Sully column implies Rex is stealing the Pegula's money

JoeF

you actually wrote grokked. I have not read that word since high school.

well done.

BADOL is right about a couple things.

one of them is, he was not prepared coming into the season. Thats a fair cop.

And i do understand the concern he does not take this seriously enough. For me , I just can't imagine that is true of any HC in the NFL

I think Sullivan's confused. It's not coaching that Rex doesn't take seriously. It's Sully.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want to apologize to the mods for posting the whole article. Temporary brain fart....

This article smacks of an escalating feud between the Bills and the News. A true balanced column here would have:

1) Listed the coaches from the staff who were in Mobile (I don't know the answer to this). For example if Thurman, Rob, Crossman, Roman and the position coaches were at the Senior Bowl, does it really matter that Rex isn't there?

2) Backed up the premise of the story (Rex is playing fat and happy with his guaranteed contract) with other examples of him shirking it.

3) Outlined what Rex is actually doing in Hawaii -- its at least partially work related stuff--if Incognito signs for $5 million a year -- it was a successful trip.

This all started with the article by Gleason questioning the Pegula's capability to own the Bills and the Sabres -- now Sully is on a Rex stakeout -- Skurski is snarky and Dunne (the guy who has to be present at OBD most often) is just writing factual accounts. As much as I think Sully is off base a lot -- I think the Editor in Chief is ordering this....The Pegula's have done enough to be the royal family in Buffalo and the News is serving as their Rupert Murdoch..

Yeah and you also tried to make the point that he deserves to take a vacation THIS week when his season ended a month ago. :doh:

I could be mistaken, but it was my understanding that one of the busiest times of the year for coaches was the several weeks right after the season ended...that this is when they watch tape and re-evaluate each player and map out their strategy for the team's FA they want to resign/what their value is, give input on which players to tender, what their biggest needs are in different areas, what sort of players they need....all the input that the business office and scouts need to go out and do their thing.

If you've got the inside gouge on the yearly work of a recent NFL team's FO, or better yet specifically the Bills FO, I defer to that...when does the above get done?

you actually wrote grokked. I have not read that word since high school.

well done.

BADOL is right about a couple things.

one of them is, he was not prepared coming into the season. Thats a fair cop.

And i do understand the concern he does not take this seriously enough. For me , I just can't imagine that is true of any HC in the NFL

rings a bell.

Thought he was speaking of himself, but i can very well imagine he meant across the board

Haha channeling my inner "Stranger"

I would just like to understand why you believe Rex was not prepared coming into the season

re Hughes I too thought he meant that the players needed to put in more work and get deeper into the playbook....though I do recall that after June minicamp closed, Rex was publically saying he advised all the players to take a couple weeks away from football which would not accord with any kind of reality check whether and which player need to buckle down

It's one that can go either way. I'm sure you'd like him showing up to the combine, giving input on free agency etc...

Is it mandatory to attend for success? No way.

Are there things he could contribute there to help the franchise? I'd hope.

What is he going to find out in person that he can't find out on video? If the guy picks his nose too much on the sideline?

The Bills aren't going to be shopping in the UFA lane much this year and as JS said, need to hit on some rookies. So I'd expect the GM and HC to be scouting hard, including the Senior Bowl where talent is on display in real, albeit controlled, game action.

Why wouldn't the HC be there? Unless Whaley knows Rex's defense in an out, doesn't it make sense for both to be there? Or, are they focusing on improving the defense via UFA with low cost options.

The coaching staff needs to be attached at the hip with the personnel department. And when the head coach is not there it definitely sends the wrong message.

Thank goodness he is not evaluating players. Let Whaley and his staff do that. Mark Sanchez, see what happens when Rex grabs players.

Tyrod Taylor is Rex's, and EJ Manuel is Whaley's. God only knows what kind of garbage DW will get this year if he burns a high pick on a QB.

I want to apologize to the mods for posting the whole article. Temporary brain fart....

This article smacks of an escalating feud between the Bills and the News. A true balanced column here would have:

1) Listed the coaches from the staff who were in Mobile (I don't know the answer to this). For example if Thurman, Rob, Crossman, Roman and the position coaches were at the Senior Bowl, does it really matter that Rex isn't there?

2) Backed up the premise of the story (Rex is playing fat and happy with his guaranteed contract) with other examples of him shirking it.

3) Outlined what Rex is actually doing in Hawaii -- its at least partially work related stuff--if Incognito signs for $5 million a year -- it was a successful trip.

