Sorry, but I'm still going to miss Hogan

Funny, but I don't remember people calling them intelligent, high character lunch pail dudes. Maybe Troy Brown, but BB inherited him, IIRC

He drafted David Patton in the 7th round (or was thaT Gibbons I forget.) I don't think he cares a lick about character, but you do have to be intelligent to be on the team. (That goes for both sides of the ball. Big Vince is very intelligent player.)

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not as "hardy har har" as you would like to think.

Hogan: 38/650/4

Glass: 29/431/3

You really think Glass wouldn't have surpassed Hogan's numbers with Brady* throwing to him? Dream on.

Glass is made of glass; Hogan is solidly built and durable.

Glass has so-so hands and has dropped a lot of catchable passes in his time in Buffalo.

Hogan has good hands.

If we are talking about #3 type receivers, I'd take Hogan all day long over Goodwin.

Hogan doesn't have the same speed of course, but so what. You don't need 4.28 speed in the NFL.

Glass has so-so hands and has dropped a lot of catchable passes in his time in Buffalo.

Hogan has good hands.

If we are talking about #3 type receivers, I'd take Hogan all day long over Goodwin.

Hogan doesn't have the same speed of course, but so what. You don't need 4.28 speed in the NFL.

And that's what 99 % of Bills fans think. GMs fall in love with speed and track guys, have for years. Whaley's not a very good GM. Hogan would not be having as much success had he stayed with the Bills. The premise of this thread is stupid.

Hogan has good hands.

At 3? yea, i probably prefer the more complete and reliable guy depending on what 1 and 2 look like of course. at 4 (or even at 3 if you have a really good TE option) you start to get into package players or guys that are EXCELLENT at something or high risk/high reward being more feasible.

but even with a starter injured you like to have 2 reliable receivers that can move around and generally do the whole route tree and hogans good for that. if we had a healthy sammy, a reliable #2 and woods and clay --- im much more likely to say lets take a flyer on the guy that does something rare like run a 4.28.

he wouldve made sense here this year for sure.

To amplify what JohnC said -

The Bills have a roster full of Michael Floyds - talented idiots.

The Patriots benched Floyd yesterday in favor of their Chris Hogans - intelligent, high-effort players.

The results are obvious.

Incidentally, another former Bill, Alan Branch, was phenomenal as a run-stuffer this year.

Some Bills fans would rather keep saying how bad ex-Buffalo players are because it helps them with their denial issues. Both those players would have helped the Bills get more wins this year.

Chris Hogan corralled nine-of-12 targets for 180 yards and two touchdowns Sunday in the Patriots' AFC Championship Game win over the Steelers.

If they ever make a 30-for-30 about Hogan’s career, this game might be a good place to start. There was legitimate concern about how effective Hogan would be this week after sporting a noticeable limp in the locker room after Friday’s practice. Hogan erased any doubts about his health by having the game of his life, setting career-highs in yards, catches and touchdowns. He ran circles around the Steelers’ overmatched secondary while breaking Deion Branch’s team record for the most receiving yards in a postseason game. Hogan was left wide open on his first touchdown of the night and later scored a 34-yarder on a perfectly executed flea-flicker by Tom Brady. Next up for Hogan and the Pats is a Super Bowl LI matchup against the NFC Champion Falcons. That game will be held in Houston two weeks from today.

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/353807/edelman-erupts-as-pats-advance-to-super-bowl?ls=roto:NE:topheadlines

Funny to note that in this same column it mentions that Julian Edelman erupts for 8 of 10 targets for 118 yards.

Too bad Buffalo can't find more WR's like Hogan, after all, he is JAG!

Some Bills fans would rather keep saying how bad ex-Buffalo players are because it helps them with their denial issues. Both those players would have helped the Bills get more wins this year.

Chris Hogan corralled nine-of-12 targets for 180 yards and two touchdowns Sunday in the Patriots' AFC Championship Game win over the Steelers.

If they ever make a 30-for-30 about Hogan’s career, this game might be a good place to start. There was legitimate concern about how effective Hogan would be this week after sporting a noticeable limp in the locker room after Friday’s practice. Hogan erased any doubts about his health by having the game of his life, setting career-highs in yards, catches and touchdowns. He ran circles around the Steelers’ overmatched secondary while breaking Deion Branch’s team record for the most receiving yards in a postseason game. Hogan was left wide open on his first touchdown of the night and later scored a 34-yarder on a perfectly executed flea-flicker by Tom Brady. Next up for Hogan and the Pats is a Super Bowl LI matchup against the NFC Champion Falcons. That game will be held in Houston two weeks from today.

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/353807/edelman-erupts-as-pats-advance-to-super-bowl?ls=roto:NE:topheadlines

Funny to note that in this same column it mentions that Julian Edelman erupts for 8 of 10 targets for 118 yards.

Well, he didn't lead the SEC in receiving like Da'Rick.

If they ever make a 30-for-30 about Hogans career, this game might be a good place to start. There was legitimate concern about how effective Hogan would be this week after sporting a noticeable limp in the locker room after Fridays practice. Hogan erased any doubts about his health by having the game of his life, setting career-highs in yards, catches and touchdowns. He ran circles around the Steelers overmatched secondary while breaking Deion Branchs team record for the most receiving yards in a postseason game. Hogan was left wide open on his first touchdown of the night and later scored a 34-yarder on a perfectly executed flea-flicker by Tom Brady. Next up for Hogan and the Pats is a Super Bowl LI matchup against the NFC Champion Falcons. That game will be held in Houston two weeks from today.

