Sorry, but I'm still going to miss Hogan

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But could that be because they haven't had a good GM, or HC in 20+ years..

Seriously? you're going to blame the lack of a 4th option WR on the 31st pass offense and put that on the GM? Seriously? Bills got to be relevant enough the last two years because of the talent Whaley and his team's been finding. How soon do you forget the division IA teams Bills had been masquerading as NFL team in the prior decades? They finally look respectable, because of Whaley. One step at a time.

Seriously? you're going to blame the lack of a 4th option WR on the 31st pass offense and put that on the GM? Seriously? Bills got to be relevant enough the last two years because of the talent Whaley and his team's been finding. How soon do you forget the division IA teams Bills had been masquerading as NFL team in the prior decades? They finally look respectable, because of Whaley. One step at a time.

Another nonsense-fountain to place on "ignore".... Thanks for identifying yourself! -Gbye!

Do you truly not see the cause and effect in this situation ? I am a Whaley supporter but acknowledge that he made mistakes. This was one of them.

He had 38 catches & 4 TDs in the regular season. Sure, a nice year, but let's not talk about him like he tore the league up. His last game was great, but will certaily be his best career game no matter how long he plays.

But, yeah, I wish he was still a Bill.

I'd to see just ONE article that breaks down each of Hogan's catches Sunday night and explains why any WR worth a damn should/would have made those plays. No contested catches, no fantastic moves, no broken tackles -- just a guy who was essentially uncovered and caught passes from a HOF QB that landed right in his hands -- and he dropped one of those that would have probably been a TD.

But sure, he would have made a difference in Buffalo this season.

I'd to see just ONE article that breaks down each of Hogan's catches Sunday night and explains why any WR worth a damn should/would have made those plays. No contested catches, no fantastic moves, no broken tackles -- just a guy who was essentially uncovered and caught passes from a HOF QB that landed right in his hands -- and he dropped one of those that would have probably been a TD.

But sure, he would have made a difference in Buffalo this season.

Go rewatch the flea flicker play, Brady feathered that thing out there and Hogan still double clutched it.

#1- any mediocre WR is going to look better with brady throwing.

#2- whaley screwed up again by not using a 2nd round tender offer instead of the lowest level tender ($1.7 vs $2.5mil)

In hindsight maybe he should have used the 2nd round tender, but at the time I think he was hoping to save every penny of cap space possible. Did any other team want to sign Hogan, or was it just the Patriots? If it was just the Patriots I can see why Whaley falsely believed that Hogan could be retained at the minimum salary. Even if he was given the 2nd round tender, the Bills still would have missed the playoffs. No one would have sacrificed the 2nd round pick to pick up Hogan, so he would have become a free agent anyways.

Do you truly not see the cause and effect in this situation ? I am a Whaley supporter but acknowledge that he made mistakes. This was one of them.

You're going to attribute the team's fall in passing offense from a LOFTY 28th in the league in 2015 to 30th this year solely on absence of Hogan? It's easily explained by Sammy's absence. It's not the 400 yards that Hogan had in 2015 that's lacking in this year's production. It's the absence of Sammy's 1000 yard season from 2015 to 400 this year that hurt passing numbers.

Hogan's make up fits team personality for Pats. That's why he's more valuable to them. And that's something Bills can learn from them. Put more value on certain personality traits vs. just pure talent.

Seriously...its Chris Hogan. Could there be a bigger waste of time on here than a 45 page thread about a guy struggled to make rosters his whole career and who caught less than 40 passes despite playing with arguably the greatest QB ever, the greatest HC ever, and in the absolute most perfect system ever for this particular WR.

Hogan is a solid guy, and I was thrilled to see him have a big game as the guy WORKS HARD. Loved that about him...but he is what he is...a solid guy, and we have a 45+ page thread about him when he had about the same amount of production for the Pats that he did with a run first Bills team.

Like I said before, this thread ONLY persists because Whaley detractors want to grossly over exaggerate this and make a case against him. Nobody in the NFL is going "Man, I wish we signed Hogan and he would have been the difference maker for our team this year." Brady has made a career on getting the most out of mediocre talent.

Edited by Alphadawg7

Hindsight is always 20/20. He was a solid reciever andif I recall correctly we did make him an offer. He chose to move on.

one may argue this was an easy choice even without hindsight, but i dont know that its much of a big deal. we tender him higher, he plays this year, we still miss the playoffs and hes an unrestricted free agent.

i wouldve done it differently, but im not sure its a "get out the pitchforks" kind of mistake.