MMQB: Rex + Rob: The Battling (and Babbling) Buffalo Bros

I can't stand negative people either -- at home, work, TBD, or the Buffalo media.

In my view: Negativity breeds negativity.

There is a difference between being a realist and someone who simply wants to push a negative agenda.

:thumbsup: Hit the nail on the head. I grew up on sports....a lot of them, and there is no room for negativity in the game. It's all about believing. You set a goal. You go after it. You imagine yourself doing what you could never do before and work toward that end. Negativity in sports is a cancer that grows and destroys your resolve. Sorry, but I never would have broken our H.S. track team's 400 hurdles record at 54.6 seconds or run a mile in less than 4mins 30secs if I did anything other than believe. This is true of any sport. Gotta have that mindset.

Trash talkers love to harp on what you can't do, until you actually do it. Wouldn't have it any other way though. That's the whole reason I love the game. The challenge drove me. As a fan, it inspires me.

Even now at age 52, I still love a challenge. Don't have the speed I used to but I toss a mean horseshoe. :lol:

Edited by Rockinon

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I get your point

THe talking doesnt really bother me as long as they back it up

There is no football being played.....reporters are asking them questions.

Is this really a big deal?

When was the last time Rex or his twin "backed it up"?

Anyway, none of this latest Rob Ryan trash talk of the Saints is new. He was quick to claim the same stuff right after he was fired. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/11/22/rob-ryan-everything-in-new-orleans-was-blamed-on-me/:

"Ryan’s firing came after his porous unit was shredded by the Redskins in Week 10 — “they made my bye week turn into a bye-bye week” — and the voluble coach conceded that “something had to be done” because the defense “ranked 33rd in the league and there are only 32 teams.”

Despite that concession and the continued failings of the defense, Ryan followed familial tradition by finding a colorful way to say he was taking too much blame and that he’ll return to the sideline in the future."

And then after the Cowboys fired him, he said this http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story/_/id/8826772/rob-ryan-fired-dallas-cowboys-defensive-coordinator:

"I inherited a team that was 31st in the league in defense and made them better," Ryan told ESPNDallas.com's Tim MacMahon. "I (expletive) made them a hell of a lot better. I'll be out of work for like five minutes."

And then this after he was fired by the Browns: http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4701493/the-whole-truth-rob-ryan-has-beef-with-browns:

"The Browns fired Ryan along with head coach Eric Mangini a couple of years ago. While Ryan has fondness for several players on the Browns’ roster, he’s bitter toward the franchise.

“Absolutely. I spent a lot of time in those offices, too,” Ryan said. “In fact, I slept in them for seven straight weeks when I said, ‘Hey, I’m not going home until we win a game.’ I’ll never say that again. ...

“Any time you pour everything you have into it and apparently management didn’t see it as if it was good enough, of course it’s personal.”

This is just more of the usual, just like Rex.

Edited by Mr. WEO

I was literally just yesterday going to start a thread saying I don't like the way Rex is acting - really since he got to Buffalo. It seems that he's been trying to be too nice. I like the boisterous Rex and I haven't seen it yet - not the way it was. It almost seemed like that last year with the Jets made him feel he had to change his persona. So he kind of did a little bit of chest pounding but it didn't have that fire. I think it effected the team.

I think Rex tried to mix his personality with what he thought a new team / fan base wanted him to be. I think he thought he should be a toned down version of what he was with the Jets. Well for me that isn't true - I hope the hiring of Rob and this interview is an indication that he's reverting back. I want him to be himself whether that works out or not.

I would prefer less hot air. It's one thing to be confident but you look like a fool when you talk trash and KNOW you can't back it up. It's like that journeyman fighter who says he gona beat the champ and don't count him out etc., etc. and then gets crushed like he and everyone else knew he would.

Excuses... Finger pointing..... New promises... I always used to think these two were just a bunch of hot air and bluster, but that interview makes me think they actually might be delusional twin idiots

well they have faith

Although it impacts conditions for sure, a tire fire is not technically weather.

there is a hurricane coming!!!

I would prefer less hot air. It's one thing to be confident but you look like a fool when you talk trash and KNOW you can't back it up. It's like that journeyman fighter who says he gona beat the champ and don't count him out etc., etc. and then gets crushed like he and everyone else knew he would.

well they have faith

You can take that to the banc. :lol:

well they have faith

Ryanado

So, who do you believe - Sean or Rob ?

