Watch Rex really close. I think he has been already told.

Iraq Vet

Until the Pegulas clean house in the front office and get rid of all the rotten apples, the HC decision is nothing more than window dressing.

This. Although Rexxy has many flaws and can easily accommodate the blame for the last 2 seasons...

But we have seen this movie many, many times. We are treating the symptoms, not going for the cure.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think a 9-7 record with Tyrod at qb and a midseason OC change is a reasonable job.

Hard to think that if we had Lynn all along we wouldn't have won that Baltimore game, which as it turns out would probably put us in the playoffs if we win out, as we'd have the tiebreaker on them and Miami.

I hope Rex stays, and I think the players do too.

Golic is 100% correct.

Not only is not the right thing to fire Rex (as it relates to Rex), it makes the organization and ownership look really, really bad.

As I have stated elsewhere, I seriously doubt that any good HC candidate who is in demand would look at the Bills HC job favorably if the Bills gave the current guy just two years especially given the depth of injuries, suspensions, and inadequate QB play.

This would be self-defeating.

Absolutely. There is no way the Bills won't make headlines in a bad way if we fire Rex after a winning season. And you are correct, no coaching candidate that is in demand would take a job where the ownership is seen as fidgety.

I am in the camp that Rex has underperformed but I don't see how we can get better by firing him now. Another year of this and I'm ready for a house cleaning - rebuild.

He needs to have his hand slapped for hiring his twin. He promised that Rob is a great coach and the defense would improve. That dude must go.

Either get a new DC, or just let Thurmond take over. Rex can oversee the universe if he wants, but when he gets his hands on the defense, it fails.

The defensive failure is the reason they lost to Miami and Oakland. Play halfway decent defense in either game, we are 9-5 RIGHT NOW. We've scored a bunch of points with a mediocre QB and no receivers for at least half the season.

Keep Rex. Get rid of Rob.

I've been a Whaley apologist for at least a year pointing to some of his finds in Jerry Hughes, John Miller, Preston Brown and Zack Brown. However, the single most important position - QB - he has failed to address in a significant way. IMHO, EJ was Nix's pick, I've had that opinion since he was Drafted and have said this often on this board. However, Tyrod is definitely Whaley's pick - be it by acquiescence or by active participation - and the lack of secondary / Safety depth is also his....add in the overvalue of Watkins in Draft currency, and I think I've finally come to the side that says, unless there is a total demolition from top to bottom, I don't think there is any appreciable movement toward a championship in the next 2-4 years.

I've been a Whaley apologist for at least a year pointing to some of his finds in Jerry Hughes, John Miller, Preston Brown and Zack Brown. However, the single most important position - QB - he has failed to address in a significant way. IMHO, EJ was Nix's pick, I've had that opinion since he was Drafted and have said this often on this board. However, Tyrod is definitely Whaley's pick - be it by acquiescence or by active participation - and the lack of secondary / Safety depth is also his....add in the overvalue of Watkins in Draft currency, and I think I've finally come to the side that says, unless there is a total demolition from top to bottom, I don't think there is any appreciable movement toward a championship in the next 2-4 years.

Hughes was Nix.

Actually, i think that EJ was Whaley's pick (he's the guy who scouted the qbs that year) and that TT was Rex's pick.

EJ was the top QB on the Bills board. Whaley set that up. But the decision to go QB was totally Buddy Nix. Nix basically said he was drafting a QB BEFORE the draft and the Bills made a great show of showing interest in every top QB prospect.

So I can't see how you hang this on Whaley as Nix decided he needed to have a QB in his last draft.

EJ was the top QB on the Bills board. Whaley set that up. But the decision to go QB was totally Buddy Nix. Nix basically said he was drafting a QB BEFORE the draft and the Bills made a great show of showing interest in every top QB prospect.

So I can't see how you hang this on Whaley as Nix decided he needed to have a QB in his last draft.

Nix always said exactly what he wanted. I believe the year we drafted Spiller his official comment pre-draft was 'We want a pass-catching scatback' or something to that effect.

I saw a cloud that was abstract shaped so I think it means that Rex will get an extension.

I didn't want Rex, but if they fire him this year then Whaley has to go too because it means that's two coaches in a row that lasted 2 years. It also means it's time for a modern, high profile guy to come in either as GM or to run the search for a GM.

I think you hit it on head with Brandon taken away from all football/personnel decisions. Let him do what he does well: market the team. Don't let him do what he does poorly: football!

The problem that I have with this is that we wouldnt know that Brandon would really be removed from the football decisions. It would be marketed that way to the fans, but his influence would still be there.

Its like the person who prints the money telling you what its worth.

