Bills announce contract extension for Tyrod Taylor

I love how Pollyannas ignore reality. Conversations usually go like this:

Realist: I see a problem here.

Pollyanna: You're so negative! Everything's great!

R: Not everything. Just look at the problem. It's pretty big.

P: You just want to see failure so you can say you were right!

R: No, I'd rather be wrong, but the facts say this is a problem.

P: You're so negative! Everything's great!

(Bad, predictable thing happens)

R: Yep, saw that coming.

P: You happy now? You always root for failure.

R: No. It sucks, but I'm not surprised.

P: You're so negative!

Yeah, he's been professional and I've given him props for it. He deserves it.

I really dont call people out for being negative.....just really hate when the word "realist" is thrown into it like its some sort of justification.

People have the right to be negative....dont justify it like you have any more "real" view then anyone that chooses to think the bills might actually get this ship righted

cuz you dont

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, historically this would seem to be the case

I think it proves we haven't cracked the QB code but we've most definitely done good things while not solving the QB issue. The problem is the nah sayers don't like anything we do - they don't like our players - the don't like our coaches - they don't like the front office - they don't like our draft, and they just point to our record. The facts are that we haven't made the playoffs in 16 seasons. What isn't a fact is that we won't before the season starts. A realist isn't someone predicting we won't and being optimistic doesn't mean we will. The point is do we have to beat the negative drum every damn year before it starts? Can we stop attacking fans that think we have a shot this year?

I really dont call people out for being negative.....just really hate when the word "realist" is thrown into it like its some sort of justification.

People have the right to be negative....dont justify it like you have any more "real" view then anyone that chooses to think the bills might actually get this ship righted

cuz you dont

Unrealistic positions aren't equal to realistic ones. Sorry to break that to you. People have a right to their opinions, but an opinion that can be backed up with unbiased facts, analysis and logic is worthy of a lot more respect than one that can't. Watching some Pollyanna cherry picks facts to create some pretend scenario to make themselves feel good is like nails on a chalkboard to me. It's like we're in preschool. If we all wish real hard, then all of our dreams will come true! Sorry, I just can't do that. So, yeah, some opinions are better than others. Realists aren't necessarily negative, they are actually very positive when situations warrant it. That's how you can tell the difference between a realist and someone who's just negative (or a Pollyanna and realist). Facts and logical arguments often change the opinions of realists. Negative people and Pollyannas tend to be pretty impervious to facts and logic though.

Unrealistic positions aren't equal to realistic ones. Sorry to break that to you. People have a right to their opinions, but an opinion that can be backed up with unbiased facts, analysis and logic is worthy of a lot more respect than one that can't. Watching some Pollyanna cherry picks facts to create some pretend scenario to make themselves feel good is like nails on a chalkboard to me. It's like we're in preschool. If we all wish real hard, then all of our dreams will come true! Sorry, I just can't do that. So, yeah, some opinions are better than others. Realists aren't necessarily negative, they are actually very positive when situations warrant it. That's how you can tell the difference between a realist and someone who's just negative (or a Pollyanna and realist). Facts and logical arguments often change the opinions of realists. Negative people and Pollyannas tend to be pretty impervious to facts and logic though.

Please provide these unbiased facts that make your opinion better then mine.

Nothing to see here, move along.

Are you debating my statement that an opinion based on unbiased examination and logical interpretation of facts is generally superior to an opinion based on bias and contortion of facts?

Y'all don't know the amounts being discussed here, so it's asinine to conclude from reports of negotiations that the F.O. is either making good decisions or making bad decisions. The Bills have a tremendous amount of leverage here, I seriously doubt they are making offers that exceed even a severe discount to his level of play last year. If Tyrod can sustain that level of play or exceed it, Whaley can Kirk Cousins him (franchise tag him) -- twice. On top of that, Tyrod's size and propensity to run likely mean that the agent is chomping at the bit to get a deal done and protect his 10% against the risk of injury.

Edited by johnwalter

Nothing like trying to preemptively give credit for something that hasn't happened with no details. Christ on a cracker, how many of you work for the Bills?

Nah, its more pre-emptive sarcasm based on the endlessly negative takes *anything* the Bills FO does.

And it's cute that you think I work for the Bills, considering others have called me needlessly pessimistic in the past.

Edited by Dorkington

Nah, its more pre-emptive sarcasm based on the endlessly negative takes *anything* the Bills FO does.

And it's cute that you think I work for the Bills, considering others have called me needlessly pessimistic in the past.

haha that was me. But mainly in the Gameday threads :lol:

I keep seeing Darby struggling tweets, and Gilmore impressing tweets. Could we want to get Tyrod signed so we can be free to franchise Gilmore next year if we have to?

i remember the panic over darby last preseason. those were good times.

Could we want to get Tyrod signed so we can be free to franchise Gilmore next year if we have to?

Yep, that is exactly what has been surmised so far. That definitely has some influence on this.

Im sure if it were up to the Bills, it would be to re-sign Gilmore first, and that is what they tried. But with that stalling out, time to get Tyrod signed and get some leverage in place for Gilmore.

I can agree with this, but unfortunately the labels aren't always applied appropriately. As a person some have labeled a Pollyanna I'd like to think I don't cherry pick facts and ignore reality. I simply choose to take an optimistic, hopeful approach to things that have not yet occurred -- and that includes taking "negative" people to task if I don't agree with their "logic." After the fact I believe I'm as pragmatic and logical as they come -- a realist.