As I have shown you already, Rob says the same stuff after each team fires him.

The undisciplined and sloppy way that D played and given that Rob Ryan is a serially fired QB and Payton is still a HC at NO, why would you chose to believe Ryan?

I have always been a "shared accountability" proponent. Whether it's Mario sharing accountability for the Bills issues on the DL, or now, for Rob Ryan sharing accountability for the Saints D. Yes, I'm sure there were other factors involved in it sucking other than him. Own it. Move on. Mario never owned it his part. So far - neither has Rob. Egos are a given. But if you are going to call others out, at least own your share.

I realize these things are complicated. But it's ok to turn the page and strive for better.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Works both ways. Simple can work, multiple can work.

Seattle has an all pro secondary - allows you to play majority man. They also have underrated pass rushers and remain healthy somehow every year.

Wade Phillips has the best 2 edge rushers in the nfl, and had the best front 7 in the nfl. Also had a solid secondary... We'll see how they do now that several of those players are gone (trevathan and jackson namely).

Rob lost Galette because they paid Jordan, and had a healthy EXPENSIVE safety who wouldn't play... They lost a corner to IR and clearly had 0 depth since whoever was out there was always leaving people open.

this comment should not be discounted.

I have always been a "shared accountability" proponent. Whether it's Mario sharing accountability for the Bills issues on the DL, or now, for Rob Ryan sharing accountability for the Saints D. Yes, I'm sure there were other factors involved in it sucking other than him. Own it. Move on. Mario never owned it his part. So far - neither has Rob. Egos are a given. But if you are going to call others out, at least own your share.

I realize these things are complicated. But it's ok to turn the page and strive for better.

+1

That was a great read. I'm less concerned now about the Rob hiring, football wise.

Though, I am still concerned about Rob's weight. Right now.. he looks like dead man walking. Maybe the Buffalo Medical corridor will fix it.

LOL... you know the NOLA medical community isn't fixing fat.

Payton said this morning on PFT Live that the defense in New Orleans — which set an NFL record for the most touchdown passes allowed in a season — was Rob Ryan’s defense.

Payton said the Saints’ defense repeatedly struggled with fundamentals like getting the right calls and the right players on the field.

“When you’re struggling as bad as we’re struggling for two years, and some of the same problems keep coming up — you know, 10 guys on the field — those are things that just are hard to live with,” Payton said.

Edited by ALF

I couldn't get through the article. There's only so much I can handle of someone telling me how great they are. I understand that some people have big egos and that some people like to talk a lot, but it seems to me that if you're so great then it'll be easy for most people to see. You won't need to talk about it yourself because everyone else will take care of that for you. If it's true.

So, who do you believe - Sean or Rob ?

Rob, Most coaches are politicians and say what is in their best interest. The Ryans are too honest say what they believe whether right or wrong.

That was a great read. I'm less concerned now about the Rob hiring, football wise.

Though, I am still concerned about Rob's weight. Right now.. he looks like dead man walking. Maybe the Buffalo Medical corridor will fix it.

LOL... you know the NOLA medical community isn't fixing fat.

Why do you say that?

You're looking at it wrong from Rex's point of view. He thinks he's been great and that his record speaks for itself. If you want to debate that - that's fine. He feels he's earned the right to talk bold. No coach gets a unit to play elite every year they coach. Belichick is a defensive guy and he's defenses have sucked at times too. Rex thinks he's a great defensive coach - with the fluidity of teams personal it's hard to say he's definitely wrong. So I say do your thing - be you. As the head coach of the team I love - I'd rather he does that than do it half way and not give himself an opportunity to do it his way.

2016 will be one of 4 results whittled down to 2 responses.

a) we didn't suck as bad as the nnn's said, we finished right in the middle, tough year because [injury, buy in, scapegoat, cosmic radiation]

b) we sucked because its 2 years and we have not see one bit of improvement on defense because [rex sucks, whaley can't find us players, the offense].

or

a) we finished better than last year (even if by 1 game) so we are getting better!

b) we did not make the playoffs / / show actual improvement / / finish in a way that showed we were any better - we still lost to baltimore by 1 point due to poor prep, san fran and los angeles due to no prep and taking time off to go bowling.

either way, these threads are getting awesome. and tiresome. everyone here knows my opinion. rex is a clown. rob ryan is the clown that gets to drive the clown car because he has no talent. and they're going to continue their circus here in buffalo. when they're done here, please kiss my ring.

