Breaking News: Rex Ryan and Rob Ryan Fired

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My issue with Whaley is the insistence of his innocence, the stacked accounting narrative that excuses all responsibility, and the actual results, which have never come close to the glowing sunshine blown about.

My issue with Whaley is pure speculation. But I think he thinks this is a good roster led by a poor HC.

I think (with injuries and suspensions factored in) that this is an average roster that was led by an average coach.

I'm guessing Whaley overrates his work.

My issue with Whaley is pure speculation. But I think he thinks this is a good roster led by a poor HC.

I think (with injuries and suspensions factored in) that this is an average roster that was led by an average coach.

That's not a guess, that's the truth and Whaley himself has never forgot to mention how talented this team is. A bunch of fans bought into it as well.

My issue with Whaley is the insistence of his innocence, the stacked accounting narrative that excuses all responsibility, and the actual results, which have never come close to the glowing sunshine blown about.

You have to filter out the stuff that's obviously tilted his way as propaganda. His resume as a GM is a mixed bag of hits and misses , with questionable moves in the draft. This hire will be on him, his grace to this point is about a C.

:wallbash: Just let your GM do his job...If not Whaley then someone else...too many levels in FO

I understand what you're saying, and I agree in that there shouldn't be 50 people making this decision, but Whaley still has the stench of Rex on him and while I've been a Whaley supporter / apologist for a couple years now, it's starting to wear on me about some of his decisions; notably the QB and HC. So, if a Czar comes in and helps bring some balanced perspective, I think that's a positive thing. I'm not saying there shouldn't be a well-established hierarchy and understanding if that occurs, just that giving Whaley carte blanche at this point doesn't really appeal to me as much as it may have prior to the Rex hire.

That's not a guess, that's the truth and Whaley himself has never forgot to mention how talented this team is. A bunch of fans bought into it as well.

The Bills are not devoid of talent. This is borne out by their consistently hovering around 8-8 . They need a few players , QB especially to get to the next level. A good HC would help matters too.

Not going to bring in a czar. According to NFL network GM Whaley will lead the coaching search.

I read that as well, and for the reasons I just covered I won't repeat myself so as not to sound redundant. But, I fear without some checks-and-balances this could end up equally miserable and catastrophic.

Agreed. It's the GMs job usually. Stay with NFL protocol

Whether Whaley is retained or not, I believe that the coach should report to the gm, not directly to the Owner.

What is NFL protocol? Bill Belichick runs NE with personnel help. John Schneider reports to Pete Carroll in Seattle. The relationship between GM and HC isn't the same everywhere.

Seems pretty obvious what is going on here. Lynn gets elevated now so that he has the best (and maybe only) opportunity to become HC of the Bills. Whaley does not want a real and open process because he is concerned that the Pegulas will hear HC candidates raising issues about the GM (including what happens if he is dismissed), the organization and the talent. Whaley is trying to make the hiring of Lynn a fait accompli to protect his own position. All of this is supported by the positive articles and mentions that Lynn started getting over the last few weeks in the press. He was built up by some with an agenda to make this go more smoothly.

Yep. Whaley learned from Brandon in protecting your 6 and he's been waging a PR war against RR behind the scenes.

I found it ironic that Lynn garnered attention for LA's HC job after Fisher was fired. Guy's been a position coach for 15 years and now is HC material? Rapoport reported last December Lynn was this great HC candidate before ever coordinating an offense. Well, if that was the case, I'd imagine he'd have been an OC to start a season before 2016.

The Pegula's will need to learn the hard way not to trust Brandon and Whaley.

The Bills are not devoid of talent. This is borne out by their consistently hovering around 8-8 . They need a few players , QB especially to get to the next level. A good HC would help matters too.

Not reworking their roster to fit an inflexible scheme would help, too. It's harder to be critical of Whaley when the plan was to fix the offense and tweak a dominating defense, and yet they were blowing draft picks left and right to bring in players to fit Ryan's scheme. If I'm a GM, I'm not real thrilled with the prospect of doing that yet again when the defense is clearly poorly coached.

John Murphy now repeating that Steve Tasker said (and what I said previously):

What message does firing Rex (whether you like him or not) after less than two years (even though most successful Bills HC in past 17 years) to anyone else you might want to hire that is in demand?!?

Me: Self-defeating.

Edited by Peter

Whaley really hasn't done that bad of a job, but there are still areas where he needs to do better. His low budget free agent pickups have been great, but his batting average draftwise could be better. He also needs to face the fact that the pick of EJ was a miss and move on from him. Granted he's trying to make moves to get the right QB in, but he's been missing so far (like many other teams). The Pegulas should also take a step back and let Whaley pick his own head coach to sink or swim with (hopefully Lynn or a credible coach with a history of winning and assembling a competent staff).

John Murphy now repeating that Steve Tasker said (and what I said previously):

What message does firing Rex (whether you like him or not) after less than two years (even though most successful Bills HC in past 17 years) to anyone else you might want to hire that is in demand?!?

Self-defeating.

That you shouldn't promise a top 5 defense and deliver a historically bad one?

You shouldn't be completely oblivious during the game?

This is such BS. Coaches get fired all the time.

There are only 32 of these jobs available. People will be jumping at this opportunity.

Edited by CountDorkula

I think it's more likely with all of Rob's bombast that he said if you're firing my brother you're firing me too than they did it to be petty. Do you really think one was going to stay on without the other?

Personally, I can see sending them both packing. They are very similar in personality. As you say, they may have even asked to be fired together. Maybe Rob took credit for the 10 men on the field !@#$ up to save Rex. I've no idea.

My point was about appearances as a follow-up to the attractiveness of coaching gigs in Buffalo. The speculation that big-name coaches are going to jump at the chance to come here does depend on appearances and the overall appearance is one of dysfunction and possibly even pettiness.

I understand what you're saying, and I agree in that there shouldn't be 50 people making this decision, but Whaley still has the stench of Rex on him and while I've been a Whaley supporter / apologist for a couple years now, it's starting to wear on me about some of his decisions; notably the QB and HC. So, if a Czar comes in and helps bring some balanced perspective, I think that's a positive thing. I'm not saying there shouldn't be a well-established hierarchy and understanding if that occurs, just that giving Whaley carte blanche at this point doesn't really appeal to me as much as it may have prior to the Rex hire.

That's fair but then I want Whaley fired and a new GM to take over...I hate the term Czar....if Whaley is not the guy bring in a different GM