Are You Ready For Bills' LB Demario Davis?; Signs with CLE

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like it. He'd supplement the inside well enough and he already knows the scheme so calls might get called in more smoothly. Seems kinda like a Jim Leonhard move at this stage, there are probably better players out there physically but he understands where people should be and what adjustments to make.

Yolo, or Buffalo Barbarian. What insight do you have on this guy to say we do or do not want him? I'm asking as someone who knows basically nothing about him. I'd just like to get both opinions.

Who knows what the teams is actually looking at but he played 3 seasons under Rex and had over 100 tackles his last two yrs with Rex and he knows the system and he's young so it should be a fit.

http://www.nfl.com/player/demariodavis/2533008/profile

Yolo, or Buffalo Barbarian. What insight do you have on this guy to say we do or do not want him? I'm asking as someone who knows basically nothing about him. I'd just like to get both opinions.

he was clearly targeting him in coverage the 1st game vs jets. He was the one Karlos abused on the TD catch. IMO that shows what he thinks of him. In the 2nd game, he barely played.

Unfortunately if we don't sign Bradham and can't afford anyone better, I guess he's a body.

Edited by YoloinOhio

I'm going to say no. For a few reasons. There are positives and negatives here.

Positives: knows how to tackle. And knows Rex's D.

Negatives: Doesn't make huge plays. Not the best in cvg.

We can find a far cheaper LB with more potential and more play making ability imo in someone who hasn't had the opportunity. Ty Powell is still on the team as wel guys. Don't sleep on him. He would have out played Bradham and probably Brown this year with how those guys played.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/demario-davis?id=2533008

I know nothing about him, but sometimes starting at the beginning and seeing what kind of prospect he was helps bring his picture into focus. Thanks to those with real insight who responded - BB, Yolo, etc. I linked his pre-draft write up from NFL.com. His speed, explosiveness and change of direction abilities are all outstanding. He was the top LB performer in 4 categories. He also has good size. Yet he was projected to be a 5th round pick (according to the linked write up). He was drafted in the 3rd.

It seems he was a raw, small school prospect who possessed great athletic ability. He was actually the kind of prospect I love in the late rounds because sometimes the lack of quality coaching is what's holding them back. But I do not select such players in the third and I certainly expect their ceiling will be apparent within 4 years.

Judging from what I've read I'd say he'd be a cheap, backup level player who knows the system. Probably not a ton of upside to him as a defensive player, but he might hold some value on Specials.

we need two ILBs now

Yes, but one of them needs to be rangy and athletic and able to cover

That's not Brown, and it's definitely not Davis

You can never have enough LBs.

Wouldn't you rather have watched two Preston Browns than one Preston brown and a Tarpley?

See above

We need a David Harris, not a Demarrio Davis

I think him and PB play the same spot. As does Powell, who is probably cheaper.

Davis is also bad. So... there's that.

Powell actually would play the Will, whereas Brown is more of a Mike, which is also what Davis plays.

And yes, I don't think he's very good...and I think his idiotic posing after making a tackle for no gain in Week 17 while down a score with less than 2 minutes remaining in a game they had to have to make the playoffs says a lot about his intelligence.

@TyDunne

Notes: Florida's Antonio Morrison could be one one ILB option (and one vet could become available, too). http://bills.buffalonews.com/2016/01/29/senior-bowl-notebook-floridas-morrison-could-be-the-answer-at-linebacker/

There will be rookie options and, certainly, veteran options. If Davis is released, Ryan will be intrigued.

The 27-year-old Davis, a third-round pick by the Jets in 2012, has started the last three seasons. He had 90 tackles and two sacks this past season, though he struggled in coverage against running backs and was platooned with Erin Henderson the last six games.

Who knows what the teams is actually looking at but he played 3 seasons under Rex and had over 100 tackles his last two yrs with Rex and he knows the system and he's young so it should be a fit.

http://www.nfl.com/player/demariodavis/2533008/profile

back in '85 Hank Bullough brought in Guy Frazier because he "knew the system"....he was horrible....every comment lately is...he knows Rex's system.....

I'm going to say no. For a few reasons. There are positives and negatives here.

Positives: knows how to tackle. And knows Rex's D.

Negatives: Doesn't make huge plays. Not the best in cvg.

We can find a far cheaper LB with more potential and more play making ability imo in someone who hasn't had the opportunity. Ty Powell is still on the team as wel guys. Don't sleep on him. He would have out played Bradham and probably Brown this year with how those guys played.

I forgot about him. He's a good player.

I liked Davis coming out. Seems like it hasn't clicked for him yet but there are plenty of late bloomers out there.

I am more of a whatever on him.Myabe last season to get up and running like bringing in D Harris ( that would have been a good thing)

But someone needs to cleat up. If Bills think he can play then fine.

I sure hope they are drafting LBs too though.