Problems @ ESPN

I posted this as a reply in another thread but thought it'd be worth discussing separately.

I read an article about ESPN's problems almost a year ago. By the end of last year Disney (ESPN's parent company) was one of the most shorted stocks on the NYSE. It is all due to ESPN dragging it down as the Disney business is doing very well. It is why ESPN nixed their new, big, expensive NYC studio and office project. It is also why they've been letting their expensive personalities walk. Cost cutting is severe and ongoing. The situation is basically this:

- ESPN has spent a lot of money on long term sporting event contracts. That includes dramatically overpaying for their NFL contract and several expensive college contracts. The strategy was to make ESPN indispensable to sports fans.

- ESPN has used this leverage to charge quite a lot for their channels. That's not just profit as the above has driven their expenses through the roof. The flagship station is the most expensive non-premium station on cable/dish. Collectively their stations are a disproportionately huge part of your cable/dish bill.

- In 2014 ESPN cost cable providers (not customers) $6.04/month. The median price of a station was 14¢. 2018 estimates are that ESPN will cost $8.37/month. http://blogs.wsj.com/numbers/how-much-cable-subscribers-pay-per-channel-1626/

- The expense is pretty reasonable if you love sports, but sucks if you don't. And most people don't. Many of those people - along with those who can't afford the ever growing cable bills - are cutting the cord.

- ESPN is retaining most of the people who love sports, but they've lost some of them along with a lot of casual viewers

- Fewer cable subscribers sends less direct revenue to ESPN and fewer viewers equates to less advertising revenue.

The cycle of revenue loss leading to cost cutting is continuing as more and more people cut the cord. But those expensive long-term contracts ESPN signed are still in place and they are dragging the network under. Soon there won't be much more to cut. ESPN is already becoming the network of "hot takes" because they've cut out so much of their more expensive good programming. As a sports lover I can say honestly that the only reason I haven't cut the cord is sports, but I really only care about games - college football and the NFL primarily. Something major is going to happen with ESPN and how sports programming reaches viewers in the coming few years. This could go a number of ways, but it has to change.

I'm sitting here wondering how this is affecting everyone else and how you are all reacting. Personally, if I could get NFL Sunday ticket a la carte I'd probably cut the cord. I might soon anyway. We pretty much just watch sports (80-90% football), FoodNetwork, HGTV, Comedy Central and regular network programming (ABC/NBC/CBS). We have Netflix and Prime and use those sometimes.

Edited by BarleyNY

ESPN, which started out as a fantastic idea, has devolved into a representation of everything that sucks with TV sports. It's now little more than a gossip station designed primarily for self promotion, with some badly over-produced games mixed in. It is by far the worst network for the NFL and awful for baseball compared to any local baseball network I've seen. Ditto for college football. SportsCenter and the rest of the blathering talking head shows have been unwatchable for years (I still miss the SportsReporters, which died with Dick Shaap).

I couldn't give a rat's ass if ESPN disappeared forever. In fact, it would probably be a good thing.

ESPN, which started out as a fantastic idea, has devolved into a representation of everything that sucks with TV sports. It's now little more than a gossip station designed primarily for self promotion, with some badly over-produced games mixed in. It is by far the worst network for the NFL and awful for baseball compared to any local baseball network I've seen. Ditto for college football. SportsCenter and the rest of the blathering talking head shows have been unwatchable for years (I still miss the SportsReporters, which died with Dick Shaap).

I couldn't give a rat's ass if ESPN disappeared forever. In fact, it would probably be a good thing.

I completely agree with your sentiment.

The only reason ESPN survived on cable is because it is bundled. If it was separated out ala cart it would have collapsed a long time ago. Several cable companies have talked about moving it to a Sports Tier and ESPN's parent company has strongly resisted.

The sole reason I have ESPN is for live sporting events. I couldn't care less about any of their other programming aside from the 30 for 30s. I spend way too much on TV but I enjoy the flexibility and it's not cost prohibitive for me. If I needed to tighten the purse strings I'd probably look to other areas such as my alcohol consumption.

I hardly watch TV anymore. Lack of time, mainly. And when I do watch, it's Netflix or HBO Go. I buy NHL Game Center Live and living in New England, with the Patriots always in prime time, they show the Bills on local TV a lot Sundays at 1.

As for ESPN, I do enjoy my access to WatchESPN which provides me with almost every UB football and basketball game. Otherwise I don't care. I don't watch MLB or the NBA. Don't care about college sports beyond UB. I get game highlights online.

From Bloomberg:

"ESPN has a rationale. Unlike the other networks, which have to share the fans’ attention on Sundays, ESPN owns Monday—a weeknight in prime time. Not surprisingly, Monday Night Football is the highest-rated show on cable television and the highest-rated show for young men on Mondays. ESPN’s current deal allows it possibly to air playoff games, which was not previously the case.

ESPN in now a strong position relative to the cable companies, which already pay the network an industry high of $6 monthly per subscriber. ESPN’s current deal with the NFL spans eight years, during which time its contracts with cable providers will come due for renewal. With its full slate of NFL games and its general heft, ESPN has been able to pass along its additional costs to the cable companies—which, in turn, pass them to the customer."

