Breaking News: Rex Ryan and Rob Ryan Fired

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(27 December 2016 - 12:35 PM) I think A-Lynn's chances of remaining HC will depend upon what his thoughts are in regards to the DC going forward.

I think A-Lynn's chance of becoming HC is dependent on the Bills not conducting a coaching search beyond the boundaries of OBD.

Since that was reported at the time of those hires and RB had more pull in the organization when Ralph was owner, I'd say it's likely to be correct. Whaley was almost a " junior GM" of sorts. Most GM pick their HC.

What came out of Pegulas own mouth was that Doug Whaley was the one who conducted the football part of the interview. He was the guy and all those eggs were in his basket. The "football part" would seem to be an important piece of hiring a head football coach to me. People can parse and nuance that anyway they want, obviously.

Also, FWIW, when hiring middle or upper-middle managers, regardless of the business, it is common for the candidate to meet and talk with the management chain-of-command. It's not necessarily a decision made by one person on the team overruling everyone else in the room as some sort of supreme dictator. The word is consensus.

Most coaches do NOT get fired under these circumstances.

Most coaches don't take a strength of the team and turn it into a weakness. This was a unique situation and largely the result of the Pegulas inexperience. It wasn't a good fit: the defensive personnel was not suited to Rex Ryan's scheme. At least they admitted their mistake and moved on sooner than later.

Reasons to start EJ vs the Jets:

-- The Bills haven't decided what to do about TT. If he gets hurt they're on the hook for his salary. The Pegulas aren't afraid to dump cash, but the salary cap is the issue. Personally I think the Bills should keep TT. He's flawed (throws late a lot) but also has unique strengths (running). There are no alternatives available.

-- Cardale is not ready.

-- EJ is an experienced QB. Not very good, but actually better than some starters in the league and definitely better than many backups. The Bills won't retain him but if he shows well this week he'll have some trade value.

-- Lose and get the #9 pick. Win and it could be #19, To get those 10 spots back in all the rounds of the draft, the Bills would have to trade other pics or some valued player. Not worth it. No one cares except the coaches and players if we're 7-9 or 8-8.

Some of those are likely mutually exclusive. If EJ plays well the Bills could win, and still lose those draft slots, but at least we might get value for EJ.

EJ will be an unrestricted FA . Zero trade ability by the Bills. The lower draft spot would benefit them and is part of Whaleys MO

I guess we will judge all future Bills coaches in less than two years and without considering:

1) whether he was the most successful Bills coach in past 17 years;

2) depth of injuries to key players and positions;

3) bottom half QB play for most part;

4) having to play street free agents;

5) suspensions.

Hmmmm

Tissue?

I don't agree with all the Whaley hate. He's brought in a lot of talent, certainly more than Miami has, and they're going to the playoffs. It's been coaching and culture holding back the team.

Whaley had misses. He gave up too much for Watkins when he didn't have a great QB. Cart before the horse. But then it turned out TT could throw a great deep ball and when Watkins wasn't injured TT looked a lot better. He paid too much for Dareus, who's too lazy and selfish to be the guy he ought to be. Clay has been OK but not worth the cost.

Whaley also had real wins. Jerry Hughes for whatshisname. McCoy for Kiko, who's never been as good since his rookie year. Lorax out of nowhere. Incognito. Keeping Cordy Glenn and Wood.

I also think the Pegulas talk to the other owners, and Whaley's reputation from his time with the Steelers is very good. I think the other owners tell the Pegs that Rex was the problem, and Whaley is on the right track.

If it is Lynn, he will have a hard time attracting a quality DC candidate. I wonder if the other current coaches will remain or whether they will be released from their obligations following the final game.

i disagree. we have a lot of talent and to show a big jump from rex's results would be a nice feather in a guys cap. it would not be unreasonable to see a quick return to schwartz caliber rankings.

The "bonus" firing of his brother speaks volumes. Particularly when a general housecleaning could happen in just a few days.

there was no way that rob was staying after rex was canned. those two were a single entity as far as moves are concerned.