He is a decent WR in the league. Just what evidence can you provide that the Bills would have a better record with Hogan on the team? Their record when he was on the team was hovering around .500 . Quite similar to this season . He has produced better on a far better team. As would many many players including ones that , yes currently play for this Bills. Just what does this prove to you? That players on the Bills could be more productive if they played on better teams with better players and coaches? What a revelation. Let's play another game and imagine Tom Brady plays for the Bills. Do you think he might lead the current Bills to a better record than Tyrod Taylor? Even as currently constructed , meaning without the great Chris Hogan? I do . Wheeeeeeeeee this is fun ! Edited by Boatdrinks

but lets not pretend yesterday is some week in and week out performance or that he did something that a lot of guys couldnt do in his role yesterday.

but lets not pretend that even if he was only WR who caught any balls you would have given credit. You have been a consistent basher, as bad as FireChan is on some issues.

but lets not pretend that even if he was only WR who caught any balls you would have given credit. You have been a consistent basher, as bad as FireChan is on some issues.

if you think im bashing, id venture your skin may be thin. if saying the dude is a fine 3-4 kind of guy and should have been our 3 this year is bashing --- what exactly do you think he is in this league?

Everyone knows that I hate Hogan. With that being said I bet him for over 3.5 catches, 39 1/2 yards and at 10:1 for the first TD. Hogan was good to me yesterday. Honestly though, what did he do yesterday that any receiver, given that opportunity wouldn't have? Seriously, what impressed people? He made 1 play on his own and that's when he turned up the crossing route. He made a really nice play there. Other than that he ran free and caught the ball (except the screen).

He's a good fit in that system, no doubt. He had a huge game yesterday but it wasn't anything like Julio Jones' game. He wasn't running through tackles, dragging his feet on the sidelines, jumping over guys, or making contested catches. He was running free and catching the ball.

Everyone knows that I hate Hogan.

He's a good fit in that system, no doubt. He had a huge game yesterday but it wasn't anything like Julio Jones' game. He wasn't running through tackles, dragging his feet on the sidelines, jumping over guys, or making contested catches. He was running free and catching the ball.

Who equtes Hogan with Julio Jones??? That be like equating Clay with Gronkowski at TE.

Who equtes Hogan with Julio Jones??? That be like equating Clay with Gronkowski at TE.

No one

Their stats yesterday were similar but what they did to obtain those stats was different. That's the point that I was making. Hogan played a great game but didn't do anything that an NFL receiver wouldn't have done with the same opportunity. He ran free and caught the ball. It wasn't a product of his freakish ability. It was an unbelievably designed offensive game plan, an accurate QB and his underrated speed.

To amplify what JohnC said -

The Bills have a roster full of Michael Floyds - talented idiots.

The Patriots benched Floyd yesterday in favor of their Chris Hogans - intelligent, high-effort players.

The results are obvious.

Incidentally, another former Bill, Alan Branch, was phenomenal as a run-stuffer this year.

Alan Branch is neither smart nor high effort.

Funny, but I don't remember people calling them intelligent, high character lunch pail dudes. Maybe Troy Brown, but BB inherited him, IIRC

To be fair, no one called Rodney Harrison lunch pail, but he was always regarded as an extremely intelligent player (which he was - it's part of how he turned 5th round athleticism into a near-HOF-worthy career).

Edited by dave mcbride

It's not as "hardy har har" as you would like to think.

Hogan: 38/650/4

Glass: 29/431/3

You really think Glass wouldn't have surpassed Hogan's numbers with Brady* throwing to him? Dream on.

I disagree with your view comparing Goodwin with Hogan if he was with the Pats. A receiver in the Pats system and playing with Brady has to run precise routes and be able to adjust his routes in their system. That certainly isn't Goodwin's forte.

He's one of those high-character-but-only-in-very-specific-and-unique-contexts guys!

Hogan is a tremendous athlete. I know we all joke about the constant references to his lacrosse past, but it seems people don't understand exactly how difficult it is to excel at two sports, particularly after being away from one (football) for several years. This white guy = "high character" guy thing is imposed on the Pats by people outside looking in (with thinly disguised envy). Edelman is another superb athlete, passed over not because he's white but because he's small and had played QB. Let's face facts: the Pats (thank goodness) aren't always right in how they gauge talent, but they're right a whole lot more often than most teams.

Hogan is a tremendous athlete. I know we all joke about the constant references to his lacrosse past, but it seems people don't understand exactly how difficult it is to excel at two sports, particularly after being away from one (football) for several years. This white guy = "high character" guy thing is imposed on the Pats by people outside looking in (with thinly disguised envy). Edelman is another superb athlete, passed over not because he's white but because he's small and had played QB. Let's face facts: the Pats (thank goodness) aren't always right in how they gauge talent, but they're right a whole lot more often than most teams.

I think he was talking about branch, though hogan is pretty athletic if you pull his measurables---

Was reading a bit about the Houston rockets gm that brought his version of analytics to the NBA and how he struggled with scouts, and even himself being guilty of comparing guys based on race and once he banned comparing guys to someone of the same race it fixed some of their issues even as professional evaluators - they looked at guys more objectively instead of, in this case, hogan being just a hard worker with a lunch pail.