Sully column implies Rex is stealing the Pegula's money

JoeF

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whaley is good at his job, and should be allowed to do it without interference from Rex. It's not like because Rex isn't there, Whaley is running around blind without any idea of what kind of players he should be looking for. These people do actually have conversations you know.

Whaley and his staff will get Rex and Roman the best players they can for their systems. Jerry can put his pen away, at least in regards to Rex, until the season starts. Unfortunately I'm sure there will be plenty of negatives to write about then.

I think very highly of Whaley and the staff. But, Rex going to the Senior Bowl can be nothing but helpful. He should be there. Even if it just helps a little it still helps. More eyes and ears always help. Edited by Manther

Fair enough. The criticism of Rex is well-earned. But Sullivan's articles write themselves. He revels in slop. He's garbage.

Actually I don't believe I've EVER heard a Buffalo HC be accused of not putting in enough effort.

Heard a lot of complaints, but not the HC not being prepared.

So if the story wrote itself it's because his effort was already questionable.

We will see- ultimately, there could be a strong plan here, or we could end up with stories in a year about this week being a sign of disappointment to follow.

As JS points out, he could be doing some bonding with free agents right now to see where there heads are at. Productive trip in that case.

Or it could be he's avoiding the scouting team due to strains we've heard rumor of between he and DW, and prefers the beach over work.

I agree with that also. As i said above, if this is the team plan and directive it is probably a good plan. If it isn't, we will hear about it in 9 to 12 months and see some clear issues.

For the uninitiated, the following sentence is a good introduction into Sully:

"The Bills will almost surely cut Mario Williams, leaving a huge pass-rushing gap."

First, if there was one guy leading the charge against Mario, it was Sully. Sully criticized Mario's production in the first year even though he had a broken hand. Sully also never seemed to get over the fact that Mario had his own refrigerator.

Now, Sully clams that Rex (the guy Sully will be complaining about for the next several years) should have been at the Senior Bowl to scout pass rushers because Mario's departure will be "leaving a huge pass-rushing gap." Huge pass-rushing gap?!? Sully should go back and read some of his own tweets about Mario's lack of production this past year.

It's possible to question whether a player is worth $17M per year and still admit that they are very productive.

You are reaching a very long way to find a reason to hate.

I could care less about JS but the Mario situation is just messed up.

Actually I don't believe I've EVER heard a Buffalo HC be accused of not putting in enough effort.

How much would it really help to have Rex at the Senior Bowl? Who cares? Remember when Chan coached the Senior Bowl and fell in love with Kelvin Sheppard? Let the scouts scout. I just don't see the issue here. It's not a bad thing for Rex to be bonding with his QB in Hawaii. I agree he needs to spend a lot more time paying attention to detail in general - but this is a non-issue.

Edited by Coach Tuesday

I'm not a fan of Rex Ryan and I have never been. I consider him to be a mediocre HC with a propensity for juvenile behavior. However, he's entitled to take a break and get away from the work scene. The players that Whaley and his staff are evaluating are the same ones that he will review and meet during the offseason. I'm a strong believer that temporarily getting away from the work site does refresh the body and spirit.

There were stories that there was some friction between Whaley and Rex. Are they true? They better be! If there weren't some very long and pointed discussions between the two during the season then Whaley should be fired for nonfeasance. A defense that was a top tier defense the prior year became a shell of what it was under Rex. Rex needed to explain what he thought was going on and Whaley needed to candidly express his thoughts.

Rex may not be the sharpest knife in the kitchen but he is sharp enough to know what happens when the owners' expectations are not met in two consecutive years. He's been in the league long enough to know how things work and what the survival rate is for coaches who fail to live up to the optimistic expressions coming out of their very active mouths. Rex certainly doesn't need to be told what the upcoming season means to him.

Sullivan is dramatizing a story that he is manufacturing in the quiet period. The real story is whether Rex can get the defense to rebound. We won't know that until the next season begins. What I know for sure is if Rex's defense starts the season struggling the avalanche of criticisms will get louder. You can then bet that the Pegulas will be making up their minds sooner rather than later regarding his status with the team.

How much would it really help to have Rex at the Senior Bowl? Who cares?

Let me stop you right there...........the point is that in his FIRST OPPORTUNITY to publicly show effort in the offseason, he is kicking it in sunny Hawaii around a bunch of opposing veterans the Bills can't afford in FA rather than putting the work on players he actually has a shot at in in dreery Mobile.

Oh, wait he is there to try to convince Richie Incognito to stay. :rolleyes:

His engagement in the job had been questioned already.....so as Pete said......this story basically wrote itself.

If you do a job so poorly that the only reason you don't get fired is "continuity".......and then you immediately take a vacation while your peers are working.........well, I don't know what to say if you don't see the questionable nature of that decision.

My theory of Rex's failure has little to do with his effort. It has more to do with what he was trying to do. Most often when you make a fundamentally wrong decision that predictably proves not to work the compounding mistake is to continue on in that path instead of reversing course and undoing what you did. Stubbornness not effort is the source of his troubles. .

My theory of Rex's failure has little to do with his effort. It has more to do with what he was trying to do. Most often when you make a fundamentally wrong decision that predictably proves not to work the compounding mistake is to continue on in that path instead of reversing course and undoing what you did. Stubbornness not effort is the source of his troubles. .

Yeah and you also tried to make the point that he deserves to take a vacation THIS week when his season ended a month ago. :doh:

You know it could also be argued that he hired his brother so that he would have to work even LESS.

The burden of proof is on the guy who fell flat on his face last season.

