Breaking News: Rex Ryan and Rob Ryan Fired

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Were they supposed to issue meaningless a vote of confidence?

@moriartysports

.@alexmarvez on the Bills handling of Rex Ryan's firing (on @TSN1050Radio) http://www.tsn.ca/radio/toronto-1050/marvez-bills-lead-up-to-firing-ryan-a-bad-look-on-organization-1.639110

C0uCLJLXEAEsESP.jpg

No, they should have either fired him or kept thier mouths shut. Not railroad the guy through the media.

Edited by Dazroc

I think both would be better Head Coaches than Rex Ryan and neither is near the top of my personal list.

i am completely underwhelmed.

I would rather that Arsene coach both the Bills and Arsenal.

No, they should have either fired him or kept thier mouths shut. Not railroad the guy through the media.

The whole thing reminded me of the Green Mile ("Dead man walking").

The whole escapade does not reflect well on Whaley, Brandon, or the organization (organeyezation for our neighbors to the north).

i am completely underwhelmed.

I would rather that Arsene coach both the Bills and Arsenal.

I'd rather Stewart Houston coach the Bills than Rex - Rex has never been a good Head Coach. He wasn't in New York and he hasn't been in Buffalo. He is bad, it was a major mistake by the Pegulas in hiring him, at least they didn't let it drag on too long. Edited by GunnerBill

I'd rather Stewart Houston coach the Bills than Rex - Rex has never been a good Head Coach. He wasn't in New York and he hasn't been in Buffalo. He is bad, it was a major mistake by the Pegulas in hiring him, at least they didn't let it drag on too long.

Yeah, he just had the best record since Wade. Firing Wade was not a bright move either.

I remember how people were so up in arms that Wade did not wear headphones on this board . . . .

Yeah, he just had the best record since Wade. Firing Wade was not a bright move either.

I remember how people were so up in arms that Wade did not wear headphones on this board . . . .

He was also the only man in that run to inherit a team with a winning record.

He is the only coach in NFL history to inherit teams with winning records in both of his first two Head Coaching gigs.

61-66.

He is what his record says he is. Not very good.

Wasn't here then. But if that happened, those people are morons.

I remember the halfwits on WGR saying it was a problem that Wade wasn't wearing headphones. Total idiocy.

Edited by PolishDave

I find it alarming that a Sports Illustrated guy like Bedard who gets paid to break down film calls our defensive guys "dumb" and says they "just don't get it"

I think it wasn't that the players on defense didn't know what to do, it is that they didn't want to do it. That was the main problem - they didn't buy into the scheme and therefore the coaching either.

It was obvious Rex completely lost the respect of the defense. They simply stopped playing for him. That's why I think it's incredibe some people thought Rex should be brought back. The situation was untenable - he lost the locker room and there's no way in hell he was going to get that back in 1, 2, or 3 more years. It would have just gotten worse, not better. It just never would have worked to bring him back because the players just had no respect for his scheme or his coaching anymore.

Ideal new staff -- at least without digging too deeply into the pool thus far...

Toub HC (competant manager, respected and overdue for a shot at the big boy chair)

Lynn OC (the offense hasn't been the problem, Lynn deserves a full shot at the position and it would bring some continuity)

Bradley DC (bring back the 4-3 with a great coordinator who has something to prove)

No to Coughlin, no to any NE coordinators, no to Schwartz (except for DC), no to any college coach making their NFL debut.

I just realize Ryan brothers have been fired on my birthday.

weird !

Blow out the candles my friend.

But happy birthday !! :)

Speaking of Wade....

Rex's record the past two years is better than Tom Coughlin's record his last two years and (in case you forgot) Tom Coughlin had Eli Freaking Manning as his QB.

Sometimes Eli was the problem too. He's the most inconsistent QB in NFL history. He goes from elite to pedestrian year to year and game to game.

this.

Interestingly enough, the argument could be made that his entire HC career was defined by never once having a franchise QB.

Oh well...it was colorful Rex. See you on the tube.

Equally, if not more so, his HC career is defined by inheriting good teams and destroying them.

I hope that having Whaley lead the search signals a change in reporting structure. I think the HC should report to the GM. Having them equal and reporting to the owner doesn't work. I am not saying Whaley is the right guy. I am not convinced that he isn't still the bright eyed kid that can't believe he got the keys to the franchise. I would prefer old age and treachery over youth and enthusiasm but who am I to say? I don't like how Whaley tends to get cute at times. At least Buffalo should be should be an attractive destination for a HC based on the talent level if you think we have a QB.

I hope that having Whaley lead the search signals a change in reporting structure. I think the HC should report to the GM. Having them equal and reporting to the owner doesn't work. I am not saying Whaley is the right guy. I am not convinced that he isn't still the bright eyed kid that can't believe he got the keys to the franchise. I would prefer old age and treachery over youth and enthusiasm but who am I to say? I don't like how Whaley tends to get cute at times. At least Buffalo should be should be an attractive destination for a HC based on the talent level if you think we have a QB.

​Whaley leading the search mean, in all likelihood, that it'll be Lynn or someone like Lynn (a first time HC). If we were going after a big dog they would not want to report to Whaley.

The whole escapade does not reflect well on Whaley, Brandon, or the organization (organeyezation for our neighbors to the north).

Or it very well could be that the Pegulas are learning and making course corrections as they go. First time owners of a football franchise was bound to have growing pains. A lot of rights so far - making a football decision to get rid of the Ryan brothers without consideration of money, immediately naming Whaley as leading the HC search (takes Brandon out of that role, allows Whaley to own the team's future and his own).

You and a few others seem incredibly upset about these happenings but these are the right things to do. While we are at it, I am not one of those that think that Whaley is this scheming, back stabbing, self promoting schmuck. He was in the mode of 'give the coach whatever he wants to succeed' which may have been reflected the past 2 drafts. We now will truly see what a Whaley-led team looks like. In 2 years, we will have an answer. After several years, I am preaching patience.

After what happened to the Bills' D in the last two seasons, why would any team be after Rex as DC?

I was merely being kind. If I were to go out on a limb, I would say he will be a DL coordinator and nothing more.

I wouldn't be shocked if he took control of defense only and didn't have play calling split 9 ways and he ended up looking better

I dont think the results of his underwhelming D were caused by him being pulled different ways.

Edited by Fan in Chicago

I was merely being kind. If I were to go out on a limb, I would say he will be a DL coordinator and nothing more.

I dont think the results of his underwhelming D were caused by him being pulled different ways.

I was mostly implying it was in part too many cooks in the kitchen. If you include Rex we had 3 defensive coordinators last year. Hard to establish an identity that way

Mike Lombardi says in that video that the Bills' FO (primarily Whaley) views EJ Manuel as "a Ben Rothlesburger type" - and Mangini starts giggling.

If true... my word.

If that were true they would have exercised his fifth year option. It's just more media silliness.