Sorry, but I'm still going to miss Hogan

But that's not what's happening.

It's about context and comparing Watkins to his peers at their perspective points in their careers.

Well, then what is the point of that? Just because they both had the "same injury and surgeries"?

That's the only similarity I see. Jones is a physical beast, Watkins isn't. Jones makes supernatural catches, Watkins not so much. Did anyone honestly watch JJ play last night and say "I see a lot of Sammy right there"?

No one honestly said that.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, then what is the point of that? Just because they both had the "same injury and surgeries"?

That's the only similarity I see. Jones is a physical beast, Watkins isn't. Jones makes supernatural catches, Watkins not so much. Did anyone honestly watch JJ play last night and say "I see a lot of Sammy right there"?

No one honestly said that.

So you just compared Julio, where he is now, to where Watkins is now... exactly the opposite of what I just said. Did you think that about Julio in 2013?

And really?

WATKINS-CATCH.gif

Edited by Wayne Cubed

So you just compared Julio, where he is now, to where Watkins is now... exactly the opposite of what I just said. Did you think that about Julio in 2013?

And really?

WATKINS-CATCH.gif

That's a career highlight for Sammy. JJ had three better than that last night.

In terms of Watkins I think that 100 catches, 1400 yards and 10 TDs is realistic if healthy.

That depends on the QB, how well he reads the D and who else is on the team as a WR. If he is the Bills only threat he gets nowhere near 1400 and 10 TDs. I say a more reasonable number be around 1000 yards 5 TDS (0robabky less since the Bills run it inside the red zone more.)

Sour grapes and jealousy. So Hogan goes to the Pats, plays all season, has a big game in the playoffs, and gets a ring. GOOD for him. I don't think anyone should have expected him to contribute to the Pats like a team MVP. Went there, played well, got a ring. Every Bill should wish that for themselves

Sammy's catch rate is significantly worse than Julio's.

And that shouldn't be a knock on Watkins. I thought Brown was better than him till I saw the catches he made against my Pats. (I still can't believe the tip toe catch or the one he out wrestled Ryan for the ball.)

That'd be nice but Julio had almost 1600 yards in 15 games in his 4th year.

Not to mention him putting up 580 yards in 5 games the year previous. Compared to Sammy's 430 yards in 8 games.

I know, that's why I said what I think is realistic. Its not impossible for Sammy to hit those numbers if he is featured like Beckham for example. It depends on the targets.

That depends on the QB, how well he reads the D and who else is on the team as a WR. If he is the Bills only threat he gets nowhere near 1400 and 10 TDs. I say a more reasonable number be around 1000 yards 5 TDS (0robabky less since the Bills run it inside the red zone more.)

He had 1,047 and 9 TDs in 13 games in 2015. That extrapolates out to 1289 and 11 TDS. That was what he did in the run first offense that the Bills ran. You are low on the expectation.

I can tell you that there are 32 NFL teams that most clearly would NOT

Imagine if you called BB tomorrow and said we will give you Watkins for Hogan. How long would it take him to agree? Less than 2 seconds?

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Imagine if you called BB tomorrow and said we will give you Watkins for Hogan. How long would it take him to agree? Less than 2 seconds?

I honestly don't think Belichick would. Any other coach I'd say absolutely. BB isn't the type to trade FOR what's going to be a monster contract extension in a year. Especially for a guy with injury concerns.

He's also never really valued receivers that highly.

Edited by LBSeeBallLBGetBall

I honestly don't think Belichick would. Any other coach I'd say absolutely. BB isn't the type to trade FOR what's going to be a monster contract extension in a year. Especially for a guy with injury concerns.

He would pull the trigger in less than a second. He tried to trade for Deandre Hopkins during the season, who is a year closer to that extension. EVERYONE would trade a nickel for a dollar.

You're right. He's bound for Canton.

At best, according to some, he was argued as equivalent to Sammy because while much less talented he is also much less frequently on the injury report.

The more mainstream hogan narrative is, obviously no Sammy, close to woods and far better than anyone else the bills fielded this year.

As far as canton goes, there isn't a player on the team presently that I see heading that route and certainly no WRs

Right and again, you are comparing Julio NOW. Where were your thoughts on him after the 2013 season?

I wasn't saying..."man. he reminds me of that kid at Clemson".

But seriously, Jones had a great rookie season and was a Pro Bowl WR the next year with 1200 yards (splitting catches with Roddy White..). I, like many others thought he was going to be a beast. He got hurt in 2013, so......he got hurt and didn't finish the season.

Other than a foot injury, there isn't much similar in Watkins and Jones, now or then.

Hogan played 97 out of 99 snaps (including ST plays). Only Brady and the o-linemen, who played every snap, played more. He was an unsung hero yesterday, contributing numerous good blocks and doing a lot of clear-outs. He had one bad drop, but he made a couple of very important catches late too.

Anyway, the number of snaps is a telling sign of the value the Pats assign to him. Scroll down to see the snap count totals: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201702050atl.htm.

Edited by dave mcbride

Hogan played 97 out of 99 snaps (including ST plays). Only Brady and the o-linemen, who played every snap, played more. He was an unsung hero yesterday, contributing numerous good blocks and doing a lot of clear-outs. He had one bad drop, but he made a couple of very important catches late too.

Anyway, the number of snaps is a telling sign of the value the Pats assign to him. Scroll down to see the snap count totals: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201702050atl.htm.

He really is a good fit there. He is more physical than he gets credit for.

He really is a good fit there. He is more physical than he gets credit for.

On this we agree 100 percent. He's a perfect fit because they run so many short passes in which the other receivers have to block if the play is to work. His block is what got Amendola that 2P conversion. A sloppy effort on that play and the Falcons win.