My gut tells me that if the Bills end up 9-7, the Pegulas are not going to fire a coach with a winning record. Not saying that's the right course; I just don't see a firing happening if that's how it turns out.

yep. if they win out, can't really fire him IMO. to me this is as much on the players as the direction.. too easy to just toss the coaches... TV $$ runs this league.. not to worry about bitter fans... box office $$ not that important, and fans are showing up whether Rex stays or not

Edited by 8and8-->NoMore

This is my baseless opinion..

-Rex and Whaley will both be back in 2017 with assurances for their remaining contract terms

-Tyrod renegotiates his contract -- still collects about $15 million next year but its essentially another tryout year

-Brandon's role is strictly redefined to marketing, sales, branding for the sports and media properties of the Pegula empire

-Mark Murphy comes back to WNY to oversee the operations - on the field/ice products of the Bills and Sabres--both coaching and football/hockey personnel report to him. His decision to chart the future of the on field product for both franchises. Title is President of Bills and Sabres. Enticement is Hockey team.

- Gilmore is a priority; A. Williams retires.

:w00t: Unreal that someone could believe that will ever happen.

I don't think you have a lot of ground to stand on about folks being "in full force," when you've posted the same tired Rex defense at least 10 different times in the last couple days.

The difference is that I have not started one thread on this issue when it has seemed that multiple threads (sometime multiple threads per day) have been started by the haters dating back several months.

My defense of Rex may be "tired" but it is no less accurate - especially in response to the same "tired" criticisms.

Golic is 100% correct.

Not only is not the right thing to fire Rex (as it relates to Rex), it makes the organization and ownership look really, really bad.

As I have stated elsewhere, I seriously doubt that any good HC candidate who is in demand would look at the Bills HC job favorably if the Bills gave the current guy just two years especially given the depth of injuries, suspensions, and inadequate QB play.

This would be self-defeating.

This.

My gut tells me that if the Bills end up 9-7, the Pegulas are not going to fire a coach with a winning record. Not saying that's the right course; I just don't see a firing happening if that's how it turns out.

That's my gut feeling too :cry: I hope I'm wrong though.

Who are these "rotten apples"?

The ones who have persistently leaked rumors of "rifts" within the organization to local and national media since Ralph stopped running things. I think they're leftovers from the Wilson era who don't want to get with the program but they're "lifers" and the Pegulas didn't want to shake things up too much.

It all has to be thoroughly sterilized.

if I had to choose between Rex getting fired this year with Whaley staying vs. a complete draining of the swamp after the 2017 season, I would hold my nose & support keeping Rex another year.

Agreed -- the only way my opinion changes is if it's true that Whaley hasn't had much influence on picking the last two coaches (i.e., they were Brandon-influenced decisions). I think the GM should pick the coach.

It would be a JOKE to fire a coach who just went 9-7 in year two with all of the injuries/suspensions when your team hasn't been to the playoffs in a generation.

1st round pick missed half a season.

2nd round pick missed all season.

#99 missed half the season due to injury/suspension.

Sammy has been hurt all year.

WR group overall decimated by injury and not great to start with.

The safety position is awful due to injury to A. Williams.

With all of that, IF Rex can lead the team to 9-7 I think it's a decent job and he deserves to stay. Firing him at that point would be correctly viewed as a sign of complete dysfunction in the front office.

So I see it as unlikely that a decision has already been reached about firing him, because if it had then things are so bad that they are potentially going to fire a 9-7 coach in his second year. Actually potentially 10-6, since these stories came out right before the Pittsburgh game, when 10-6 could have still happened.

To me, these rumors point more toward someone at OBD having an agenda and working to undermine the coach, whether it is Marrone or now Rex.

I hated Marrone for quitting. However, if you had a huge buyout and felt like important people in your company were working to undermine you and force you out, many of you would probably do the same thing he did: quit, make the SOBs pay you, and go find other work. I would. Integrity and loyalty are a two way street.

I think he knows he is done (without being told). The ONLY thing that could possibly keep him here is if the Bills squeak into the Playoffs. It would then be nearly impossible to fire him.

Agreed

I wouldn't consider victories over Dolphins at home in December without Tanny or the lowely Jets as long shots. 9-7 finish and being alive for a playoff birth heading into final week whether they make it in or not with all the injuries,etc as much as I don't want to say it but it would be tough to get fire Rex based on performance.

Although cuz I'm sick of his mouth and empty promises of being ranked first in defense yadayadayada I want to see him gone.

It would be really stupid to tell the HC that he will be fired at the end of the season and expect him to keep coaching.

That's just completely ridiculous!!

I don't believe that Rex will be fired unless the team completely embarrasses itself in these last two games.

The Bills will beat NYJ. If they can beat Miami Rex will be the HC of the Buffalo Bills in 2017, whether the team makes the playoffs or not.