Bridge deal thoughts:

- If Taylor played this season and was franchised next he would get about $3M and $21M, respectively. A franchise in 2018 would be about $25M. (Using rounded numbers for now.)

- There's pretty much no risk for the Bills in that situation. All of that is on Taylor.

- There's no way Taylor plays under a tag in 2017. He's on a very cheap "show me" year which implies that he'll get paid market value based on his performance in 2016.

- A bridge deal would keep Taylor around through the 2017 season for sure and with no tag or renegotiation until after that season.

- The franchise tag in 2017 would be about his average per season market value if he plays about as well as last season. That's not an opinion of whether or not his performance last season is worth that, only that it would be market value.

So how about a 3 year deal like this?:

$12M signing bonus

2016: salary of $1M fully guaranteed, cap hit of $5M (actually $5.133M due to previous SB)

2017: salary of $11M fully guaranteed, cap hit of $15M

2018: salary $25M + $5M roster bonus, cap hit of $34M ($4M of which would be dead cap if Taylor was not paid his roster bonus and became a free agent)

Obviously this is a 2 year deal. Taylor would get the same 2 year payout of $24M, but he'd get cash now and the security of $24M guaranteed. The Bills wouldn't have to use their tag on him next season or deal with him refusing to sign it - and they'd get the same 2 year payout. Taylor's agent would get to crow about a 3 year, $54M deal with $51M in new money. The Bills would have two seasons to watch Taylor grow and determine his value, probably the same time Rex has to produce. After 2017 a new deal could be reached or ties could be severed with no real consequences. Thoughts?

Your last couple of posts have made alot of sense, atleast to me. The scenario u laid out would seem to work for both sides. Get er done.

yep. He has to know someone in overdorf's staff. He's always tuned into contract stuff.

and not just vague stuff - but wasnt he breaking pretty detailed info during negotiations with hughes(maybe?)

like down to the times of meetings or attendees in the meetings. it struck me as a pretty direct connect hes got.

It really is cool to hear player after player recognizing, and embracing the Buffalo fan's patience, passion and desire for a another great team. I think that truly means something to a lot of these guys. I don't follow other teams - maybe players on other teams say the same thing, but our current team is filled with passionate players that want to bring a championship to the city of Buffalo, for the fans. Pretty cool.

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

The salary cap only matters when you are good. If Tyrod was asking for $17 million per over 5 years I would do it. If he proves not to be good enough to get us to the playoffs, then we will probably have to do at least a mini rebuild, in which case we cut or trade him and take the hit for one year. It won't hurt us as far as maintaining the core goes. The only thing it hurts is Pegula's pocket book, which he has proven he does not care about.

If Tyrod succeeds, then we it will be a great deal and nowhere will actually care about the amount because we will have ended the streak. Get Tyrod and and Gilmore locked up and we have a great foundation going forward.

Rapaport is at SJF today and on WGR live

@jeremywgr

On Tyrod contract, @RapSheet tells us that both sides seem to be digging in to get it done.

not sure how i feel about this honestly.

I have no idea how to GM an NFL team. But i would not be trying to get bargain now and take the risk he plateaus or gets injured early.

I would rather wait at least till mid season and then pay him all the ducats he wants. If he truly is The Bills future

Here's to hoping he doesn't Fitz us.

HA!

No sht

i don't think he will. But we have been Fitzed before

Wouldn't be prudent.

:lol:

I never can decide who i want to be when i grow up.

so i will just balance along the fencepost.

Its good exercise too !

It really is cool to hear player after player recognizing, and embracing the Buffalo fan's patience, passion and desire for a another great team. I think that truly means something to a lot of these guys. I don't follow other teams - maybe players on other teams say the same thing, but our current team is filled with passionate players that want to bring a championship to the city of Buffalo, for the fans. Pretty cool.

I approve of this post wholeheartedly.

well done my friend

simply said? Pretty cool , indeed.

I approve of this post wholeheartedly.

well done my friend

simply said? Pretty cool , indeed.

Hearing the same type of thing from Reggie Bush today was pretty cool too. Said he's here cause he thinks there's a chance to do something special for the staff and the fans. I know it may seem like fluff but I appreciated the bone thrown to us and having an outsider appreciate that indeed it will be special around here if we can just get over the !@#$ing hump.

Hearing the same type of thing from Reggie Bush today was pretty cool too. Said he's here cause he thinks there's a chance to do something special for the staff and the fans. I know it may seem like fluff but I appreciated the bone thrown to us and having an outsider appreciate that indeed it will be special around here if we can just get over the !@#$ing hump.

Represents a unified vision.

They say the Cart rolls best when all the horses are pulling in the same direction. yep, thats what they say

I know a few of you still follow this guy (I do).

Joe Chenelly ‏@jchenelly 21m21 minutes ago

There's a lot of confidence w/in @buffalobills org that @TyrodTaylor will sign extension before 1st preseason game. #Bills #BillsMafia

1 retweet 4 likes

He has had inside info in the past...

Dude has great info, but he clogs up my Bills feed with veterans affairs issues/campaign fluff for Jim Webb.

Info makes it worth it 11.5 months of the year though!

Dude has great info, but he clogs up my Bills feed with veterans affairs issues/campaign fluff for Jim Webb.

Info makes it worth it 11.5 months of the year though!

you can mute "Jim Webb" and then you won't see those... I love the mute feature

you can mute "Jim Webb" and then you won't see those... I love the mute feature

the feed is a list feed through hootsuite. i don't think that option is available in their interface. sounds glorious, though, since a spam account selling bill tchotchkes on ebay pretty much obliterates a #BillsMafia feed...