Breaking News: Rex Ryan and Rob Ryan Fired

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If that's true Doug is an idiot who really need to go. If this happens it shows me there isn't much to look forward to with this team as long as Whaley is around.

pegs spending $15 mil on rex not to mention the other coaches he fired. TT getting injured ties him to the Bills and $30+ mil so he's protecting their interests by doing this. Guess this means TT won't be back either?

if we keep whaley he should have 100% authority in this search

Antiquated organizational structure. Whaley was on the radio last week saying "I'm in charge of the 53, Rex the 46." Now we're hearing that Rex's desire to play Tyrod this week was the last straw. So again, get a president of football operations to oversee both GM and coach because Pegulas have zero clue.

Very troublesome. Yet some wonder why things never change around here. Rex needed to go, but my hopes for the future will be modest until I see more changes made before hiring a new coach. Sadly, I don't see that happening.

It's not troublesome. Say what you will about Whaley ( I'm not a huge fan) but NFL protocol is that the GM hires the HC. Whaley appears safe , so let him do his job as defined by NFL tradition. His a$$ is on the line, it should not involve Russ Brandon at all.

pegs spending $15 mil on rex not to mention the other coaches he fired. TT getting injured ties him to the Bills and $30+ mil so he's protecting their interests by doing this. Guess this means TT won't be back either?

all it means is the next coach will not be forced to keep an injured taylor.

whoever they choose could say that he really wants tyrod this year still.

Do any of us really know that Whaley did not support the hiring of Marrone or Ryan or that they were not his first choice? Seems like there is a lot of information being put out there about the Bills, and much of it seems to be an effort to support a narrative about Whaley not having full say about the hiring of our recent HCs. This is similar to the who drafted EJ and who traded for Hughes arguments. Seems like anything negative about the Bills is attributed to Brandon, the Pegulas and Nix. Anything positive to Whaley. Makes no sense.

It makes sense. If one chooses the certain point of view.

I'd like to know which FO bozo agreed to hand Ryan a 5 year deal instead of a 3 year deal. It's not like he was coming off a couple of spectacular seasons.

Pegula just flushed 15 mil down the train on Rex's last 3 years of his contract.

Again from teh Rex hire thread:

I'm also told Pegulas were HEAVILY involved in this hire. May have sweetened the pot considerably to land Rex for @buffalobills @NFLonFOX

Antiquated organizational structure. Whaley was on the radio last week saying "I'm in charge of the 53, Rex the 46." Now we're hearing that Rex's desire to play Tyrod this week was the last straw. So again, get a president of football operations to oversee both GM and coach because Pegulas have zero clue.

a huge option bonus that would lock a guy into starting qb the 53 for years to come is a bit of a different beast than they will run into with almost any o ther situation. whaley should have an opinion on that, and frankly rex should agree with this stance if he actually cares about the franchise and not himself.

Not necessarily but it's a smart move. Let the GM and HC make the decision, not an injury. HC candidates may have differing opinions and Whaley is keeping his options open including trading for a QB.

Whether Whaley is retained or not, I believe that the coach should report to the gm, not directly to the Owner.

Do any of us really know that Whaley did not support the hiring of Marrone or Ryan or that they were not his first choice? Seems like there is a lot of information being put out there about the Bills, and much of it seems to be an effort to support a narrative about Whaley not having full say about the hiring of our recent HCs. This is similar to the who drafted EJ and who traded for Hughes arguments. Seems like anything negative about the Bills is attributed to Brandon, the Pegulas and Nix. Anything positive to Whaley. Makes no sense.

After Whaley helped build the 2014 defense, do you think he wanted to hire a coach that was going to dismantle it?

It is kind of nuts that Whaley is conducting the HC search. After Marrone and Rex, you would have thought the Pegulas would retain a consultant to help with them the football side of things.

Tells me that there was truth to Whaley not being the person who had authority to hire the coach. At least to this point we have not heard that Russ and the Pegula's will be involved like the last search.

It's not troublesome. Say what you will about Whaley ( I'm not a huge fan) but NFL protocol is that the GM hires the HC. Whaley appears safe , so let him do his job as defined by NFL tradition. His a$$ is on the line, it should not involve Russ Brandon at all.

Agreed last thing I want to hear is that ownership and Russ are in on these meetings. I don't want anyone influencing who the next coach should be. Whaley needs to find someone who shares the same vision for this team knowing full well his job is on the line if things don't turn around.

a huge option bonus that would lock a guy into starting qb the 53 for years to come is a bit of a different beast than they will run into with almost any o ther situation. whaley should have an opinion on that, and frankly rex should agree with this stance if he actually cares about the franchise and not himself.

Well that seemed to be Rex's main issue, right? Concern with himself; his reputation and his defense.

It makes sense. If one chooses the certain point of view.

Since that was reported at the time of those hires and RB had more pull in the organization when Ralph was owner, I'd say it's likely to be correct. Whaley was almost a " junior GM" of sorts. Most GM pick their HC.