for Head Coach?

Virgil

Bill O'Brien is reported as having riffs with the management in Houston and could be fired with an early playoff loss. I personally think he has overachieved with very suspect qb play. I would take him over any of the other HC candidates right now.

Guarantee Doug doesn't bring him in.

I honestly never understood why he would leave a gig like Penn State. I am not a Penn State fan, but people there treated his family and him so well (especially given his one son's health issues) and considered him a hero for taking the job.

He may live to regret leaving such a great job.

this may be very true

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) Don't think he's a good HC......not overachieved......just in a bad division.

2) He's proven to come apart at the seams when he plays Belichick.

3) That buckeye on his chin looks like it's always about to drop a deuce.

How would you feel about a management team that apparently forced a complete stiff - Osweiler - down your throat and seems to be demanding that he play? Edited by dave mcbride

If that's true, I think he is a jerk.

I really think Marrone is a bad human.

Not a big fan of personally attacking people I don't know, but, feel I have heard enough to feel this way.

Sorry for not being sorry.

We all have friends that are horrible people, cut the guy some slack and measure him on his skill on Sundays!

We all have friends that are horrible people, cut the guy some slack and measure him on his skill on Sundays!

Not just friends....best man at each other's wedding.

Pegula and obrien have a relationship too....could be interesting, and I wouldn't bet against obrien pulling a power play against Whaley if he has the leverage.

I don't know if it was his idea to get osweiler but it was refreshing to see him bench osweiler and not let the cloud of the big contract inhibit his decision. takes a lot of guts.

All you need to see is how good Hackenberg and McGloin looked when he was HC, and how poor they have done before/since.

I've been very critical of OBrien on these boards for the way he left penn state. I thought he was dishonest and disengenuous. I still think he could have handled his exit much much better, but as time has gone on, I appreciate more and more what he did there to keep penn state relavent, and I'd welcome him in Buffalo...but expect some Marrone type behavior if he does. He is definitely not above playing game with Athletic Directors, GMs and Owners that will rub a lot of people the wrong way.

Doug Whaley is not going to hire yet another failed Bill Belichick protege who's never shown the ability to develop an NFL QB.

IMO, it's going to be Todd Haley. Whaley's a Pittsburgh guy, he got his Rothlesbuger QB in Cardale Jones last year, he has his Antonio Brown in Sammy Watkins, and his Bell in McCoy. Oh yeah, Haley is a Pittsburgh guy too! If there is no hire coming soon, then it looks like Whaley's head coach of choice is still working.

I don't know how I feel about O'Brien. On the one hand, I trust that he knows how to run a full program. On the other hand, he reminds me a lot of Marrone - conservative approach, never really pushes the envelope. Sometimes he's aggressive on fourth downs and other times he's maddeningly Marrone-like, punting from a short field, down a TD with a few minutes to go. I don't know... like Marrone, his team is usually competitive but never dominant.

Edited by Coach Tuesday

Remember how everyone discounts our win over the crippled Patriots with Brisett at QB? Well that team stomped O'Brian's Texans 27-0 the week before.

Remember how they made the playoffs two years in a row and have never had a losing season under BOB? Remember how they lost the reigning DPOY and STILL posted the #1 defense in yards allowed?

But they lost to the Pats with the Brocketship at QB! Does that disqualify them?

Edited by FireChan

Remember how they made the playoffs two years in a row and have never had a losing season under BOB? Remember how they lost the reigning DPOY and STILL posted the #1 defense in yards allowed?

But they lost to the Pats with the Brocketship at QB! Does that disqualify them?

Seriously, has Houston ever had to play a hard schedule?

The Bills would have made the playoffs several times if they played in the AFC South.

Remember how everyone discounts our win over the crippled Patriots with Brisett at QB? Well that team stomped O'Brian's Texans 27-0 the week before.

Brissett was injured in the Texans game when they were up by 20+ points. He played against Buffalo with essentially four fingers on his throwing hand and went on IR immediately after (finger/hand surgery; ligament tear). Apples and oranges.

Brissett was injured in the Texans game when they were up by 20+ points. He played against Buffalo with essentially four fingers on his throwing hand and went on IR immediately after (finger/hand surgery; ligament tear). Apples and oranges.

Excuses.

They lost 27-0. Brisett didn't shut them out.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Not really. I watched that game. Brissett didn't really throw the ball down field or any differently in either game. He wasn't a real threat in the Texans game. I was surprised he threw a few accurate passes in the Bills game. And it didn't seem like the defenses played him that much differently. He had a couple easy runs against the Texans. Dont just use stats. Watch the game. He wasn't a passer in either game. I think he had under 100 yards passing against Texans.

Bill O'Brien is reported as having rifts with the management in Houston and could be fired with an early playoff loss. I personally think he has overachieved with very suspect qb play. I would take him over any of the other HC candidates right now.

I agree. He's usually fielding competitive teams, although the AFCS needs to be taken with a grain of salt. I wouldn't mind him.

Doug Whaley is not going to hire yet another failed Bill Belichick protege who's never shown the ability to develop an NFL QB.

IMO, it's going to be Todd Haley. Whaley's a Pittsburgh guy, he got his Rothlesbuger QB in Cardale Jones last year, he has his Antonio Brown in Sammy Watkins, and his Bell in McCoy. Oh yeah, Haley is a Pittsburgh guy too! If there is no hire coming soon, then it looks like Whaley's head coach of choice is still working.

Has Haley even been mentioned or on the list?

Never hire a coach who was just fired.

This is known as the Rex Ryan rule.

In doing so, you hire a coach who has not spent time evaluating what went right, what went wrong. That's important to do.

Here is a list of qb's that have started at least one regular season game under Bill O'Brien

Brock Osweiler

Tom Savage

Brian Hoyer

Ryan Mallet

Case Keenum

Matt Schaub

Just sayin guys....

Who do you think signed off on Osweiler? It's not just the GM.

Doubtful it's the Bills. He can work with Marrone in Jax(!), and let's be honest - Jax has a pretty solid talent foundation. LA and Denver are probably premier destinations. One would think that he and Elway are of like minds re Brock Osweiler, after all.

I agree it seems like a stretch.. you'd think he'd want to go more premier destinations... but I for one would love to bring in somebody like O'Brien.. compared to the situation he walked into at Penn State.. the current mess at 1BD would be a day in the park for him.

Peter King:

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/01/09/nfl-wild-card-weekend-playoffs-steelers-packers-peter-king

"I’m hearing the Bills and Rams were feeling good about the prospects of Buffalo interim coach Anthony Lynn. Organized and a commanding presence, I heard from one club official after his interview. Lynn’s best chance might be if Bill O’Brien stays in Houston and Buffalo ownership gives a shot to a coach universally liked and respected in the building."

Edited by Rico

no, not mentioned for any team

OTOH, don't the Steelers respond to all "permission to interview" requests while they're in the playoffs with "Go Away. We're Busy"?

Jay Glazer reporting the team could decide to part ways with him. Considering what he's done with the talent there, I would absolutely bring him in for an interview.

The only way it makes sense to fire him is if he was the main reason behind the Brock signing, but I don't feel like that can be right.

I think there's a point that one "lesson learned" from the Rex firing is that a fired HC needs time for ...... "lessons learned"

True. More about not wanting to play the guy that the GM paid a lot to get

If the GM wants to play the guy that the GM paid a lot to get, what breed is his seeing eye dog?