Tyrod: Regressed?

NoSaint

I meant exactly what I said -- red zone. There's nothing wrong with two long touchdowns, but if that's the only way you can score and the rest of the time you are going 3-and-out, your defense is going to be on the field for 40 minutes. And that's exactly what's happening.

It's what's been happening. I brought it up on numerous occasions months before the season began and was met with aggressively vehement opposition.

Edited by The Big Cat

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

With the SS (Pryor #25) pressing and the FS (Gilchrist #21) that high Clay is the hot. Their rookie LB (Lee #50) blew his coverage assignment and then fell down. After the play was over Gilchrist immediately pointed at the center of the field to indicate that they just dodged a huge bullet. This is not considered a difficult read for the QB to make.

I meant exactly what I said -- red zone. There's nothing wrong with two long touchdowns, but if that's the only way you can score and the rest of the time you are going 3-and-out, your defense is going to be on the field for 40 minutes. And that's exactly what's happening.

8:30 of those 40 minutes were on the opening drive, before the offense even saw the field. Doesn't excuse the rest of the game, but that's over 21% of the Jets possession time.

8:30 of those 40 minutes were on the opening drive, before the offense even saw the field. Doesn't excuse the rest of the game, but that's over 21% of the Jets possession time.

Yeah, and a good chunk of that was enabled by a phantom defensive hold that had zero impact on the play.

Just saying.

I think a little too much emphasis gets put on things like game plan.

We all know there's obviously a plan before every game and I think we understand that as the game actually plays out that game plan gets altered by many factors, for example, the score - how the defense is playing, injuries, things not working/things working, the clock, etc.. The in game adjustments IMO are where a QB and OC earn their stripes. Clearly it was an issue with Roman and/or Tyrod. This is where an experienced OC is most helpful or detrimental to a QB that is still learning. It takes time for a QB to understand the game where he's comfortable either telling his OC what he thinks or changing the play. I believe this is why Roman was let go - he just wasn't capable of through play calling to overcome Tyrod not totally being ready to run the offense.

Edited by Triple Threat

For those keeping score, is that on the Defense, Tyrod, or the refs? I'm not saying it was all their fault, but the numbers are what they are.

It's certainly on the defense for allowing two more third down conversions after that. The point was they never should have gotten there in the first place. That's on the refs.

But that penalty happened in Jets territory with 12:00 on the clock. Dramatically changed the complexion of the first quarter...after they failed to stop them on the next two thirds.

I don't know about charts or graphs or regression or progression. All I know is watching that clip of that play, you expect a decent high school quarterback to complete a pass to either receiver on that play.

When you say "that play," are you referring to about 75% of the pass plays over the last 18 games? If yes, then I agree.

With the SS (Pryor #25) pressing and the FS (Gilchrist #21) that high Clay is the hot. Their rookie LB (Lee #50) blew his coverage assignment and then fell down. After the play was over Gilchrist immediately pointed at the center of the field to indicate that they just dodged a huge bullet. This is not considered a difficult read for the QB to make.

The TOP in the Jets game has been misinterpreted. Jets had it first for nearly nine minutes; Bills had it next for a little over a minute (and scored); and the Jets had it third for 5+ minutes. That was basically the first quarter. Each team had three more possessions in the first half, and the Bills had it for a minute longer than the Jets overall in that timeframe. Basically, the Bills' D was the entity responsible for them being on the field for so long. The Bills offense was 14th last year in average time per drive too and EIGHTH in TOP overall: https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/average-time-of-possession-net-of-ot?date=2016-02-08.

Lots of misinformation out there ...

Mostly agreed about the shaky call on Gilmore, btw, although the WR did fall as a result of physical contact. Wasn't surprised it was called.

Edited by dave mcbride

The TOP in the Jets game has been misinterpreted. Jets had it first for nearly nine minutes; Bills had it next for a little over a minute (and scored); and the Jets had it third for 5+ minutes. That was basically the first quarter. Each team had three more possessions in the first half, and the Bills had it for a minute longer than the Jets overall in that timeframe. Basically, the Bills' D was the entity responsible for them being on the field for so long. The Bills offense was 14th last year in average time per drive too and EIGHTH in TOP overall: https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/average-time-of-possession-net-of-ot?date=2016-02-08.

My contention that a feast (long bomb) or famine (3-and-out) offense produces a dismal TOP isn't specific to the last Jets game -- it applies to any game going forward, and it should be obvious why. Unfortunately, this is a different year and right now we are 31st in the league, and soon to be last after Chicago plays tonight. https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/average-time-of-possession-net-of-ot?date=2016-09-19

I don't know what he meant, only what he said. I am not suggesting that the offense was efficient, or that Taylor does not need to improve his performance, but I cannot understand why two long touchdowns are not a good thing. That's two more than most QBs had this week. Whoopee indeed.

They aren't bad, and nobody suggested otherwise. The point is they were misleading as they padded his stat line (whoopee!) but were in no way an indicator of how he played.