This all started with the article by Gleason questioning the Pegula's capability to own the Bills and the Sabres -- now Sully is on a Rex stakeout -- Skurski is snarky and Dunne (the guy who has to be present at OBD most often) is just writing factual accounts. As much as I think Sully is off base a lot -- I think the Editor in Chief is ordering this....The Pegula's have done enough to be the royal family in Buffalo and the News is serving as their Rupert Murdoch..

The feud's been simmering between the BN and Bills for a few years now and it has little to do with the Pegula's. Long before T/K Pegs bought the team, writers were critical of what we know/knew was a dysfunctional team that wasn't really competing under RW and Brandon. The relationship worsened because the Bills tend to freeze out local media of team news or given little notice because they don't like the coverage. So, if the local news types are shut-out, you can bet they'll be even more critical because they can't do their job.

And now that team is 16 years running minus a playoff appearance so they're only going to be placed under the microscope even more. The BN's purpose isn't to cheer-lead, which is what a lot of fans here demand, because they're fans and totally intolerant of anyone daring criticize their favorite team.

Other teams that can't seem to win are criticized by local media as much if not more than Buffalo, especially in larger markets. The Bills get nothing like what NYC teams receive.

As Rico already noted, all this franchise has to do is win. But they repeatedly don't and are left trying to PR their way out of criticism. The local media doesn't buy it because they've seen it happen all too frequently. And the feud continues.

its funny that some people have the narrative that rex is a never was and that he broke a defense that was good for 1 year. everyone just gonna forget that jets defenses and the ravens defenses he coached? they still went 8-8 with a ton of injuries. i liked jim schwartz as DC but man people are forgetting he got torn up by brady and after the big packers win....took a mike tyson punch out blow from the freaking raiders!

What is he going to find out in person that he can't find out on video? If the guy picks his nose too much on the sideline?

There certainly is some balance here to be found. The chat ups and stuff that occur with other NFL persons perhaps?

not defending this non story though.

Hopeful "I would just like to understand why you believe Rex was not prepared coming into the season"

Mostly because he said so. He is putting out the story that he knows the players etc better now. I dont want to put words in his mouth.

But he sure did not seem to have a handle on the team after the Patriots offense dismantled us after getting so high against the Colts.

Possibly he really did not know the players in person or their innate abilities.

thats my opinion from the outside, and i am known to overthink matters

The feud's been simmering between the BN and Bills for a few years now and it has little to do with the Pegula's. Long before T/K Pegs bought the team, writers were critical of what we know/knew was a dysfunctional team that wasn't really competing under RW and Brandon. The relationship worsened because the Bills tend to freeze out local media of team news or given little notice because they don't like the coverage. So, if the local news types are shut-out, you can bet they'll be even more critical because they can't do their job.

And now that team is 16 years running minus a playoff appearance so they're only going to be placed under the microscope even more. The BN's purpose isn't to cheer-lead, which is what a lot of fans here demand, because they're fans and totally intolerant of anyone daring criticize their favorite team.

Other teams that can't seem to win are criticized by local media as much if not more than Buffalo, especially in larger markets. The Bills get nothing like what NYC teams receive.

As Rico already noted, all this franchise has to do is win. But they repeatedly don't and are left trying to PR their way out of criticism. The local media doesn't buy it because they've seen it happen all too frequently. And the feud continues.

Tis true.

But it seems someone at 1 Pegula Drive told BN to stick it where the sun dont shine this year. i noticed the tide turning in the pressers. Yes i watched them...

Theres no doubt the Ryan brothers are looking to cash out and get one last check from the bills. Remember both of them were completely SOL after a serious of disasterous seasons, and with no other suitors.

Unfortunately there is a pocket of folks who feel this is exactly what is going on.

We will see- ultimately, there could be a strong plan here, or we could end up with stories in a year about this week being a sign of disappointment to follow.

As JS points out, he could be doing some bonding with free agents right now to see where there heads are at. Productive trip in that case.

Or it could be he's avoiding the scouting team due to strains we've heard rumor of between he and DW, and prefers the beach over work.

I know everyone who's involved in pro football must have some idea about how to evaluate talent but its really not Rex's job is it? What exactly would he be doing if he weren't in Hawaii? Seems like he just ended a long season and Whaley is just beginning his. I don't get the drama.

The pro bowl could definitely be exactly where Rex is most useful.