Mario to sign with Miami? [UPDATE: Signed]

boater

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I said in the other thread... at $8mil / year, what do you think the Bills were offering before they cut him? He had indicated he'd consider a discount to stay.

That was all a PR move... He wasn't considering anything.

Edited by Beef Jerky

ha

If he's signing this quickly, looks like there wasn't a lot of interest out there

Right his agent said he would sign with the first team to offer him 10 million per, now he is back with his first dance partner working on something in the 8 million range. His former defensive coordinator didn't even blink at him...Jags and Raiders have a ton of money to spend and neither have even been rumored to be interested.

Giants took a one handed JPP over him. I'm glad he isn't getting any overwhelming offers, too many players bust their backside for peanuts. Then we have a half hearted mercenary cashing powerball checks. Good riddance!! I hope we run a few power running plays right over him.

@PFF_NateJahnke

Mario Williams had a pressure on 1 in every 13.7 pass rushes last year; 5th worst for 4-3 DEs. Vernon 1 in every 6.1 4th best. Wake 1 in 7.3

Good stat find.

The following Q is: was his lack of pressure due to motivation issues, or declining ability?

A holistic view of his career suggests motivation issues.

Bruce Smith could take him to the woodshed and transform him from primma donna to HoF athlete.

As I said in the other thread... at $8mil / year, what do you think the Bills were offering before they cut him? He had indicated he'd consider a discount to stay.

There is no way he would have agreed to a 50% pay cut to stay in Buffalo. These guys have too much pride for that.

Right his agent said he would sign with the first team to offer him 10 million per, now he is back with his first dance partner working on something in the 8 million range. His former defensive coordinator didn't even blink at him...Jags and Raiders have a ton of money to spend and neither have even been rumored to be interested.

Giants took a one handed JPP over him. I'm glad he isn't getting any overwhelming offers, too many players bust their backside for peanuts. Then we have a half hearted mercenary cashing powerball checks. Good riddance!! I hope we run a few power running plays right over him.

The market for his services just isn't as big as some thought.

Tape don't lie and personnel people talk to personnel people.

GO BILLS!!!

Agreed.

But would it shock you to see Mario with 8 to 10 sacks next year?

The tape don't lie is right and the tape shows everyone on our defensive line's production being down.

Not at all. The man is one of the best when he feels like being one of the best.

As to the tape, yeah, it shows Ryan left a lot to be desired with some of his schematics. But I still see every other Dlineman getting off the ball and trying, regardless of the results. Mario made up his mind about the results before the snap.

GO BILLS!!!

My guess is that the Dolphins insert language in the contract that would allow them to get out of the contract after the first year to protect themselves (regardless of what his agent or others release as the total $$$ in the contract).

If not, the Dolphins are stupid.

Also, I would much rather face a Dolphin team with Mario than with Olivier Vernon. The Dolphins have gotten worse.

There is no way he would have agreed to a 50% pay cut to stay in Buffalo. These guys have too much pride for that.

There is no way they were going to make an offer for him to stay. That train left the station when they resigned Dareus and Hughes to big bucks last year. Given the cap situation, which they of course knew would be the case after last year, Mario was going to be gone. He just made it easier with his sub par play.

My guess is that the Dolphins insert language in the contract that would allow them to get out of the contract after the first year to protect themselves (regardless of what his agent or others release as the total $$$ in the contract).

If not, the Dolphins are stupid.

Also, I would much rather face a Dolphin team with Mario than with Olivier Vernon. The Dolphins have gotten worse.

Agree with this.

I've never seen a player totally quit on his team/fans as badly as Mario did.

I hope Whaley and the coaches didn't consider for a moment to bring him back. A teammate like that is nothing but a cancer.

That said... he's probably going to be a beast whenever we face him. (Does anyone remember is he stepped up his effort when he faced Houston?)

What is your point?

That 8 or more sacks is not a feat. 26 guys that is almost one guy on every team...sure he could get 8 sacks. I doubt it though.

Now you can go into the fact that no one on the Bills had 8 or more sacks. Surprise surprise we implemented a new system that didn't mesh with the talent we had. Let's hope this year goes better. Mario certainly didn't help his numbers or anyone else by playing patty cake with RT's and TE's.

No question.

He was a kitty about it.

I've never seen a player totally quit on his team/fans as badly as Mario did.

I hope Whaley and the coaches didn't consider for a moment to bring him back. A teammate like that is nothing but a cancer.

That said... he's probably going to be a beast whenever we face him. (Does anyone remember is he stepped up his effort when he faced Houston?)

He showed well in the games against the Texans. But he wasn't some un-Godly terror on the field, either. 1.5 sacks, 7 tackles in the two games he played against them.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

The hot takes!

@albertbreer

One ex-Bills teammate said Mario Williams' effort was "Bad. Ask the Jets, they were talking about it before we played them."

@priscoCBS

He will be healthy after his year off.

Edited by YoloinOhio

@albertbreer

One ex-Bills teammate said Mario Williams' effort was "Bad. Ask the Jets, they were talking about it before we played them."

@priscoCBS

He will be healthy after his year off.

pete has a sense of humor it seems ; )

@sharpfootball

No team has spent more in free agency the last 4 yrs than the Dolphins. Records:

6-10 '15

8-8 '14

8-8 '13

7-9 '12

They got Maxwell, Kiko and Mario...they are going to lose Vernon, Miller, Grimes and Stills. That's a pretty bad start to 16' and they also lost draft position in the 1st round and possible a mid round pick?

I'd be smashing plastic tables if I was a Dolphins fan today.

Dolphins fans will see the famous Mariocre two steps, where he takes two steps quickly as if he's going to try hard and make a play, then stop.

It's a shame, for a guy who has that build and athleticism, he should be having 15-20 sacks every year. The guy only plays when he feels like it.