Sorry, but I'm still going to miss Hogan

Or the Pats go sign someone else. They aren't known for giving up draft picks. They like to accumulate them.

I could be mistaken, but I don't believe compensatory draft picks are taken from the team that signs a free agent. They come out of a league pool of extra picks, which is why you see >32 picks per round from round 3 on.

Typical re-hashed Hogan hot takes here to keep posters' heads from exploding ("he's just NOT THAT GOOD!! NO, REALLY!).

If he was capable of laughter, I'm sure BB was laughing that he could pick up Hogan for relative peanuts last year.

Hogan was the 6th-highest paid player on the Pats last year. OK, 7th, if Gronk weren't IR'd. No joke, ahead of Bennett, Edelman, Amendola, McCourty, Ninkovich, and Chung.

Somehow the Pats manage to pay all their star players peanuts.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I could be mistaken, but I don't believe compensatory draft picks are taken from the team that signs a free agent. They come out of a league pool of extra picks, which is why you see >32 picks per round from round 3 on.

Hogan was the 6th-highest paid player on the Pats last year. OK, 7th, if Gronk weren't IR'd. No joke, ahead of Bennett, Edelman, Amendola, McCourty, Ninkovich, and Chung.

I really wanted to keep Hogan. But his offer from NE was a surprisingly sweet one. I don't blame him for leaving and I don't blame Whaley for not keeping him at that price.

The Pats are a passing team. We were a running team. It might have made sense for the Pats to pay him that much but it wouldn't have made sense for us.

Though I hope the Pats lose the SB, I wish Hogan well.

@JaySkurski

[bN] Blitz: Former #Bills WR Chris Hogan had a breakout game Sunday for the #Patriots, which begs the question ...

https://t.co/Us5toRsVCR

Chris Hogan was fantastic yesterday.

If the Bills continue with a QB who often doesn't even see open receivers, and then often misses them with inaccurate passes if he does, it doesn't matter if we have Jesus Christ as a WR. He won't help.

Hogan is solid, well built, and durable. Precise route runner. Good hands. Disciplined. Intelligent enough to get with the program, learn the playbook, and not screw up.

BB loves these guys and just slots them into the machine.

A middling QB + a guy like Sammy Watkins is worthless.

A franchise QB and a bunch of Chris Hogans can be very effective.

I always thought Hogan was a "training camp monster" where he looked great in training camp/preseason, but disappeared in the regular season. Seeing him try to pick up a first down was maddening as he would try and slant and come short of the marker, but if he went straight he would have picked up the first down. Yesterday, he was very impressive, what a difference a real QB will do for a player, plus the Pats are using him much more effectively instead of him running short routes.

Seeing him try to pick up a first down was maddening as he would try and slant and come short of the marker, but if he went straight he would have picked up the first down.

Often having to come back for bad throws. He is good at picking up first downs. He had decent numbers here and very good numbers this year in NE.

Guys saying Goodwin or his kind would have the same result on the pats are making themselves look silly.

It's not as "hardy har har" as you would like to think.

Hogan: 38/650/4

Glass: 29/431/3

You really think Glass wouldn't have surpassed Hogan's numbers with Brady* throwing to him? Dream on.

Often having to come back for bad throws. He is good at picking up first downs. He had decent numbers here and very good numbers this year in NE.

Brady is great at finding the open receiver. That's something the Bills need to improve on (besides QB) is pass protection. Hopefully they'll upgrade the RT position.

So you think Hogan is as good a WR as Julio Jones ? Now that is a good one. Do you think Hogan was the focus of the PIT defense and they schemed all week to stop him? Yet he beat them anyway through his sheer talent? Lol it was pretty obvious he wasn't. They often left him uncovered . He was an afterthought to PIt and NE EXPLOITED THAT. Good for them.

This "ignore that 3rd receiver" thing is presumably why Walt Powell put up his 190 yard games this year.

This "ignore that 3rd receiver" thing is presumably why Walt Powell put up his 190 yard games this year.

Comparing the Bills offense, its design and route concepts , the QB and everything else it involves to the Pats offense is folly. If you don't believe there are many other WRs in the league that the Pats could get similar production out of then I don't know what to tell you. Pointing to Walt Powell in the Bills offense with TT throwing him the ball as some sort of apples to apples comparison is a complete joke. I wouldn't be surprised if Powell et al could put up substantial numbers with the Pats. It's obvious that the Steelers were far more concerned about other players on the Pats offense than Chris Hogan. Most of those plays were designed to get him open in the soft spots of zones when dbs reacted to underneath routes by others. It was like a pitch and catch in practice.

The pats liked him after watching him play for he Bills, which is the topic of this discussion.

It wasn't just one game. He has done very well there---tied for first in the NFL in YPC.

He's no #1 WR, so getting a couple of looks per game won't get you over 1000 yards. He He had 23 of his 37 catches for 1st downs.

Guys saying Goodwin or his kind would have the same result on the pats are making themselves look silly.

