Sully column implies Rex is stealing the Pegula's money

JoeF

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Remember, Rex’s belief in his defensive system − which came under attack from his own players last season − is unwavering. He was allowed to double down on it by bringing in his twin brother, Rob, a career mediocrity as a defensive coordinator.

Remember Jerry Sullivan is an expert on mediocrity - he has been trying to reach that level for years.

I detest Sullivan, hate is a little too strong, but in this column he makes real points for the first time in months.

Rex mouth is far better than his coaching, history shows that. and as for his twin...never was never will be. They both live on Daddys rep

He destroyed a highly motivated aggressive D last year, one that had few holes. Now we have to fill 2 or 3 spots (DE, 2 LB) and possible DT and SS (not his fault)

Now we have players who no longer believe in what they are doing on D, perhaps the biggest challenge to overcome.

I hope he enjoys his mai tai because I would not trust him to make draft selections

the only problem is now he can blame Whaley is they miss on a pick. Rex is good at that.

So now the BN is back to saying there was an ultimatum?

But you might have expected Rex to behave like a coach in crisis, a man who had been issued a win-or-else edict by the Pegulas and was heading into one of the most crucial years of his coaching life

This going to be a really long offseason. #drama #outrage

Edited by YoloinOhio

Anytime I see that an article is written by either Jerry Sullivan or Bucky Gleason, I don't bother reading it. I'm still baffled that both of those guys have jobs with the garbage they continue to write.

This. I clicked on it from TBD and as soon as I saw it was Sully, I left. I wish we could tag the TBD articles with author, to help perfect the "see and avoid" technique.

So, we know that Rex is in Hawaii based on the article... Where's the roster listing of scouts in Alabama? If the entire scouting department were in Hawaii drinking mai tais and rex was scouting talent, that'd be an article about robbing money from the boss...

So now the BN is back to saying there was an ultimatum?

This going to be a really long offseason. #drama #outrage

Well, Sully has never wavered from saying it, at least I think I recall transcripts of a couple interviews or podcasts where he said it. I guess he and Vic have the same source.

I'd kind of like to be in Hawaii right now myself

I detest Sullivan, hate is a little too strong, but in this column he makes real points for the first time in months.

Rex mouth is far better than his coaching, history shows that. and as for his twin...never was never will be. They both live on Daddys rep

He destroyed a highly motivated aggressive D last year, one that had few holes. Now we have to fill 2 or 3 spots (DE, 2 LB) and possible DT and SS (not his fault)

Now we have players who no longer believe in what they are doing on D, perhaps the biggest challenge to overcome.

I hope he enjoys his mai tai because I would not trust him to make draft selections

the only problem is now he can blame Whaley is they miss on a pick. Rex is good at that.

I'm not a fan of Rex; never have been, and I happen to agree with the last two paragraphs of that article. That said, the rest was trash, which is Jerry's basic formula. Throw in a couple of obvious insights around a bunch of garbage and throw it against a wall.

Whaley is good at his job, and should be allowed to do it without interference from Rex. It's not like because Rex isn't there, Whaley is running around blind without any idea of what kind of players he should be looking for. These people do actually have conversations you know.

Whaley and his staff will get Rex and Roman the best players they can for their systems. Jerry can put his pen away, at least in regards to Rex, until the season starts. Unfortunately I'm sure there will be plenty of negatives to write about then.

We will see- ultimately, there could be a strong plan here, or we could end up with stories in a year about this week being a sign of disappointment to follow.

As JS points out, he could be doing some bonding with free agents right now to see where there heads are at. Productive trip in that case.

Or it could be he's avoiding the scouting team due to strains we've heard rumor of between he and DW, and prefers the beach over work.

I honestly think that Sully (and some of his other colleagues) were genuinely disappointed when the Bills beat the Jets. Sully probably already wrote a series of articles centered around how the Jets made the playoffs once they got rid of Rex . . . .

This ultimatum thing is horsesh*t. It was that when Vic wrote about it. Based on what we know about Kim and Terry Pegula, giving an ultimatum to a coach they just hired seems about the last thing that they would do. To the extent that there is even a source, Vic should have been smart enough to question it because it makes no sense.

P.S. I wonder if Rex was at the Senior Bowl if Sully would have written that Rex and DW were having a power struggle about who had last word about the draft or the 53 man roster.

P.P.S. All of the senior bowl practices are taped.

P.P.P.S If Rex does not go to the combine, then Sully might have a store.

P.P.P.P.S. Sully writes articles as though he has a lifetime contract.

Edited by Peter

I honestly think that Sully (and some of his other colleagues) were genuinely disappointed when the Bills beat the Jets. Sully probably already wrote a series of articles centered around how the Jets made the playoffs once they got rid of Rex . . . .

