Mario to sign with Miami? [UPDATE: Signed]

boater

I don't think mario/bills is about him wanting one last payday vs taking a pay cut. He got cut, he didn't leave in FA. I don't believe the Bills wanted him on the team at 19, 10, 8 or 5 million. The huge salary and cap hit was one reason but not the only reason. If they wanted him back they would have offered an extension to lower the cap hit. If he refused and wanted to be cut instead that's a different story. I don't think they bothered making him any kind of offer, because they no longer wanted him on the team.

Edited by YoloinOhio

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mario has made plenty of money in his career after 10 seasons. Many veterans begin to think of opportunities to win a championship in the late stages of their careers. You'd think that would be a motivator for Mario given that he has not even appeared in a playoff game.

Why?

I don't pretend to know what motivates any of these athletes. Many vets look for rings, some want to retire with their original teams, some look to maximize their earnings. Some just want to keep playing and will go anywhere there's a spot to compete. Which championship contender was knocking on Mario's door? Who did he turn down in order to wear the puke green and menstrual orange? I didn't see any rumors linking him to a legit contender.

I think its a silly criticism as it makes most of his hypocrites and has broader implications. KW isn't chasing rings and seems content to stay in Buffalo. Hes never sniffed the playoffs either. Do we question his motivations?

Why?

I don't pretend to know what motivates any of these athletes. Many vets look for rings, some want to retire with their original teams, some look to maximize their earnings. Some just want to keep playing and will go anywhere there's a spot to compete. Which championship contender was knocking on Mario's door? Who did he turn down in order to wear the puke green and menstrual orange? I didn't see any rumors linking him to a legit contender.

I think its a silly criticism as it makes most of his hypocrites and has broader implications. KW isn't chasing rings and seems content to stay in Buffalo. Hes never sniffed the playoffs either. Do we question his motivations?

Kyle has never given anyone reason to.

Why?

Nothing silly about it when an individual has shown himself to be primarily self interested in a team sport.

Ding!

By the logic applied to Mario's decision to take his talents to south beach, he sure has. KW is content to cash paychecks and stay in lowly Buffalo rather than compete for a championship. Hes made enough money over his career and never sniffed the playoffs. Why isn't he chasing rings?

Why?

I think you answered your own question by asking what motivates a player in the ultimate team sport. There's probably a reason why Mario didn't get calls from winning programs after he got cut, and by contrast, Freddie was contacted by two SB participants within an hour of his release.

By the logic applied to Mario's decision to take his talents to south beach, he sure has. KW is content to cash paychecks and stay in lowly Buffalo rather than compete for a championship. Hes made enough money over his career and never sniffed the playoffs. Why isn't he chasing rings?

He is and his effort shows that.

This is such a fallacy.

Mario gave up because he hated the new defensive system. Not saying it's right but he clearly disagreed with what was being asked of him.

We lost ton of games from 2012-2014, I didn't see him give up then.

No. Mario gave up because it is in him to give up. Several players hated the system and didn't give up. Attitude is a personal choice, regardless of how you feel about the environment.

GO BILLS!!!

I think you answered your own question by asking what motivates a player in the ultimate team sport. There's probably a reason why Mario didn't get calls from winning programs after he got cut, and by contrast, Freddie was contacted by two SB participants within an hour of his release.

That's a distinct possibility. So why do you want to blast the guy for not taking those offers that he probably didn't get?

That's a distinct possibility. So why do you want to blast the guy for not taking those offers that he probably didn't get?

If he lived up to the immense talent he was blessed with a 100% commitment, he could have been flooded with calls from contending teams.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

I'm blasting him for the pi$$ poor effort last year that led to him not getting the calls from winning programs, doubled by the callout that he'll sign on the dot with the first team that offered him $10 million.

Mario would have people think that he was playing cornerback last year. The tape does not lie Mario.

P.S. It is also fascinating that Jim Schwartz did not appear to make any effort to have the Eagles sign Mario. One could say that, by not making any effort, Schwartz pulled a Mario.

Edited by Peter

Mario would have people think that he was playing cornerback last year. The tape does not lie Mario.

P.S. It is also fascinating that Jim Schwartz did not appear to make any effort to have the Eagles sign Mario. One could say that, by not making any effort, Schwartz pulled a Mario.

Is this gonna be the new horse to beat? Between these jokes and the Marrone jokes, the corpse of Pryor is rolling over.

Is this gonna be the new horse to beat? Between these jokes and the Marrone jokes, the corpse of Pryor is rolling over.

Speaking of "horses to beat," let's count the number of posts that you have written about Rex . . . .

Are you serious. Marrone jokes will never get old.

I bought some fancy ink for my printer so Doug's diary can live in paperback form.