I don't know where the stat is but I heard that the plays were being called in with around ten seconds left on the play clock. If your driving a car and only looking ten seconds down the road, you might wind up in a train wreck too. Let's see if the new OC can get the play called in a timely manor so TT has time to read the defense. He's had no time to check down or adjust protection. Let's hope for a better showing Sunday!!

Go Bills!

This is a very important issue as the more time TT has to survey things pre-snap, the better. I'm not convinced this is always the case though. Most of the time, he doesn't take the time to look, anyway.

Absolutely. I thought Gilchrist's post play actions said a lot. He was VERY quick to vacate his deep middle assignment when Lee fell down, that's for sure. And there was NOBODY between Woods and the EZ when that happened. I would have loved to have seen the play go to Clay which may have set up Woods later on. Oh well.

Edited by K-9

Yeah, and a good chunk of that was enabled by a phantom defensive hold that had zero impact on the play.

Just saying.

Anyone with All-22 see that play better? They didn't really show any good angles and from what I saw it was a slip and not DPI on us. Dude looked like he just fell down and then was smart to just blame SG24.

Anyone with All-22 see that play better? They didn't really show any good angles and from what I saw it was a slip and not DPI on us. Dude looked like he just fell down and then was smart to just blame SG24.

I've been noticing more and more that we don't get replays of bad penalty calls like we used to. I think the NFL has put the kibosh on that. We are quick to see plenty of replays of good penalty calls, though. Simms seemed certain that Gilmore never touched him, anyway.

Unless he starts doing basic QB stuff i am not wanting a 15m cap hit RB that hits occasional big pass on the roster.

Exactly. We sat here and talked about this midseason last year and hoped his deficiency in seeing/throwing to the middle of the field would get better. It has not. If it doesn't he makes it very easy for opposing D coordinators to take away half the field. Don't care how athletic he is you will never win if you can't be a complete QB

His chances of seeing $27M next season are not looking good at this point.

If everyone knew Mario was going to be cut for his 17 mil or so when he was a probowler. We should all be almost TOO confident Tyrod won't be here next year at 27 mil

This is who he was last year. If anything, his accuracy looks worse this year. The only difference is he doens't have the benefit of the running game picking up yards to open things up for the passing attack.

But if despite the running game being missing in action he's putting up relatively the same stats.... is he worse?

This is who he was last year. If anything, his accuracy looks worse this year. The only difference is he doens't have the benefit of the running game picking up yards to open things up for the passing attack.

Yep. Pretty much the same guy. Which is too bad since we were hoping for improvement, but I don't think he's "regressed" at all. I do see him as more hesitant to run, which makes him significantly less valuable, but he'll start running real soon since this is now must win territory.

One of the film breakdown guys (Erik or YPP, can't remember) said that opposition coaches have actively worked on taking away the Bills pin and pull run blocking. That would be the result of offseason tendency scouting.

There is merit to Bobby's idea too, no linebacker cares about what's behind them and will sell out on the run if they know the QB won't make them pay for it.

It seemed in the offseason that Roman was aware of the adjustments that defense's were going to make.

I think the run game would have still served it's purpose but McCoy and Bush aren't taking the inside options and can't deal out any punishment.

Among whom, exactly?

Among who? How many times did you hear last year. We finally have our guy. The front office. We have our guy. I'm not making this up. If i were wrong no one would be calling him TyGod Tryhard. He was annointed too soon. And now he is what some said he was. People want to get amnesia. Remember the whole this is the best qb play we have seen since Kelly rhetoric. It has been so nauseating. It has made many just plain not like him.

Edited by Agent 91

If everyone knew Mario was going to be cut for his 17 mil or so when he was a probowler. We should all be almost TOO confident Tyrod won't be here next year at 27 mil

Another question do we keep a 29 year old running back who no longer can out run Defender's to the edge? More over do we even want an edge rusher?

Is that because he mad the Pro Bowl last season? :lol:

Exactly. As the second alternate and did absolutely nothing. When he came I was like ok either he or EJ will start. He completed some balls ran like the wind and everyone got so googly eyed. They didn't see that this dude was a welcome story but he had glaring weaknesses. Remember the whole he put them on his back and single handedly won the Tennessee game in the clutch. Then the air raid drills to watkins. Oh lord let's not let this man get away. Meanwhile Clay has proven himself in this league and has had some high points with us. Use the weapons.throw the ball to them.

But if despite the running game being missing in action he's putting up relatively the same stats.... is he worse?

Pretty small sample size so far to be comparing numbers. Just looking at his on field play only, his accuracy looks worse. He's missing and is late on throws that you would expect him to make.

i guess, i think my point is that last year he was one of the slowest qbs to release the ball, and struggled with the intermediate.

couple that with the fact that the stats are nearly identical... i guess the question i would ask is what makes you think the stats arent telling the story and his reads have gotten slower, for instance?

I'll tell you, in the Ravens game he took zero chances (all safe throws) and missed opportunities for big plays. In the Jets game, he made two big plays (give him full credit) but padded his stats at the end when the Jets were playing soft with the big lead. Stats don't always tell the story. He has regressed. I do think not establishing a running game hurts, but I see plenty of plays to be made and he either throws a bad ball or goes with the wrong read.