Sully column implies Rex is stealing the Pegula's money

JoeF

As I stated it is based on...IMO (in my opinion) on how has has conducted himself as a HC over 7 seasons. 7 seasons is a lot to develop an opinion and a good pool of past events.

I agree Rex needs to recharge himself. But, he also has to manage himself and team. And, that includes choosing when it is best for the team to take a week of and recharge. This is not the week in my opinion. For example, my previous job was managing retail hours (essentially), so, Christmas, Thanksgiving, 4th of July were probably 10 % of my pay (commission for the year) AND my peoples. So, I didn't take those off because it would effect mine and my team's performance and consequently my and their pay. I thought it was very important to be there and would have been lacking leadership by being absent. Unless this was a team plan or directive I am beside myself of his decision.

Fair enough, but I think one would need to know the behind the scenes work habits, film study practices, and game planning efforts of Rex and his coaching staffs to make an accurate assessment.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny to see fans more angry at a writer they don't like than a tone-deaf coach.

Odd, interesting.....ya, it really shows where we are all at with frustration, I think?! Sully does suck and brings nothing to the table. But, my comments above place this on Rex being Rex unless it was a team directive and initiative.

Fair enough, but I think one would need to know the behind the scenes work habits, film study practices, and game planning efforts of Rex and his coaching staffs to make an accurate assessment.

I would agree with you. My thoughts are the inconsistent product on the field on a weekly basis is what leads me to the inconsistent preparation and work habits. Also, how much HOF HC say they work. 7 days a week and 48 weeks a year. Rex's time in the media not at work alone leads me to believe he doesn't put in the time that it takes to be great in this league. These thoughts all make me question as you said, "behind the scenes work habits, film study practices, and game planning efforts of Rex and his coaching staffs".

Funny to see fans more angry at a writer they don't like than a tone-deaf coach.

At least the coach can be fired in a reasonable amount of time if he does a poor job. With Sullivan and Gleason, these guys have been writing terrible articles for many years now and how they still have jobs is beyond me?

At least the coach can be fired in a reasonable amount of time if he does a poor job. With Sullivan and Gleason, these guys have been writing terrible articles for many years now and how they still have jobs is beyond me?

Agreed! Funny, but, true.

Holy ****, that is a bad piece. "Ryan is at the Pro Bowl, therefore Ryan isn't doing his job, because he has no reason to be at the Pro Bowl, whatever his reason is. No coach who's been given an ultimatum by the owner" - despite the owner himself denying that story - "should skip the Senior Bowl."

That was one hot mess of garbage, even by the low standards I regard Sullivan with.

Havent read the article....dont like to give this hack the clicks

- I am not happy with what happened with last years defense....Im not going to defend it.....Rex screwed it up

- Lets not act like EVERY decision that Rex made last year was a mistake.....Roman as OC was a very good hire and he picked his own staff....as a result we were the number 1 rushing team in the league.....Tyrod Taylor is not on the bills if Rex doesnt come here.......the problem with all of this is while Rex was smart enough to hire a proven OC and let him do his thing the thing that SHOULD have been great on this team....which was the defense.....was not

but

- The train has left the station.....people can forget about the dominance of the defense the year before Rex got here.....and embrace the fact that when given the defensive players he needs rex does have a defense that works. This is where Whaley (who I think is a rock star of a GM....love his work) now needs to give Rex the players he needs to make his defense work.....I fully expect that while Glenn and Cog will be resigned.....the emphasis of this offseason especially the draft is gonna be players that can do what Rex Ryan is asking of them.

I am not going to comment on Rob Ryan.....I am not going to say that was a great hire.....I will say that Rex Ryan HAS had success......two AFC Championship bids. I dont care if it was a while ago I am not going to ignore the fact that he got to the AFC Championship twice in a row with a rock solid defense and a crap QB.

No predictions this year....I am entirely in wait and see mode.

Uhh...aren't the people who are responsible for scouting in Alabama doing the scouting?

It's one that can go either way. I'm sure you'd like him showing up to the combine, giving input on free agency etc...

Is it mandatory to attend for success? No way.

Are there things he could contribute there to help the franchise? I'd hope.

Uhh...aren't the people who are responsible for scouting in Alabama doing the scouting?

Yes, and don't forget when you're at practice you can't see every player. There's too much going on. The real scouting occurs when they watch the practice film -- which Rex can do in Hawaii as easily as he can do it Alabama.