I cut the cord from Cable TV a couple years ago. With things like AppleTV, the only thing I pay for is internet, I watch everything streaming. You can get A LOT of TV content online these days and I always hated paying for channels I never watched. And there was never anything on. I don't miss it and am able to get Sunday Ticket MAX so I don't get miss the Bills games.

The sole reason I have ESPN is for live sporting events. I couldn't care less about any of their other programming aside from the 30 for 30s. I spend way too much on TV but I enjoy the flexibility and it's not cost prohibitive for me. If I needed to tighten the purse strings I'd probably look to other areas such as my alcohol consumption.

Ditto

This says it all. Glad to hear they are having trouble.

The only reason ESPN survived on cable is because it is bundled. If it was separated out ala cart it would have collapsed a long time ago. Several cable companies have talked about moving it to a Sports Tier and ESPN's parent company has strongly resisted.

I'm the exact opposite. I'd pay for it bundled, and cut out the rest of the crap I don't watch.

I only watch live sports on it. And there aren't nearly enough live sports to justify having it. They show baseball games like twice a week, and half the time they're yankee games which i would get on YES anyway (not a yankee fan...). Then there's the NBA, which they show a fair amount. I pay for it because its included in my cable, but if I could drop it and add even just the MLB channel or something instead, I would.

I don't really watch espn much anymore. If I do it's nfl live and whenever I see it in the guide it seems like it's 50/50 that it's even on. Root sports has local hockey games, nbcsn has soccer and I can get nfl games through the computer if I want to. I guess they're trying to simulate these forums by having everyone's opinion on these shows, but guys like Steven A smith are unwatchable for me.

The time for a la carte has come, let's get on with it.

Edited by 4BillsintheBurgh

I only watch live sports on it. And there aren't nearly enough live sports to justify having it. They show baseball games like twice a week, and half the time they're yankee games which i would get on YES anyway (not a yankee fan...). Then there's the NBA, which they show a fair amount. I pay for it because its included in my cable, but if I could drop it and add even just the MLB channel or something instead, I would.

ESPN has impacted the way sports is covered on television because other sports networks have to a large degree mimicked the silliness that is reflected by entertainment shtick.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

I cut the cord and don't miss ESPN at all. It has become, as you say overhyped and way too redundant. They should just get Kelly Ripa and Barbara Walters to do SC. ESPN is the canary in the coal mine. Once they are unable to pay the exorbitant fees for the NFL the bidding war becomes smaller and we will see more market correction across the board. As far as the ticket goes I got sick of shelling out 300+ to watch the Bills come up short.

The NFL has to expand to other markets or it will shrink also. Kids don't watch it like we did. There are just too many other options now, which brings me to LA. Inglewood won't be the golden goose Kroenke hopes for, but then again stadiums aren't the big revenue source for teams, just the icing now. And it all comes back to ESPN and TV. TV has ruined the game as a live experience and to me the game in general. The flow of action is broken up and disjointed by the commercials. The rise and fall of the Roman Empire. Ad revenue will drop and the downward spiral will continue. We have seen the high watermark on this one.

I just looked up today's programming line up for ESPN. From 12:00am to 12:00am...not a single sport to be seen. Hours upon hours of sports talk and highlights. ESPN is the same crap.

Why can't they figure it out. Show some GD sports. Like actual contests. ANY FREAKIN THING!

I just looked up today's programming line up for ESPN. From 12:00am to 12:00am...not a single sport to be seen. Hours upon hours of sports talk and highlights. ESPN is the same crap.

Why can't they figure it out. Show some GD sports. Like actual contests. ANY FREAKIN THING!

When ESPN started they used to broadcast stuff like Australian Rules Football late at night. That was a blast to watch. They'd be way better if they'd go back to that kind of thing rather than doubling down on Hot Takes!

When ESPN started they used to broadcast stuff like Australian Rules Football late at night. That was a blast to watch. They'd be way better if they'd go back to that kind of thing rather than doubling down on Hot Takes!

Australian Football, motor sports, cliff diving, anything but talk. C'mon man!

Yes I used to watch it and barely watch ESPN now.

ESPN bought the broadcast rights to ACC basketball, so ESPN plus NFL Sunday ticket and I get all my sports covered. They have done some cool specials like the 4 Falls of Buffalo, but the talk shows are lame.

Great post by the OP.

My thoughts:

1. I rarely watch ESPN unless they have a game on it that I have an interest in watching, which might be 1-3 times a year.

2. The only reason I have not cut the cord is because the local sports channel that carries the local MLB and Hockey team (Pirates/Penguins). If I could get that channel w/o cable, or watch those teams w/o cable, I would cut the cord tomorrow.

Hopefully MLB and NHL offer a streaming product so people can watch the teams of the cities where they reside.

I have Direct TV online version the past 2 years. It's a work in progress, but improved greatly from the 1st to 2nd year.