How about who cares? By the sounds of it, everyone here is the CEO of a Fortune 500 company and also dabbling in the management and coaching of NFL team. Rex coaches right? Whaley drafts right? Enough said. In the doldrums of the NFL offseason, which here starts before Xmas, the local rag seems to be trying really hard to write about the team more often than in the past and in order to do so, they need to make up stories to print. This is as much of a non-issue as possible. And Sully is the guy who historically writes garbage and then doubles down on it all the time, even in the face of obvious evidence to the contrary.

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/sports/2016/01/05/roth-whaley-ryan-teamwork-display/78299072/

As I keep saying over and over and over, stop reading this joker. He's the equivelant of that ex-girlfriend who constantly trolls you on social media. Put him on ignore people.

iI don't have a problem with Rex taking a Hawaii vacation. If there was any truth to wooing a free agent, then that makes sense. If not, I don't understand why he wouldn't want to be sitting with scouts and personnel staff even if for just defensive players.

Regarding Sully, he's a tool. Not worth any longer comment.

It would be more effective if a HC and GM are lock step in their philosophy were aligned.

As far as Sully's comments on broadcasting, that is true. i don't see him robbing the Pegulas of their money, but simply is not the coach I wish we had here in Buffalo. I'd much rather have a newcomer like Dan Quinn, Todd Bowles, or before the Marrone hire, the guy we absolutely whiffed on was Arians.

i have hope though for this draft. I'm betting Whaley gives us three starters, and some depth.

Yeah and you also tried to make the point that he deserves to take a vacation THIS week when his season ended a month ago. :doh:

You know it could also be argued that he hired his brother so that he would have to work even LESS.

The burden of proof is on the guy who fell flat on his face last season.

You are getting carried away here. Your point that adding his brother to the payroll will affect how little or more he works makes little sense, at least to me.

My position from the beginning was that he was a bad hire. How hard he works is not the central issue; it is how smart he works. You are doing what Jerry Sullivan is doing: Manufacturing an issue that isn't an issue. There are more than enough things to criticize Rex on. This isn't one of them, or at least it isn't for me.

You are getting carried away here. Your point that adding his brother to the payroll will affect how little or more he works makes little sense, at least to me.

My position from the beginning was that he was a bad hire. How hard he works is not the central issue; it is how smart he works. You are doing what Jerry Sullivan is doing: Manufacturing an issue that isn't an issue. There are more than enough things to criticize Rex on. This isn't one of them, or at least it isn't for me.

I'm getting carried away because I pointed out that his vacation started a month ago?

I find it humorous how fans project the lifestyle they want on players and coaches.........as if it is in any way relative to what they do.

Here is the reality......Rex deserved a lot of time off........he DESERVED to be fired.

But he wasn't and he had a few weeks off........and now he needs a week off while Whaley and staff are trying to evaluate talent for a defense that has such "specific" requirements?

Basically, you are just wrong for justifying it in that regard.

It's not your boss telling you that you can't take that carribean cruise. Rest assured, Rex will get more than 2-3 weeks f*ckoff time this year. :lol:

As for the implication of hiring his bro.......he could have his bro run the D and know he has someone who understands it........which may be an issue with the unaccountable dunce, Dennis Thurman, that he currently has charged his defense to.

In doing so, he can then decrease his workload.......and work no more, maybe less.

These points have nothing to do with whether you liked the hire or not.

What is the basis of such an indictment?

As I stated it is based on...IMO (in my opinion) on how has has conducted himself as a HC over 7 seasons. 7 seasons is a lot to develop an opinion and a good pool of past events.

I'm not a fan of Rex Ryan and I have never been. I consider him to be a mediocre HC with a propensity for juvenile behavior. However, he's entitled to take a break and get away from the work scene. The players that Whaley and his staff are evaluating are the same ones that he will review and meet during the offseason. I'm a strong believer that temporarily getting away from the work site does refresh the body and spirit.

I agree Rex needs to recharge himself. But, he also has to manage himself and team while doing so. And, that includes, choosing when it is best for the team to take a week off and recharge. This is not the week in my opinion. For example, my previous job was managing retail hours (essentially), so, Christmas, Thanksgiving, 4th of July and other large Holidays were probably 10-15 % of my pay (commission for the year) AND my peoples. So, I didn't take those off because it would effect mine and my team's performance and consequently mine and their pay. I thought it was very important to be there and would have been lacking leadership by being absent. I took time off other times of the year to recharge. It is part of managing a business and yourself. Unless this was a team plan or directive I am beside myself of his decision.

Edited by Manther

Let me stop you right there...........the point is that in his FIRST OPPORTUNITY to publicly show effort in the offseason, he is kicking it in sunny Hawaii around a bunch of opposing veterans the Bills can't afford in FA rather than putting the work on players he actually has a shot at in in dreery Mobile.

Oh, wait he is there to try to convince Richie Incognito to stay. :rolleyes:

His engagement in the job had been questioned already.....so as Pete said......this story basically wrote itself.

If you do a job so poorly that the only reason you don't get fired is "continuity".......and then you immediately take a vacation while your peers are working.........well, I don't know what to say if you don't see the questionable nature of that decision.

I am in total agreement..If my job was on the line...I would be putting in 110% EFFORT to insure I can say, "I did all I could do and MORE"...this Buffoon just keeps solidifying in my mind that he is just sucking in the $$$ and doesn't care...Fame Whore...although he doesn't get it...his claim to Fame is FAILURE!!

He already destroyed a promising season and destroyed a Top 5 D...so what does he do, bring in his dufous brother and heads to Aloha land...Do you think Billy Bellicheat would do that?..Hell no...He's a coach not a stooge!!

I cannot wait for this farce to be over...Screw the continuity thing!

I say blow it up if it ain't working...why would you settle for mediocrity? This is all we've seen in 16 freaking years!!

Screw Rex Ruin!!