Tyrod Development. Extend HIm

wettlaufer

Not sure what game people were watching, but Tyrod was throwing darts over the middle of the field, hitting WR and TE. Putting a spy on him to keep him in the pocket forces the issue and also keeps LBers wide. That opens up the middle. A good complete game for our QB in those conditions.

The fact people want to run him out of town after, what, 28 starts, is crazy. QBs don't develop overnight. This is like the people who sold Amazon in 2001 because it was immature and wasn't producing earnings. You have to take a longer view in investing and in the development of QBs. Some develop early, some later.

It would be a mistake not to extend Tyrod given his development and tools (including his intelligence).

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure what game people were watching, but Tyrod was throwing darts over the middle of the field, hitting WR and TE. Putting a spy on him to keep him in the pocket forces the issue and also keeps LBers wide. That opens up the middle. A good complete game for our QB in those conditions.

The fact people want to run him out of town after, what, 28 starts, is crazy. QBs don't develop overnight. This is like the people who sold Amazon in 2001 because it was immature and wasn't producing earnings. You have to take a longer view in investing and in the development of QBs. Some develop early, some later.

It would be a mistake not to extend Tyrod given his development and tools (including his intelligence).

Really!

I think Tyrod is a goner and it's because he stinks out loud.

I don't think I can any longer support pulling the trigger on paying his roster bonus to give him the extension currently on his contract. I'd support bringing him back under a deal that pays him more in line with what he's shown himself to be - a bottom tier starter or high end back up.

Nice to meet you, Mrs. Taylor. Your son sucks.

I don't think I can any longer support pulling the trigger on paying his roster bonus to give him the extension currently on his contract. I'd support bringing him back under a deal that pays him more in line with what he's shown himself to be - a bottom tier starter or high end back up.

He's essentially slated to be the cheapest starter. The issue is we'd be able tied to him for 2-3 years

It's 20frigging16 NFL and this guy still has never passed for 300+ yds at almost the end of his 2nd season.

He has like 70yds today into the 4th qtr. Are you frigging kidding.

I reallllly wanted Tyrod to be the guy but he's not. He is what he is and we've learned this over the course of this season.

He has passed for under 200 yards 14 times and he has 8 games he has thrown zero TDs.

It's a frickin pass happy league, that said it is extremely difficult to NOT eclipse 300 or in Tyrods case, even 200 yards passing and a TD or 3 or 4.

If this is your honest opinion, and I'm afraid it might actually be, you need to start watching some other teams outside of the Bills to see what competent QB'ing looks like, because you clearly have no clue.

I don't want to sound like a Tyrod apologist here, but...

Tyrod's failure is Rex Ryan's failure. TT actually had some good throws today, and there were a lot of dropped balls, and poorly run routes. It's not from any lack of talent, including TT. It is from a lack of chemistry, and that lands on Rex, IMO. Rex's stubborn adherence to a run heavy offense has come at the expense of the passing game, as opposed to enabling the passing game, as should be the desired effect.

And, can we now put to rest any notion of Rex Ryan, or his baffoon of a brother being defensive geniuses? Defense was their calling card. And, they're terrible at it. TERRIBLE!

Yay , so he hit a WR and TE over the middle. It's week 14 and he hasn't done it all year. He missed wide open guys for TDs again today, was very late to a wide open Clay ( ended up incomplete because of it) and was even late on the TD to Watkins. The guy leaves so many plays on the field in the passing game and he looked ineffective running in the snow. He threw for about 80-90 yards when the game mattered. He's not a starting NFL QB. Most personnel guys say you need about a season and a half to evaluate a QB. Time is up.

He was extended

Since you are offering more than "he stinks", I'll extend my reply.

My problem w/Tyrod is that he typically appears to throw to receivers only when they have gotten open instead of throwing to a spot where they will get open. He seems to need a very wide window to make this choice. Rarely does he set in his drop and quickly deliver the ball. He routinely drops back. waits, waits, runs a bit and either takes off, or throws to a receiver who has finally gotten separation.

Granted, he does not throw many INTs, but he does not seem to have the confidence to throw a ball before a receiver makes his cut and meets the throw at a spot. He reminds me of Maverick in Top Gun right after Goose dies. He's afraid to engage since it "doesn't look good."

Based on your belief that he needs more time, you could say Maverick eventually got over his apprehension, but Tyrod is a 5th year pro, not a 2nd year QB. Not to mention that Maverick clearly had the skills he showed at the end of the movie, but temporarily lost his confidence. I've never seen Tyrod throw with the accuracy, nor the timing to believe he ever will.

Tyrod is a starting QB in this league. I cannot think of many backups who can do better and he's better than a handful of other starting QBs in the league. The problem is that we need a playoff caliber QB and Tyrod is not one.

Edited by familykwi

He's essentially slated to be the cheapest starter. The issue is we'd be able tied to him for 2-3 years

You're correct that we'd be tied to him for 2-3 seasons, but his full contract average is $18M right now. That'd put him tied for 17th for QB average salary. This season is bringing that average down though. If his option is picked up that average salary over the next 2 seasons is $20.5M and over the next 4 seasons is $20.25M. That'd put him 13th just barely behind Foles who is playing on the franchise tag this season. Everything about the option is bothering me. Being tied to him for 2+ seasons, the guaranteed money and the average salary. I put him much more in the Fitzpatrick, 1 season at $12M range.

I have no issue with keeping TT for next year. Two conditions: (1) we redo his contract so it is not guaranteed money. If he dosen't like it, he can have fun being a guaranteed backup for another team or starting for a team with zero talent like Cleveland, which will instantly expose all his flaws; (2) there is a competition for QB. We draft a QB, Jones, TT and FA if a good one is available compete to start. TT is told that he may be the backup and will have to be okay with that.

What development? He is what he is, a great athlete that can't pass the ball consistently. No amount of playing time will change that.

I agree with this. He's exactly the same QB he was last season. It didn't happen for him and it's time to accept that. There's no shame in being a quality NFL backup. QB is the most difficult job in team sports. Edited by BarleyNY

It's easy to forget that Tyrod was drafted in 2011 and he sat behind a Super Bowl winning quarterback. He is not a rookie or in a sophomore year, this is who he is.

This also is a valid point. If he were a rookie this would be fine. But, he has not had the "reps" in a starting offense. I'm still not sold on him, but I'd like to see more without having to pay for that "tryout" and wedding myself to him by not bringing in competition.

I have no issue with keeping TT for next year. Two conditions: (1) we redo his contract so it is not guaranteed money. If he dosen't like it, he can have fun being a guaranteed backup for another team or starting for a team with zero talent like Cleveland, which will instantly expose all his flaws; (2) there is a competition for QB. We draft a QB, Jones, TT and FA if a good one is available compete to start. TT is told that he may be the backup and will have to be okay with that.

Why? are you not interested in winning?

I agree with this. He's exactly the same QB he was last season. It didn't happen for him and it's time to accept that. There's no shame in being a quality NFL backup. QB is the most difficult job in team sports.

He's worse than last year. Those bombs he threw were beautiful.