Yes, and don't forget when you're at practice you can't see every player. There's too much going on. The real scouting occurs when they watch the practice film -- which Rex can do in Hawaii as easily as he can do it Alabama.

Listened to interviews with the saints coaching staff this week - lots of comments about finding guys to iso on that they've seen on film, chatting with guys to get some pre-work ready for combine interviews, etc....

Rex wasn't on the road with the scouts watching these guys in person all fall. It wouldn't be terrible to have him see a few hit in person, chat with them for the first time, and such. There's so much that goes into scouting that it's not a huge deal to miss a few days here... But it may be nothing in the end

Rex may not be the sharpest knife in the kitchen but he is sharp enough to know what happens when the owners' expectations are not met in two consecutive years. He's been in the league long enough to know how things work and what the survival rate is for coaches who fail to live up to the optimistic expressions coming out of their very active mouths. Rex certainly doesn't need to be told what the upcoming season means to him.

John, you surprise me with the above.

The point of the article(and I suppose this thread) is that Rex is guaranteed another 22 million dollars or so no matter what happens. Not only that, he got his brother (who I doubt anyone else would hire) a job for who knows how many years.

Rex came to town and shot off his big mouth. Then he proceeded to screw up a very good defense. Now he is hanging on the beach. Despite this, he still even has a fanbase (however small) on this board.

I am NOT saying that Rex doesn't care. I do however agree with the implication that he MIGHT not. No matter what happens he will be very rich, and running his mouth. Who's better than him?

Listened to interviews with the saints coaching staff this week - lots of comments about finding guys to iso on that they've seen on film, chatting with guys to get some pre-work ready for combine interviews, etc....

Rex wasn't on the road with the scouts watching these guys in person all fall. It wouldn't be terrible to have him see a few hit in person, chat with them for the first time, and such. There's so much that goes into scouting that it's not a huge deal to miss a few days here... But it may be nothing in the end

True indeed.

I don't disagree that there's valuable information to be learned by being on the ground during practice, but it's just not the end all be all of scouting. Especially for the HC of the team. He'll get his chance to talk to the guys they're interested in in Indy and again when they have visits. It's just not that big of a deal (to me) to not have the HC at the Senior Bowl considering he can still see everything on film (more than he could in person).

I'm getting carried away because I pointed out that his vacation started a month ago?

I find it humorous how fans project the lifestyle they want on players and coaches.........as if it is in any way relative to what they do.

Here is the reality......Rex deserved a lot of time off........he DESERVED to be fired.

But he wasn't and he had a few weeks off........and now he needs a week off while Whaley and staff are trying to evaluate talent for a defense that has such "specific" requirements?

Basically, you are just wrong for justifying it in that regard.

It's not your boss telling you that you can't take that carribean cruise. Rest assured, Rex will get more than 2-3 weeks f*ckoff time this year. :lol:

As for the implication of hiring his bro.......he could have his bro run the D and know he has someone who understands it........which may be an issue with the unaccountable dunce, Dennis Thurman, that he currently has charged his defense to.

In doing so, he can then decrease his workload.......and work no more, maybe less.

These points have nothing to do with whether you liked the hire or not.

I suppose Wade out dancing and choreographing the song YMCA with his friends is wrong. The guy has a game to play !!

All that matters is what he puts on the field this year. if its hot garbage again, Pegula's will not tolerate it.

book it

and walk away from the vitriol each and all

Rex didn't get enough work done last offseason.

And before I get the obligatory denials from apologists..........even the players say the organization simply took too much for granted.

Badol, I missed this...can you point me at where this was disclosed? Source? Link? I'm genuinely curious, because I haven't grokked that at all

Badol, I missed this...can you point me at where this was disclosed? Source? Link? I'm genuinely curious, because I haven't grokked that at all

There were comments from Hughes I believe essentially saying that in hindsight more work was needed

you actually wrote grokked. I have not read that word since high school.

well done.

BADOL is right about a couple things.

one of them is, he was not prepared coming into the season. Thats a fair cop.

And i do understand the concern he does not take this seriously enough. For me , I just can't imagine that is true of any HC in the NFL

There were comments from Hughes I believe essentially saying that in hindsight more work was needed

rings a bell.

Thought he was speaking of himself, but i can very well imagine he meant across the board