Worst off-season ever

BillsVet

In the span of 3 months, this happened:

1. May: 1st round pick Shaq Lawson, whose shoulder removed him from other teams' boards suffers a shoulder injury during a non-contact drill. He undergoes surgery and will not be able to play until Week 8.

2. May: The same day Lawson's injury is announced, it is revealed Sammy Watkins had foot surgery a month previous and is uncertain for training camp.

3. May: The Bills media policy is made known and widely panned for preventing any record of what players do in practice. Later, the policy is walked back.

4. May: GM Doug Whaley tells WGR 550 radio that football is "a violent game that I personally don't think humans are supposed to play." The team is forced to issue a clarification the following day.

5. July: Karlos Williams shows up 20+ pounds overweight and later is suspended 4 games for a violation of the league's substance abuse policy.

6. July: Jonathan Williams, a 2016 5th round pick is arrested for DWI in Arkansas.

7. July: Manny Lawson is injured while working out and misses the beginning of training camp.

8. August: Reggie Ragland, a 2nd round pick the team depended on as an immediate starter, suffers a knee injury and will miss the 2016 season.

9. August: Cordy Glenn suffers a high ankle sprain and will miss the entire pre-season. Expected to be available for week 1.

10. August: Manny Lawson is suspended 1 game for a violation of the league's domestic violence policy.

11. August: Marcell Dareus suspended 4 games for a violation of the league's substance abuse policy.

I didn't include McCoy's fight with off-duty cops in Philadelphia, but considered it (EDIT:) because he was not charged.

Edited by BillsVet

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. May: 1st round pick Shaq Lawson, whose shoulder removed him from other teams' boards suffers a shoulder injury during a non-contact drill. He undergoes surgery and will not be able to play until Week 8.

2. May: The same day Lawson's injury is announced, it is revealed Sammy Watkins had foot surgery a month previous and is uncertain for training camp.

3. May: The Bills media policy is made known and widely panned for preventing any record of what players do in practice. Later, the policy is walked back.

4. May: GM Doug Whaley tells WGR 550 radio that football is "a violent game that I personally don't think humans are supposed to play." The team is forced to issue a clarification the following day.

5. July: Karlos Williams shows up 20+ pounds overweight and later is suspended 4 games for a violation of the league's substance abuse policy.

6. July: Jonathan Williams, a 2016 5th round pick is arrested for DWI in Arkansas.

7. July: Manny Lawson is injured while working out and misses the beginning of training camp.

8. August: Reggie Ragland, a 2nd round pick the team depended on as an immediate starter, suffers a knee injury and will miss the 2016 season.

9. August: Cordy Glenn suffers a high ankle sprain and will miss the entire pre-season. Expected to be available for week 1.

10. August: Manny Lawson is suspended 1 game for a violation of the league's domestic violence policy.

11. August: Marcell Dareus suspended 4 games for a violation of the league's substance abuse policy.

I didn't include McCoy's fight with off-duty cops in Philadelphia, but considered it (EDIT:) because he was not charged.

You missed Rex lying about Reggie's injury then looking like an idiot.

You missed Rex lying about Reggie's injury then looking like an idiot.

That is BS and you know it.

If the weather is bad, do you automatically blame Rex?!? Seems as though you blame him for everything.

Yeah!

So done with this team.

Come back and get me after you sign up for the Jets Board.

It's the players and they bring this on them selves. They deserve more than just four games etc. They deserve to be banned and than see if the bright guys, who are getting all this money due drugs and beat up women. Yea they will and good buy to them. They get just what they deserve. Nothing.

Yeah!

So done with this team.

Come back and get me after you sign up for the Jets Board.

Who's talking about being done with the team? Or joining a Jets board? Only you are.

This is what's happened in the last 3 months...for a team which stumbled to an 8-8 record in 2015 despite going on a huge spending spree.

Which teams removed Shaq from their draft boards?

"Removed" is an overstatement. It was reported at draft time - by Schefter, IIRC - that he knew of teams that had a medical flag on Lawson that bumped him down. I don't remember him or anyone else saying Lawson was removed from any team's board.

I hasn't been a great offseason. That's for sure. But we don't need to lower the lifeboats yet.

Edited by BarleyNY

Who's talking about being done with the team? Or joining a Jets board? Only you are.

This is what's happened in the last 3 months...for a team which stumbled to an 8-8 record in 2015 despite going on a huge spending spree.

Spending spree? Whatever!

That is BS and you know it.

If the weather is bad, do you automatically blame Rex?!? Seems as though you blame him for everything.

You mean when Rex said there didn't appear to be ligament damage, then walked back and said he said that because he "felt hopeful?" Right, never happened.

Yes lets just pile on BS to go along with the legit reasons to be upset

100% true John. Sorry our coach is a moron.

The most concerning aspect of this situation is that Dareus will move to Stage 3 in the intervention program. That means a lot of tests, including throughout the season and that his next marijuana violation would be a minimum 10 game suspension. After that it'd be a minimum of a year with no guarantee of reinstatement. The Bills have a lot invested in Dareus and he's important to this team. He needs to get his **** together.

Somewhere Jerry Sullivan is giggling with glee as he writes his next column....

The most concerning aspect of this situation is that Dareus will move to Stage 3 in the intervention program. That means a lot of tests, including throughout the season and that his next marijuana violation would be a minimum 10 game suspension. After that it'd be a minimum of a year with no guarantee of reinstatement. The Bills have a lot invested in Dareus and he's important to this team. He needs to get his **** together.

Maybe the Bills will put a tail on him like they did with Bruce Smith.

It's crazy that marijuana is a suspendable offense in the first place, crazier that he might be kicked out of the league for it in the future.

Somewhere Jerry Sullivan is giggling with glee as he writes his next column....

Maybe the Bills will put a tail on him like they did with Bruce Smith.

along with certain poster's who I am suprised were able to keep their fingers from shaking as they eagerly write out these their posts.

and yes....just shaking my head Marcel.

You mean when Rex said there didn't appear to be ligament damage, then walked back and said he said that because he "felt hopeful?" Right, never happened.

Did Rex say that? I mean I don't like Rex but I thought he said they thought there was ligament damage? The day he did I am certain that's what he said.

Happy to be proved wrong if I am.

It's crazy that marijuana is a suspendable offense in the first place, crazier that he might be kicked out of the league for it in the future.

I think marijuana testing is gone in the next CBA. But the owners will want something for that, possibly more PED testing.

In light of the incredibly addictive prescription painkillers that get doled out to players you'd have to think the owners would rather have players smoking pot than taking that stuff.

Edited by BarleyNY