If he lived up to the immense talent he was blessed with a 100% commitment, he could have been flooded with calls from contending teams.

Agreed.

I'm blasting him for the pi$$ poor effort last year that led to him not getting the calls from winning programs, doubled by the callout that he'll sign on the dot with the first team that offered him $10 million.

Well if he's not getting calls from winning programs should he sign with some scrub for the lowest he can get? I'm confused by this concept.

I get that as fans we value players who put the team first and play for the uniform. Our interests are not directly aligned with the players. Its hard to accept, apparently, but football is Mario's job. I do my job for top dollar. I'm not taking a pay cut to go work for the top firm in my field unless I think its more profitable long term. I'm not taking a pay cut to help my firm compete on price with our competitors. I'm 100% self interested when it comes to my profession.

I do not hold football players to a higher standard than I hold myself.

Agreed.

Well if he's not getting calls from winning programs should he sign with some scrub for the lowest he can get? I'm confused by this concept.

I get that as fans we value players who put the team first and play for the uniform. Our interests are not directly aligned with the players. Its hard to accept, apparently, but football is Mario's job. I do my job for top dollar. I'm not taking a pay cut to go work for the top firm in my field unless I think its more profitable long term. I'm not taking a pay cut to help my firm compete on price with our competitors. I'm 100% self interested when it comes to my profession.

I do not hold football players to a higher standard than I hold myself.

I really think this is a poor metaphor. In your job does your company compete for "championships" that result in accolades for the entire organization and represent a rare level of achievement? Do competitors of yours walk around showing you their "rings" from making the most sales for the year (or whatever you do)?

Professional sports are different.

Are you serious. Marrone jokes will never get old.

I bought some fancy ink for my printer so Doug's diary can live in paperback form.

Marrone jokes are like the crying Jordan face on Twitter. Never will get old.

Well said guys.

+1

I really think this is a poor metaphor. In your job does your company compete for "championships" that result in accolades for the entire organization and represent a rare level of achievement? Do competitors of yours walk around showing you their "rings" from making the most sales for the year (or whatever you do)?

Professional sports are different.

No, they aren't. There are differences between any profession, but at its core professional sports are a business.

You're biased. You think athletes should be focused on team achievement and legacy. Maybe you think Hollywood stars should only be focused on making films which shape society and bring home Oscars. At the end of the day, some may be concerned with legacy, but most are making a living. I bet you get that concept when applied to the second stringers. If a Garrison Sanborn signs with the Jags for a million more a year than we're offering, we don't question why he didn't take a pay cut to team up with Ryan Allen and the Pats to bring home a ring. Stars players are people too.

You can hold them to a higher standard than yourself and tell them about what should matter to them and where their priorities should be but it won't change the reality of the business. If it was only about the hardware and the glory we wouldn't have to pay these guys to bust their heads on Sundays.

No, they aren't. There are differences between any profession, but at its core professional sports are a business.

You're biased. You think athletes should be focused on team achievement and legacy. Maybe you think Hollywood stars should only be focused on making films which shape society and bring home Oscars. At the end of the day, some may be concerned with legacy, but most are making a living. I bet you get that concept when applied to the second stringers. If a Garrison Sanborn signs with the Jags for a million more a year than we're offering, we don't question why he didn't take a pay cut to team up with Ryan Allen and the Pats to bring home a ring. Stars players are people too.

You can hold them to a higher standard than yourself and tell them about what should matter to them and where their priorities should be but it won't change the reality of the business. If it was only about the hardware and the glory we wouldn't have to pay these guys to bust their heads on Sundays.

You're making it out to be all or nothing. It can be one way for the stars, and another for the "just happy to be here" guys. I'm always in support of professional athletes making as much money as they can due to their limited shelf life. Mario doesn't fit that category. He's made enough money -- there is absolutely no disputing that. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

You're making it out to be all or nothing. It can be one way for the stars, and another for the "just happy to be here" guys. I'm always in support of professional athletes making as much money as they can due to their limited shelf life. Mario doesn't fit that category. He's made enough money -- there is absolutely no disputing that. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

I'm not. You are telling me what Mario should care about. What should motivate him and other players. Furthermore, you're opining on how much money a person can make before their priorities should shift. I make no such representations. I am not judging men for taking a paycheck.

I'm not. You are telling me what Mario should care about. What should motivate him and other players. Furthermore, you're opining on how much money a person can make before their priorities should shift. I make no such representations. I am not judging men for taking a paycheck.

I'm not saying what Mario should care about; I'm saying it's clear what he does care about, and that makes him very different from many superstars who have already lined their pockets with millions and millions of dollars and find value in playing for something more.

There is no reasonable argument a person can make that Mario Williams still "needs" to make as much money as he can in the NFL.