For someone who trusts the abilities of the Pats to get tremendous production out of players, saying that they couldn't get great production out of a guy like Goodwin makes you seem silly.

Worth what they spent, NE would have to say...

It's not as "hardy har har" as you would like to think.

Hogan: 38/650/4

Glass: 29/431/3

You really think Glass wouldn't have surpassed Hogan's numbers with Brady* throwing to him? Dream on.

4 years in and Goodwin had a "career year" with under 30 receptions (on 68 targets!) for a full 3 yards less per catch.

"Uncoverable" Goodwin with his blinding speed had among the worst YAC in the NFL (2.8).

In 2014 Goodwin appeared in 10 games and had 1 catch. Hogan was in 12 games and had 41 catches and 4 TDs.

Goodwin stinks. His speed is useless.

41 pages..geez.

Without Brady, there is no Hogan.

Case closed.

I never thought of it that way.

Hmmm....with out a great QB, a WR can excel.....

I wonder if we can extrapolate that to even HOF level WRs....

Comparing the Bills offense, its design and route concepts , the QB and everything else it involves to the Pats offense is folly. If you don't believe there are many other WRs in the league that the Pats could get similar production out of then I don't know what to tell you. Pointing to Walt Powell in the Bills offense with TT throwing him the ball as some sort of apples to apples comparison is a complete joke. I wouldn't be surprised if Powell et al could put up substantial numbers with the Pats. It's obvious that the Steelers were far more concerned about other players on the Pats offense than Chris Hogan. Most of those plays were designed to get him open in the soft spots of zones when dbs reacted to underneath routes by others. It was like a pitch and catch in practice.

For someone who trusts the abilities of the Pats to get tremendous production out of players, saying that they couldn't get great production out of a guy like Goodwin makes you seem silly.

See above.

So you will be looking for the pats to pick up Goodwin for next year, right?

After more than 770 replies I still haven't changed my mind.

I was wrong about the 80 grabs, but I still would have been ok with Watkins, Woods and Hogan.

So would just about everybody ( myself included) responding to this ridiculous thread -that isn't some kind of Goodwin cheerleader. I , like many do not think it would have changed either team's fortunes one iota. Yes, Hogan is better than an undersized oft - injured speed demon track star cum NFL WR wannabe. In the annals of Doug Whaleys transgressions, this is a minor bordering on inconsequential one. Trying to make Chris Hogan out to be some kind of generational talent that the Patriots rode to a SuperBowl is total insanity.

IMO Hogan was a perfect fit for NE. He has a high football IQ. (I have seen more than one "great" WR Crash and burn here for not having that.) runs great routes and catches almost everything thrown to him.

HOGAN IS BY NO MEANS A #1 WR and is at best an average #2 option, but he is a GREAT 3rd option who can get open deep to open thing up for Edelman, Mitchell, Amondola underneath.

People are right that Brady makes him better because his throws are on target and ALLOW YAC, so many QBS throws make it so YAC is all but impossible.

To amplify what JohnC said -

The Bills have a roster full of Michael Floyds - talented idiots.

The Patriots benched Floyd yesterday in favor of their Chris Hogans - intelligent, high-effort players.

The results are obvious.

Incidentally, another former Bill, Alan Branch, was phenomenal as a run-stuffer this year.

Worth what they spent, NE would have to say...

4 years in and Goodwin had a "career year" with under 30 receptions (on 68 targets!) for a full 3 yards less per catch.

"Uncoverable" Goodwin with his blinding speed had among the worst YAC in the NFL (2.8).

In 2014 Goodwin appeared in 10 games and had 1 catch. Hogan was in 12 games and had 41 catches and 4 TDs.

Goodwin stinks. His speed is useless.

I never thought of it that way.

Hmmm....with out a great QB, a WR can excel.....

I wonder if we can extrapolate that to even HOF level WRs....

See above.

So you will be looking for the pats to pick up Goodwin for next year, right?

Nope. He's often injured , has tremendous speed but I don't think he has the desire to reach his potential at the NFL level . He's a track guy at heart. I don't think the Pats will be interested , but who knows. I am not a fan of Goodwin. I would have kept Hogan, personally because I think MG gets hurt to often due to his slight build and is a one dimensional player. I'm not sure what the greater point you are trying to make is( or of this idiotic thread altogether) . The Bills let a decent WR who can play in the league go because they decided he wasn't worth the expenditure or didn't think any team would give up a pick. Or they chose the speed over something else. It also happened that CH was the one about to hit free agency , not Goodwin or someone else. If CH was still under contract for 2016 and Goodwin or another WR was in CH's situation it's likely that player would have left and not Hogan. So what? Players come and go for every single team in the league that are capable of playing in the NFL. This thread is like something you would expect to see if the Bills let a former first round pick walk for no compensation. Who cares? It's Chris Hogan, a guy that can play in the league. He was on the Bills already , and they lost just as many games or close to it. They also had Alan Branch, I can't wait for that thread and just about any other former Bill that went to a better team.