Why is keeping a 9-7 coach such a bad idea?

I see two exciting scenarios:

In both:

Keep Rex. Keep Lynn as OC with a nice pay raise.

Ragland arrives healthy and ready to crush people.

Scenario #1

Sign Romo

Draft WR and OL in rounds 1 and 2

Draft a QB late in the draft

Sign a FA QB as your backup/#3 depending on Cardelle

You do that and this team will win a LOT of games, assuming Romo stays healthy. Granted, huge assumption. But the dude puts up yards and points.

Scenario #2

Re-work Tyrod's deal to keep him

Draft S and WR in rounds 1 and 2

Draft a QB in mid rounds of draft

Sign a FA QB to compete/be the #3 if needed

Absolutely. There is no way the Bills won't make headlines in a bad way if we fire Rex after a winning season. And you are correct, no coaching candidate that is in demand would take a job where the ownership is seen as fidgety.

I am in the camp that Rex has underperformed but I don't see how we can get better by firing him now. Another year of this and I'm ready for a house cleaning - rebuild.

This is fallacy. There are only 32 of these jobs- rarely vacant, at the pinnacle of the profession, the bills have a decent roster and ownership stability, with a proud fan base.

Based on how the jets described Rex at dismissal and all the OCs that have kicked his teeth in, you don't think there are potential coaching candidates that feel they know Rex earned his short leash with ineptitude and think they know they can do better.

What kind of mental pansies do you guys think successfully run football teams??

Let's look at who the Bills have been this season:

Cardinals

Injured Jacoby Brissett-led Patriots

Rams

49ers

Jaguars

Bengals

Browns

The Bills are what they are are, a mediocre team who is barely alive in the playoff race and has shown it cannot beat good teams or teams are at a similar level( Pats w/ Brady, Dolphins, Ravens, Steelers, Raiders, Seahawks). Keep Rex is essentially admitting we are find being a 8-8 or 9-7 as long as beat bad teams and hopefully get lucky beating an elite team someday. There is no positive way to spin bringing back the Rex and Tyrod combo back another season, it just gonna to lead to more mediocrity and bloviating from Rex.

The difference is that I have not started one thread on this issue when it has seemed that multiple threads (sometime multiple threads per day) have been started by the haters dating back several months.

My defense of Rex may be "tired" but it is no less accurate - especially in response to the same "tired" criticisms.

Oh, so it's not being "out in full force" as long as you don't make threads? But posting the same thing over and over and over and over doesn't count. Sure.

Let's look at who the Bills have been *BEATEN this season:

Cardinals

Injured Jacoby Brissett-led Patriots

Rams

49ers

Jaguars

Bengals

Browns

The Bills are what they are are, a mediocre team who is barely alive in the playoff race and has shown it cannot beat good teams or teams are at a similar level( Pats w/ Brady, Dolphins, Ravens, Steelers, Raiders, Seahawks). Keep Rex is essentially admitting we are find being a 8-8 or 9-7 as long as beat bad teams and hopefully get lucky beating an elite team someday. There is no positive way to spin bringing back the Rex and Tyrod combo back another season, it just gonna to lead to more mediocrity and bloviating from Rex.

The reality is that if the Bills had played a Tom Brady at QB team the Bills would now be 6-8.

The saddest part of this year has been the defense that so many Bills fans said would get better with another year of learning Ryan's scheme. With more defensive coaches on the Bills payroll. Only got worse. The defense was #10 after playing bad teams and then played the Raiders, Steelers and went to 17th, 18th now* 28th against the run.

To be honest this year's defense has been an embarrassment in that first game against the Jets, Dolphins, and Steelers. The Steelers in particular in allowing 236 yards of rushing set a franchise worst record for Buffalo and a franchise best record for Pittsburgh.

Edited by Nihilarian

Nailed it. Anything short of a full on cleaning is just prolonging the misery. OBD needs to be cleaned, a simple squirt of cologne is what I expect though and on we go.

A full cleaning will push the misery out further. If Rex is axed let Whaley get a guy to fit the system players he has gone out to get

if I had to choose between Rex getting fired this year with Whaley staying vs. a complete draining of the swamp after the 2017 season, I would hold my nose & support keeping Rex another year.

This is where I am at too...

Agreed. Although nothing will surprise me either way.

Keep Rex, ALynn and of course Whaley.

Tell Rex to fire Thurman and Rob, hire a Defensive Coordinator who you've had past success with (Pettine).

Give them all 3 more years.

Pick up the option on Tyrod.

Draft a #2 receiver or Kyle's replacement (DT) in the first.

Hire new training staff.

Playoffs 2017!!

Imo