Sully column implies Rex is stealing the Pegula's money

JoeF

Im sorry but that is simply not true.....Rob Ryan maybe....but we had competition for Rex

How serious they were we likely never know, but he certainly had some reported interest around him. Who knows if he would've been hired elsewhere.

Edited by NoSaint

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sully column implies Rex is stealing the Pegula's money

Not sure if there are actual courses in "How to Paraphrase a News Article," but if there are, you need to take one.

He didn't say that, or really anything close.

A more reasonable summary would be something closer to, "Rex doesn't act like a desperate man, and missing the senior bowl for the Pro Bowl in Hawaii seems to be missing an opportunity to show togetherness with Whaley and to evaluate players when it seemed that a mismatch of players and scheme is what he's blaming the defensive debacle last year on."

The feud's been simmering between the BN and Bills for a few years now and it has little to do with the Pegula's. Long before T/K Pegs bought the team, writers were critical of what we know/knew was a dysfunctional team that wasn't really competing under RW and Brandon. The relationship worsened because the Bills tend to freeze out local media of team news or given little notice because they don't like the coverage. So, if the local news types are shut-out, you can bet they'll be even more critical because they can't do their job.

And now that team is 16 years running minus a playoff appearance so they're only going to be placed under the microscope even more. The BN's purpose isn't to cheer-lead, which is what a lot of fans here demand, because they're fans and totally intolerant of anyone daring criticize their favorite team.

Other teams that can't seem to win are criticized by local media as much if not more than Buffalo, especially in larger markets. The Bills get nothing like what NYC teams receive.

As Rico already noted, all this franchise has to do is win. But they repeatedly don't and are left trying to PR their way out of criticism. The local media doesn't buy it because they've seen it happen all too frequently. And the feud continues.

All one has to do is watch that Sabres end of year press conference from a few years ago . . . or read Bucky's column suggesting that Kim Pegula meddles (and presumably should just bake cookies) . . . or read Sully's column essentially saying that Terry was just lucky in business. . . or many other articles published by the Buffalo News to realize that they burned their own bridges and that it should not surprise anyone that news outlets OTHER THAN the Buffalo News are the ones that typically break Bills/Sabres stories . . . .

Im sorry but that is simply not true.....Rob Ryan maybe....but we had competition for Rex

From what I remember, he met with ATL and they expressed no interest. There were no other takers. If he sat out a year maybe he gets some interest as an HC this year. But he could have also turned into a Brian billick. He almost certainly could have landed a DC job, but his ego was likely too big to accept the demotion. Rob oth had nothing. So you basically had a situation of a) desparate coaches picking off b) a desparate team.

All one has to do is watch that Sabres end of year press conference from a few years ago . . . or read Bucky's column suggesting that Kim Pegula meddles (and presumably should just bake cookies) . . . or read Sully's column essentially saying that Terry was just lucky in business. . . or many other articles published by the Buffalo News to realize that they burned their own bridges and that it should not surprise anyone that news outlets OTHER THAN the Buffalo News are the ones that typically break Bills/Sabres stories . . . .

No surprise at all, though you can usually get the same propaganda directly from the government source, Chris Brown.It's also no surprise that if you want the real deal on what's going down behind the scenes at OBD, you go to the Buffalo News.

For the uninitiated, the following sentence is a good introduction into Sully:

"The Bills will almost surely cut Mario Williams, leaving a huge pass-rushing gap."

First, if there was one guy leading the charge against Mario, it was Sully. Sully criticized Mario's production in the first year even though he had a broken hand. Sully also never seemed to get over the fact that Mario had his own refrigerator.

Now, Sully clams that Rex (the guy Sully will be complaining about for the next several years) should have been at the Senior Bowl to scout pass rushers because Mario's departure will be "leaving a huge pass-rushing gap." Huge pass-rushing gap?!? Sully should go back and read some of his own tweets about Mario's lack of production this past year.

yup. i thought the exact same thing when I read that.

i think our pass rush will be better next year even if we don't draft a DE.

there wasn't much that Mario did this year that we'll miss, i don't think he impacted a single game for us unlike the previous year when he had some dominant streaks.

No surprise at all, though you can usually get the same propaganda directly from the government source, Chris Brown.It's also no surprise that if you want the real deal on what I want to believe about what's going down behind the scenes at OBD, you go to the Buffalo News.

No surprise at all, though you can usually get the same propaganda directly from the government source, Chris Brown.It's also no surprise that if you want the real deal on what's going down behind the scenes at OBD, you go to the Buffalo News.

Strange, I recall Sully using that same analogy about propaganda on the radio. Interesting . . . .

As for "behind the scenes," just about the last place you will find out something new and interesting "behind the scenes" will be the Buffalo News (and Sully's columns would be the last of any of those at TBN).

