Breaking News: Rex Ryan and Rob Ryan Fired

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Time for Sully and crew to do what they do best. Torch the living hell out of this team.

And this team deserves every bit of it. Something tells me you haven't been around the past 17 years. And certainly don't remember what GREAT teams(1990-1993) look like.

Most coaches don't take a strength of the team and turn it into a weakness. This was a unique situation and largely the result of the Pegulas inexperience. It wasn't a good fit: the defensive personnel was not suited to Rex Ryan's scheme. At least they admitted their mistake and moved on sooner than later.

I completely agree. The names being mentioned to help fix this are the type of people we need. Rex will get a gig on tv and be excellent in that capacity.

I don't agree with all the Whaley hate. He's brought in a lot of talent, certainly more than Miami has, and they're going to the playoffs. It's been coaching and culture holding back the team.

Whaley had misses. He gave up too much for Watkins when he didn't have a great QB. Cart before the horse. But then it turned out TT could throw a great deep ball and when Watkins wasn't injured TT looked a lot better. He paid too much for Dareus, who's too lazy and selfish to be the guy he ought to be. Clay has been OK but not worth the cost.

Whaley also had real wins. Jerry Hughes for whatshisname. McCoy for Kiko, who's never been as good since his rookie year. Lorax out of nowhere. Incognito. Keeping Cordy Glenn and Wood.

I also think the Pegulas talk to the other owners, and Whaley's reputation from his time with the Steelers is very good. I think the other owners tell the Pegs that Rex was the problem, and Whaley is on the right track.

My issue with Whaley is the insistence of his innocence, the stacked accounting narrative that excuses all responsibility, and the actual results, which have never come close to the glowing sunshine blown about.

I am judged every day by clients and judge people who work for me. I also judge fairly and take into consideration all factors without adopting a pathological obsession to fire someone etc.

so what is not fair by which WE (the fan base) judge him?

Players have called him out. Save for douzable who is insignificant and Goodwin who can only be grateful for not being cut during his wannabe Olympic effort

Other coaches gave their reviews by consistently beating him and adjusting to own him

Opponents chimed in. They literally beat us like a mule

He defeated himself. Had no answers but a smug bit of humor. He knew he was done Nd I believe the reports that he told Lynn he was next

Bottom line, no one gave him a good review. NO ONE

there was no way that rob was staying after rex was canned. those two were a single entity as far as moves are concerned.

Right, but to fire them on the last Tuesday of the season is spiteful and doesn't help the team in any way. It's purely to eff the coach, which does not make this an attractive landing site for the next one.

I am hoping for Schwartz. Bills can only get a retread at this point.

Given the firing today was only done to humiliate Rex, this won't be an attractive job (if it ever was).

That's unlikely. Heck, JAX didn't even wait until the team plane got home lol. No, if they wanted to embarrass Rex fire him on xmas or the day after. The Bills job is only unattractive due to the QB situation. The owner has deep pockets, the Bills have talent and a strong running game. Good fan base. A more clear structure it seems with Whaley to hire the HC as is customary around the league. Not wholly unattractive, there are only 32 of these jobs and not all are open.

there was no way that rob was staying after rex was canned. those two were a single entity as far as moves are concerned.

He could've been told that he was "sick" and not to bother coming in for the rest of the week.

It comes across as petty and personal. Would you want to work in an organization like that?

And this team deserves every bit of it. Something tells me you haven't been around the past 17 years. And certainly don't remember what GREAT teams(1990-1993) look like.

No, I very much look forward to the thrashing of Pegs, Brandon, and Whaley by the media. Can't wait for the upcoming pressers, my only regret is that I can't be there to bounce tomatoes off their fat heads.

so what is not fair by which WE (the fan base) judge him?

Players have called him out. Save for douzable who is insignificant and Goodwin who can only be grateful for not being cut during his wannabe Olympic effort

Other coaches gave their reviews by consistently beating him and adjusting to own him

Opponents chimed in. They literally beat us like a mule

He defeated himself. Had no answers but a smug bit of humor. He knew he was done Nd I believe the reports that he told Lynn he was next

Bottom line, no one gave him a good review. NO ONE

Shady?

Incognito?

Wood?

P.S. "We" really means some.

No, I very much look forward to the thrashing of Pegs, Brandon, and Whaley by the media. Can't wait for the upcoming pressers, my only regret is that I can't be there to bounce tomatoes off their fat heads.

Can we just fast forward 3 years to the Pegula press conference where they are firing Whaley and Lynn? That's going to be a day worth celebrating. Rex needed to go but not at the hands of Whaley and his entire staff should be toast including Lynn. Needed to shake up the organization and find someone the players buy into. I'm afraid with Lynn they already have a comfort level and it will be much of the same.

If the Bills had beaten Miami, would Rex have been fired today? Certainly not.

What if the Bills had lost in OT in a defensive struggle, 13-10?

It shouldn't matter, he's the HC. But if his beloved D had showed some life, I wonder if the Pegulas might have thought differently.

What came out of Pegulas own mouth was that Doug Whaley was the one who conducted the football part of the interview. He was the guy and all those eggs were in his basket. The "football part" would seem to be an important piece of hiring a head football coach to me. People can parse and nuance that anyway they want, obviously.

Also, FWIW, when hiring middle or upper-middle managers, regardless of the business, it is common for the candidate to meet and talk with the management chain-of-command. It's not necessarily a decision made by one person on the team overruling everyone else in the room as some sort of supreme dictator. The word is consensus.

Yes. So while Whaley might have preferred another candidate, it seems unlikely he was vociferously opposed to Rex.

He could've been told that he was "sick" and not to bother coming in for the rest of the week.

It comes across as petty and personal. Would you want to work in an organization like that?

I think it's more likely with all of Rob's bombast that he said if you're firing my brother you're firing me too than they did it to be petty. Do you really think one was going to stay on without the other?