Breaking News: Rex Ryan and Rob Ryan Fired

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Presuming this info is accurate - it explains the statement the following day that it is Doug Whaley's direction and ultimately, his decision. A public statement to alleviate all doubt and innuendo, as well as assigning responsibility for better or worse, right from the beginning.

I don't think the Bills did enough homework when they hired Rex.

I live in NY. I've seen Rexs defense over the years. I was concerned the scheme wouldn't be a good fit for the players here. I thought well hopefully Rex will scheme to the players he has here. He never did.

It was stupid to let a defensive coordinator and scheme go that fit so well with the players here.

I recall from reading and posting on this board shortly after the hire, some were euphoric "reborn!" others (like myself) hopeful but worried about the D.

You call it correctly.

I find it interesting that Marrone, who was an offensive guru, had a good defense and a crappy offense and Ryan, who was a defensive guru, had a good offense and crappy defense. Both with similar players. What do you make of this? Strange.

Edited by vincec

I find it interesting that Marrone, who was an offensive guru, had a good defense and a crappy offense and Ryan, who was a defensive guru, had a good offense and crappy defense. Both with similar players. What do you make of this? Strange.

A reason to keep Lynn and get a top shelf DC.

My take on Rex's scheme is he only had one, apparently. Teams would figure it out and Rex & Rob had no counterpunch. You could see it late in the season. Once they have the book on you, everyone uses it. Rex & Rob had no answers.

I doubt that a guy who has been a successful defensive coordinator in the NFL for 15+ years only had one scheme or was incapable of adjusting to offenses. Rex is just the latest scapegoat for what is a much wider problem.

I doubt that a guy who has been a successful defensive coordinator in the NFL for 15+ years only had one scheme or was incapable of adjusting to offenses. Rex is just the latest scapegoat for what is a much wider problem.

You are inventing things. Here's the bottom line. 1) Buffalo scored enough points to win 2) Rex's defense couldn't stop anyone.

You are inventing things. Here's the bottom line. 1) Buffalo scored enough points to win 2) Rex's defense couldn't stop anyone.

So what was different here from his other 13 years in the league? He became stupid when he got off the plane at the Buffalo airport? Players maybe?

The first statement seems sensible enough but it doesn't lead to the second statement. Rex isn't just a scapegoat - he deserves to be fired.

Our goal is to get to the Super Bowl. Rex inherited a 9-7 team and did nothing with it. The team hasn't suffered an utter collapse but it didn't get any closer to the Super Bowl in two years under Rex.

And he turned a #4 ranked defense into a #19 ranked defense. He's not excelling in the one area where we was supposed to excel.

Rex is neither an idiot or a genius. His defenses play about as well as you'd expect given the players who line up for him. When he has good players, he gets good results. When he has poor players on the field (due to a bad roster or injuries), he gets poor results. He's neither a good DC nor a bad one. He's an average one with an average set of strengths and weaknesses.

The Pegulas are looking for more than average.

Edited by hondo in seattle

And he turned a #4 ranked defense into a #19 ranked defense. He's not excelling in the one area where we was supposed to excel.

Rex is neither an idiot or a genius. His defenses play about as well as you'd expect given the players who line up for him. When he has good players, he gets good results. When he has poor players on the field (due to a bad roster or injuries), he gets poor results.

Yet with predominantly the same players we went from 4 to 19. 3/4 of the line was coming off of a Pro Bowl season and the 4th was Jerry Hughes. So I'm not so sure about the good players good defense thing.

So what was different here from his other 13 years in the league? He became stupid when he got off the plane at the Buffalo airport? Players maybe?

His last 3 years in New York his defenses were not that hot as the league went more and more to the hurry up ball out in 2 seconds offense.

He wasn't good before he got on the plane. He's a big personality, and a mistake of a hire.

Bottom line here is Rex Ryan is simply not a very good HC or DC anymore as his defensive scheme is outdated as teams have learned how to defeat it and he only knows that 3-4 scheme.

How many years now have the Steelers run that 3-4 zone blitz? How many years have the Ravens run their 3-4? Both these teams have a bunch of #1 picks at linebacker whereas the Bills had most of their all pro talent on the D-line and Ryan failed to figure out how to get the most out of them. Teams have learned how to adjust to that 3-4 of Ryan's and it doesn't work well at all without some superstars at linebacker.

In NY Ryan inherited an already built 3-4 from Eric Mangini loaded with talent and just brought in a few guys who knew his play calls from past experience and could set the defense. In Buffalo, he inherited a great D-line with only average linebackers. Didn't you see him running a 4-3 at times in his first year and the players were clueless half of the time!

Like I said in other posts, in 2015 it was like Rex didn't want to have a defense that looked like Mike Pettine's 2013 defense in being #2 in the league in sacks, #4 in passing yards allowed while being #28 against the run. So, that first year he ran more of a run stopping 3-4 defense!

This year we saw Pettine's defense again with Dennis Thurman calling the plays in leading the first half of the season in sacks and at the end #7 in passing yards allowed while being 28th against the run. Buffalo is currently #5 in sacks with the #4 sacker! This all look familar?

Can we unpinn this and let it go away after the game. I believe all has been said that can be said. We will need a pinned topic after the game on coach potential and the search.

I really don't think much more can be said that has not already been said in this topic and the half dozen other speculative post on his firing and why.