Tyler Dunne and Tim Graham can both be interesting. TG actually did break stories during the sales process. TD has written some great articles since he was hired. Interestingly, his biggest "breaking" story was that Vic's breaking ultimatum story was BS.

As for Vic, I always used to like him. Since he has been back, it seems as though his editors have told him to be more like Bucky and Sully. It does not suit him. He also seems to have been played or horribly misinformed about certain things he has has written.

As for Sully, Bucky, and Harrington, they seem to be the ones who have burned most of they bridges with the Sabres and Bills. Those guys are not very likely to break any "real deal" stories "behind the scenes." Yet, if you are looking for articles/columns that are snarky and written to fit within their own preconceived narratives, Sully, Bucky, and Harrington are the go to guys at the Buffalo News.

Edited by Peter

I would not want Rex to have the power Chip had in Philly . He can tell Whaley his needs and let the scouting dept do it's job.

I give Rex credit for getting Taylor, I'am sure Whaley will take his suggestions serious.

Edited by ALF

Sullivan may be an awful writer, but it doesn't take away from the fact that Rex is a crap coach that isn't taking this team anywhere. Guy's a fraud and the sooner we upgrade, the better.

Meh. He's not an awful writer. His articles may take all sides of a debate and stir the pot to get fans' riled up, but those are actually different things than being an awful writer. I mean if he was really an awful writer and unable to communicate, we'd simply have no idea what his thoughts are, let alone be able to take great umbrage with and plot them. B-)

From what I remember, he met with ATL and they expressed no interest. There were no other takers. If he sat out a year maybe he gets some interest as an HC this year. But he could have also turned into a Brian billick. He almost certainly could have landed a DC job, but his ego was likely too big to accept the demotion. Rob oth had nothing. So you basically had a situation of a) desparate coaches picking off b) a desparate team.

Why go on fuzzy memory, when the Internet exists?

There was definite interest from Atlanta, but Blank held off all business in the wake of his mother's death.

Unfortunately, Jerry's latest editorial takes a legitimate question -- what are the Bills doing to prepare for next season -- and morphs it into a pretty ridiculous indictment of Rex for attending the Pro Bowl. Per usual, Jerry hasn't done any actual research (i.e., what members of Bills' staff were in Alabama) and implies that Rex not being there is proof of some combination of incompetence, indifference, organizational discord, or laziness.

Here's a crazy thought -- what if Rex and Whaley really are on the same page with respect to personnel? Does Rex need to be at the Senior Bowl if Doug and his scouts are there? Do we think perhaps Whaley is able to call/email/text Rex to relay some thoughts as they look at players?

I understand Jerry has a deadline and needs to put material out there. He's just lazier than the guys he accuses of being lazy.

I would not want Rex to have the power Chip had in Philly . He can tell Whaley his needs and let the scouting dept do it's job.

I give Rex credit for getting Taylor, I'am sure Whaley will take his suggestions serious.

Going to the senior bowl is pretty far from chip kelly power.

I'm getting carried away because I pointed out that his vacation started a month ago?

I find it humorous how fans project the lifestyle they want on players and coaches.........as if it is in any way relative to what they do.

Here is the reality......Rex deserved a lot of time off........he DESERVED to be fired.

But he wasn't and he had a few weeks off........and now he needs a week off while Whaley and staff are trying to evaluate talent for a defense that has such "specific" requirements?

Basically, you are just wrong for justifying it in that regard.

It's not your boss telling you that you can't take that carribean cruise. Rest assured, Rex will get more than 2-3 weeks f*ckoff time this year. :lol:

As for the implication of hiring his bro.......he could have his bro run the D and know he has someone who understands it........which may be an issue with the unaccountable dunce, Dennis Thurman, that he currently has charged his defense to.

In doing so, he can then decrease his workload.......and work no more, maybe less.

These points have nothing to do with whether you liked the hire or not.

It's worth noting that within two days after losing the AFC championship game in brutal fashion, Belichick was in Mobile. No Hawaiian vacation for him.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4790246/bill-belichick-really-is-on-to-2016-hes-already-arrived-at-the-senior-bowl

It's worth noting that within two days after losing the AFC championship game in brutal fashion, Belichick was in Mobile. No Hawaiian vacation for him.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4790246/bill-belichick-really-is-on-to-2016-hes-already-arrived-at-the-senior-bowl

I don't think Belichik would have gone regardless. it's worth noting however that there were no Patriots playing in the PB, and that part of Belichik's role with the team involves personnel. If Rex had no players there I doubt he'd have gone to Hawaii by himself. Edited by YoloinOhio

Unfortunately, Jerry's latest editorial takes a legitimate question -- what are the Bills doing to prepare for next season -- and morphs it into a pretty ridiculous indictment of Rex for attending the Pro Bowl. Per usual, Jerry hasn't done any actual research (i.e., what members of Bills' staff were in Alabama) and implies that Rex not being there is proof of some combination of incompetence, indifference, organizational discord, or laziness.