This ultimatum thing is horsesh*t. It was that when Vic wrote about it. Based on what we know about Kim and Terry Pegula, giving an ultimatum to a coach they just hired seems about the last thing that they would do. To the extent that there is even a source, Vic should have been smart enough to question it because it makes no sense.

Sully's source is not same as Vic's; Sully's source is Vic and Vic's is Sully.

Rex didn't get enough work done last offseason.

And before I get the obligatory denials from apologists..........even the players say the organization simply took too much for granted.

So it's natural to wonder if Rex is actually going to put in the effort this offseason.

He's earned the criticism so if it bunches your panties, just pull them out and deal with the fact that the burden of proof is on him.

For the uninitiated, the following sentence is a good introduction into Sully:

"The Bills will almost surely cut Mario Williams, leaving a huge pass-rushing gap."

First, if there was one guy leading the charge against Mario, it was Sully. Sully criticized Mario's production in the first year even though he had a broken hand. Sully also never seemed to get over the fact that Mario had his own refrigerator.

Now, Sully clams that Rex (the guy Sully will be complaining about for the next several years) should have been at the Senior Bowl to scout pass rushers because Mario's departure will be "leaving a huge pass-rushing gap." Huge pass-rushing gap?!? Sully should go back and read some of his own tweets about Mario's lack of production this past year.

Edited by Peter

Sullivan might be right, but he is an insufferable jerk. His slant - and several posters on this board parrot him regularly - is always the same - snide, cynical, miserable, almost rooting against the organization and inflaming the negative side of the fanbase to generate clicks and eyeballs.

I do some work for a city agency that takes some controversial stances, and Sullivan reminds me of the blogosphere we deal with on a daily basis - there is a vocal group out there that only exists to try to tear us down - negatively attacking us is their entire identity, and it's clear to me that deep down they don't want us to be successful because it would deprive them of their livelihoods. It's a disgusting, cynical self-defeating cesspool that drags everyone down and really deflates morale.

The BN and much of the rest of the local media has become like this, and it's gotten to the point where OBD has taken on a defensive attitude to defend its employees from the constant negativity. It's a bad situation. I'll say it again: the Buffalo media is garbage - they're negative, entitled, unaccountable and lazy (as an example: today's Jay Skurski column on TBD has a glaring typo in the first paragraph: "whose not even under contract..." - it's "who's" - come on). I'm just tired of it, and I'm tired of the posters on this board (won't call them out by name, but we all know who they are) who parrot the constant cycle of negativity and push a negative spin on everything that happens with the team (although the cheerleader posters are just as bad).

The situation has to stop. I really wish Jerry would just retire or go work for a tabloid in the United Kingdom where his sarcastic rants would fit in perfectly. I don't even click on the links when I know it's his work, and I can usually pick up his whiny voice from the excerpt on TBD. Go away you jerk.

Rex didn't get enough work done last offseason.

And before I get the obligatory denials from apologists..........even the players say the organization simply took too much for granted.

So it's natural to wonder if Rex is actually going to put in the effort this offseason.

He's earned the criticism so if it bunches your panties, just pull them out and deal with the fact that the burden of proof is on him.

Fair enough. The criticism of Rex is well-earned. But Sullivan's articles write themselves. He revels in slop. He's garbage.

I think everyone frustrated with Sully should be frustrated with Rex. The FACT is he is in Hawaii and not at the Senior Bowl. I hate this unless the team sent Rex for a purpose to the Pro Bowl.

It is my understanding a HC in the NFL is about a 7 day, 48 week job a year. This isn't the week to take off!!

This also plays into my thoughts on Rex not always preparing enough. For example, approx. half the weeks this year we were ill prepared for our weekly game planning.

Imo Rex is is too self centered, selfish, too big an ego, lazy, not dedicated and more concerned with being a celebrity than a above average coach.

Sully can be terrible, but, I think he is much closer to right than wrong in this article.

I think everyone frustrated with Sully should be frustrated with Rex. The FACT is he is in Hawaii and not at the Senior Bowl. I hate this unless the team sent Rex for a purpose to the Pro Bowl.

It is my understanding a HC in the NFL is about a 7 day, 48 week job a year. This isn't the week to take off!!

This also plays into my thoughts on Rex not always preparing enough. For example, approx. half the weeks this year we were ill prepared for our weekly game planning.

Imo Rex is is too self centered, selfish, too big an ego, lazy, not dedicated and more concerned with being a celebrity than a above average coach.

Sully can be terrible, but, I think he is much closer to right than wrong in this article.

What is the basis of such an indictment?