PFW: Tom Coughlin the favorite to replace Rex Ryan

FluffHead

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

rex is getting 26.5 mil for 2 years of work...wow. that has to be close to the most all time per year coaching right?

coughlin is an offensive guy. i wonder who he'd bring in for the defense? they run the base 4-3 in ny so i think we'd go back to that thank god.

I have always thought that NFL coaching is to some extent a young man's game. I thought part of Chan Gailey's problem was just lack of stamina to put as much into each week's game plan.

But maybe I'm wrong.

Carroll (65) and Belichick (64) are the two current oldest and it seems to me they work at least as hard as anyone else.

I agree 70 is pushing it, but this team could benefit from Coughlin's approach.

Edited by KD in CA

For once I'd be happy if this move was made. Beat Brady and BB twice in the SB in the last 10 years ('08, '12). Sign me up! Bring in someone like Gus Bradley to run the D (or trade for Schwartz to come back).

5-2 career vs Belichick...Came within a last play of the game FG in 2015 of being 6-1... B-)

For once I'd be happy if this move was made. Beat Brady and BB twice in the SB in the last 10 years ('08, '12). Sign me up! Bring in someone like Gus Bradley to run the D (or trade for Schwartz to come back).

If we're going to poach pieces from Philly, maybe we go after Frank Reich and Chase Daniel?

I don't know if it's doable, but if we are truly moving on from Rex and Tyrod I could get behind a crew of:

HC Tom Coughlin

OC Frank Reich

DC Gus Bradley

QB Chase Daniel

Not to mention RE: Lynn, we and the rest of the league have never actually seen what his offense is. No idea on philosophy (though his background suggests a ground based attack), route combinations, nothing.

He may be a head coach that hires an actual OC instead of being a glorified coordinator on gameday though

FWIW

@hsimon62

John Clayton on @WGR550. Said he's hearing Bills will move on from Rex and Tyrod. If Rex is fired Clayton feels Tom Coughlin will be the guy

Clayton is rarely right

If we're going to poach pieces from Philly, maybe we go after Frank Reich and Chase Daniel?

I don't know if it's doable, but if we are truly moving on from Rex and Tyrod I could get behind a crew of:

HC Tom Coughlin

OC Frank Reich

DC Gus Bradley

QB Chase Daniel

Chase Daniel is better than Taylor?....and why Reich......What kind of offense does he run and has he had any success in the NFL as an OC?

Edited by nucci

Only if he brings Eli with him...

F Eli. he sucks. he has always sucked.

and do not give me stats.

We worry about Taylor not winning games?

Well Eli loses games.

and the coughlin thing?

He and Terry could talk shop and Pugules could pay him for that perspective ( i think there is honest value there ! )

but no to officially bringing him in . Unless a clean sweeping is happening. He would be sweet for building a foundation

IMO

Edited by 3rdand12

HC Tom Coughlin

OC Frank Reich

DC Gus Bradley

QB Chase Daniel

Is Gus Bradley bringing Pete Carroll with him because that is the only reason he was a good DC and got a HC job?

Reich is intriguing but I doubt eagles let him take a lateral move to come here.

His track record speaks for itself. My only concern with ANY new coach is that it's been shown to take 3 years to get the personnel to run the kind of team the new coach(es) want to run. That would make 2 decades and running of no payoffs..

that is exactly what will happen. be careful what you wish for TBDers. new staff , new schemes, no practice time = 3 more years of suck. then it starts all over again after you all want Coughlin's head ; I can see it now: " the games passed him by.. etc etc etc.."

Edited by 8and8-->NoMore

Please no, hire someone that can be the coach for a long time.

Yes b.c he will die in a few days... What a dumb thing to say.

7-9

6-10

6-10

records in his final years with Eli Manning, a much better QB than Tyrod.

How are people signing up for this?!

If you were smart you wouldn't look at one thing...

Yes b.c he will die in a few days... What a dumb thing to say.

If you were smart you wouldn't look at one thing...

Go on. If your point is that he won two Superbowls with a great QB and elite defense I agree that he has shown he can do that.

I do find it funny that the fire Rex crowd constantly brings up the final years with the Jets but now want Coughlin who had a terrible record with a much better QB than Rex ever had.

7-9

6-10

6-10

records in his final years with Eli Manning, a much better QB than Tyrod.

How are people signing up for this?!

The only argument, I can see, for the move is as a juxtaposition with the current coach. Sometimes players respond to a change from a "players" coach to a disciplinarian, or vice versa. Or at least that's the common thought.

Count me as one that would be very concerned with his age.

1. Chase Daniel is better than Taylor?....2. and why Reich......What kind of offense does he run and has he had any success in the NFL as an OC?

1. No. I pretty clearly stated that this was if we were definitely moving on from Rex and Tyrod. For the record, I don't think anything available is better than Tyrod. The reason I suggest both is that Chase has been in Reich's system for the past year so he could come in with a bit of an understanding of the playbook.

2. He has ties to the area like Coughlin, he's the OC in Philly, where he's accomplishing reasonable production from a rookie QB who go thrown into the fire. I also believe that he is a good person to have around for QB development due to his history at the position.

The only argument, I can see, for the move is as a juxtaposition with the current coach. Sometimes players respond to a change from a "players" coach to a disciplinarian, or vice versa. Or at least that's the common thought.

Count me as one that would be very concerned with his age.

Oh, I can see the discipline thing. I think that approach can work as shown by Belichick, Parcells, and Coughlin.

I just worry that modern players don't always respond well to that and the hard edge can backfire. Age is a concern as well.

I am frustrated because I wish our owners were more focused on finding a QB than changing coaches every 2 years.

Carroll (65) and Belichick (64) are the two current oldest and it seems to me they work at least as hard as anyone else.

I agree 70 is pushing it, but this team could benefit from Coughlin's approach.

ever hear of a guy named Joe Pa from Penn St?

Yea, age doesn't matter.

Coughlin had 3 underwhelming years before being let go. His replacement has them in the playoffs. If you want to replace Rex, don't go with a relic. Heck, why not trot out Chower or Grunden as candidates. (sarcasm alert) The Bills need to go young in the coaching search. No more retreads.

Edited by Nitro

i would be so pissed if this happens. he's too old, i am sorry, he will be retired in a few years and we are back at square one. I want one more year for Rex to prove himself(I think 2 years is ridiculously short), if after year 3 we are no better off(which I honestly think we are right now) then we cut bait. But HELL NO to an old re-tread.

Poojer is 100% spot on.

read the article. He's the antirex

I don't like that approach. We don't want a guy who's unlike our current coach. We don't want to a offensive or defensive minded coach. We don't want a coach with prior Buffalo connections. We don't want a coach with a blue-collar sensibility who can understand Buffalonians.

We want a coach who will win.

It's the only thing that matters and Coughlin didn't do enough of it.

So, yeah, I read the article and still don't get the logic of hiring Coughlin.

Seems if you want long-term continuity this is not the way to go. I like Coughlin, but I would expect him to coach for only a few years. If you had a team that was really close to being a Super Bowl contender, maybe this would make sense, but that is not the case with this team. We still have holes and need some rebuilding, particularly with all of the free agents that we have this offseason.