2016 will be one of 4 results whittled down to 2 responses.

a) we didn't suck as bad as the nnn's said, we finished right in the middle, tough year because [injury, buy in, scapegoat, cosmic radiation]

b) we sucked because its 2 years and we have not see one bit of improvement on defense because [rex sucks, whaley can't find us players, the offense].

or

a) we finished better than last year (even if by 1 game) so we are getting better!

b) we did not make the playoffs / / show actual improvement / / finish in a way that showed we were any better - we still lost to baltimore by 1 point due to poor prep, san fran and los angeles due to no prep and taking time off to go bowling.

either way, these threads are getting awesome. and tiresome. everyone here knows my opinion. rex is a clown. rob ryan is the clown that gets to drive the clown car because he has no talent. and they're going to continue their circus here in buffalo. when they're done here, please kiss my ring.

lol

I read the whole article. And so far, without reading any of the opinions of my fellow posters here first... I want to share my unbiased opinion. I want Rex to be the head coach for a very long time. I love him. I love his passion, his loyalty and I KNOW his defenses will be nasty - not counting this past years. I am not going to worry about the way this defense shapes up for the 2016 season, because I am confident it will be fine. Go Bills! Go Rex!

You're looking at it wrong from Rex's point of view. He thinks he's been great and that his record speaks for itself. If you want to debate that - that's fine. He feels he's earned the right to talk bold. No coach gets a unit to play elite every year they coach. Belichick is a defensive guy and he's defenses have sucked at times too. Rex thinks he's a great defensive coach - with the fluidity of teams personal it's hard to say he's definitely wrong. So I say do your thing - be you. As the head coach of the team I love - I'd rather he does that than do it half way and not give himself an opportunity to do it his way.

that is probably true but I guess then I prefer a coach that doesn't.

I like the way Interm HC Dan Campbell came off last yr, confident but not cocky, curious to see if he gets another shot.

They are "all In!" Win, lose or draw they are gonna fight ya. Given "system guys" they might pull it off. Ask Coach Reed. Ragland could be the next Ray Lewis Doubtful and Washington/Ngata NO WAY?

Can someone who understands x's and o's more than I do please explain what Rob Ryan was talking about re: Jarius Byrd:

ROB: I think everything starts with the head coach and goes higher than that. They signed players; they signed a free-agent free safety [Jairus Byrd in 2014], and said, we are going to keep him in the middle of the field like the goalpost. Well, that’s great. He’s not going to make one play back there, and now we have changed the entire defense for one signing, and it ruined us. He’s a great kid. But the truth of the matter is, you let an All-Pro safety walk, Malcolm Jenkins, and lost your two best leaders on the team, him and Roman Harper. We changed the entire style of play. It was strange.

I love how Rob says they're going to beat Belichick because it's "two against one" LOL. Reminds my of those clips from the 70's where Andre The Giant manhandles two other wrestlers in a "handicap" match. Good luck with that boys.

I love how Rob says they're going to beat Belichick because it's "two against one" LOL. Reminds my of those clips from the 70's where Andre The Giant manhandles two other wrestlers in a "handicap" match. Good luck with that boys.

More like this:

andremidgets.jpg

I think what we are already starting to see is the defense is starting to "take it personally" as well...from the reports at OTA's it is night and day difference from last year with how comfortable they are in the system...

Hmm...I wonder who Rex is referring to with this quote:

"I don’t know if we have 100 percent buy-in from even the entire building. I don’t know yet. "

Edited by matter2003

I think what we are already starting to see is the defense is starting to "take it personally" as well...from the reports at OTA's it is night and day difference from last year with how comfortable they are in the system...

Hmm...I wonder who Rex is referring to with this quote:

"I dont know if we have 100 percent buy-in from even the entire building. I dont know yet. "

i think he's referring to the marketing guy who is still pissed about not being told that Fred was getting cut Edited by YoloinOhio

He should just kowtow to the Patriots and tell his guys to give up and shoot for second place. Yeah, that's better.

I know what you're saying Promo, but these guys don't learn. I know you remember last year when they talked it up before week 2. Brady said "ok, we'll be there" And he did show up. To the tune of 8000 yards passing. Some people don't like cocky when they deliver. Everyone hates cocky when they can't deliver