And of course we can judge men by their actions.

I still wonder why Mario turned it off.

This boggles my mind.

I don't like my job very much. I had to switch positions due to downsizing and landed out side my skillset and comfort zone.

But i still did the best i could everyday.

If i wanted to just B word or was truly unhappy i could leave. But until i did find another job i would still work hard, be on time and maintain pride in my work.

something really pissed this guy off.

And i am quite sure it is not so simple as dropping into coverage. I am very sure of that. Nor is it theoretical scheme.

Somebody important got in his face, because Mario put in alot of effort to NOT try.

The difference is its not same ground retread over and over in an unsuccessful attempt to be funny.

Humor is in the eye of the beholder.

You have something in common with my wife and kids who (much of the time) do not "appreciate" my humor. I love them so your not appreciating my "humor" does not disqualify you in any regard.

As for your Rex material . . . it got old a long, long time ago.

P.S. Anyone who goes by "FireChan" cannot be particularly adverse to beating a dead horse given that Chan was the HC a couple of coaches ago.

Edited by Peter

I'm not saying what Mario should care about; I'm saying it's clear what he does care about, and that makes him very different from many superstars who have already lined their pockets with millions and millions of dollars and find value in playing for something more.

There is no reasonable argument a person can make that Mario Williams still "needs" to make as much money as he can in the NFL.

And of course we can judge men by their actions.

There's a very clear value judgment that you're making. Deny it if you wish (and admit it 3 sentences later), but its evident. You believe that Mario should care more about jewelry than cash. Else there would be nothing to judge.

I don't tell the McD's worker that he should be concerned with elevating fried potatoes, nor do I criticize lawyers for going into corporate law rather than working for the Innocence Project, or beat myself up for not striving for transformative change in the financial services industry (whatever that would look like). I also don't bash athletes for looking out for themselves. Consistency is a beautiful thing.

There are more intangibles in sports than their is in business. But you do see this all the time in business, see Google. My sister also takes a pay cut to work for the DCCC, I do CDC (community dev) because it makes me feel good. These are intangibles, that intrinsically do in fact have a dollar amount correlated to them. Career advancement in sport is the same as going to the super bowl, it is indeed career advancement, goals, and aspirations.

Actors are a terrible example. They take pay cuts all the time to work on Woody Allen, Martin Scorcese, and Tarantino movies, and sometimes just a really great script. My GF works for a local company where she makes less money than she could elsewhere, but her work life balance is better, she gets free lunch, and brings her dog to work. The

There are more intangibles in sports than their is in business. But you do see this all the time in business, see Google. My sister also takes a pay cut to work for the DCCC, I do CDC (community dev) because it makes me feel good. These are intangibles, that intrinsically do in fact have a dollar amount correlated to them. Career advancement in sport is the same as going to the super bowl, it is indeed career advancement, goals, and aspirations.

Actors are a terrible example. They take pay cuts all the time to work on Woody Allen, Martin Scorcese, and Tarantino movies, and sometimes just a really great script. My GF works for a local company where she makes less money than she could elsewhere, but her work life balance is better, she gets free lunch, and brings her dog to work. The

Neat. Irrelevant and rambling, but nice anecdotes. Not sure why you think the above is news to me. Equally unsure as to what this has to do with my point regarding passing judgment on a man's motivations and career aspirations.

http://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2016/03/ex-buffalo_bills_de_mario_williams_says_his_effort_will_be_back_to_normal_with_m.html

"I think the biggest thing when talking to the Dolphins, it kind of gives me goosebumps, because it gives me excitement and a level of energy that I haven't had before," Williams said.

This means one of two things

1. Mario found a dealer in North Cuba
  2. He is admitting that he did not make a full effort while collecting a full paycheck last year.

After reading Mario's quotes I have come to one, unmistakable conclusion -- he's a douche. Good riddance.

He duped us all. He came in here giving us so much hope, and the year that we really needed him, the year we should have made the playoffs, he Lied. Stole the money and did not give effort. That is so infuriating! Can't stand people who get paid and just lolly gag through their work. I hope he doesn't make it to the HOF because players that take a year off don't deserve it!

Neat. Irrelevant and rambling, but nice anecdotes. Not sure why you think the above is news to me. Equally unsure as to what this has to do with my point regarding passing judgment on a man's motivations and career aspirations.

I think that over his career, his motivation and career aspirations are abundantly clear. It's also clear that he's not the kind of guy you want in a locker room or on the field in the ultimate team game.

I think that over his career, his motivation and career aspirations are abundantly clear. It's also clear that he's not the kind of guy you want in a locker room or on the field in the ultimate team game.

I really wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt, but it's become pretty clear for the last few months that this move may very well be a case of addition by subtraction.