ESPN reminds me of MTV back in the day. It was great back when they only did music videos. Once it turned into 24 hour a day reality shows, it sucked. ESPN is the sports version of reality shows. They rarely show live sports, except the NBA, which is the only major sport that I don't watch. Even the talk shows seem to be more about hip-hop than sports.

I concur

Already cut the cord last year as cable became too expensive and doesnt allow me to pick and choose what channels I want to watch. Even Comcast that owns msnbc is irritating me that they dont do live streaming.

Agreed, great topic by the OP. I have the cut the cord. I am usually able to find a live stream somewhere on the webs, but occasionally I have trouble with streaming. I only use ESPN for college basketball. I have enjoyed Around the Horn and PTI but sportscenter has really gone downhill.

ESPN is failing because its just MSNBC with better visuals........

The New York Post noted that Oppenheim did not say that Berman would remain at ESPN, but only that he was not retiring. The Post suggests that the agent’s remarks “carries the whiff of a power struggle at the Worldwide Leader” and that they may “have grown weary of his over-the-top shtick.”

The network has also lost an enormous number of subscribers in recent years, making the possible high-profile departure perhaps a cost-cutting move.

Just like most things of this type, when they get too big they start to become institutional.

That true, but much like the government it's often a lot nicer to have them around to complain about (even with their myriad faults) than not around at all. I hate what ESPN has become, but they pay the NFL a lot of money. Here is a couple articles worth reading:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2014-08-27/why-espn-pays-four-times-more-for-nfl-games-than-nbc-cbs-and-fox

http://www.forbes.com/sites/sportsmoney/2011/12/17/billions-of-dollars-through-tv-deals-coupled-with-cba-means-huge-windfall-for-nfl-players/#c34f1a0224d7

So here is the basic issue:

- ESPN's (stupid) contract with the NFL pays an average of $1.9B per season.

- The CBA guarantees the players 55% of national TV revenues (maybe their only concession this time around).

- That works out to about $32.6M per team per season on average toward the salary cap. That's for the length of the contract.

- ESPN pays over 4 times what other networks pay per viewer for NFL games. If they paid the going rate, each team's salary cap would be reduced by over $24M per season (on average).

I don't see ESPN folding, but I could see them filing Chapter 11 at some point to get out of this and other deals. The NFL could sell those rights to some other network, but probably at a much lower price. The NFL has been growing at an amazing pace. The salary cap was growing by 8% on average - and that was before this year's big jump. I just don't think that kind of growth is sustainable under current operating practices. The NFL isn't going to want to see a shockwave of a cap (and profit) reduction come through and they'd definitely try to stave that off, but I'd wonder how. International games or teams are very possible. So is an extended season. Pay per view maybe, but that has to coexist withor replace DirectTV's deal. Heck, they could put advertising on jerseys. I don't know, but I do expect to see them get creative in regards to increasing revenue.

Great post by the OP.

My thoughts:

1. I rarely watch ESPN unless they have a game on it that I have an interest in watching, which might be 1-3 times a year.

2. The only reason I have not cut the cord is because the local sports channel that carries the local MLB and Hockey team (Pirates/Penguins). If I could get that channel w/o cable, or watch those teams w/o cable, I would cut the cord tomorrow.

Hopefully MLB and NHL offer a streaming product so people can watch the teams of the cities where they reside.

I have Direct TV online version the past 2 years. It's a work in progress, but improved greatly from the 1st to 2nd year.

Thank you. If I watch ESPN it's to catch a game or highlights usually. If I'm driving I'll listen to Mike and Mike or whatever is on sometimes. Or more often the NFLN station. I have Sirius.

I'm thinking that NFL Replay might be the way to go. I didn't get it last year cause they really raised the price. But I can watch replays of every game, including the ones where all the filler between snaps is cut out. Plus All 22s are available.

I had a sick feeling when I heard Disney bought espn a few years ago. It's now been confirmed - that WAS the death knell.

I only watch espn for games I want to see (Bills, Pirates, Bandits (indoor laX), Sabres/hockey news which has all but disappeared and 30 for 30 if the topic is of interest. The rest of it is crap.

I have ESPN for NCAA Football and the NFL games. If it weren't for those two I would have clipped cable as well. Plus my kids still "have to have" all of their Nickelodeon and Cartoon channels at the age they are now. I have Netflix for movies and 5 RedBox locations within a 3 mile radius. Cable could be very expendable in a few years.

What live sports do you imagine could be televised all day every day?

It's a 24 sports network, they have to fill 24 hours with content. Live sport never have and never will fill that 24 hour period.

Australian Football, motor sports, cliff diving, anything but talk. C'mon man!

NBCSN has your number...

What live sports do you imagine could be televised all day every day?

It's a 24 sports network, they have to fill 24 hours with content. Live sport never have and never will fill that 24 hour period.

NBCSN has your number...

Ah wrong there is always some race, soccer game, cricket, baseball, hockey game even basketball going on somewhere in the world and vid has become a lot cheaper. Edited by North Buffalo

USFL too.

:lol:

I just moved into an apartment and opted for just the Wifi. Do not miss cable at all. If I really want to watch a baseball game or football game thats on, I'll go to a bar. But unless the Bills are on, I dont really watch any sports