Here's a crazy thought -- what if Rex and Whaley really are on the same page with respect to personnel? Does Rex need to be at the Senior Bowl if Doug and his scouts are there? Do we think perhaps Whaley is able to call/email/text Rex to relay some thoughts as they look at players?

I understand Jerry has a deadline and needs to put material out there. He's just lazier than the guys he accuses of being lazy.

There is no one who can doubt that I am not a Rex fan. But the notion some are promoting that he being in Hawaii is a demonstration of him being lazy and not committed to his job is a ludicrous leap.

I didn't think that Rex's hiring of his brother was very smart. Some are portraying it as another indication that Rex is going to coast more because his brother will be picking up his intended slack. That to me is another preposterous proposition.

The standard false argument construct is being applied here:making a farfetched claim based on nothing more than what one thinks is happening/then challenging others to prove that one is am wrong.

Rex will eventually fail in his job because he isn't very competent and lacks discipline as a HC. But that doesn't mean that a trip to the pro all-star game signifies anything other than too many people have vivid imaginations that are running amok.

Edited by JohnC

Theres no doubt the Ryan brothers are looking to cash out and get one last check from the bills. Remember both of them were completely SOL after a serious of disasterous seasons, and with no other suitors.

truth on hold is the right name in this particular case.

I don't care or mind Ryan is in Hawaii. In a way, I prefer it.

Let Whaley get the groceries and have Ryan cook the meal. The less personnel meddling Ryan's involved in, the better, IMO.

if Sully had actually thought about it in terms of managing a staff, would you utilize Rex's strengths better bonding with Richie in Hawaii who they really need to sign to a reasonable FA deal - and potentially bond with other FAs from other teams for now or in the future - or evaluating college players during practice? I know where I'd send him if I were Pegs. Edited by YoloinOhio

I don't care or mind Ryan is in Hawaii. In a way, I prefer it.

Let Whaley get the groceries and have Ryan cook the meal. The less personnel meddling Ryan's involved in, the better, IMO.

if Sully had actually thought about it in terms of managing a staff, would you utilize Rex's strengths better bonding with Richie in Hawaii who they really need to sign to a reasonable FA deal - and potentially bond with other FAs from other teams for now or in the future - or evaluating college players during practice? I know where I'd send him if I were Pegs.

The Bills already had Whaley, Monos, and Fisher there along with other scouts. There was no need to have Rex in Mobile.

Anytime I see that an article is written by either Jerry Sullivan or Bucky Gleason, I don't bother reading it. I'm still baffled that both of those guys have jobs with the garbage they continue to write.

It would be nice if they would just add an asterisk after "Buffalo News reports" to let us know a hack authored it.

I don't think Belichik would have gone regardless. it's worth noting however that there were no Patriots playing in the PB, and that part of Belichik's role with the team involves personnel. If Rex had no players there I doubt he'd have gone to Hawaii by himself.

Disagree. I don't think Rex was there because his players were. JMO.

I don't think Belichik would have gone regardless. it's worth noting however that there were no Patriots playing in the PB, and that part of Belichik's role with the team involves personnel. If Rex had no players there I doubt he'd have gone to Hawaii by himself.

I think this is mostly a tempest in a teapot, but I do believe there's something to the argument that Rex isn't as dedicated as some other coaches (although he's likely plenty dedicated). Belichick simply operates at a different level on the hours-put-in front -- certainly above Rex. But so did Gregg Williams, apparently. Belichick also happens to be really smart, which helps. I also don't think that whether players were there or not had anything to do with the presence (or lack thereof) of either coach.

Edited by dave mcbride

Rex is networking with a bunch of NFL players, coaches and staff at the Pro Bowl.

He's doing this while DW and his team of college talent evaluators are evaluating college players.

I'm not sure why Sully finds fault with this, except that he just likes to whine.

Edited by hondo in seattle

for the love of all that's holy.... STOP READING HIS ARTICLES!!!!

He is a low brow, jerry springer-two bit-hack.

I have a side agreement with TBN -- 2 cents a click.... ;-)

We all say stop reading him but what are our other options to feed our addiction..

Jerry has always been like that . We all disrespect him. The other thing I've noticed is not many on this board like Rex. Maybe they should take each other out to lunch once a week. Who hired Rex anyway? We have said "Next Year" to many times so I think we have regrets about Rex after last year and so it should be.

in the wide range it can be - last year the saints coaches stayed home and did film review, this year they brought Scouts, GM/execs, and the ENTIRE coaching staff.

theres no one answer but i find it odd that many are acting like theres NOTHING a coach could gain from seeing guys in pads in person, or live in a practice for the only opportunity they might get outside of shorts and a tshirt workouts.

maybe the saints end up with too many cooks in the kitchen, maybe the extra sets of eyes help pick up some hidden gems or red flags